What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (3 Viewers)

Why give up a first when the Steelers back is publicly against the wall?  Why give up a first for a potential clubhouse cancer who might also suddenly decide he wants a giant raise? Even if you don't believe that will happen its a big negotiating edge. 
Because it’s a great deal and there will presumably be at least a few teams interested in him. If he’s the missing piece (Packers, Colts, Texans) then you need to get him and shouldn’t be overly concerned with low balling the Steelers. If only 1 team is interested then sure, use whatever leverage you have but I don’t think that will be the case. 

I think the Steelers are banking on several teams being interested in AB.  If that is the case then it doesn't matter that the Steelers want to to be rid of him, the negotiating edge for them will be playing up the fact that they have multiple suitors.
Teams out bidding each other is their only chance of getting a 1st round pick IMO. 

When is the last time a player made a public trade demand and the team got a 1st rounder for him? Especially a 31 year old... 

Teams out bidding each other is their only chance of getting a 1st round pick IMO. 

When is the last time a player made a public trade demand and the team got a 1st rounder for him? Especially a 31 year old... 
I am not sure that Antonio Brown ever publicly demanded a trade but that that's a minor point.      You may be right that no one will give up a 1st round pick but AB isn't your average 31 year old player.   He is in great shape, and in top form, coming off a 15 TD season and at a very reasonable cost for the next 3 years.  If you can deal with his antics he's probably worth it 

looking to aquire him in dynasty now, while things are looking grim.

what should i offer? 

the passive owner's team is crap and in full rebuild.  14 team, ppr, 22 roster size.

a late first 1.14 is my starting point, but will prolly need to spice it up.

31 really is not that old for a wr these days. Just don't sign him for more than 2-3 years. 
It's actually never really been that old for a top end wr.  It's not even too high an age for a WR to switch teams and still have success.  Randy Moss, TO, Rice, Galloway, Derrick Mason, and Boldin all went to new teams after age 30 and had multiple years of success. 

I don't see it that way.  Golden Tate is not half the player AB is and he got a third for a half season rental. Cooper also not nearly as good as AB and he what at the time looked like possible premium first and he's only contractually signed for one more year and more expensive then AB.

If they don't get a first it's because we see an extremely rare star for star trade, like AB for Pat Pete or something like the 49'ers putting a package together with their high second plus additional picks, the kind of package that by most trade value charts would at least be equal to a first.

I don't see it that way.  Golden Tate is not half the player AB is and he got a third for a half season rental. Cooper also not nearly as good as AB and he what at the time looked like possible premium first and he's only contractually signed for one more year and more expensive then AB.

If they don't get a first it's because we see an extremely rare star for star trade, like AB for Pat Pete or something like the 49'ers putting a package together with their high second plus additional picks, the kind of package that by most trade value charts would at least be equal to a first.
Tate and Cooper didn't cancer themselves off their current team and quit on their teammates.  

We will see what they get... I guess I was totally shocked that Steelers got a 3rd for Martavis. The Raiders are sooo stupid.... 

Tate and Cooper didn't cancer themselves off their current team and quit on their teammates.  
Might want to check on some of those Cooper stories getting floated out about him when that trade went down. Besides fact unlike AB there was  a debate if he was even that good but reports came out that he was out of shape, had no passion for the game, did not like football. Those accusations are as bad as anything AB has been accused of IMO but I'm someone who views not willing to put in hard work as the worst kind of teammate.  (Also think those accusations were bunk on Cooper, just saying that's the stories that were out there)

Also just for the record I still strongly contend AB did not quit on his team. He caused a major distraction that led to him not being allowed to play, and rightfully so. But I really think he showed up Sunday thinking he was going to play. To me that's not quitting, that's being selfish and putting himself over the team but I think he'd been allowed to get away with so much previously he thought he could what he did and still play on Sunday. I've debated on here with others the fact I don't think he quit, this is last I'll try and say on that subject because I'm dead tired of arguing it I just don't think it's accurate. He did wrong, just don't think he did that.

Also just for the record I still strongly contend AB did not quit on his team. He caused a major distraction that led to him not being allowed to play, and rightfully so. But I really think he showed up Sunday thinking he was going to play. To me that's not quitting, that's being selfish and putting himself over the team but I think he'd been allowed to get away with so much previously he thought he could what he did and still play on Sunday. I've debated on here with others the fact I don't think he quit, this is last I'll try and say on that subject because I'm dead tired of arguing it I just don't think it's accurate. He did wrong, just don't think he did that.
He didn't practice all week, he didn't show up to the walk through on SAT, he didn't return calls from the Steelers all week so by any measure he didn't do enough to play on Sunday.  The fact that he showed up assuming he would play is irrelevant since he didn't put enough work in during the week.  "He didn't quit" is semantics because he screwed over his teammates and the Steelers by his actions during the week.  It doesn't diminish his actions at all because you think he didn't "quit".

He didn't practice all week, he didn't show up to the walk through on SAT, he didn't return calls from the Steelers all week so by any measure he didn't do enough to play on Sunday.  The fact that he showed up assuming he would play is irrelevant since he didn't put enough work in during the week.  "He didn't quit" is semantics because he screwed over his teammates and the Steelers by his actions during the week.  It doesn't diminish his actions at all because you think he didn't "quit".
I really want to be done with this but one more.

Everyone keeps saying he did not practice all week. Where the reports not that during Wednesdays practice he ran a wrong route and that led to his blow up with Big Ben? I repeat, during Wednesdays practice. If so he did not miss practice all week. Furthermore he had two unexcused absences as near as  I can tell, he missed his MRI exam and the Saturday walk through as I understand he was excused from practice Thursday and Friday.

As for not putting in the work I recall TY Hilton not practicing for weeks and playing this year. That's an apples to oranges missed practice comp but in terms of being prepared and ready to play it's not to me.

I don't view quitting and being a major distraction as the same thing and that's not semantics. He did wrong,  let his teammates down, but neither of those equal quitting.

TY didn't skip meetings when he couldn't practice, so I agree with you his comp is apples to oranges.

He did wrong,  let his teammates down, but neither of those equal quitting.
Maybe if you define quitting instead of simply saying AB didn't quit it would help me understand your POV.  Also, it seems like you are trying to diminish ABs actions because he didn't meet your definition of quitting.  You've said (paraphrasing) - ABs actions were bad, but he didn't quit - I say that's semantics because his actions were just about as bad as you can get during the week of a must-win game.  The Steelers where right to bench him, and his actions during that week should give pause to any team considering him in a trade.  He couldn't even be bothered to return calls from anyone in the Steelers organization.

TY didn't skip meetings when he couldn't practice, so I agree with you his comp is apples to oranges.

Maybe if you define quitting instead of simply saying AB didn't quit it would help me understand your POV.  Also, it seems like you are trying to diminish ABs actions because he didn't meet your definition of quitting.  You've said (paraphrasing) - ABs actions were bad, but he didn't quit - I say that's semantics because his actions were just about as bad as you can get during the week of a must-win game.  The Steelers where right to bench him, and his actions during that week should give pause to any team considering him in a trade.  He couldn't even be bothered to return calls from anyone in the Steelers organization.
If you think AB was any less prepared to play then TY because he missed two days of practice and team meeting we will have to respectfully agree to disagree.

And no not trying to diminish AB's actions in least and while I think you are a good poster and one I rarely disagree with it bothers me that I can try and set the record straight on AB and all you can take away from it is I'm trying to diminish what he did. I just want what he did to be accurately portrayed. You can bury on AB for being a #####, a prima donna, selfish, team cancer,etc, etc. . Pile on him for any of those things and you won't hear a peep out of me. Not a peep. You will also find that multiple times I said the Steelers were right to tell him he was not playing.  But it's not semantics when I say that's not the same thing as quitting. It's just not to me. AB's had a history of getting out of line, of going AWOL and never getting properly disciplined. He just finally got disciplined in week 17. I do not view finally getting disciplined for acting a fool the same as quitting and there is not one single iota of semantics in that statement for me. 

Brown is not as easy. WR’s development time is longer. RB’s can come right in and plug and play for the most part. Conner did a tremendous job.

JuJu will now draw the double teams etc. We will see how productive he will be without Antonio Brown drawing all the attention. Think what you want about Brown....yeah he is acting like a little #####. But he is a phenomenal player......and it is not because he is some Stud physical talent like a Julio Jones or OBJ. He is because of what Gruden pointed out. No one works harder than AB.

Whatever team get’s him will get a first class pro on the practice field and gridiron. The issue is has he become a total malcontent? Or just with the Steelers? I don’t know. I do not have personal insight inside his gray matter. That is for a GM and coach who are paid millions of dollars to figure out.

But make no mistake.......they won’t simply replace Brown so easily. He is a ridiculous talent.
I agree that he has been a phenomenal player.  But I also think his recent antics make it difficult to make the first class pro claim.   

The Steelers have done a remarkable job of finding WR talent.   While it isn't easy to replace the NFL best players, AB turns 31 next summer and perhaps his best days are behind him.  I do think there is a point - maybe when success completely goes to their head - that players lose their edge.  

What exactly is AB's problem anyway?  Can he not feed his family on $1 million a game?

Last edited by a moderator:
What do fantasy stats have to do with anything? You don't think the Steelers offense would be dramatically better with both Bell and Connor? You don't think that's worth the half of a win that would have given them the division title? 
Because there is a correlation with productivity?   Maybe Connor wouldn't have seen many touches with Bell on the field.  Maybe Bell would have pulled an AB if Connor got too much attention.  Either way you roll it, Pittsburgh could roll with Connor and use the cap money somewhere else.

I just want what he did to be accurately portrayed
Everyone knows the list of things AB did during week 17, those aren't up for debate and I think his actions have been accurately portrayed.  We both agree the Steelers punishment was correct, but you balk at the term "quit".  I'm just trying to understand that aspect of it.

all you can take away from it is I'm trying to diminish what he did.
What is your definition of quitting?  If someone meets that definition of quitting (not necessarily AB, any player in general) , what should a team do about it?

You're talking about FF.  I believe matuski (and the Steelers, presumably) are concerned with real football.  Conner was much better in 18 than he was as a rookie, and he is a very capable runner.  He was capable as a receiving back, as well.  Bell, isn't a receiving back, though, he's a RB who can also play WR.  He forces defenses to play differently.  Conner can't run the same routes or do the same things in the passing gmae that Bell does.  He's not the receiving threat that Bell is, and that allows defenses to play differently.
Again, just using the numbers to illustrate his productivity.  As good a player as Bell is, he didn't want to be there.  So you have to move on and its "next man up".   

Bell could have made some money last season.  He also could have signed a deal earlier on.  From I what I recall, the reported numbers weren't that bad.  I think Bell's issue is that he feels like he played for a discount for years and wanted that rectified.  So Bell has what he wanted - his health and freedom.

Really?  Please explain.
Ok.

Let's start with debunking the JuJu premise.  JuJu is voted team MVP I believe the day or within a day or two of AB's blowup. Near as I can tell that's all anyone has to go on regarding this being the issue. That's flimsy by itself but does not jive with fact AB has been acting off since pre-camp. Also big problem with the JuJu premise is that as far as I know practice was going fine until AB ran a wrong route and Ben said to "get him out of here". That makes the JuJu premise very flimsy to me.

Next there may be nothing. There may not be a teammate he has an issue with, maybe he's just taken to many shots to the head. I don't think that's the case but possible.

Most of all please note I'm not trying to justify AB's actions. I've been reading and thinking about this a lot since it happened, after all up until last week he's been my favorite player on my favorite team for years and on top of that on a lot of dynasty teams and typically one of my biggest redraft players.  For me when a Steeler is leading my fantasy team there is no better joy.  You see me posting a lot in the AB thread because this is a big deal to me, I hated seeing this go down like this so I'm trying understand what led to this. Reality is there may not a valid excuse or put another way even if there is something bothering him and we knew what it was it's highly possible we'd think he was just being a big baby, lacking being a professional, narcisstic, etc,etc.

Next before I get into the player, Big Ben, he has the issue with please note I'm not trying to blame Big Ben because while on the surface it seems like he could have smoothed things over better, I just am not privy to their relationship or how bad AB's antics were that led to this and led to Big Ben actions towards AB. Big Ben has to lead the team, maybe he just is doing what he thinks a leader should do. I say maybe, I got hard time with Big Ben going public with negative comments on his teammates.

So of course this all boils down to his relationship with Big Ben and please remember what I just wrote, I'm not trying to justify AB, I'm trying to understand how it got to this point for him. And I arrived at my premise, which might be faulty, but piecing together various reports. It's a working theory, might be dead wrong, but this has all been reported by credible writers and  I'm just piecing together various reports.

Whatever is going on with AB seems to have started before the season.  Big Ben seemingly won a power struggle when he got rid of Haley and got his guy Fichtner.  Now this seems normal, most teams try to placate their franchise QB. I don't think AB took it so well, I'm guessing he felt disrespected and feels Big Ben's voice was heard, not his. Then you have several instances with him and Big Ben where he seems to want some kind of respect that Big Ben is not willing to give. Big Ben won't call him his number one WR on his radio show as example.  The argument he had with the ex-employee of the team on twitter was  I believe someone very loyal to Big Ben, this is not lost on AB.  Then in practice when Big Ben throws the ball in disgust and says to get AB out of here he lost it. I feel this is what we know but likely a lot of things behind the scenes causing tension between the two, tension I believe has been ongoing all year and I believe it started when they got rid of Haley and turned more control of the offense over to Big Ben. That's where it started, from there Big Ben asserted more control caused AB to not feel "respected" by the franchise or his QB.

What is your definition of quitting?  If someone meets that definition of quitting (not necessarily AB, any player in general) , what should a team do about it?
They got a dictionary for that but if AB was healthy and failed to make himself available to play I'd have labeled him a quitter. If he was active but did not like way he was being used and refused to enter the game I'd have labeled him a quitter. As is I label him as someone who let his team down with his selfish actions.. In real world terms he got fired for week 17, he did not quit.

They got a dictionary for that but if AB was healthy and failed to make himself available to play I'd have labeled him a quitter. If he was active but did not like way he was being used and refused to enter the game I'd have labeled him a quitter. As is I label him as someone who let his team down with his selfish actions.. In real world terms he got fired for week 17, he did not quit.
Ok.

GB has #12 and #32.  Not sure if GB would give up the 12, but if they would, how does that work?  Pitt has to eat the dead cap when they trade him, does that mean GB only has to count his salary against their cap & not the pro-rated parts of his signing bonus (since Pitt will be eating that in 2019)?  If that's the case, that makes Brown much more appealing to other teams, IMO.  If you get rid of his pro-rated bonuses, AB's cap hits for another team would be around $15M, $11M, and $12.5M (I think).  John Ross was picked at #9 in 2018, and his first 3 years cap hits were $3.1M, $3.9M, and $4.7M.  

If the cap hits for Brown are correct (without his pro-rated bonuses), a lower end top-10 draft pick might not be too prohibitive.  The team trading for him would have to accept anywhere from and extra $7M to $12M in cap hit over the next 3 years (probably less of a difference, as the cap has increased each of the last 2 years, and therefore, so too would the compensation for those players picked at these spots), but they'd get an established All-Pro WR, and not a speculative rookie.

That being said, I'm not sure if GB would work; they have Adams, and Rodgers seems to love him.  If AB couldn't handle being the #1, with a rising #2, I don't know how well he'd handle being the WR 2 or, WR 1B.
Yes, 100% this is how it works, but don't forget about the future bonuses, those will count when paid.  He's due a roster bonus in March, so if he's traded before that's paid the new team will be responsible for that and his cap number will be $15.1M.  If PIT doesn't trade him before that, they'll eat that too.

Because there is a correlation with productivity?   Maybe Connor wouldn't have seen many touches with Bell on the field.  Maybe Bell would have pulled an AB if Connor got too much attention.  Either way you roll it, Pittsburgh could roll with Connor and use the cap money somewhere else.
You're ignoring having them both in the field and you're also ignoring how they performed when Connor got hurt. If they had them both they would have had at least on one when Connor went down. Wins and losses have nothing to do with fantasy replacement points. 

Again, just using the numbers to illustrate his productivity.  As good a player as Bell is, he didn't want to be there.  So you have to move on and its "next man up".   

Bell could have made some money last season.  He also could have signed a deal earlier on.  From I what I recall, the reported numbers weren't that bad.  I think Bell's issue is that he feels like he played for a discount for years and wanted that rectified.  So Bell has what he wanted - his health and freedom.
But the FF numbers don’t always translate to real football value.

Bell stresses defenses in ways Conner doesn’t, regardless of their FF production.

But the FF numbers don’t always translate to real football value.

Bell stresses defenses in ways Conner doesn’t, regardless of their FF production.
Like I said, Bell didn't want to be there, at least not at a price the Steelers wanted to pay.   Connor was a reasonable replacement; possibly an excellent one when you factor in salary and what that could mean at other positions.  He wasn't the reason they missed the play-offs.

Like I said, Bell didn't want to be there, at least not at a price the Steelers wanted to pay.   Connor was a reasonable replacement; possibly an excellent one when you factor in salary and what that could mean at other positions.  He wasn't the reason they missed the play-offs.
Again, was he?

Seems they missed by a hair.

A crazy concept now, I get it, that their best player and one of the best players in the league would have made a difference.

matuski said:
Ahem... Lions.
I would welcome him to the Lions so that he gets the top CB and Stafford ignores him while he throws repeatedly to my guy Golladay. Of course by week 3 he will be going full blown nuts on the sidelines in Stafford's face when they lose and he gets 3 targets.

DropKick said:
:doh:

Week 14. Steelers vs. Raiders. James. Connor is out. Steelers rush for 32 total yards. Lose by 3 points. You don't think Bell helps them win that game? You don't think Connor has a shot of being healthy if they also had Bell all year? They missed the playoffs by half of a game. Half. Steelers aren't half a game better with Bell? You're crazy, dude. 

Not sure why Bell is talked about so much here but at the time I wanted him to take the one year franchise offer and was bummed he did not. Now with hindsight I'm 100% sure I would not change a thing. The teams gets $14M in cap space carried over and maybe most of all they were able to find out what they had in Conner/Samuels going forward.

Really could care less if Bell may or may not have got them into the playoffs and if we are going to play that game, history suggest Bell would not have been around to help if Steelers made it anyway.

Not sure why Bell is talked about so much here but at the time I wanted him to take the one year franchise offer and was bummed he did not. Now with hindsight I'm 100% sure I would not change a thing. The teams gets $14M in cap space carried over and maybe most of all they were able to find out what they had in Conner/Samuels going forward.

Really could care less if Bell may or may not have got them into the playoffs and if we are going to play that game, history suggest Bell would not have been around to help if Steelers made it anyway.
Because it’s a FF message board, and people are conflating FF value & real NFL value.

The comment was made about how players like AB and Bell are hard to replace.  That comment was with regards to real football.  Someone posted how Bell was easily replaced & his first support For that claim was that Conner was 6th in his league. 

Sure, Juju is putting up good ff numbers, and sure Conner put up good ff numbers.  But neither are Bell or AB.  Conner did not (& probably will not) stress defenses like Bell does, and we don’t know how Juju will fare without AB drawing the focus of opposing D’s.  A DC has to gameplay differently against Bell than Conner, and for AB than Juju.  That’s just a fact of real football, regardless of whether they put up good ff stats or not.

How much less could you care? Just a little bit less, or a lot less? 

Send him to New England. They need a high-paid, greatest of all time WR to slow down this offense!

:doh:

Week 14. Steelers vs. Raiders. James. Connor is out. Steelers rush for 32 total yards. Lose by 3 points. You don't think Bell helps them win that game? You don't think Connor has a shot of being healthy if they also had Bell all year? They missed the playoffs by half of a game. Half. Steelers aren't half a game better with Bell? You're crazy, dude. 
How do you know Bell isn't out in week one with a strained ego?

If the Steelers can't beat the Raiders maybe they didn't deserve to be in the play-offs.

And keep slapping yourself in the head until until the CTE kicks in.

How do you know Bell isn't out in week one with a strained ego?

If the Steelers can't beat the Raiders maybe they didn't deserve to be in the play-offs.

And keep slapping yourself in the head until until the CTE kicks in.
Obviously Bell would have helped but it was the two 4th quarter TD drives the defense gave up that really cost them the game

Oh no, Brown removed the Steelers from Twitter. Whatever are they going to do, say it isn't so. I thought Bell was bad but this piece of crap is the biggest baby on earth. They cant get rid of him soon enough. 

It sure seems like AB doesn't want to be a Steeler any longer.  Therefore, I hope one of two things happen:

1. There is a bidding war for his services and the Steelers get multiple picks with one at least one being a first (come on OAK :lol:  )
  2. The Steelers trade him somewhere in the NFC with a bad QB situation and he has a stat line of 70/850/ 3  :lol:  

Bronco's would make some sense, traded away DT, Sanders with a torn Achilles and probably done, Sutton struggled once Sanders went down and could use some seasoning. Bronco's have a nice chunk of cap space and a high 2nd round pick to trade. Bronco's aren't currently contenders and they don't play each other in 2019 like the Colts. IIRC, Sanders had some pretty negative things to say about Big Ben once he left the Steelers, Brown may be attracted to that.

Users who are viewing this thread