What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (5 Viewers)

Bronco's would make some sense, traded away DT, Sanders with a torn Achilles and probably done, Sutton struggled once Sanders went down and could use some seasoning. Bronco's have a nice chunk of cap space and a high 2nd round pick to trade. Bronco's aren't currently contenders and they don't play each other in 2019 like the Colts. IIRC, Sanders had some pretty negative things to say about Big Ben once he left the Steelers, Brown may be attracted to that.
As a Broncos fan, Brown would make the offense dramatically better, Keenum a better QB, and would be the unquestioned 1 (with Sanders unlikely to be healthy at the start of the season and Sutton still a work in progress), but not sure how I'd feel about getting this dramatic crybaby on the team.  

According to Jerry Rice, Brown really wants to play for the 49ers. That makes sense for both sides to me. Brown for the 49ers 2nd rounder plus a little sugar, if they are 100% fully committed to getting him out of Pittsburgh. 

According to Jerry Rice, Brown really wants to play for the 49ers. That makes sense for both sides to me. Brown for the 49ers 2nd rounder plus a little sugar, if they are 100% fully committed to getting him out of Pittsburgh. 
I know the 49ers aren't giving up the 2nd over all pick but if I am the Steelers I'm not sure the #36 pick is going to swing it so it would be depend on what the sugar is. 

Aside from the diva BS, Brown is still among the league's best WRs, is reasonably priced and wrapped up for 3 years.   If he is traded to a team he wants to play for he could be a bargain and if he does start to decline or is a PITA he can be cut after any one of those years with zero affect on the cap.

If I'm the Steelers GM, I chuckle and than call Buffalo

Aside from the diva BS, Brown is still among the league's best WRs, is reasonably priced and wrapped up for 3 years.   If he is traded to a team he wants to play for he could be a bargain and if he does start to decline or is a PITA he can be cut after any one of those years with zero affect on the cap.
The guy can still play and divas usually show up for at least a year or two for their new team, like moss did with new England.

Jerry Rice also said Antonio Brown is a “total and complete team player,” so what can we believe?
AB acted like a baby and failed to report for three days because mean old Ben yelled at him at practice and his teammates didn't vote him team MVP for the 5th time.    Then he had his agent call his head coach the night before the game to tell him he was going to play on Sunday and was hurt when he finally showed up and wasn't allowed to play.

Believe what you want but does that sounds like a total team player? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Godsbrother said:
AB acted like a baby and failed to report for three days because mean old Ben yelled at him at practice and his teammates didn't vote him team MVP for the 5th time.    Then he had his agent call his head coach the night before the game to tell him he was going to play on Sunday and was hurt when he finally showed up and wasn't allowed to play.

Believe what you want but does that sounds like a total team player? 
In case any NFL GMs are listening none of the above is true ;)    AB is a complete team player, plus look at those eye popping stats!

Please come up with something new. Seen this tired joke too many times from you.
If someone says something that is basically your exact thoughts on a subject, something that has never been  so in line with your thoughts ever before, would " I couldn't agree more" be the same as "I could agree more"?

This is such a simple thing to understand. It's why it bothers me so much. And yes, like Dan said, I do it to educate. Your welcome. 

fantasycurse42 said:
49ers fan here, please keep this poison away from our newly signed and very expensive QB. 

TIA. 
WHICH TEAM WILL ANTONIO BROWN PLAY FOR WEEK 1 2019

San Francisco 49ers+211

New York Jets+555

Oakland Raiders+606

Arizona Cardinals+708

Miami Dolphins+1015

Dallas Cowboys+1117

Indianapolis Colts+1324

Pittsburgh Steelers+403

FIELD+302

WHICH TEAM WILL ANTONIO BROWN PLAY FOR WEEK 1 2019

San Francisco 49ers+211

New York Jets+555

Oakland Raiders+606

Arizona Cardinals+708

Miami Dolphins+1015

Dallas Cowboys+1117

Indianapolis Colts+1324

Pittsburgh Steelers+403

FIELD+302
This is the exact move a seasoned competitive owner would make sure his GM avoids.

A quote from the 49ers thread sums it up perfectly:

He's on a perennial playoff team (most years anyway lol), with a HOF QB, is a top 3 highest paid WR, led the league in targets and TDs, and hes STILL not happy.

Why would they subject Jimmy G to that after investing all of that money into him, especially as A) Brown will certainly start to decline within a season or 2 & B) they’re a lot more than a diva WR from being competitive. 

Give Jimmy a full no stress year to progress. If he signs with them, after 30 years as a fan, Jes York’s continued reckless ownership might force my hand. I mean, how much worse can it be? Excluding a few solid Harbaugh years (who he helped force out), this has been as bad a franchise in football since 2000 as almost any of them.

A quote from the 49ers thread sums it up perfectly:

He's on a perennial playoff team (most years anyway lol), with a HOF QB, is a top 3 highest paid WR, led the league in targets and TDs, and hes STILL not happy.

How do you know what makes him happy?  Maybe the only thing that he wants is a SB win.  He's been in the same organization all his career - maybe the issue is actually with the Steelers (see the Bell situation).  

You could replace a few of those words in your quote and perfectly describe Kevin Durant.  Do you think the Warriors should have not signed him because he was a "snake"?

How do you know what makes him happy?  Maybe the only thing that he wants is a SB win.  He's been in the same organization all his career - maybe the issue is actually with the Steelers (see the Bell situation).  

You could replace a few of those words in your quote and perfectly describe Kevin Durant.  Do you think the Warriors should have not signed him because he was a "snake"?
This is a terrible comparison. The Warriors were already set up to win without Durant, plus they had a seasoned coach who could handle all of the personalities. If he can handle Draymond, he can handle Durant. 

If you really feel this way, I’ll come up with a list of props (on and off the field) and we’ll discuss odds if he signs with the 49ers - it’ll be a disaster! 

Every time I see this thread bumped I think of Michael Irvin on one of the TNF pregame shows last season saying something to the effect that, "team's who invest big money in WR's don't win championships."

Look down the list of Super Bowl champs... dude's got a point.

Every time I see this thread bumped I think of Michael Irvin on one of the TNF pregame shows last season saying something to the effect that, "team's who invest big money in WR's don't win championships."

What about teams who invest big money in WRs then trade them away leaving big dead money?

This is a terrible comparison. The Warriors were already set up to win without Durant, plus they had a seasoned coach who could handle all of the personalities. If he can handle Draymond, he can handle Durant. 

If you really feel this way, I’ll come up with a list of props (on and off the field) and we’ll discuss odds if he signs with the 49ers - it’ll be a disaster! 
He's on a perennial playoff team (most years anyway lol), -- Durant made the finals once and was on a perennial playoff team 

with a HOF QB, --played with Harden and Westbrook, two other league MVPs and best players in the league

is a top 3 highest paid WR,  --easily one of the top grossing $ NBA players

led the league in targets and TDs, --scoring leader four years and league MVP

and hes STILL not happy.  --….and still wasn't happy

I'm just saying that we don't know internally everything that is going on with the Steelers.  Everyone always wants to blame the player.  The Steelers have been a cluster the last few years.

I'm not sure that is true. I mean, it applies to New England and Seattle, but Alshon Jeffery(top-10) and Demaryius Thomas(top-5) were paid among the league leaders at WR when the Eagles and Broncos won Super Bowls. Anquan Boldin was also highly paid in Baltimore, so much so, that they shipped him out the following offseason. 

Godsbrother said:
I know the 49ers aren't giving up the 2nd over all pick but if I am the Steelers I'm not sure the #36 pick is going to swing it so it would be depend on what the sugar is. 

I was thinking a mid round pick, with incentives, if Brown has say, 100 catches, or 1,300 yards, or 10+TD's. So like a 2 in 2019, and a 5 in 2020, that could become a 3 if certain things happen.

I think Brown could absolutely still be the among the best WR's in the league, but the fact that this is so public, and the owner is basically saying "we don't want him" combined with his age, could really make this a buyer's market. 

The Bell situation was 100% about guaranteed money.   If the Steelers would have given Bell 17/million per season and 30-40 million guaranteed he would have been happy as a clam. 

The issue with AB is something else but no one is exactly sure what.

The Bell situation was 100% about guaranteed money.   If the Steelers would have given Bell 17/million per season and 30-40 million guaranteed he would have been happy as a clam. 

The issue with AB is something else but no one is exactly sure what.
This is the crux of it to me. By most tangible measurements he should be happy. Disappointed they haven't had more play-off success? Sure but disappointed and Enfant terrible are two different things. If he goes to another team I would bet against it being a better football situation or a better situation for someone who appears to need a lot of "appreciation". If he isn't content in a perennial "cover of Madden" type situation how will he feel about playing out what should be the apex of his career in relative obscurity?

This is the crux of it to me. By most tangible measurements he should be happy. Disappointed they haven't had more play-off success? Sure but disappointed and Enfant terrible are two different things. If he goes to another team I would bet against it being a better football situation or a better situation for someone who appears to need a lot of "appreciation". If he isn't content in a perennial "cover of Madden" type situation how will he feel about playing out what should be the apex of his career in relative obscurity?
This is just my opinion but I don't think AB's main issue is how the team has performed in the playoffs.   I am sure he would love to be in a Super Bowl but if it came down to a choice between a season that where he broke the reception, yards and/or TD record vs winning the SB but having a sub 1,000-yd season he would rather have the record setting season. 

If someone says something that is basically your exact thoughts on a subject, something that has never been  so in line with your thoughts ever before, would " I couldn't agree more" be the same as "I could agree more"?

This is such a simple thing to understand. It's why it bothers me so much. And yes, like Dan said, I do it to educate. Your welcome. 
You’re 

This is just my opinion but I don't think AB's main issue is how the team has performed in the playoffs.   I am sure he would love to be in a Super Bowl but if it came down to a choice between a season that where he broke the reception, yards and/or TD record vs winning the SB but having a sub 1,000-yd season he would rather have the record setting season. 
I agree with this. He is definitely more of a "me" guy.

I'd like to see him end up with a team with no Super Bowl chance and a huge downgrade @ QB. Denver being one place they are talking about a destination. Yikes for his stats if this is the case, at least as it looks now.

I agree with this. He is definitely more of a "me" guy.

I'd like to see him end up with a team with no Super Bowl chance and a huge downgrade @ QB. Denver being one place they are talking about a destination. Yikes for his stats if this is the case, at least as it looks now.
Buffalo would be perfect, but I'm guessing NFC

Maybe Baltimore. He can watch Jackson run around 

He's on a perennial playoff team (most years anyway lol), -- Durant made the finals once and was on a perennial playoff team 

with a HOF QB, --played with Harden and Westbrook, two other league MVPs and best players in the league

is a top 3 highest paid WR,  --easily one of the top grossing $ NBA players

led the league in targets and TDs, --scoring leader four years and league MVP

and hes STILL not happy.  --….and still wasn't happy

I'm just saying that we don't know internally everything that is going on with the Steelers.  Everyone always wants to blame the player.  The Steelers have been a cluster the last few years.
Do you think Durant would've been happier playing for the Atlanta Hawks? 

@fantasycurse42 I think when teams consider making personnel decisions, they should replicate what the Patriots have done.  They had no problem signing "diva" Randy Moss.  They signed L Blount after he was cut by the Steelers and he ended up being instrumental in their playoff run that year.  They traded for Josh Gordon.  The Patriots will gamble on talent over any personal problems.

It's risk/reward on what the 49ers would have to give up on him.  Patriots traded a 5th for Gordon.  If Gordon was focused, they obtained one of the best WR to play.  If he didn't work out, all they lost was a 5th round pick - the odds of drafting someone at that spot that could duplicate Gordon are astronomically low.  Same logic applies to Brown.  If the price isn't too steep, they have to try to get him.

@fantasycurse42 I think when teams consider making personnel decisions, they should replicate what the Patriots have done.  They had no problem signing "diva" Randy Moss.  They signed L Blount after he was cut by the Steelers and he ended up being instrumental in their playoff run that year.  They traded for Josh Gordon.  The Patriots will gamble on talent over any personal problems.

It's risk/reward on what the 49ers would have to give up on him.  Patriots traded a 5th for Gordon.  If Gordon was focused, they obtained one of the best WR to play.  If he didn't work out, all they lost was a 5th round pick - the odds of drafting someone at that spot that could duplicate Gordon are astronomically low.  Same logic applies to Brown.  If the price isn't too steep, they have to try to get him.
Gordon was also playing a rookie deal, I believe? 

Regardless, the Pats have BB & TB to lay the law of the land, their way or the highway - I don't think Jimmy G and Kyle Shanahan command the same respect. 

The Pats can get away with it, don't think any other team could do what they do with the players... Maybe the Saints with Brees/Payton, which is why they brought in Dez, maybe... But AB would come into SF and play by his own rules. They aren't competitive enough now where I think he makes a big enough difference to jeopardize the future.

Gordon was also playing a rookie deal, I believe? 

Regardless, the Pats have BB & TB to lay the law of the land, their way or the highway - I don't think Jimmy G and Kyle Shanahan command the same respect. 

The Pats can get away with it, don't think any other team could do what they do with the players... Maybe the Saints with Brees/Payton, which is why they brought in Dez, maybe... But AB would come into SF and play by his own rules. They aren't competitive enough now where I think he makes a big enough difference to jeopardize the future.
I agree with BB and TB.  But if you don't have confidence your QB and head coach can lead and keep the locker room focused, do you seriously want them on your team?  That would be one of the first characteristics I would want in a coach.

I agree with BB and TB.  But if you don't have confidence your QB and head coach can lead and keep the locker room focused, do you seriously want them on your team?  That would be one of the first characteristics I would want in a coach.
WTF do I know about a guy they paid $140mm to who had previously started 4 (?) games for them? 

I do question the ownership, I'm pretty vocal about that over in the SF thread. 

AB reiterates that an interview is "coming soon"

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/15/antonio-brown-reiterates-that-an-interview-is-coming-soon/

Steelers (for now) receiver Antonio Brown has allowed people like coach Mike Tomlin and owner Art Rooney II to speak about Brown without rebuttal. The rebuttal apparently is coming.

Brown said Tuesday on Twitter that an “interview [is] coming soon.”

That message came minutes after Brown posted this message: “Stand up for yourself and stop allowing others to tell u who u are what u are and how u are. Many are watching your every step so be you and be consistent. Via Pops @DeionSanders.”

It’s a good observation, but we’ll add this to it: “Get your side of the story out there before the other side of the story hardens into presumed truth.”

Although Brown has been pushing back against the Steelers, he has yet to provide his version of any of the events that resulted in him missing a key Week 17 game. He needs to do it, sooner than later.

And if he wants it to be credible, Brown needs to pick an interviewer who will ask tough but fair questions aimed at getting to the bottom of the situation, drawing out all relevant evidence while also testing his assertions with common sense and established facts.

WTF do I know about a guy they paid $140mm to who had previously started 4 (?) games for them? 

I do question the ownership, I'm pretty vocal about that over in the SF thread. 
Yeah, that was incredibly dumb on their part.  There are several QBs who have the career stats and accolades as proof they deserve that type of money and still don't earn that.  That decision will really cripple them for a long time.  

Yeah, that was incredibly dumb on their part.  There are several QBs who have the career stats and accolades as proof they deserve that type of money and still don't earn that.  That decision will really cripple them for a long time. 
It wont. Paraag Marathe is a numbers/contract/salary cap whiz and they can get out of the deal if he doesnt pan out without costing them an arm and a leg.

I have zero problem with them paying Jimmy what they paid him. He will be fine.

It wont. Paraag Marathe is a numbers/contract/salary cap whiz and they can get out of the deal if he doesnt pan out without costing them an arm and a leg.

I have zero problem with them paying Jimmy what they paid him. He will be fine.
Interesting, I didn't know that.  I'll need to read up on his contract language some more.

In the past 2 years, AB has been paid 33M. His current contract has 3 years remaining for a shade under 39. By him squawking now, he can force a trade to a new team who will pay him big, new bucks. And they will have to, after giving up draft picks.  

We’ve seen this play out before with Darrell’s Revis as a jet. If I recall, Revis insisted on a front-loaded, 4 year 60M contract that paid out roughly 40M over the first two years. Once it was time for the team-friendly 10M Years 3 and 4, Revis held out to get back to the 20M/year he was accustomed to. At 31, Antonio doesn’t have time to play out the team friendly 3 year 39M deal. 

Lastly, Antonio is vindictive AF and wants to stick it to the Steelers. What he can do is force his way out and mess up their cap for 2019, as his buddy Le’veon did in 2018. The risk: Pittsburgh controls where AB goes, so he could be exiled to Buffalo, Arizona, Denver or Washington 

Bankerguy said:
I feel like Tampa with Arians and Evans is the best fit. 
Have you not been following this thread? Cry baby b@@@@ Brown doesn't like sharing the ball. Any team with a true #1 receiver will & should stay far far away from this cancer.

Best fits are probably Arizona, Washington, San Fran, NYJ, Buffalo, Miami, Oakland, Denver, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Carolina, and Philly. Teams without a true #1 WR (RIP Alshon's hands). 

I think it's more likely that the Steelers try and trade him to the NFC, and 0 chance they trade him in division. Some people online are talking about him going to New England, you have to be delusional to think they'd pair him with Brady. 

With rumors being he really wants to go to San Francisco, if I'm the Steelers I dont even entertain any offers from them. Unless they are mind blowing, send him to a bottom dweller 

Users who are viewing this thread