Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Casting Couch

Antonio Brown - Official Thread

The on-field chemistry between Brown and Big Ben is second to none that I have seen in my lifetime. Some of the nuanced things they did together really blew my mind. Stutters and pump fakes, etc. Carr is not Ben.

Someone above mentioned Brady "breaking out" but Carr is nowhere near those guys. He will have to get past his pocket skittishness if he is to take another step. And I agree this is likely the best set of weapons he has had. Any set of weapons that includes Brown on the list qualifies. I don't recall ever seeing QBs develop past the pocket skittishness thing. As a Bears fan I feel acutely aware of ####ty QB play, and if you can have poise in terms of your pocket presence and awareness, then you can be great. If you can't, you will suck. I feel it is the most decisive trait in what separates the good QBs from the ####ty ones. Ben and Brady are elite at it. Carr is not. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

IMO if your dynasty strategy is to take 31 year old Antonio Browns over 25 year old Amari Coopers you are likely on the road to rebuild.  

that depends on your situation. 

my team is in winning now mode and needs another wr1 to start for me.

im willing to give up 2020 1st, plus whatever it takes to land AB, barring any flameout.

4 minutes ago, grateful zed said:

that depends on your situation. 

my team is in winning now mode and needs another wr1 to start for me.

im willing to give up 2020 1st, plus whatever it takes to land AB, barring any flameout.

Amari Cooper is also a win now asset.  

5 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

Amari Cooper is also a win now asset.  

im not pursuing cooper.  if you care: (start 2-4)  

Thomas, Michael NOS - wr1

Thielen, Adam MIN -wr2

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI - package for trade

Kirk, Christian ARI - new wr3

Lee, Marqise JAC - who knows?

Nelson, Jordy OAK - retired

Inman, Dontrelle IND - to be cut

JJAW - PHI to be drafted. will take a year to produce.

AB would be a perfect wr4 for another 3-5 years and cheaper than cooper.

Edited by grateful zed
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, zeeshan2 said:

AB on Instagram: ‚Äú"While I disagree with the arbitrator's decision, I'm working on getting back to full health and looking forward to rejoining my teammates‚Ķ‚ÄĚ

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1E-vXEhDYp/

That a boy AB   (so glad I got lucky and I traded him last year right before everything went south)

Edited by mozzy84

Just now, mozzy84 said:

That a boy AB   (so glad I got lucky and I traded him last year right before everything went south)

oakland is WEST.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

12 minutes ago, grateful zed said:

im not pursuing cooper.  if you care: (start 2-4)  

Thomas, Michael NOS - wr1

Thielen, Adam MIN -wr2

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI - package for trade

Kirk, Christian ARI - new wr3

Lee, Marqise JAC - who knows?

Nelson, Jordy OAK - retired

Inman, Dontrelle IND - to be cut

JJAW - PHI to be drafted. will take a year to produce.

AB would be a perfect wr4 for another 3-5 years and cheaper than cooper.

The conversation was around would you trade AB for Amari straight up

1 hour ago, kittenmittens said:

The conversation was around would you trade AB for Amari straight up

and about dynasty strategy involving trading for an older player.

Edited by grateful zed

I play in a 5 player keeper league and traded for AB last year.  Keeping only 5 VS dynasty - it's less devastating if AB retires or gets suspended or whatever.  But my thoughts are that he's still a great player when he's on the field so I want that guy in my lineups when he does play :shrug:

1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

He's not going to pay back that $30m bonus. Of course he's going to play.

can't repay what you no longer have

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zeeshan2 said:

AB on Instagram: ‚Äú"While I disagree with the arbitrator's decision, I'm working on getting back to full health and looking forward to rejoining my teammates‚Ķ‚ÄĚ

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1E-vXEhDYp/

Wait a minute, I thought the biggest crybaby in the nfl was going to retire if he didn't get his pacifier, I mean helmet. What an insane nut job this guy is.

From what I understand the league has given AB an out regarding the helmet thing.  They will allow him to use that model if he can find one that is brand new.  The problem for AB is they stopped making them in 2011.   So if anyone you have one of these that is still in original packaging you might be able to make a nice profit.

38 minutes ago, Pimpin Ain't Easy said:

What I dont understand is he is complaining about his vision. That would be the face mask, not the helmet. Seems like he could find a workaround for that. 

I've been thinking that he means the sides of the newer, safer helmets extend further forward, affecting his peripheral vision.

1 hour ago, Mystery Achiever said:

He showed up in camp.

with his agent.  I wonder if Rosenhaus had to drag him there?

4 minutes ago, matttyl said:

with his agent.  I wonder if Rosenhaus had to drag him there?

Nah, just had to show him where it was.

1 minute ago, apalmer said:

Nah, just had to show him where it was.

Well you know Brown can see very well with these new helmets....

On 8/12/2019 at 1:26 PM, zoonation said:

never drafted him. i watch a lot of football.  BL's assessment is how I see it.  Brown should help some, agreed.

Been thinking about this since we had this back and forth. 

I think Carr is the exact opposite of Roth.  As much as I think Brown is a transcendent talent, I think he struggles this first year.  There are a bunch of guys I’d rather have as my WR2.  

Certainly open to moving an aging Brown, but the offers haven't been encouraging. Robert FOster/Hurst and a devy pick?

And I haven't hit reject yet :bag:

• Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/12/2019 at 9:08 PM, irish eyes said:

Wait a minute, I thought the biggest crybaby in the nfl was going to retire if he didn't get his pacifier, I mean helmet. What an insane nut job this guy is the people making this crap up for clicks are.

I agree.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Iceman03 said:

Ian Rapoport posted the close up still from Hard Knocks. His big toe looks like a potato. https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1161460012369268736?s=21

Actually, that's the best news on Brown we've had this entire offseason.  Seriously, this was his feet a week ago, and that picture was from when - yesterday?  That's a huge improvement. 

I wonder if this would even pass certification tests

AB‚ÄŹVerified account¬†@AB84

"I'm looking for a Schutt Air Advantage Adult Large Helmet that was manufactured in 2010 or after. In exchange I will trade a signed practice worn @Raiders helmet."

7:37 AM - 13 Aug 2019

Just now, Mystery Achiever said:

I wonder if this would even pass certification tests

AB‚ÄŹVerified account¬†@AB84

"I'm looking for a Schutt Air Advantage Adult Large Helmet that was manufactured in 2010 or after. In exchange I will trade a signed practice worn @Raiders helmet."

7:37 AM - 13 Aug 2019

Dear AB84: I might consider selling mine for $1,000,000 and you can keep your practice worn crap.

• Laughing 2

On 8/12/2019 at 7:08 PM, irish eyes said:

Wait a minute, I thought the biggest crybaby in the nfl was going to retire if he didn't get his pacifier, I mean helmet. What an insane nut job this guy is.

I'm no fan of this guy, but you're bitterness towards the situation is as immature as you make him to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shawnky said:

I'm no fan of this guy, but you're bitterness towards the situation is as immature as you make him to be.

Agreed.  I don't know Irish Eyes well but a lot of his posts are like that.

The "don't make eye contact" on the way out is my favorite part of this story. 

On 8/13/2019 at 1:32 PM, zoonation said:

As much as I think BrownÔĽŅ is a transcendent talent, I think he strugglesÔĽŅ this firstÔĽŅ year. ¬†There are a bunch of guys I‚Äôd rather have as my WR2. ¬†

I'm on the opposite fence. There are some guys whose talents are so transcendent that they aren't affected by changes of personnel, teams, systems, etc.

AB is one of those guys. If anything, the Raiders will be installing plays that fit his skill set more than AB will need to familiarize himself with a totally alien system (though there will be some of that for sure).

My question is whether Carr still has the deep ball accuracy/strength to take advantage of some of AB's downfield ability, but I see that affecting Tyrell Willams more. AB will be heavily used, a big focus of the offensive plan, and is a no-brainer target for me -- especially in PPR.

The more that he stays in the media headlights, the better IMO -- hope this latest ridiculousness about the chef bill (in addition to his feet, helmet, etc.) drop his draft stock.

On 8/14/2019 at 8:55 AM, matttyl said:

Actually, that's the best news on Brown we've had this entire offseason.  Seriously, this was his feet a week ago, and that picture was from when - yesterday?  That's a huge improvement. 

Looks better than my feet after my last event.  

Antonio Brown (feet) is "close" to practicing.

Brown was running routes and sprinting before Thursday's preseason game against the Cardinals. It appears he could return as early as this weekend. A situation that seemed to be spiraling out of control late last week is now all quiet on the western front. The trick will be keeping it that way.

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

Aug 15, 2019, 9:38 PM ET

This guy is clearly nuts but I do think he loves football and Gruden is going to draw up a lot of things to get him the ball. I hope to get him in round 2. 

• Like 1

Michael Fabiano @Michael_Fabiano

Since 2000, nine WRs have ranked in the top 10 in PPR scoring only to switch teams (via trade or free agency) the following season. NINE of them had fewer catches that season. NINE of them had fewer TD catches. ALL 10 of them had fewer receiving yards.

The average decline in catches: 25.2

The average decline in TD catches: 4.6

The average decline in rec yards: 354.4

Your play, Antonio Brown...

3 hours ago, Penguin said:

Michael Fabiano @Michael_Fabiano

Since 2000, nine WRs have ranked in the top 10 in PPR scoring only to switch teams (via trade or free agency) the following season. NINE of them had fewer catches that season. NINE of them had fewer TD catches. ALL 10 of them had fewer receiving yards.

The average decline in catches: 25.2

The average decline in TD catches: 4.6

The average decline in rec yards: 354.4

Your play, Antonio Brown...

80 catches, 1000 yards, 11 TDs.. :shrug:

I'll take the over on catches and yards.

Edited by matuski

Raiders coach Jon Gruden said Antonio Brown "took all the reps today in our walkthrough."

Gruden added that he anticipates his prized acquisition practicing soon. Brown was spotted running routes, cutting, and sprinting prior to Oakland's preseason game Thursday and should return to the field soon, but the (numerous) red flags surrounding his availability and performance remain transparent. He's an obvious fade in the early rounds of fantasy drafts despite his glowing resume.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on Twitter

Aug 17, 2019, 5:06 PM ET