What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (12 Viewers)

Does he really want to play chicken with the Steelers.  

I mean, we saw how that worked out for Leveon.
Not saying it would be smart, but apparently "he doesn't need football".  He might change his tune when he stops getting a paycheck, but I think the Steelers aren't going to get what they want and he isn't going go to a team he wants so he'll be stubborn and sit.

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/1104023773475491845?s=21

“GM Kevin Colbert said last week #Steelers would not give permission to Drew Rosenhaus to find trade for AB, but they would keep him in the loop. When they kept him in the loop about possible trade to Buffalo, 84 said he wouldn't report.”
The Steelers or bills couldn’t figure this out themselves? That alone makes me think the Steelers are pretty dumb. Obviously the bills have proved it over the years.

The roster bonus is creating an artificial deadline.  Teams who are interested think the Steelers will sell low because of his antics and because of the roster bonus.

If he's not traded and the Steelers pay the bonus, there's no longer any incentive to move him for anything that doesn't make sense to the Steelers and the market price will increase again.  

He may not get traded until draft day, or later even.
On the flip side, teams have cap space now, but are about to spend it in the next couple of weeks. How many teams will just set that cap space aside for Brown?  Teams are going to want to get better now. 

The number of teams willing to trade for him will decrease and it's not like teams are knocking down the doors right now. This whole trade market for Brown has seemed like a charade manufactured by Pittsburgh since the beginning.  I doubt that market for Brown increases with time in my opinion.   It's crazy to believe this situation considering how talented and productive Brown has been. 

Winners and loser of this AB fiasco:

Losers:

1. Rapaport- he's been wrong before but nothing this credibility draining.  I mean multiple reports say this deal died Wednesday. As of right now he still refuses to admit he was wrong and is trying to act like they tried to complete the trade late last night and it fell apart. By default he made NFL Network and Tom Pellisierrio(sp?) look bad.

2. Colbert/Steelers: I like Colbert a great deal as a GM. He did not ask for this but he sure does not know how to handle this either.  They should have never said they were shopping him, don't matter if whole world knew it they should have taken page out of Gettleman/Giants page and deny it. He should never have said  the "3 team already called comment".  I imagine he thought when saying that he was driving home that teams are interested but all most NFL people heard was "you are telling me the most prolific WR in the game has been available for a few weeks and only 3 teams out of 31 are interested". He should have got out in front of this silly Friday ultimatum deadline story.  Everyone knew AB was going to want more money, at that point you have to involve AB/Rosenhaus and early, it appears to me he let them  get involved at the end instead and it just blew up in his face. Again I like Colbert,  happy to have him as GM of the Steelers, I'd not want to rely on him playing poker well if my life depended on it.

3. AB.  He has tarnished his name and he's going to take it in the wallet.  Way he has handled this he's lost leverage. At this point I think he's going to have to suck it up and play on his contract or get some kind of token thing where a team guarantees his 2019 pay but all he ever had to do was be active week one to get that. He can always rehab his image in 2019 and try again for more pay next year but more difficult at 32 trying for extension.

Winners:

1. Not sure if there is one other then 3 other teams in AFC North.

Does he really want to play chicken with the Steelers.  

I mean, we saw how that worked out for Leveon.
You say as the Steelers missed the playoffs. Teams don’t need the distraction. Worse yet Brown could report and act like an ### until they trade him. It’s better for everyone if he moves on.

I think it's still possible he is moved shortly for anything at or better than what compensatory pick they could get in a year with no guaranteed contract extension. They all move on and the pick is a year earlier than the compensatory pick. If it doesn't happen soon this could drag on a long time.

You say as the Steelers missed the playoffs. Teams don’t need the distraction. Worse yet Brown could report and act like an ### until they trade him. It’s better for everyone if he moves on.
The Steelers didn't miss the playoffs because they didn't have Leveon.  Conner and Jaylen Samuels proved more than capable to fill in.

The Steelers will take the hit rather than allow a player to dictate their actions.  They've proven this again and again.  

The Steelers didn't miss the playoffs because they didn't have Leveon.  Conner and Jaylen Samuels proved more than capable to fill in.

The Steelers will take the hit rather than allow a player to dictate their actions.  They've proven this again and again.  
I said they don’t need the distraction. They’re disorganized enough already. Sounds like this is a personal thing for you though.

I said they don’t need the distraction. They’re disorganized enough already. Sounds like this is a personal thing for you though.
The distraction is overplayed.

I agree it is best for everyone to move on, but that doesn't mean trading him for a bargain basement deal.   

What is a bargain basement deal for a player who has asked to be traded and refuses to play for teams that want him? I mean, he has been a great WR and the talent is high but what is he really worth given the current situation?

Then I don't understand why you said the Steelers and Bills are dumb in this case.  Getting approval from AB is a pretty basic request from the Steelers trade partner whoever it is.
Sigh....because there’s zero chance he was ever going to Buffalo. You never had to ask.

What is a bargain basement deal for a player who has asked to be traded and refuses to play for teams that want him? I mean, he has been a great WR and the talent is high but what is he really worth given the current situation?
He's under contract.

He's likely a HOF player.

They're asking a first rounder, but would probably take a second with additional compensation.

"Bargain Basement" is 3rd or below.

They've said all along they'll trade him 'if it makes sense for the Steelers'

It won't make sense for less.  

So they put the ball back in his court.  If he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid.  His choice.

He's under contract.

He's likely a HOF player.

They're asking a first rounder, but would probably take a second with additional compensation.

"Bargain Basement" is 3rd or below.

They've said all along they'll trade him 'if it makes sense for the Steelers'

It won't make sense for less.  

So they put the ball back in his court.  If he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid.  His choice.
I'm not as intelligent as many here on understanding the NFL. What is the expected compensation the Steelers will receive for Bell? Is this a similar type situation where they could have to wait a year and receive the same type of return? I guess in my mind something close to Bell compensation would be minimum acceptable value and then it would be looking for if anyone would give more. Again, assuming the situation is similar to Bell which I don't know.

I'm not as intelligent as many here on understanding the NFL. What is the expected compensation the Steelers will receive for Bell? Is this a similar type situation where they could have to wait a year and receive the same type of return? I guess in my mind something close to Bell compensation would be minimum acceptable value and then it would be looking for if anyone would give more. Again, assuming the situation is similar to Bell which I don't know.
Bell is a FA.  The Steelers will likely get a 2020 3rd round compensatory pick for him.

AB is under contract for the next three years.  They get no compensation for letting him walk.   There's no incentive to do so.

I didn't realize he has a 3 year deal left. That situation is different but would the value be much different? In some ways it could be worse if he just retired wouldn't it?

Sorry to be asking all these dumb questions but what happens to the bonus if Brown would retire? Would he have to pay back a portion?

It seems to me (not knowing the NFL details) that the best outcome is for a trade for any value so the Steelers can get cap space and plan for life without Brown and Brown to go somewhere else and keep earning a salary. From my uninformed view it would seem any compensation (the highest available) works best for both sides?

Sorry to be asking all these dumb questions but what happens to the bonus if Brown would retire? Would he have to pay back a portion?

It seems to me (not knowing the NFL details) that the best outcome is for a trade for any value so the Steelers can get cap space and plan for life without Brown and Brown to go somewhere else and keep earning a salary. From my uninformed view it would seem any compensation (the highest available) works best for both sides?
The cap hit to the Steelers next year is virtually the same whether he plays for the Steelers, is traded or retires.

This whole fiasco reminds me of Terrell Owens trade to Baltimore. Different stuff going on with his contract/FA status but TO fought the trade and eventually the 49'ers only got Brandon Whiting from the Eagles instead of the second round pick the Ravens sent them.  And since TO was not able to enter into full on FA I don't think he was able to negotiate the contract with the Eagles he felt he could have on the open market so a year later he was unhappy. Can see this situation going the same route.

Really hope the Steelers don’t give into him and  trade him to his preferred destination. 
it's not giving in if you get the compensation you're after.  From the words of Michael Corleone, " It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business.".

Yes the Steelers could make him pay back a portion if he actually retired.  Not sure how much and not sure difference between a hold out and retirement.

I will never understand being mad at someone for where they decide to work or how they handle their career. Like imagine millions of people getting upset because you quit a job or transfer positions. 
Last I checked he signed a CONTRACT

Giving in would be settling for less than they want.
Perhaps to the Steelers, but not necessarily in the eyes of everyone else.  What they want and what the market will bear doesn't mean they are "giving in", it just means they are getting what the market will bear.   

it's not giving in if you get the compensation you're after.  

What they want and what the market will bear doesn't mean they are "giving in", it just means they are getting what the market will bear.   
You changed the goal posts a little bit with the second comment.  Either way, if the Steelers don't get what they want I hope they just keep him rather than settling for whatever they can get.

You changed the goal posts a little bit with the second comment.  Either way, if the Steelers don't get what they want I hope they just keep him rather than settling for whatever they can get.
I suppose rephrasing the first statement is in order.  It's not giving in if you either get what you're after, or what the market will bear.

Sigh....because there’s zero chance he was ever going to Buffalo. You never had to ask.
It would be total malpractice for any NFL GM to just assume and not even inquire about a player of AB's talent.

The guy is a headcase and I'm fine with the deal not happening, but to say that an NFL team should just assume a top 5 WR can't be talked into coming to their team and not even make an effort is just silly. 

Yes the Steelers could make him pay back a portion if he actually retired.  Not sure how much and not sure difference between a hold out and retirement.
They could go after the pro-rated portion of his already paid guaranteed money. And they can go after that for both a holdout and for early retirement.

This makes no sense to me.  I'm a life long Steeler fan and I'm supposed to be happy that AB wants to play for another team?
People taking sides of the team or the player just because they're "pro-management" or "pro-labor" is stupid.

It's business.  All involved are getting paid ridiculous amounts of money.  Contracts and CBAs are bargained for agreements.  

Disputes are going to happen.   There isn't a 'good guy' or a 'bad guy' in that, though the way someone comports themselves can be bad.

And with regard to this situation, most of the 'bad acts' are coming from AB, so he's getting criticized.  Not because someone is "pro-billionaire owner' but because it's sad to see a favorite player act a fool and leave in such a way.

People love rooting for billionaires/management over employees. Happens all the time. One of the weirder things you’ll see. 
Nah, they love rooting for their specific team. So when a good player wants to leave their team, of course the fans are going to be upset. It's been shown over and over again that sports fans are strongly tied psychologically to their team. They'll say things like "We need to draft this player. We need to fire this coach" etc. When their team wins, they're happier the rest of the day. When their team loses, they're in a worse mood that day. I mean, that psychological relationship explains exactly why people spend billions of dollars supporting professional sports teams. 

So it really shouldn't be a surprise when fans take it personally when a player wants to leave "their" team. And why other fans may react with empathy knowing that something similar could happen to them.

And fans DO get upset when teams trade or cut fan favorite players as well or when owners are being cheap just to try to make more money for the owner.

It's kind of crazy to me how many people are killing the Bills and the idea of Brown in Buffalo. I certainly understand that Buffalo hasn't been very good for a long time and that Allen certainly still had flaws, but if there's one QB in the NFL that is most similar to Ben Roethlisberger on the field, it's Josh Allen. Allen's strengths seem to be a decent match for Brown's strengths. And while obviously Allen isn't yet where Ben got to be, Allen's teammates seem to like him a lot more than Ben's like Ben.

It's kind of crazy to me how many people are killing the Bills and the idea of Brown in Buffalo. I certainly understand that Buffalo hasn't been very good for a long time and that Allen certainly still had flaws, but if there's one QB in the NFL that is most similar to Ben Roethlisberger on the field, it's Josh Allen. Allen's strengths seem to be a decent match for Brown's strengths. And while obviously Allen isn't yet where Ben got to be, Allen's teammates seem to like him a lot more than Ben's like Ben.
The main person killing the idea was AB. 

Users who are viewing this thread