What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (10 Viewers)

AB simply isn't going to skate on this, but what kind of timeline we're looking at & what kind of punishment the NFL doles out are unknown.

The real question is what will the Pats do once things shake out?
Its one big albatross and 99 instances of being a d bag.  I suspect he's on the clock to settle or face the principal's list, which would trigger insta jettison from NE and subsequent blackballing (hello CFL), and may have to take touchy feely class....oops bad choice of words.

AB simply isn't going to skate on this, but what kind of timeline we're looking at & what kind of punishment the NFL doles out are unknown.

The real question is what will the Pats do once things shake out?
We’ll have to see how things play out. The other question is when. I would guess it takes them all season to Investigate this and other claims and allegations. And if they suspend him. it will be to start next year. Of course. This assumes AB doesn’t do anything crazy in season.

Hope he gets all that's coming to him. 

Sounds like a real great guy
I agree with you ... but being a ##### isn’t exactly going to keep him out of the NFL unfortunately.

if this thing turns into a bunch of civil lawsuits? I can’t see how he misses anytime.

Once there are criminal charges? Then that’s a different story.

I think of all the claims ... the biggest one, at this point might be the child endangerment.

but still, Tyreek Hill was audio recorded as a child beater - but still nothing.

unless something criminal comes forward? AB IS going to skate his way to a super bowl.

I agree with you ... but being a ##### isn’t exactly going to keep him out of the NFL unfortunately.

if this thing turns into a bunch of civil lawsuits? I can’t see how he misses anytime.

Once there are criminal charges? Then that’s a different story.

I think of all the claims ... the biggest one, at this point might be the child endangerment.

but still, Tyreek Hill was audio recorded as a child beater - but still nothing.

unless something criminal comes forward? AB IS going to skate his way to a super bowl.
Yeah I hate hill worse.  Both these guys are giant aholes for sure

Yeah I hate hill worse.  Both these guys are giant aholes for sure
But we agree that off field ##### bagery, doesn’t equal on field performance, or how the league views them. 

Both are horrible people. Can’t forget that we are all here, mostly, to win fake football championship’s.

thats all. 

Proof has showed true throughout history. NFL teams will look the other way if said douch can help them win/sell tickets. 

But we agree that off field ##### bagery, doesn’t equal on field performance, or how the league views them. 

Both are horrible people. Can’t forget that we are all here, mostly, to win fake football championship’s.

thats all. 

Proof has showed true throughout history. NFL teams will look the other way if said douch can help them win/sell tickets. 
All true. You really have to separate yourself from these guys, totally, if you play FF. I started losing interest in being a "team" fan years ago, and my NFL viewing is way down (SNF and 2nd half of MNF max). Basically all I care about with respect to football is FF draft and the stats needed to populate the scoreboard. The rest of it kind of sickens me.

When the Drews Brees injury popped up on Sunday, his thread became active of course... all ~14 pages of it, for a 40-yr NFL HOFer and model citizen (by all accounts). Someone like AB, Hill, ADP, Gordon, Ray Rice, other generate 14 pages over a weekend... for all the wrong reasons of course.

All true. You really have to separate yourself from these guys, totally, if you play FF. I started losing interest in being a "team" fan years ago, and my NFL viewing is way down (SNF and 2nd half of MNF max). Basically all I care about with respect to football is FF draft and the stats needed to populate the scoreboard. The rest of it kind of sickens me.

When the Drews Brees injury popped up on Sunday, his thread became active of course... all ~14 pages of it, for a 40-yr NFL HOFer and model citizen (by all accounts). Someone like AB, Hill, ADP, Gordon, Ray Rice, other generate 14 pages over a weekend... for all the wrong reasons of course.
Don't lose track of the fact that the league is 1200 average Joes, 250 philanthropists, and 50 misanthropes.  Big Media and the Innerwebs over-accentuate the d bags.

Could some of you set the scene when AB enters Goodell's office? Are there lawyers and agents for AB? Lawyers and cronies for Goodell so there's lots of witnesses around? How gruff does Goodell get in reprimanding AB or any of these players? Does he just calmly state that he is suspending them for 4 games or whatever and point to direct evidence? 

How do these things play out? Because I gotta believe that as much smack talk as AB does, can you see him trying to live stream while Goodell is handing down potential punishment or still deciding as AB does some more horrible things in his office?

Or maybe none of this happens.

Could some of you set the scene when AB enters Goodell's office? Are there lawyers and agents for AB? Lawyers and cronies for Goodell so there's lots of witnesses around? How gruff does Goodell get in reprimanding AB or any of these players? Does he just calmly state that he is suspending them for 4 games or whatever and point to direct evidence? 

How do these things play out? Because I gotta believe that as much smack talk as AB does, can you see him trying to live stream while Goodell is handing down potential punishment or still deciding as AB does some more horrible things in his office?

Maybe Goodell will play TV cop, "Come on Antonio, tell us what really happened... Actually, WE KNOW what happened... we spoke to your little cousin Hollywood and he told us everything. So just save us all a lot of time and admit to it!"

Then AB stands up, and farts in Roger Goodell's face... then turns to his lawyers, "Come on boyz. We outta here." <exits>

Don't lose track of the fact that the league is 1200 average Joes, 250 philanthropists, and 50 misanthropes.  Big Media and the Innerwebs over-accentuate the d bags.
Agreed, but don't get me wrong... I don't really care about the good stuff either. The sideline reporting of warm/fuzzy backstories... I just don't care because I don't know these people.

You're right though. And it's the age old knock on news... no time for good stuff, because people only tune in for the bad stuff.

Maybe they handle this one differently, but AB probably won’t meet with Roger during the investigation phase. He normally is the last one that gets involved . . . Usually when it is time to hand down a suspension. 

In the meeting to hear Brown’s story, I would guess there would be AB, his agent, his lawyer, his comfort service animal, a union rep, an NFL investigator, an NFL attorney, and maybe a videographer or stenographer to have a record of the proceedings (not sure if they do that last part though). The league may want to investigate all claims from all claimants, so it might take a while for them to get all their ducks in a row. 

He very well could be ok to play for the season.
We'll have to see what else comes out and what there is for the league to review. But at the moment, it doesn't look like anyone has filed a complaint with the police and no one else has really researched or investigated any of the stories or accusations.

It goes without saying that if something bad happened to the initial accuser then AB should face the music. But I go back to the timing of things to ponder what her motives are. She waited a year or a year and a half to essentially demand at least $2 million and start negotiating a settlement. The deadline she gave was right after Brown was set to collect his $30 million in guaranteed money from the Raiders. She is said to have owed money and tried to get AB to finance her business to the tune of $1.6 million. None of that has any bearing on whether or not Brown assaulted her, but it certainly paints a picture that she wants a big chunk of change for a buyout / payout.

At this point, Brown essentially owes a bunch of people money, acted inappropriately, and has displayed some bizarre behavior. Even the latest SI report of another allegation seems more an example of poor decision making (he's not accused of touching the woman or even exposing himself . . . only that he was scantily clad and flirty). But the web and the media jumped all over the story as another sexual allegation. Acting in poor taste? Absolutely. Criminal to the point where the encounter was reported and acted upon? Doesn't sound like it.

Brown sounds like a real piece of work in all of this . . . but it sounds like a bunch of people are conveying stories that support the notion that he isn't a nice guy. Maybe the league will intervene at some point and give Brown some sort of lifetime achievement award and suspend him for conduct unbecoming (see Zeke). But for now we don't have video or photographs that show he physically caused harm to someone. Maybe that will surface and come out at some point.

And even though I follow the Pats, I can't stand Brown and didn't want NE to go anywhere near him. Their team was plenty good enough to win without him. He's not a nice guy and makes men in general look bad. I probably would rather something happened and he  got suspended and NE could move on. Knowing that something could happen at any point and the team might have to make adjustments at a drop of the hat could definitely impact the team. But given what we think we know, I think it would set a bad precedent for the league to jump into the fray at this point and intervene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said on the character assessment, the optics, and potential negative impact.  My perspective is the league has to establish a defensible position based on bt and pending an interviews and if he survives he's forewarned of intent to suspend for conduct detrimental if the drama doesn't dry up.

I find it fascinating that people were surprised that the Patriots would sign him, didn't cut him after the allegations game out, started him the first game, and continue to keep him on the roster. And I call BS on Kraft claiming they would not have signed him (that just fits the PR propaganda that they take things very seriously). They wanted to trade for him when he was a Steeler. None of this should be shocking.

This entire outcome was predictable when the team released their initial statement on social media after the civil filing saying the league will investigate and we have no comment. That threw down the gauntlet that the team was all systems go unless somebody tried to stop them. Yet there have been COUNTLESS opinion pieces on the matter and people still trying to get the team to release AB. It was never going to end that way and still isn't going to end that way. Unless and until Brown gets charged and arrested for a serious crime, NE has hitched their wagon and they are going to press on and utilize Brown every game they can. Maybe the league will exempt him or suspend him, but Brown not playing will not be because the team suddenly grew a conscious.

Being offered Mixon for him. Would be fairly weak at WR. 2 RB 3 WR no flex

Juju, Metcalf, Fuller, Robinson, MVS

Kamara, Michel, Murray, J.Jackson, Mostert

should I take it?

Being offered Mixon for him. Would be fairly weak at WR. 2 RB 3 WR no flex

Juju, Metcalf, Fuller, Robinson, MVS

Kamara, Michel, Murray, J.Jackson, Mostert

should I take it?
Belong in assistant coach thread.  That said, as things stand now - if redraft I'd say no.  If dynasty I'd say yes. 

Antonio Brown just can't control his gas, poor doc
The doctor did not seem to even care....yeah it was gross.....but guys being guys and the doctor did a hand stand thing for the camera after. All laughs and smiles. So utter TMZ BS being made out to be some awful thing.

Yeah gross. But guys farting and laughing about it is common place. People need to get over themselves. He is suing because AB has not paid his bill (how do we know there was not a dispute about the charges being outrageous we do not know any of the circumstances). So with his sour grapes comes this video of the farting incident. Which he clearly was not "taken aback" by. Jeez people.

I realize AB is not a good guy, and a real doosh. But I have said from the beginning this all felt like contrived money grabs and it very well may prove to be that. The moral high horses people are screaming down from in this thread have been laughable. Guilty until proven innocent is the new normal in today's world.

If they guy really assaulted and raped a girl he should be kicked out of the league. 

I doubt this is happening because there is a ton of doubt surrounding the story. And still.....no police reports, no criminal charges. Just a he said /she said at this point and a whole lot of money being asked for in a totally questionable situation. 

I have seen far worse cases than this......and guys are still playing in the league who have done real awful stuff.

AB will be playing all season is my prediction.....and fantasy wise? He will dominate the targets in NE. He will be running free all season. Brady will feed him and feed him often.

I find it fascinating that people were surprised that the Patriots would sign him, didn't cut him after the allegations game out, started him the first game, and continue to keep him on the roster. And I call BS on Kraft claiming they would not have signed him (that just fits the PR propaganda that they take things very seriously). They wanted to trade for him when he was a Steeler. None of this should be shocking.

This entire outcome was predictable when the team released their initial statement on social media after the civil filing saying the league will investigate and we have no comment. That threw down the gauntlet that the team was all systems go unless somebody tried to stop them. Yet there have been COUNTLESS opinion pieces on the matter and people still trying to get the team to release AB. It was never going to end that way and still isn't going to end that way. Unless and until Brown gets charged and arrested for a serious crime, NE has hitched their wagon and they are going to press on and utilize Brown every game they can. Maybe the league will exempt him or suspend him, but Brown not playing will not be because the team suddenly grew a conscious.
If this random lady on Twitter knew about the rape charges coming 4 days prior to the rest of the world, so did the Pats. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Sep 7Replying to

@lizgarcia901111

@Ellipse_TB

and 3 others

Inside info: In the upcoming days, news is gonna come out of Antonio Brown being pressed charges for Rape

Inside info: In the upcoming days, news is gonna come out of Antonio Brown being pressed charges for Rape
Whoa! Any "hint" on a source? :jawdrop:

I heard similar story, but bad source (friend heard "something mentioned to this" on Fox Sports in the morning yesterday)

She said she knew someone in the Cowboys organization, maybe a relative? She announced the Zeke signing before it happened too but there were tons of indicators that was going to happen. The AB news was out of left field and 100% accurate. 

That's why I say that the Pats knew what they were getting into and didn't care. If some random announces it on Twitter via the Cowboys, one would think the Pats would have the same info. 

Whoa! Any "hint" on a source? :jawdrop:

I heard similar story, but bad source (friend heard "something mentioned to this" on Fox Sports in the morning yesterday)
This is old news. That was posted by someone when AB was still a Raider and was in regard to the pending civil suit that would be filed the following week.

Honestly, you gotta love how social medias, reporters, etc....just can't stop bringing crap. It started with rape allegations and now we are down to dead fishes and farting during a doctor appointment? 

Really? 

The sexual allegations are serious and require investigations.....but all the rest, it's just junk...

Off field stuff aside, and I know there is tons of it....but if he suits up he's a must start each and every week going forward, right?

Pennsylvania police apparently have contacted the accuser's lawyers but apparently there is a statute of limitations issue involving her first two allegations in her civil suit. So the police likely will not get involved in those two incidents. The more serious allegation occurred in Florida, and so far authorities there have not contacted her about filing a report or launching an investigation.

Honestly, you gotta love how social medias, reporters, etc....just can't stop bringing crap. It started with rape allegations and now we are down to dead fishes and farting during a doctor appointment? 

Really? 

The sexual allegations are serious and require investigations.....but all the rest, it's just junk...
... well at least AB wasn't playing with footballs that were 0.5 psi below the recommended limit.

If so, we'd be talking about a 12 month $17m investigation & suspension.  Abuse case will likely just be swept under the rug. Nothing to see here.

Is this rhetorical?

Top 5 whenever he starts seeing 80% of snaps. 
I think that's a bit of a reach. IMO, NE went overboard trying to force feed him the ball on some basic plays against a terrible team. He saw 8 targets playing in only a third of the snaps. Highly unlikely he will see 24 targets in a full game. NE was able to experiment in a game they knew they could win even if things went south and AB and TB were on a different page and a play went for a pick six.

No way NE mucks up their offense just to have an over reliance on one player. They will use everyone as best they can and will target perceived mismatches. I see Brown as a bottom tier WR1 . . . probably in the WR 10-12 range. In general in NE, what happened last week will have no bearing on what will happen the following week.

The NE defense is for real, they will use their running backs, they will run a lot of clock, and there will not be a need to throw a ton. They may not face much of a challenge until after they are already 8-0 (starting in November). Their goal is to avoid injuries, get a W, and move on to the next week.

Is this rhetorical?

Top 5 whenever he starts seeing 80% of snaps. 
He only saw about a third of the snaps from what I read last week.  That said, I just can't see a situation, no matter what defense they are playing, where I wouldn't feel comfortable (fantasy wise) starting him. 

I think that's a bit of a reach. IMO, NE went overboard trying to force feed him the ball on some basic plays against a terrible team. He saw 8 targets playing in only a third of the snaps. Highly unlikely he will see 24 targets in a full game. NE was able to experiment in a game they knew they could win even if things went south and AB and TB were on a different page and a play went for a pick six.

No way NE mucks up their offense just to have an over reliance on one player. They will use everyone as best they can and will target perceived mismatches. I see Brown as a bottom tier WR1 . . . probably in the WR 10-12 range. In general in NE, what happened last week will have no bearing on what will happen the following week.

The NE defense is for real, they will use their running backs, they will run a lot of clock, and there will not be a need to throw a ton. They may not face much of a challenge until after they are already 8-0 (starting in November). Their goal is to avoid injuries, get a W, and move on to the next week.
He played 21 out of 70+ snaps. He won’t need more than 8 targets a game to do top 5 damage, especially when they aren’t forcing him the ball. He’s also a big time red zone threat, which they will need without Gronk. 

I think people are vastly underestimating ABs talent. 

He only saw about a third of the snaps from what I read last week.  That said, I just can't see a situation, no matter what defense they are playing, where I wouldn't feel comfortable (fantasy wise) starting him. 
Exactly. And his snap rate will increase with each passing week until it hovers around 80%. 

Assuming he’s playing of course.

Interesting right, the Dolphins got burned back-to-back weeks by both WRs involved in the alleged rape case... one being the perp, the other being the "other football player" in the house at the time of the incident.

He played 21 out of 70+ snaps. He won’t need more than 8 targets a game to do top 5 damage, especially when they aren’t forcing him the ball. He’s also a big time red zone threat, which they will need without Gronk. 

I think people are vastly underestimating ABs talent. 
I beg to differ on being a AB being Top 5 with only 8 targets a game.He averaged 11.3 targets a game the past 5 years in PIT. Not sure he would still be Top 5 with a 30% drop in targets. Sure, he's a red zone threat, but NE has no problem using their RB's to get the ball in the end zone.

I beg to differ on being a AB being Top 5 with only 8 targets a game.He averaged 11.3 targets a game the past 5 years in PIT. Not sure he would still be Top 5 with a 30% drop in targets. Sure, he's a red zone threat, but NE has no problem using their RB's to get the ball in the end zone.
He was putting up other worldly numbers with an inefficient Ben R.

I respect your right to differ, but let’s check back in a couple of weeks... if Brown is still in the league.

Someone remind me, what happened the last time a hall-of-fame WR came to the Patriots from the Raiders?

Someone remind me, what happened the last time a hall-of-fame WR came to the Patriots from the Raiders?
You mean when the QB was 30 instead of 42? When the team had an offensive line and TE's that could block. When Brady had all day to throw the ball instead of getting the ball out in 2 seconds. When they weren't constructed to run the ball. When they threw to their RB's half as often as they do now. Yeah, I remember those days.

You mean when the QB was 30 instead of 42? When the team had an offensive line and TE's that could block. When Brady had all day to throw the ball instead of getting the ball out in 2 seconds. When they weren't constructed to run the ball. When they threw to their RB's half as often as they do now. Yeah, I remember those days.
I'm not saying we're gonna get a repeat of Moss, just saying that the team that was always known for spreading it around to its no-name WRs changed when Moss got into town.

I just feel like people are over-analyzing the situation. AB is easily one of the best players in the league, and is now catching passes from the GOAT for as long as the NFL allows.

Not sure it needs to be more complicated than that.

I'm not saying we're gonna get a repeat of Moss, just saying that the team that was always known for spreading it around to its no-name WRs changed when Moss got into town.

I just feel like people are over-analyzing the situation. AB is easily one of the best players in the league, and is now catching passes from the GOAT for as long as the NFL allows.

Not sure it needs to be more complicated than that.
I think it is more complicated than that. Moss had months to learn the playbook. Brown has had days. The 2007 offense skill position players were almost all new faces. This year, there were incumbents and people on the roster that have won Super Bowls and had defined roles.Moss had some off field stuff in the past, but nothing near the circus that Brown has had going on the past few weeks. Brown had times where he was cited for ad libbing plays. That won't fly with Brady. Sure, Brown is talented, but I think Brown will have to adjust more to AB than the Patriots will adjust to AB. Guess we'll have to see how it plays out (and if Brown is around the whole season).

Users who are viewing this thread