Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Casting Couch

Antonio Brown - Official Thread

Rotoworld take:

Bucs signed Antonio Brown to a one-year contract.

The final details of the contract have to be finalized and Brown must go through COVID-19 protocols, but Brown is eligible to play as soon as Week 9 according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Brown and Tom Brady have a relationship dating back years, and Tampa Bay is all in for a 2020 Super Bowl run. For fantasy, it will be difficult for Brown, Chris Godwin, and Mike Evans to see sustained production unless Brady turns into a true MVP candidate for the rest of the season. Brown's upside, however, is undeniable, making him at least a WR3/flex option once he gets his feet wet in the new system. Mr. Big Chest will have to keep his head on straight to make this signing pay off.

RELATED: 

Mike Evans

, Chris Godwin

, Tom Brady

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 23, 2020, 7:06 PM ET

23 minutes ago, Ray Barboni said:

For real. Tampa would be horrible for this year - 

I don't know about that. Brady loves Brown. 

Edited by osubuckeyeman
  • Like 1

Tampa was turning into a team I could root for. Not so much anymore. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, osubuckeyeman said:

I don't know about that. Brady loves Brown. 

I believe he only played 1 half with brady and he was forcing him the ball. His TD was a great back shoulder on the left side of the field for maybe 15-20yards

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RealReactions said:

I believe he only played 1 half with brady and he was forcing him the ball. His TD was a great back shoulder on the left side of the field for maybe 15-20yards

I'm talking about Brady lobbying for Brown in the off season. The idea that wherever Brady went Brown was going.  I believe it got to the point Arians had to come out and state publicly that they were not interested in Brown. My speculation is Brady was very much talking up Brown to get the Bucs on board.  Brown will have a feature role on this team or any team he would have signed with. If you are bringing a guy into your locker room with all the risks that Brown brings you have a plan for him otherwise why take the risks that come along with him.

6 minutes ago, DropKick said:

Odds he plays one game and implodes (on or off the field)?

He’s going to be fine imo. This is a 2-month thing to prove he still has it and to get a big deal next March. We all know he’s nuts but it appears things have been quiet with him for a while and I’m sure he knows this is his last chance. If he has a great few months and the Bucs go far he’ll likely hit a big deal. 

I can't stand the guy, everything he pulled last year showed what a miserable bastard he is.  That said, I will concede it is possible that having everything potentially taken away from him woke him up, and he's legitimately focused and going to just show up and play football.  I don't know what the odds of that are, but they aren't zero.  That alone makes him worth a stash as a WR5 or 6 in deeper roster leagues.  If he's 75% of what he was, he could be a dangerous WR3 down the stretch.  That playoff schedule of Min-Atl-Det is mighty appealing if he does settle in and find a role here with Tampa.  Especially considering that Evans and Godwin have struggled with health this year.

What a crazy week. 

I bought low on Mike Evans earlier this week. Then grabbed AB. 

Not at all sure what I think of all this.

What I do know is that I have two talented WRs who face MN, ATL, and DET during the fantasy playoffs.

Maybe I think this will sort itself out and I like this.

He'll have one decent game and get all puffed up about how he's the greatest.  The next week he'll have one catch for 8 yards.  He'll go off the rails and call Brady a bum on twitter, and go all racist on Arians like he did Mayock, but it'll be recorded this time.  He'll be cut and no be seen again for two years when he appears on some local second rate Dancing with the C-Level Stars ripoff.

49 minutes ago, Capella said:

He’s going to be fine imo. This is a 2-month thing to prove he still has it and to get a big deal next March. We all know he’s nuts but it appears things have been quiet with him for a while and I’m sure he knows this is his last chance. If he has a great few months and the Bucs go far he’ll likely hit a big deal. 

Possibly with the Bucs. Godwin is an impending FA, and will likely want a longer term more money deal than Brown will. 

48 minutes ago, Mene said:

I can't stand the guy, everything he pulled last year showed what a miserable bastard he is.  That said, I will concede it is possible that having everything potentially taken away from him woke him up, and he's legitimately focused and going to just show up and play football.  I don't know what the odds of that are, but they aren't zero.  That alone makes him worth a stash as a WR5 or 6 in deeper roster leagues.  If he's 75% of what he was, he could be a dangerous WR3 down the stretch.  That playoff schedule of Min-Atl-Det is mighty appealing if he does settle in and find a role here with Tampa.  Especially considering that Evans and Godwin have struggled with health this year.

I'm not saying its going to happen, but I'd say there is a decent chance that a fully motivated Brown, might immediately ascend to being Tampa's #1 WR. Its not like Brady has some amazing rapport with Godwin or Evans. He seemed to instantly have one with Brown last year. 

I do agree he's a stash at the 5/6 level, but I think his upside is a ton higher than WR3, especially with that schedule. 

Its entirely possible that this all blows up and is a waste of time, its also possible that the Bucs just added one of the NFL's best WR's, to an offense where nobody can be doubled. 

1 hour ago, Capella said:

Super Bowl is in February(4 months), you must know something already is not good. 😉

That will never happen, no matter what he does in the next couple months. He'll be lucky if anyone invites him to camp next season. 

He's running out of money faster than he can print it. 

I wasn't a big fan of all the off season moves even as a Bucsfan but hard to enjoy Brady when my primary team was the Phins. Still the Bucs are all in this season so I understand in theory why they are wanting to do this. People pointing to Brown and his 1 game with New Eng last season, that was against the Phins when they were free falling to 0-7, I wouldn't gauge much from that performance. 

The Bucs have like Evans, Godwin, Miller, don't they have enough? Maybe get some blue collar WR types to balance it out. What could Edelman have been had for? I still think they needed Lev Bell more than AB but OK. I don't think this ends well. 

-Bucsfan

Edited by Ministry of Pain

32 minutes ago, Enderdog said:

He'll have one decent game and get all puffed up about how he's the greatest.  The next week he'll have one catch for 8 yards.  He'll go off the rails and call Brady a bum on twitter, and go all racist on Arians like he did Mayock, but it'll be recorded this time.  He'll be cut and no be seen again for two years when he appears on some local second rate Dancing with the C-Level Stars ripoff.

Ok, Walt Disney.

24 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Super Bowl is in February(4 months), you must know something already is not good. 😉

That will never happen, no matter what he does in the next couple months. He'll be lucky if anyone invites him to camp next season. 

He's running out of money faster than he can print it. 

I wasn't a big fan of all the off season moves even as a Bucsfan but hard to enjoy Brady when my primary team was the Phins. Still the Bucs are all in this season so I understand in theory why they are wanting to do this. People pointing to Brown and his 1 game with New Eng last season, that was against the Phins when they were free falling to 0-7, I wouldn't gauge much from that performance. 

The Bucs have like Evans, Godwin, Miller, don't they have enough? Maybe get some blue collar WR types to balance it out. What could Edelman have been had for? I still think they needed Lev Bell more than AB but OK. I don't think this ends well. 

-Bucsfan

I mean come on, Scottie Miller isn’t Antonio Brown or even close to him. If Ab is a cancer they’ll just cut him, I’m sure the guaranteed money is probably zero. Not a lot of risk here. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Capella said:

I mean come on, Scottie Miller isn’t Antonio Brown or even close to him. If Ab is a cancer they’ll just cut him, I’m sure the guaranteed money is probably zero. Not a lot of risk here. 

There is pretty much no upside to signing this clown.  He's the definition of a cancer.  :shrug: 

• Like 1

How do we see this affecting Gronk?  Getting too many mouths to feed?

I’ll never understand why there’s still so much interest in this guy. It’s over. Happy for this to be quoted later lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fred_1_15301 said:

There is pretty much no upside to signing this clown.  He's the definition of a cancer.  :shrug: 

Of course there is upside, he’s one of the most talented receivers to play in the last 30 years. Lol. What? 

Yea he’s a cancer. Not like they are giving him 30M guaranteed. If he’s a huge distraction I am sure he’ll be gone. 

• Like 1

Once again message board posters love to avoid the middle ground and either say he's going to be a star or say he's going to be a huge bust.  The in between is the most likely scenario.  Low end WR3 some weeks, couple weeks high end WR2 territory, overall just your regular WR3.

• Like 4

I think the thing that this shows is Brady has a lot more power in this organization than I thought. This team has two solid receivers and Godwin and Evans and decent slot guys in Miller/Watson. Brady got an over-the-hill Gronk on this team and now wanted AB despite him being completely radioactive (and still has pending legal issues) and playing with him for like one game... and he got him signed in a week?

55 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

I think the thing that this shows is Brady has a lot more power in this organization than I thought. This team has two solid receivers and Godwin and Evans and decent slot guys in Miller/Watson. Brady got an over-the-hill Gronk on this team and now wanted AB despite him being completely radioactive (and still has pending legal issues) and playing with him for like one game... and he got him signed in a week?

Rumour is this was in the works all season.  And with Bruce having coached him already, I'm sure he was okay with it.  Like with Gronk, this seems obvious that this was quietly happening all along.

7 hours ago, RushHour said:

I’ll never understand why there’s still so much interest in this guy. It’s over. Happy for this to be quoted later lol

The last time he played he had 1300 yards, 15 TDs and was the WR3 overall in fantasy football.

Calling it over before even seeing him on the field seems a little premature.

Edited by davearm
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, davearm said:

The last time he played he had 1300 yards, 15 TDs and was the WR3 overall in fantasy football.

Calling it over before even seeing him on the field seems a little premature.

Agreed.  This guy could be a league winner.  Plenty to prove here for him if he wants a check next year.  WR corp has been banged up and if he stays healthy I think could be in for a huge 2nd half.  To say he is done is way to premature.  

• Like 1

Doesn't the NFL still have to conduct an investigation into the sexual assault claims, with possible additional suspension time coming?

I swear coming into the year I remember reading "If a team signs him" then the NFL would investigate, etc.

What was this initial 8 week thing? (There was too much to keep track of with AB last year.)

Regarding the sex assault investigation, note that the MDPD investigated and chose not to prosecute. It is a civil suit, not criminal. Not sure if the NFL weighs into civil matters.

9 hours ago, Faust said:

The most important part of that piece to me:

”There's one more winner: Whoever is running the ball for Tampa Bay. If defenses are focused on not getting beat through the air, Ronald Jones is in the incredible position of rushing into soft defensive fronts. Defenses have already been playing the Bucs that way quite a bit and he's averaged 5.3 yards per run in his past three games. If he doesn't make mistakes, Jones will also be a league winner. If he does make mistakes, Leonard Fournettecould replace him and further complete the dream team. Whoever that lead back is for the Buccaneers is an obvious top-12 option.”

Don’t give up on Fournette yet. 

4 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

There aren't enough targets to keep him happy in Tampa. 

I doubt he has the wherewithal to think this, but if he keeps his head on straight for a few months and plays well, he can parlay it into another deal with another team next year where he can be more featured.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zamboni said:

I doubt he has the wherewithal to think this, but if he keeps his head on straight for a few months and plays well, he can parlay it into another deal with another team next year where he can be more featured.

There is no chance he can think that way for 2 weeks let alone the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

Rapoport says it’s for the league minimum with some incentives. lol at people thinking the Bucs shouldn’t take a chance like that. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

There aren't enough targets to keep him happy in Tampa. 

If he can still separate, he'll get enough to keep him happy... maybe more. If Brady did lobby for him, he'll be looking for him.

Evans is nicked up (to put it mildly) and Godwin still does not look right to me. We know Gronk's got an expiration date. If we know one thing about Brady it's he will feed a guy that can get open and loves a tough slot WR.

It will be interesting to say the least. :sadbanana:

Dan Graziano@DanGrazianoESPN

From the I’M JUST SAYIN’ department: Anyone projecting what the 2020 Buccaneers offense will look like with Antonio Brown on it would do well to remember what they thought the 2019 Raiders and Patriots offenses would look like with Antonio Brown on them, and how that worked out.

It's a pretty fascinating signing. 

Clearly, Brady saw / sees value there. My guess is this was heavily influenced by him. 

And clearly there's upside. He'll likley be rusty but we saw him dominate just last year. Not just be good but be great. 

Tampa Bay is a vastly different environment. This was an untenable situation with Robert Kraft and his late wife's outspoken position on domestic abuse. His Spa issues didn't help. That was never going to be withstandable. 

A year later and Tampa is very different.

So assuming best case for Brown, I love it for Brady.

I don't like it for Godwin or Evans or Gronkowski or Brown that much. Simply too many mouths to consistently feed. This feels like a maddening situation each week trying to roll the dice on who will get the targets. But for Brady, it's fantastic. They were ALREADY an embarrassment of riches for receivers. This is ridiculous. 

On the downside, I probably wouldnt have made the move if I were Jason Licht. I just don't think Brown's a guy I want in the locker room. There's diva type stuff a great many WRs deal with. But this seemed way beyond that. But I also completely realize I know essentially nothing about that. I will easily defer to Brady and the other people that DO know what he's like in person. And clearly, they're in favor. 

Should be interesting. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

It's a pretty fascinating signing. 

Clearly, Brady saw / sees value there. My guess is this was heavily influenced by him. 

And clearly there's upside. He'll likley be rusty but we saw him dominate just last year. Not just be good but be great. 

Tampa Bay is a vastly different environment. This was an untenable situation with Robert Kraft and his late wife's outspoken position on domestic abuse. His Spa issues didn't help. That was never going to be withstandable. 

A year later and Tampa is very different.

So assuming best case for Brown, I love it for Brady.

I don't like it for Godwin or Evans or Gronkowski or Brown that much. Simply too many mouths to consistently feed. This feels like a maddening situation each week trying to roll the dice on who will get the targets. But for Brady, it's fantastic. They were ALREADY an embarrassment of riches for receivers. This is ridiculous. 

On the downside, I probably wouldnt have made the move if I were Jason Licht. I just don't think Brown's a guy I want in the locker room. There's diva type stuff a great many WRs deal with. But this seemed way beyond that. But I also completely realize I know essentially nothing about that. I will easily defer to Brady and the other people that DO know what he's like in person. And clearly, they're in favor. 

Should be interesting. 

It will be interesting to watch and follow.

I agree and I also defer to Brady. He knows the signing has the potential to make the team better. That is the bottom line.

• Like 1

I own Godwin and Evans in several leagues, even have them both in a few leagues...if this idiot comes in and kills their value, I'm gonna cry like a little girl. That is all. :bag:

• Laughing 2
  • Sad 1

Traded for Evans, picked up AB pre trade, now this. Unreal.

Not sure how this is all going to play out and hoping things work itself out by week 14 and the fantasy playoffs when both AB and Evans will face:

Week 14: MIN

Week 15: @ATL

Week 16: @DET

Maybe AB will be the clear #1 by then. Maybe not. Hell, maybe I'll start both of them with those matchups. 

They didn't take this big a risk to bring him there to be an auxiliary piece. I expect him to be the alpha out of the gate. I don't buy the "too many mouths to feed" argument either. Every team has too many mouths to feed on their roster. Most end up not getting fed which will happen here. Either Evans or Godwin, or maybe both, are going to take a severe hit to their fantasy value. If Brown is even 70% of what he was 2 years ago, he's going to get his. Game script poses a much bigger threat to Brown's numbers than Evans or Godwin do. This team has a solid defense and could be looking at a bunch of games with big 2nd half leads. As good as Ronald Jones has been, he may get even better with the addition of Brown. That being said, when Brady had dominant teams in New England he liked to keep his foot on the gas for as long as possible so maybe the game script angle is overblown. Either way, I expect Brown to hit the ground running in 2 weeks and not look back. Don't discount that week of experience Brown and Brady had last season. They built obvious chemistry in a short time and it's only going to grow.

• Like 2