What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (12 Viewers)

Have you not been following this thread? Cry baby b@@@@ Brown doesn't like sharing the ball. Any team with a true #1 receiver will & should stay far far away from this cancer.
I get that - but I feel Brown and Arians would be a good match.  I feel Brown is Ok with a good second fiddle as long as the second fiddle is told he's the second fiddle.  Just saying-I think the Arians-Brown combo should not be overlooked as a dark horse for laning him.  I don't see Pittsburgh trading him to another AFC team if they can help it.

Some people online are talking about him going to New England, you have to be delusional to think they'd pair him with Brady. 
I was thinking about a trade to the Pats and I don't know how many draft picks / players the Steelers would have to get in order to pull the trigger on this deal.  Like if the Pats offered a Ricky Williams type of deal, would the Steelers even do it then?

Bankerguy said:
I feel like Tampa with Arians and Evans is the best fit. 
Arians just came out and said that Brown isn't the same guy the Steelers drafted and that he needs to cut out the dramatics. It doesn't sound to me that he's interested, unless that's his way of saying "figure things out and we can make this happen."

With rumors being he really wants to go to San Francisco, if I'm the Steelers I dont even entertain any offers from them. Unless they are mind blowing, send him to a bottom dweller 
I want them to trade him outside of the AFC.  Other than that, I just want them to get the best return possible.

tjnc09 said:
Interesting, I didn't know that.  I'll need to read up on his contract language some more.
JG's contract was heavily frontloaded. After 2019 it is very team friendly (high base salaries, but little dead money) and he could be cut prior to the new league years starting before more guarantees kick in. They will have paid him $60M if he implodes and they cut him prior to 2020, but they were sitting on over $100M when they extended him. They are still near the top (#11 I think) in current cap space available with moves they can make to get more.

I was thinking about a trade to the Pats and I don't know how many draft picks / players the Steelers would have to get in order to pull the trigger on this deal.  Like if the Pats offered a Ricky Williams type of deal, would the Steelers even do it then?
You understand that the Patriots don't work this way, right?  They will take on problem superstars on the cheap when other teams give up on them but there is zero chance that they will give up a great deal of equity for AB.

You understand that the Patriots don't work this way, right?  They will take on problem superstars on the cheap when other teams give up on them but there is zero chance that they will give up a great deal of equity for AB.
Of course!  I thought it was obvious I was talking about a hypothetical situation that the Pats would never do.  I was talking about, hypothetically, what would the Steelers need to get in return for AB from the Pats.

Few notes today from Art Rooney press conference or meeting with reporters, I'll paraphrase a bit.

He said AB was not a distraction all year or a problem. Not till the last week and he has no idea what caused it. Said door is still open for AB to make amends and return but so far he sees no sign AB interested in that, acknowledged that you don't want to give up on talent like that. Stated they have had no trade talks as of yet.

I want them to trade him outside of the AFC.  Other than that, I just want them to get the best return possible.
It wouldn't surprise me if Brown is getting it out there that SF is where he really wants to go, and I won't be surprised if he eventually lets it out that he won't play for anyone but them, making the 49ers the only viable option when it comes to trading him. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Brown is getting it out there that SF is where he really wants to go,
He's been putting out subtle hints on twitter since end of season about wanting to be a 49'er so in some small way he is putting it out their already.

While it's technically true that the Steelers can trade him anywhere they please I'd not going around saying that he has zero leverage or say either as many have been here and nationally.  His leverage is he can help the Steelers maximize compensation on a trade but letting he's going to be happy with his new team, ready to report, good solider, not looking for contract restructure,etc,etc. I would be shocked if he tried to throw down a SF or else type ultimatum and likely won't even provide Steelers some kind of list, but if you are a team like Buffalo would you really give up a valuable asset without assurances from AB or Rosenhaus that he's on board? That's his leverage to me,  not enough leverage to demand a specific destination, but maybe enough to avoid certain places.

Obviously Bell would have helped but it was the two 4th quarter TD drives the defense gave up that really cost them the game
I'm sure "regular" Le'veon would have helped but he didn't want to be there anymore and appeared to leave the team hanging.   Not sure another bad attitude would benefit the club house.   I imagine that both sides, if given the same opportunity, might play their cards differently. 

But, the fact remains he wasn't available.  Attrition (for any reason) is a big part of the game.  Teams have to find another option and Connor proved to be a very serviceable replacement.

Doubt it. ABs reply to Arians' comment

https://i.imgur.com/JNdheAA.jpg
I am not sure what AB is saying-- Arians was the Steelers OC when AB was selected.

No matter. I guess there's one team off the list of potential trade partners.  And it doesn't sound like a reunion with Sanders in Denver would be a good situation either.

If AB really wants out of Pittsburgh he needs to stay off social media cause he isn't helping his cause.

Arians has no business discussing players under contract on another team and surprised he is not subject to discipline/fine for tampering.

Arians has no business discussing players under contract on another team and surprised he is not subject to discipline/fine for tampering.
I don't understand how his quote could be perceived as tampering?  And are coaches really not allowed to discuss other players?  What if they say something positive about another player?  I didn't see the interview but I imagine he was asked a question related to AB on the Adam Schefter podcast.  Is he not allowed to answer truthfully?  

I don't understand how his quote could be perceived as tampering?  And are coaches really not allowed to discuss other players?  What if they say something positive about another player?  I didn't see the interview but I imagine he was asked a question related to AB on the Adam Schefter podcast.  Is he not allowed to answer truthfully?  
You can decide for yourself but I'd start reading around page 5, number 4, which I cut and pasted below.

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2018 Policies/7-2018 Anti-Tampering Policy-Clean Version.pdf

4)

Public/Private Statements.

Any public or private statement of interest, qualified

or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or

to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti

-Tampering Policy.

(Example of a prohibited comment: “He’s an excellent player, and we’d very

much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.”) In

addition, speculation by a club owner, executive, or employee

on whether a player

under contract to a second club may play for a third club in the future may

negatively impact the relationship between the player

You can decide for yourself but I'd start reading around page 5, number 4, which I cut and pasted below.

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2018 Policies/7-2018 Anti-Tampering Policy-Clean Version.pdf

4)

or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or

-Tampering Policy.

much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.”) In

on whether a player

Wow color me shocked.  I wonder how often this rule is violated.  

About a month ago, I was in favor of the Steelers doing anything it would take to keep this guy on the team.  Now I hope he's not on the team (even though I know it's going to make the team worse).  He's a complete cancer.  

About a month ago, I was in favor of the Steelers doing anything it would take to keep this guy on the team.  Now I hope he's not on the team (even though I know it's going to make the team worse).  He's a complete cancer.  
I will continue to hold out false hope that AB will make amends. I still think he's the best WR in football at what is now a team friendly contract(and that might be one of his issues). Just don't see how we get better losing our third All-Pro type player in last 13 months. Unfortunately he's just not giving Steelers any choice.

BTW-not sure if anyone followed Marrone saying good stuff about Fournette yesterday. I think it's BS to improve his return in a possible trade. I think the Steelers failed in that regard here with AB. Maybe they could not have kept this under wraps, but sure wish they'd have tried harder to  just staywith the knee story for his week 17 absence and then tried to quietly shop him.

4)

-Tampering Policy.

on whether a player

Arians did this right. The key no-no is “expressing interest” as in a desire to have the player on your team.  

Arians can praise AB all he wants to.  Coaches are always telling us how great their upcoming opponent’s journeymen are.  Arians can criticize AB’s behavior.  What he can’t do is state or imply that he would like to have AB on his team.

I will continue to hold out false hope that AB will make amends. I still think he's the best WR in football at what is now a team friendly contract(and that might be one of his issues). Just don't see how we get better losing our third All-Pro type player in last 13 months. Unfortunately he's just not giving Steelers any choice.

BTW-not sure if anyone followed Marrone saying good stuff about Fournette yesterday. I think it's BS to improve his return in a possible trade. I think the Steelers failed in that regard here with AB. Maybe they could not have kept this under wraps, but sure wish they'd have tried harder to  just staywith the knee story for his week 17 absence and then tried to quietly shop him.
Once the word gets out among the teams that you are shopping a player the whole league knows you are trying to move him.   I don't think that is a big deal.

I think what is more likely to hurt his trade value is not what the Steelers are saying but more on AB's actions and social media outbursts.   I am sure that teams with an interest in Brown could shrug off some of his comments against his former team as an unhappy player but his off the field antics like driving over 100 mph on McKnight road, throwing furniture from balconies, unexcused absences, accusing reporters of being racists and uncle Toms, etc.  are the kinds of things that would make me think twice giving up a high draft pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
  I am sure that teams with an interest in Brown could shrug off some of his comments against his former team as an unhappy player but his off the field antics like driving over 100 mph on McKnight road, throwing furniture from balconies, unexcused absences, accusing reporters of being racists and uncle Toms, etc.  are the kinds of things that would make me think twice giving up a high draft pick.
Unless you're the GM of a team that hasn't had an elite skill position player in years and think he could help you win.

With rumors being he really wants to go to San Francisco, if I'm the Steelers I dont even entertain any offers from them. Unless they are mind blowing, send him to a bottom dweller 
:lmao:  SF is 30th out of 32 in the standings. That's not bottom dweller enough for your hate? 

In the past 2 years, AB has been paid 33M. His current contract has 3 years remaining for a shade under 39. By him squawking now, he can force a trade to a new team who will pay him big, new bucks. And they will have to, after giving up draft picks.  

We’ve seen this play out before with Darrell’s Revis as a jet. If I recall, Revis insisted on a front-loaded, 4 year 60M contract that paid out roughly 40M over the first two years. Once it was time for the team-friendly 10M Years 3 and 4, Revis held out to get back to the 20M/year he was accustomed to. At 31, Antonio doesn’t have time to play out the team friendly 3 year 39M deal. 

Lastly, Antonio is vindictive AF and wants to stick it to the Steelers. What he can do is force his way out and mess up their cap for 2019, as his buddy Le’veon did in 2018. The risk: Pittsburgh controls where AB goes, so he could be exiled to Buffalo, Arizona, Denver or Washington 
why would someone trade for AB, with 3 years left on his deal, "team friendly as you put it, and then pay him more? they dont have to. AB can hold out, sure, but why would you not only give up a premium pick but also destroy your cap space for a guy who is more about himself than the team? 

:lmao:  SF is 30th out of 32 in the standings. That's not bottom dweller enough for your hate? 
30th out of 32, but look at the roster they started the season with and the roster they ended with. They are a team likely headed in the right direction. send him to a team that isnt headed in the right direction. raiders are perfect, and maybe even Arizona. two teams that might get worse before they get better. and no, I dont think its possible to be worse than 32nd out of 32 teams

eta:

Now I dont think SF is contending for the playoffs in 2019, so I would classify them as a bottom dweller. I just think they have a lot of promise

why would someone trade for AB, with 3 years left on his deal, "team friendly as you put it, and then pay him more? they dont have to. AB can hold out, sure, but why would you not only give up a premium pick but also destroy your cap space for a guy who is more about himself than the team? 
More likely than not, AB wants to freshen up his contract and reset it to market value. Why wouldn’t he?? And the only way to revisit the contract is to force a trade and make somebody else pay him. The teams considering trading for him would be over the moon to have him playing on the cheap for 3 years, but AB won’t be a happy camper playing on a below market deal. Not a chance. AB wants to get paid again and that’s why the Steelers will get a third and not a first

More likely than not, AB wants to freshen up his contract and reset it to market value. Why wouldn’t he?? And the only way to revisit the contract is to force a trade and make somebody else pay him. The teams considering trading for him would be over the moon to have him playing on the cheap for 3 years, but AB won’t be a happy camper playing on a below market deal. Not a chance. AB wants to get paid again and that’s why the Steelers will get a third and not a first

Huh.  He wasn’t acting like a little ***** when he got $25M in bonuses before ever taking a snap under his current contract.  Now he thinks it’s unfair and below market?  He should have thought about that when he signed it and elected to give up some of that bonus money to get more salary on the backside.  Of course, that wouldn’t have been very smart on his part, would it? 

AB might be fine getting paid what he is due on his contract, he just simply might want a chunk of it guaranteed or converted to a bonus which I think is perfectly reasonable since he's out of guarantees. Julio was a in a similar situation last offseason, the Falcons guaranteed him more more money in 2018 but not more total pay on his contract and might have to do it again this year.

I do not anticipate AB's contract being any kind of a hang up.

I still think this crap smoothes over during the long off-season and he's back next year.  The Steelers won't get what he is really worth, and they have to take the cap hit anyways making it even harder to part with him as their window closes. 

If he's really that big of a clubhouse cancer and this is the last straw, maybe they give him away... but that Facebook live crap he pulled was probably worse than this incident by a good margin. 

Terrell Owens confirmed that Antonio Brown wants out of Pittsburgh.

The former wide receiver has been a mentor to AB and claims the two spoke often throughout Brown's tumultuous 2018 campaign. "He wants to move on," said Owens, who cited Brown's deteriorating relationship with Ben Roethlisberger as a source of tension. "I think Ben owes him a lot more respect than he has given him." Owens, who wore out his welcome at almost every stop in his NFL career, is an odd person to ask for advice, though apparently he's become a trusted resource for Brown. T.O. also noted that A.B. has inquired about San Francisco, where Owens spent the first eight seasons of his career, on "several occasions." Brown's ongoing saga will be one of the most compelling storylines of the offseason.

Source: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports 

Jan 25 - 4:07 PM

Paints a more damaging picture of Brown and Tomlin.

As the Steelers and receiver Antonio Brown careen toward a divorce, it’s becoming more clear how the relationship reached an apparent point of no return.

A new article from Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com, which strings together much of the popcorn that has been flying out of the metal kettle in recent weeks, paints a picture of a player who routinely lived by his own set of rules — and a team that allowed it.

The most stunning example comes from a previously-unknown double standard that has applied to Brown during training camp. While teammates were crammed into dorm rooms, Brown has had an off-campus rental house.

Per Fowler, Brown would be seen getting dropped off at training camp in the mornings, knowing full well he wasn’t sleeping in the dorm with the rest of the team.

“We even admired him for it, like, ‘How does he pull that off?'” a former Steelers teammates told Fowler.

Brown also pulled off the chronic ability to show up late for meetings, with only periodic fines from coach Mike Tomlin for it.

“Tomlin basically could have fined A.B. every day if he wanted to,” an ex-teammate told Fowler.

“He shows up late with a big smile on his face,” former teammate Doug Legursky told Fowler. “You’re not even mad.”

Another current teammate is mad that it’s an issue. “[W]ho gives a f–k if he’s 15 minutes late to a meeting?” the unnamed teammate told Fowler.

And the tardiness issue doesn’t apply only to meetings during the week. Consider this passage from Fowler’s article: “On game days, players marveled at Brown showing up uncomfortably close to kickoff, rocking a mink coat while other players were in full uniform, and then having 150 yards receiving by the fourth quarter.”

Beyond not regularly taking small amounts of money from Brown in an effort to express ongoing displeasure with his behavior, the Steelers on multiple occasions have given Brown large amounts of money which necessarily rewards it. From the first major contract he received in 2012 (after only two NFL seasons, since he was drafted before the minimum waiting period moved to three years) to multiple annual adjustments aimed at pushing future money forward to a major extension given to him only two years ago, which included a $19 million signing bonus in 2017 plus another lump sum of $12.96 million in 2018.

Adding his 2017 and 2018 salaries, that’s nearly $34 million handed to Brown in the aftermath of Brown crossed a bright line by broadcasting on Facebook Live from the locker room after a playoff win.

Balance against that are periodic taps of the hand and a private articulation by Tomlin of the standard that essentially applies to all players: When he’s no longer worth what we’re paying him, he’ll be gone.

He’s still worth it as a player. But the bridge has been burned because Brown, emboldened by years of enabling, reacted strongly when the team apparently (and belatedly) decided to try to rein him in.

Like Tom Brady, Brown entered the league as a sixth-round draft pick. Unlike Brady, the Steelers became so infatuated with Brown’s unexpected abilities that they allowed Brown to exercise liberties at a time when he would have reacted far less aggressively than he is now. Ultimately, then, the Steelers have only themselves to blame for the mess in which they now find themselves.

If that last post is accurate, I’d imagine there were a whole lot of guys in that locker room who weren’t enamored of Brown’s constant antics, despite the story spinning that his teammates loved and admired them.

That is some serious disfunction. 

I wonder what the outcome would have been if Tomlin took the hardass approach. 

If that last post is accurate, I’d imagine there were a whole lot of guys in that locker room who weren’t enamored of Brown’s constant antics, despite the story spinning that his teammates loved and admired them.
Funny because when  I read that article I had a whole different interpretation then you and did in fact come away thinking his teammates are enamored of him, would welcome him back and in no way is he is some kind of locker room cancer or bad teammate. Seems like his worst sin is running a little late sometimes.

Funny because when  I read that article I had a whole different interpretation then you and did in fact come away thinking his teammates are enamored of him, would welcome him back and in no way is he is some kind of locker room cancer or bad teammate. Seems like his worst sin is running a little late sometimes.
Kind of like he was always pushing the envelope to see how far he could go.  I don't think that's good for any locker room long term.  I believe it's the coach's job to treat everyone the same, or try and come close.  I know there are exceptions with QBs. .  That's one thing I respected about Tom Landry, who players hated to play for, but respected him after they retired.   Players don't have to like a coach, but he must command the locker room.  I think if a coach shows favorites he stands a chance of losing all the players. 

Kind of like he was always pushing the envelope to see how far he could go.  I don't think that's good for any locker room long term.  I believe it's the coach's job to treat everyone the same, or try and come close.  I know there are exceptions with QBs. .  That's one thing I respected about Tom Landry, who players hated to play for, but respected him after they retired.   Players don't have to like a coach, but he must command the locker room.  I think if a coach shows favorites he stands a chance of losing all the players. 
I did not get a sense AB was trying to push the envelope at all. Seems his biggest sin before week 17 this past year was tardiness.

As for Landry your opinion is not shared by all. I recall reading a book about Hollywood Henderson years ago and he mentioned often in the book that he got away with things because of how good he was and the flat said Landry had favorites.

I did not get a sense AB was trying to push the envelope at all. Seems his biggest sin before week 17 this past year was tardiness.

As for Landry your opinion is not shared by all. I recall reading a book about Hollywood Henderson years ago and he mentioned often in the book that he got away with things because of how good he was and the flat said Landry had favorites.
I definitely could be wrong about Landry, but my impression of him was a strict disciplinarian for his entire team.

I definitely could be wrong about Landry, but my impression of him was a strict disciplinarian for his entire team.
Hard to not find a coach from that era who was not a strict disiplinarian. Players were a lot more inclined to toe the line in those days.

But I think you can be a strict disciplinarian with most of your team and still give the stars more leash. I'm sure you'd say Parcells is a strict disciplinarian, I would. I'm also sure he gave LT a lot more leash and there are things LT could do that say the 40th man on the roster could not get away with it.

Users who are viewing this thread