What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (6 Viewers)

Rapoport: “Here is a sense of how quickly things are changing in Oakland: Yesterday, #Raiders coach Jon Gruden told people AB was not in their plans for Monday. Now, I hear… there is a real chance he not only does not get suspended but actually plays. Wild times”

Last edited by a moderator:
He got concussed during the 2015 season. He wasn't too bad with his behaviour during the 2016 season. The worst was he got in trouble for taping the locker room celebration of a playoff game. 2017 he got a big pay day. His bad behavior really started to surface. 2018 his behavior got worse. 2019 his bad behavior is continuing. Maybe the hit by Burfict changed his brain. Maybe the big pay day brought out his true colors, and he is an entitled jerk. Maybe he has a mental illness that needs to be addressed. Maybe it is multiple things. Whatever the reason, he is his own worst enemy right now.
Yeah.  My SIL dated somebody high up in the Steelers for a few years (around 2015-2017) who was also a WR coach for them for a time - She met AB several times at team functions, etc.  She said he was a really nice guy early on, but that he basically became so disruptive and childish in the later years that they basically realized the writing was on the wall with him and at some point, they'd part ways.  I think a lot of folks figured it'd be AB who would hold out for a whole season over some random crap instead of Bell last year.  Nobody ever mentioned CTE, but I'd guess within the organization, they'd probably try and deny that connection and just say he's a bad apple.

Is there a less offensive racial slur than "cracker"? Personally I'd crack up laughing if some one called me that.
I agree.  I don't think that would bother me much at all if someone called me that.  I believe "old white man" in the context of today's political climate is much worse.

You don't like Tomlin and that's obviously fine.  But if Tomlin cracked down sooner maybe AB would have erupted sooner.  Either way, AB's behavior is 100% on AB and nobody else.
Huh? I like Tomlin fine. I like the Steelers. I was just passing on what a reporter said, and what was in the press by former Steelers and Tomlin himself.

Is there a less offensive racial slur than "cracker"? Personally I'd crack up laughing if some one called me that.
Probably ”honky” but otherwise, no. Those are easily the silliest & least offensive.

also; I have been called both. Once seriously while walking though Oakland in the 80s at night by some super sketchy types. 

Sometimes its not so much what’s said as who’s saying it to you. Laughter was not a good option there. :no:  

Huh? I like Tomlin fine. I like the Steelers. I was just passing on what a reporter said, and what was in the press by former Steelers and Tomlin himself.
Sounded to me like you were blaming Tomlin in some way for AB's behavior.  I guess I misunderstood. 

Just heard also that he called Mayock a cracker on top of the other stuff. But the race criers wont say a word about this I'm sure. It will get swept under the rug.
Totally.  I bet when Mayock got called cracker he had flashbacks to all those times he was discriminated against because of his race.  The feeling of oppression and historical injustice against straight white males just swelled up in him. 

Yeah.  My SIL dated somebody high up in the Steelers for a few years (around 2015-2017) who was also a WR coach for them for a time - She met AB several times at team functions, etc.  She said he was a really nice guy early on, but that he basically became so disruptive and childish in the later years that they basically realized the writing was on the wall with him and at some point, they'd part ways.  I think a lot of folks figured it'd be AB who would hold out for a whole season over some random crap instead of Bell last year.  Nobody ever mentioned CTE, but I'd guess within the organization, they'd probably try and deny that connection and just say he's a bad apple.
I heard this from Gene Collier, a local reporter that used to host a talk show with AB.   He said that AB was always a happy-go-lucky kind of guy that always had a smile on his face.  He said that last spring his demeanor had changed so dramatically it was like a completely different person.   He didn't say whether or not it was CTE or just becoming full of himself.

Totally.  I bet when Mayock got called cracker he had flashbacks to all those times he was discriminated against because of his race.  The feeling of oppression and historical injustice against straight white males just swelled up in him. 
Amen brother.

Rapoport: “Here is a sense of how quickly things are changing in Oakland: Yesterday, #Raiders coach Jon Gruden told people AB was not in their plans for Monday. Now, I hear… there is a real chance he not only does not get suspended but actually plays. Wild times”
Raiders do this at their peril. 

Just heard also that he called Mayock a cracker on top of the other stuff. But the race criers wont say a word about this I'm sure. It will get swept under the rug.
Looks like commenters are proving you correct about double standards.

Brown’s Instagram post about Mayock also had a “devil” reference.  Presumably that means white devil from someone who calls people crackers.

Looks like commenters are proving you correct about double standards.

Brown’s Instagram post about Mayock also had a “devil” reference.  Presumably that means white devil from someone who calls people crackers.
Either that or you're just looking to be offended.

ANTONIO BROWNWR, OAKLAND RAIDERS

According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, Antonio Brown delivered an "emotional apology" at a team meeting Friday morning.

This comes on the heels of an earlier report from Anderson, who provided insight into Brown's much-discussed blowup on Mike Mayock earlier this week, noting that AB called the GM a "cracker" while spewing a stream of other choice words we're not allowed to print on this site. Team captains reportedly "stood" with Brown after his remarks Friday, offering hope that a reconciliation can be reached. Apologizing is a good first step but the Raiders have to be fatigued by the rollercoaster their star receiver has put them through this offseason.

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Sep 6, 2019, 12:23 PM ET

ANTONIO BROWNWR, OAKLAND RAIDERS

According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, Antonio Brown delivered an "emotional apology" at a team meeting Friday morning.

This comes on the heels of an earlier report from Anderson, who provided insight into Brown's much-discussed blowup on Mike Mayock earlier this week, noting that AB called the GM a "cracker" while spewing a stream of other choice words we're not allowed to print on this site. Team captains reportedly "stood" with Brown after his remarks Friday, offering hope that a reconciliation can be reached. Apologizing is a good first step but the Raiders have to be fatigued by the rollercoaster their star receiver has put them through this offseason.

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Sep 6, 2019, 12:23 PM ET
I bet he was emotional when he realized he may have cost himself $29M dollars.

I heard this from Gene Collier, a local reporter that used to host a talk show with AB.   He said that AB was always a happy-go-lucky kind of guy that always had a smile on his face.  He said that last spring his demeanor had changed so dramatically it was like a completely different person.   He didn't say whether or not it was CTE or just becoming full of himself.
Yep.  The bolded part was how my SIL described him after she met him.  She said he was one of the most enjoyable guys she'd ever been around.  Clearly that's changed for one reason or another.

Not sure there is a rift between Mayock and Gruden other than the Burfict signing. Mayock wants players who are upstanding citizens and Gruden just wants players that can play. Mayock fined AB for all the shenanigans this offseason and AB posted it on Instagram then called Mayock a cracker on the practice field and cursed at him threatening physical violence.
Cracker on the Practice Field is my Average White Band cover band.

This thread turned into a white guilt thread quick. Can't say I'm surprised. 

Good news for Jacobs so I'm rooting for ab to play.

How many did they win in the last 10 years? 
Nice cherry pick of 10 years.  They haven't had a losing record since 2003, have been to 3 Super Bowls in that time and won 2 of them, plus other AFCCG loses in that time.  Every team (except the Patriots) would like to "underachieve" to that degree.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree.  I don't think that would bother me much at all if someone called me that.  I believe "old white man" in the context of today's political climate is much worse.
I thought 'intent' was the deciding factor in using racial slurs.  Are you guys suggesting AB was looking for a moderate insult?

BTW, I agree with you both.  There's just not a good white racial insult word.

Users who are viewing this thread