Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Casting Couch

Antonio Brown - Official Thread

25 minutes ago, Steeler said:

AB was a great player on the field and I'm sure he wanted to win a Super Bowl - but he was all about the numbers.

Absolutely. I vividly remember seeing him throw fits when other guys caught passes or even scored TDs because he thought he was open.

• Like 2

Were those quotes really from him?  That sure seems like a different person from twitter AB.  

28 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Were those quotes really from him?  That sure seems like a different person from twitter AB.  

The headline of the two links saying he apologizes and misses Pittsburgh do not sound like twitter AB. I was encouraged when I saw those headlines. When I actually read the transcript that encouragement faded. The entirety of the interview is very much like twitter AB.

1 hour ago, menobrown said:

The headline of the two links saying he apologizes and misses Pittsburgh do not sound like twitter AB. I was encouraged when I saw those headlines. When I actually read the transcript that encouragement faded. The entirety of the interview is very much like twitter AB.

I was speaking more to the grammar in the interview (which was actually decent).  It sounded very unlike twitter AB (who is undecipherable) 

Edited by fred_1_15301

15 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

in PIttsburgh   

with Oakland

The margin of error was so razor thin for these two teams making the playoffs, he could have easily been the difference maker.

6 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Trying to rebuild bridges burnt completely down. 

It’s possible, just gonna take a bit longer.

17 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Trying to rebuild bridges burnt completely down. 

Gotta start somewhere.

2 hours ago, matuski said:

Gotta start somewhere.

True.  However, the tenor of AB's recent rhetoric seems to be "we went through some tough times and I'm big enough to say that it wasn't entirely other peoples fault".  I suspect this mild version of recanting words and actions falls far short of what will be needed to rebuilt bridges, which would need to more of the "this all was entirely my fault" variety.  Because, from the perspective of the outside observer, it pretty much was.

5 hours ago, SeniorVBDStudent said:

I suspect this mild version of recanting words and actions falls far short of what will be needed to rebuilt bridges, which would need to more of the "this all was entirely my fault" variety.  Because, from the perspective of the outside observer, it pretty much was.

I think people in the know are willing to give him a long rope with Roethlisberger. Others, not so much.

Seen he apologized to Big Ben today on insta.  

next week I’m sure he will rip him again lol 

2 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Nothing screams heartfelt apology like doing it on Instagram. :lol: :lol: 

"Mostly you, a little bit of me! Yee yee!!" Yea, nothing creams heart felt apology like starting off with a passive-aggressive joke like that.

Pulling the crazy ex. Accuse you of bad behavior to take attention off her own, trash your rep with friends and work after cutting the crotch out of all your suit pants, slash your tires, and then when she realizes you have moved on she dolls herself up, puts herself in your path, offers it up with maybe some extra kink this time, and sees if you are dumb enough to bite so that she can repeat the drama all over again. 

Lets watch and see if the Steelers are that stupid.  Maybe they are horny and looking for a slump buster..

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

4 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Pulling the crazy ex. Accuse you of bad behavior to take attention off her own, trash your rep with friends and work after cutting the crotch out of all your suit pants, slash your tires, and then when she realizes you have moved on she dolls herself up, puts herself in your path, offers it up with maybe some extra kink this time, and sees if you are dumb enough to bite so that she can repeat the drama all over again. 

Lets watch and see if the Steelers are that stupid.  Maybe they are horny and looking for a slump buster..

I doubt the Steelers would bring him in and start that circus all over again.    AB has burned that bridge down to the ground.

• Like 2

It would be impossible for me to care less about all the commentary and shots people feel the need to give in this thread. All I know is he's got work to do get back in the league, and some of that process will involve legal matters out of his and the leagues control. But all I want to see is continued effort to make amends, to work towards that goal of getting back.  We all know his behavior is erratic and he might unravel at anytime but if you still have reason as a fan or more likely a fantasy investor to see him do well and return all you can ask is for him to own his mistakes and start trying to make amends. He might not do apologies so well and it might not last but sure seems to me like some light is coming on for him about how dire his situation has gotten and what he needs to start working on.

And I'll continue to assert if he keeps on this path he's playing next year.

5 hours ago, menobrown said:

It would be impossible for me to care less about all the commentary and shots people feel the need to give in this thread.

Back at ya. Their opinions are every bit as relevant as yours. :shrug:

18 hours ago, menobrown said:

It would be impossible for me to care less about all the commentary and shots people feel the need to give in this thread. All I know is he's got work to do get back in the league, and some of that process will involve legal matters out of his and the leagues control. But all I want to see is continued effort to make amends, to work towards that goal of getting back.  We all know his behavior is erratic and he might unravel at anytime but if you still have reason as a fan or more likely a fantasy investor to see him do well and return all you can ask is for him to own his mistakes and start trying to make amends. He might not do apologies so well and it might not last but sure seems to me like some light is coming on for him about how dire his situation has gotten and what he needs to start working on.

And I'll continue to assert if he keeps on this path he's playing next year.

Not that it matters what I think but the problem with AB's apologies is that it is difficult to believe that they are sincere.  Someone finally got through to him that he's been his own worst enemy and he so he is tweeting out these half-baked apologies.   I was as big AB fan as anyone but after his behavior over the last 2 years I have had enough of him. 

I hope that he gets the help he needs to live a long and healthy life but I don't care if he ever plays another down in the NFL or not. 

:lmao: Yeah, he's plenty sorry.

• Laughing 1

I’m sorry but he’s just a pathetic human being.    :shrug: 

IMO of course 

There is only 1 team that will take a chance on AB in 2020.  I will name that team, as soon as we know where Brady ends up.

14 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

There is only 1 team that will take a chance on AB in 2020.  I will name that team, as soon as we know where Brady ends up.

If Brady ends up on the Patriots or Raiders, are you still confident AB will be on that team?

3 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

If Brady ends up on the Patriots or Raiders, are you still confident AB will be on that team?

100%.  The only way I see AB ever suiting up for a game again is with a QB that won't put up with his crap...

Brady - Perhaps the only player AB has respect for.  NE let him play last year, but had to let him go for PR purposes.  They would welcome him again, but only if Brady stays.  And if Brady leaves, about the only place that would take both are the Raiders.

Roethlisberger - Too much bad blood in PIT, so this ain't happening

Rodgers - Aaron would be able to handle AB, but GB is too smart to bring in that cancer

Wilson - No need for AB with Lockett & Metcalf

Brees - see Rodgers above

If you ain't on this list, you wouldn't stand a chance with AB as one of your WR's.  And since I don't see a scenario where any of the bottom 4 QB's would be teaming up with him, that just leaves Brady.  Mark my words - AB will never ever catch another NFL pass, unless it's from Brady.

• Like 1

Is it possible that he’s on meds now and his apologies are somewhat sincere?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

Brady - Perhaps the only player AB has respect for.  NE let him play last year, but had to let him go for PR purposes.  They would welcome him again, but only if Brady stays.  And if Brady leaves, about the only place that would take both are the Raiders.

AB will not be playing for NE, no way, no how. They had the chance to bring him back this year and Kraft wouldn't allow it. They ended up taking a huge cap hit and will end up having to pay him a ton of money to appear in one game. The Patriots WOULD NOT welcome him back. He stuck it to both the Pats and Raiders. I don't see any possible way AB would play for either of those teams (even if the Raiders end up with Brady).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

AB will not be playing for NE, no way, no how. They had the chance to bring him back this year and Kraft wouldn't allow it. They ended up taking a huge cap hit and will end up having to pay him a ton of money to appear in one game. The Patriots WOULD NOT welcome him back. He stuck it to both the Pats and Raiders. I don't see any possible way AB would play for either of those teams (even if the Raiders end up with Brady).

He caught at least 1 TD in every game he played last year.  If Brady wants him, Brady will get him.

Just now, TheWinz said:

He caught at least 1 TD in every game he played last year.  If Brady wants him, Brady will get him.

Not evenly remotely true. Brady wanted him back over and over and over again last year. As did BB. But Kraft would not allow it. Kraft isn't budging on this one. Brown has only done worse things since leaving the Pats. They won't be calling him, and if the phone rings they won't be answering.

Things are only going to get nastier between the two sides, as they will be duking it out in the offseason. Brown will want his $10 million that the Pats refused to pay him. And NE will want that much in cap space back from the league. Yet somehow NE is going to bring him back? I REALLY don't see that having ANY CHANCE of happening. Do you think AB will have kind things to say when NE has continued to refuse to pay him the money and they end up in arbitration and then in court?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Not evenly remotely true. Brady wanted him back over and over and over again last year. As did BB. But Kraft would not allow it. Kraft isn't budging on this one. Brown has only done worse things since leaving the Pats. They won't be calling him, and if the phone rings they won't be answering.

Things are only going to get nastier between the two sides, as they will be duking it out in the offseason. Brown will want his $10 million that the Pats refused to pay him. And NE will want that much in cap space back from the league. Yet somehow NE is going to bring him back? I REALLY don't see that having ANY CHANCE of happening. Do you think AB will have kind things to say when NE has continued to refuse to pay him the money and they end up in arbitration and then in court?

AB is a Kardashian.  Do you think Kraft would welcome him back if AB decided to forget the money?  At this point, AB would pay money to remain in the spotlight.

Just now, TheWinz said:

AB is a Kardashian.  Do you think Kraft would welcome him back if AB decided to forget the money?  At this point, AB would pay money to remain in the spotlight.

I doubt it. I truly believe that NE thinks he is toxic and he would not be welcomed back. Even if AB was amenable to not fighting for the money, the NFLPA may not be, as it sets a bad precedent for other players (and may not be allowed under the CBA). The whole NE and AB thing is far from done, and I expect NE, AB, whoever is representing AB, the NFLPA, the NFL, and 31 other teams will have plenty to say about this once things heat back up again.

On a different note, why would ANY team trust Brown at this point? He is a train wreck that and a potential major liability. Even if he is getting treated and medicated, all he needs to do is go off his meds and the team could be named as a party in multiple lawsuits. Does anyone really thing AB is the one playing nice on social media? I highly doubt it. Someone else is posting and apologizing. So no, I don't think Brown has changed (or will change). 

Brown lied or mislead the Patriots from the time he got there. I don't think they will suddenly say "That's ok, no harm, no foul." I really don't see them going anywhere near Brown again, no matter what Brown claims he will be willing to do to get in good graces.

1 hour ago, TheWinz said:

100%.  The only way I see AB ever suiting up for a game again is with a QB that won't put up with his crap...

Roethlisberger - Too much bad blood in PIT, so this ain't happening

Rodgers - Aaron would be able to handle AB, but GB is too smart to bring in that cancer

Wilson - No need for AB with Lockett & Metcalf

Brees - see Rodgers above

If you ain't on this list, you wouldn't stand a chance with AB as one of your WR's.  And since I don't see a scenario where any of the bottom 4 QB's would be teaming up with him, that just leaves Brady.  Mark my words - AB will never ever catch another NFL pass, unless it's from Brady.

One of your underlying premises here is that New Orleans and Green Bay are way smarter than New England.  I'm not sure you have the evidence to back up that claim.

I could see a scenario where Brady leverages his relationship with Kraft to get AB back, but it definitely feels like this is the third rail in dealing with Kraft.

Now if AB would come out with a MASSIVE "Everything that has happened in the last 3 years is ALL my fault" and play the mental illness card, I think the floodgates would open and 6 or more teams would welcome him with open arms, including New England (but not including PIttsburg and Oakland).....but that's a tortured hypothetical because I don't see any evidence that AB would be willing to go there.

15 hours ago, SeniorVBDStudent said:

One of your underlying premises here is that New Orleans and Green Bay are way smarter than New England.  I'm not sure you have the evidence to back up that claim.

I could see a scenario where Brady leverages his relationship with Kraft to get AB back, but it definitely feels like this is the third rail in dealing with Kraft.

Now if AB would come out with a MASSIVE "Everything that has happened in the last 3 years is ALL my fault" and play the mental illness card, I think the floodgates would open and 6 or more teams would welcome him with open arms, including New England (but not including PIttsburg and Oakland).....but that's a tortured hypothetical because I don't see any evidence that AB would be willing to go there.

Anyone taking AB knows going in that he's a loose cannon, able to go to off at any time regardless of what card he plays now.  It is a case of whether or not your willing to bring this cancer to your team for the talent he brings.  My guess is there probably is a team or two willing to risk it.

3 minutes ago, Wise Old Owl said:

Is he still looking at a suspension even if someone picks him up or is that over?

Still looking at suspension. Despite the league slow playing the investigation and essentially keeping him off the field last year they don't give you credit for time served.

Even if he's cleared of sexual investigation charge even someone optimistic about AB returning,  like I remain, believes he'll get a suspension for conduct detrimental to the league due to sheer multitude of incidents.

20 hours ago, menobrown said:

he'll get a suspension for conduct detrimental to the league due to sheer multitude of incidents.

How many of those incidents occurred when he was technically NOT an NFL player?  Does the CBA grant the league the right to suspend players for activities when they are not under contract?

1 hour ago, tangfoot said:

How many of those incidents occurred when he was technically NOT an NFL player?  Does the CBA grant the league the right to suspend players for activities when they are not under contract?

I'm not 100% sure on this, more like in the 95-99% range, but I think once you enter the league anything you do is considered to be done while you are an NFL player.

Even a guy like Elliot got suspended for something he did before he ever played in the league. Can't recall if he had actually signed his contract yet before he did what he was accused, not sure on that but I don't think so.

7 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Even a guy like Elliot got suspended for something he did before he ever played in the league. Can't recall if he had actually signed his contract yet before he did what he was accused, not sure on that but I don't think so.

The incident was from July 2016, after he was drafted.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports a hearing has been scheduled for May in Antonio Brown's grievance against the Raiders

Brown is trying to recoup lost wages following his release. He had been due $30 million in guarantees. Brown has also filed a grievance against the Patriots that has yet to be given a date. Brown's NFL future will now take place in hearings, not the football field.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Feb 20, 2020, 4:08 PM ET

13 hours ago, Faust said:

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports a hearing has been scheduled for May in Antonio Brown's grievance against the Raiders

Brown is trying to recoup lost wages following his release. He had been due $30 million in guarantees. Brown has also filed a grievance against the Patriots that has yet to be given a date. Brown's NFL future will now take place in hearings, not the football field.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Feb 20, 2020, 4:08 PM ET

Lost wages?  The guy didn't play a down for the team and was nothing but trouble.   Cost them two draft picks to boot.  It should be the Raiders suing Mr. Big Chest

I think he has a better case against the Patriots

Edited by Godsbrother
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Lost wages?  The guy didn't play a down for the team and was nothing but trouble.   Cost them two draft picks to boot.  It should be the Raiders suing Mr. Big Chest

Wish that could happen.  

4 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

I think he has a better case against the Patriots

He begged the Raiders to release him. The Raiders complied with his request:

Antonio Brown asks Raiders to release him in Instagram post

The Raiders did void his guaranteed money; however, they went in that direction due to his behaviour during training camp and preseason. NFL contracts have standard language allowing for this option.

I might be missing something; however, it doesn’t appear to me that Antonio Brown has a great case against the Raiders.

• Like 3