What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (8 Viewers)

If that helmet story is true, those are the actions of an unhinged man.  Diva gets paid, then does whatever he can to be an annoyance to his new team.  Is he pulling a Corporal Klinger for the publicity, or perhaps he wore the old helmet too long?

Per ESPN:  He has told the Raiders he won't play football again if he can't wear his helmet. 
He seemed completely unhinged in Pittsburgh near the end, but some were pushing the narrative that this was an elaborate con job to win his desired trade.  

Looks like appearance was reality, though and he really is nuts.

(Which is a real foot to the nuts for fantasy owners, to log the required foot pun for this post...)

This is a joke, right? 

Which helmet is he talking about? Steelers helmet?

How fast does he change course when he finds out he'd have to pay back all the money? 

You know, I've never owned Antonio Brown. I accepted a deal that included him, Drake, and a 2020 1st Rounder in a package for Gurley.

As frustrated as I could be, I am enjoying this a little bit. Because this directly impacts me, I get to truly absorb the absurdity of it all, lol.

If dude retires, I'm going into a rebuild, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I've never owned Antonio Brown. I accepted a deal that included him, Drake, and a 2020 1st Rounder in a package for Gurley.

As frustrated as I could be, I am enjoying this a little bit. Because this directly impacts me, I get to truly absorb the absurdity of it all, lol.
Same man. I just traded my 1st round rookie pick next summer for him. I don't know how the previous owner dealt with this every year. I've had some high maintenance players on my team before but this guy is something else...

I'm guessing the Raiders were not dumb enough to give him a contract that would pay him to not play football.  Make no mistake, he will play because the money is first and foremost what he is interested in.

Same man. I just traded my 1st round rookie pick next summer for him. I don't know how the previous owner dealt with this every year. I've had some high maintenance players on my team before but this guy is something else...
As a longtime owner, I can confidentally assert that the previous owner did not “deal with this every year.”  AB was a no-drama, plug-and-play superstar until about week 13 of last year.  (Or perhaps since the Burfict hit if you buy the narrative of gradually increasing erratic behavior...)

I'm guessing the Raiders were not dumb enough to give him a contract that would pay him to not play football.  Make no mistake, he will play because the money is first and foremost what he is interested in.
Yep, he's just too dumb to realize that he has to play to keep his money.   Can't just sign a contract and then retire and keep the money... 

I agree he’s playing. We’re talking 40-50 million right? And there’s no way the NFL is caving. Imagine if they allowed him to wear a helmet that their tests determined was unsafe and he got a concussion this year. No chance they’re risking that lawsuit.

I agree he’s playing. We’re talking 40-50 million right? And there’s no way the NFL is caving. Imagine if they allowed him to wear a helmet that their tests determined was unsafe and he got a concussion this year. No chance they’re risking that lawsuit.
It’s an odd issue.  I for one am libertarian enough to be willing to live in a world where someone could sign a waiver and play with an unapproved helmet, taking the consequences and waiving their right to sue.

But for better or worse, we don’t live in such a world and there would be lawsuits regardless in ours.  

Set it and forget it. Dominance week in and week out.

This is why Big Ben had a hidden locker installed inside his locker. 

Are we absolutely sure he had the correct headgear when he went into the cryofacility? We're sure his brain didn't get frostbite, too?

From that hack Florio's website...

A very weird story keeps getting very, very weirder.

The latest wrinkle to Antonio Brown‘s absence from the Raiders comes from his refusal to replace his old helmet with an approved model. Unlike Tom Brady, however, the model of helmet Brown wears has not been prohibited. Per a league source, the specific helmet Brown wants to wear is simply too old.

Yes, the grace period for 11 prohibited helmet models has ended, requiring players like Brady to ditch wearing models that were not deemed to be sufficiently safe. For Brown, the prohibiton comes from the requirement that each and every helmet must be certified by the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment, and that the NOCSAE will not certify a helmet that is more than 10 years old.

So, basically, Brown wants to keep using his specific helmet. He can wear the same model, it just has to be a new one. Or, more accurately, one that it fewer than 10 years old. Antonio Brown is resisting that, for reasons that may be clear only to Antonio Brown.

And it may be quite as simple as this: Ever since becoming one of the best players in the NFL, Antonio Brown has always gotten his way, on everything. So, naturally, he expects to eventually get his way on this, too.

The helmet model is approved. It's good current helmet that is just too old. The company that certified the helmets won't certify one over 10 years old. He'll come back to the Raiders eventually I believe.

Lol, right. I should have known better after that crazy interview he had with ESPN.

There's still about a 25% part of my gut that says this guy is going to show up Week 1 for 12 catches / 130 yards / 2 TDs. Dude wants to get paid and besides camp hype Darren Waller.

Who the hell else is catching passes?

I mean their GM was announcing games like 7 months ago so I wouldn’t count out anything. 

So when the Raiders finish 5-11 and the Bears finish 11-5, the Bears will have given up a late 1st in 2019 and essentially moved back a few spots in 2020, for Mack. Is that 2019 1st the one where they took Jacobs or was it the Cooper 1st from Dallas?

Tyrell time, baby!!!
Gonna be the steal of a lot of dynasty drafts. 

$6/500 for me.  :pickle:

according to this article he’s been the hardest to cover receiver on the team.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/raiders/article/Raiders-Tyrell-Williams-not-just-a-No-2-14284971.php

Carr loves him. And they reportedly brought him in to be the WR1 before picking up AB. 

Add to that his off-season work with the route running coach that Keenan Allen used and the ceiling is sky high even before this AB nonsense. 

I’m optimistic he’ll have a big year. 

Gonna be the steal of a lot of dynasty drafts. 

$6/500 for me.  :pickle:

according to this article he’s been the hardest to cover receiver on the team.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/raiders/article/Raiders-Tyrell-Williams-not-just-a-No-2-14284971.php

Carr loves him. And they reportedly brought him in to be the WR1 before picking up AB. 

Add to that his off-season work with the route running coach that Keenan Allen used and the ceiling is sky high even before this AB nonsense. 

I’m optimistic he’ll have a big year. 
I've largely been ignoring him but I will probably have to bump him. If Brown goes nuclear I don't think it helps the Raiders, though. If he isn't there it is not a good thing. And apparently if he is there it's not a good thing either. Is it all a ruse to keep Hard Knocks distracted? Brown and Gruden are punking the world? Yeah right.

Hopefully this doesn't generate too much buzz... 

Next thing you know it will be too profitable to not have at least one superstar go a non-criminal, family-friendly form crazy over the offseason to stir up that buzz. 

I owned him for years before last year and he never was a problem on or off the field.  Are we sure he's not actually really screwed up at this point in his career from all the hits he's taken?

https://twitter.com/mikesilver/status/1159911464355762176?s=21

Absence and problems with team have to do with the helmet change? What the F? This dude is a psycho.
Rotoworld take:

According to Sports Illustrated's Michael Silver, Antonio Brown's "vocal" frustration over the league's new helmet rules has "contributed to a disconnect" with the Raiders.

Silver's thread is worth reading in its entirety. Brown, who flamed out of Pittsburgh in spectacular fashion last season, has reportedly been a similar headache since arriving in Oakland, lashing out over the league's new helmet requirements. Of the 32 players required to change helmets this year including Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady, only Brown has refused to comply, going as far as to repaint his old helmet in hopes that the Raiders wouldn't notice (spoiler: it didn't work). One member of the Raiders organization called Brown's continued resistance "honestly the most insane thing I've ever heard" while another noted that AB "hasn't been here for awhile, and no one knows where he's at." Silver adds that Brown has also ruffled feathers by barely paying attention in team meetings, often showing up late while spending most of the time glued to his phone. The Raiders may be feeling buyer's remorse after seeing some of Brown's recent antics.

SOURCE: Michael Silver on Twitter

Aug 9, 2019, 4:15 PM ET

I've largely been ignoring him but I will probably have to bump him. If Brown goes nuclear I don't think it helps the Raiders, though. If he isn't there it is not a good thing. And apparently if he is there it's not a good thing either. Is it all a ruse to keep Hard Knocks distracted? Brown and Gruden are punking the world? Yeah right.
Short term I think it’s a huge boost to TyWill because of the chemistry / trust developing with Carr. 

Long term the ideal situation is a healthy Brown returning to the fold, because that opens up everything for Tyrell Williams when Brown is drawing top coverage. 

So this is a win-win for Tyrell right now.  The only downside is if Brown doesn’t come back (which seems like a really slim chance) and Williams is constantly doubled. But with a massive target increase (in that scenario) that could be mitigated a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread