What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (6 Viewers)

This guy, AB is a ##### bag of the tallest order. Get this dude off the field!! My god!! And I have him in a few leagues. This guy doesn’t deserve the NFL nor any of the money/power that comes with it. What a POS. 

If AB really Elijah Dukes'd threatened this woman, he's played his last game this season.

EDIT: I should be careful about that, we don't know exactly what the texts contained and I think if Brown did what Dukes did, he'd be in court already because police would've intervened.
The texts are available for consumption on-line. They are not intimidating or threatening to any reasonable person. 

Put me in the camp that this guy has to be on the exempt list.

This is the exact thing it is for.

The NFL set this precedent, they need to live by it of holding people to the standard the injected into certain cases for all. 

From Zeke to Gordon.

The texts are available for consumption on-line. They are not intimidating or threatening to any reasonable person. 
Now read it pretending you are a woman who is suing him and was raped by him (allegedly).

They can be considered intimidating. What one person can say to one may not be intimidating to another. 

NFL is in a tough spot. Still no criminal charges so their hands are tied. And as long as there are unethical guys like Belichick around, these guys will always find a soft landing spot.  

There was no direct physical threat and its probably open to interpretation on an individual level what one would consider to be intimidating, but I would think at a minimum any reasonable person would consider these to be harassment.  He's certainly not making contact with her to have a friendly chat about the situation and any time you bring someone's kids into it that's going to escalate the situation.

On a slightly different note...I wanted to relay observations of the quick press conference he had. 

-I'm not sure how many questions he answered, I only saw one or two, but I saw/heard that New England has really good handlers just off of where the media was surrounding him..."Last question" as it was caught on the microphones and Brown looked like he was reading a script. AB is proof almost anyone can follow the Patriots rules but they seem to have a built in system of people that orchestrate the social media, print media, TV media, they can take rotten stories that would derail other franchises and they just move forward.

I agree with all posters who are advocating Brown be put on Commish list. I think even a few weeks there will send a loud and clear message to the rest of the players...that alone will make Goodell follow thru because if he doesn't this thing could snowball with other players on other teams. 

-He must protect the SHIELD 😉

It’s the posting of pictures of her kids that throws it over the top for me. Any time that happens, you are bordering on intimidation at minimum imo. 
It's the "I'm not touching you ... I'm not touching you!" of intimidation -- Brown's words in the text just barely staying on the right side of the line so that any intimidation has to be inferred and he can claim deniability of intent.

I also heard a discussion on the ramifications of AB if he were to face discipline by the league. It could dramatically swing his court case before he even stepped into a courtroom. The woman’s attorneys could cite his discipline as proof he should be held liable . . . based on a rushed independent investigation by the league potentially fueled and supported by the media.
One Captain-Obvious thing that your post reminds of:

There is a significant contingent of the national sports media that believes it's effed up, improper, and incorrect that Antonio Brown has an NFL job right now. But they're not content to merely heap dung on Brown from afar -- they want to effect change through their own actions as media. Whether it's finding that one smoking gun, or else finding a bunch more of smaller "mini-offenses" to throw on the bonfire ... they want him gone and will happily make themselves part of the news to make it happen.

To wit: Where was Klemko's SI article in, say, July?

When is the nfl going to take this vile piece of gutter trash off the field. Just unbelievable. 
Grown men raging on social media and message boards at the NFL's reality TV efforts.

Like my wife yelling at the TV when a Housewife of Portland gets into a fake fight with that Housewife of Memphis.

AB sent what he sent to his attorney. Dumb move but pretty sure he was not threatening her if he CC'd his attorney about his concerns.

Are his comments "Threatening"? "Menacing"? "Intimidating"? "Harassing?" With the intent to scare her? Those are words the media has put in the headlines. Another case AB using poor judgment, acting stupidly, and ill-advised. But criminal?

To me it sounds like he is concerned that another woman is fabricating a story about him as a potential candidate to demand money. He included pictures of her kids to illustrate that she is broke and needs money. I don't read any threats in what he sent, but others may view it differently. But people will see the headline that he THREATENED her so that's the perception people will have.

The woman and her attorney went right to the NFL . . . and by extension right to the media. So another potential instance of avoiding law enforcement or trying things in a court. But they know they will get AB convicted in a court of popular opinion.

I would expect there will be more and more layered on this and more is destined to come out. That he cheated on a test in school. That he was handsy with a woman on a date back in high school. That he was drunk in a bar in Michigan and called someone inappropriate names 10 years ago. That he walked out and didn't pay at a restaurant.

Not trying to defend AB as a person. I would never do the things that he's done and his actions are deplorable. But if anyone of us had 500 reporters ratcheting up and digging into our personal lives and trying to gain access to our entire life history, what could people find? Who knows what any of us have from our past . . . texts, emails, pictures, videos, lawsuits, jilted exes, late payments, heated exchanges with someone in a public place, people with axes to grind, etc.

Probably the best thing that could happen for all parties involved is if RG gave AB a very vague and ambiguous SUSPENSION for a few games for conduct unbecoming and made all of this go away. IMO, the exempt list is WAY WORSE than a suspension, as a player can sit on the exempt list for months if not an entire season and then STILL get suspended. If worded correctly, it would not be for any specific allegation so not to validate any one incident. If it happened immediately, the Patriots could live with it as they have a cupcake schedule until November. The accusers and those affected by Brown would feel somewhat vindicated. Brown avoids a lengthy trip to the exempt list and a longer suspension. That's a partial win for everyone.

One Captain-Obvious thing that your post reminds of:

There is a significant contingent of the national sports media that believes it's effed up, improper, and incorrect that Antonio Brown has an NFL job right now. But they're not content to merely heap dung on Brown from afar -- they want to effect change through their own actions as media. Whether it's finding that one smoking gun, or else finding a bunch more of smaller "mini-offenses" to throw on the bonfire ... they want him gone and will happily make themselves part of the news to make it happen.

To wit: Where was Klemko's SI article in, say, July?
As an extension to this (the media part), it has been reported that the league won't act until there is some sort of criminal investigation or the possibility of criminal charges. So the media (who doesn't think he should be playing) has been trying extra hard to dig up more dirt on AB (still not criminal in nature) and open things up to anything and anything to make him look even worse. Apparently their hope is by coming up with 1,000 plastic spoons that added together that will somehow translate into a single steak knife and have that serve as a deadly weapon.

AB sent what he sent to his attorney. Dumb move but pretty sure he was not threatening her if he CC'd his attorney about his concerns.

Are his comments "Threatening"? "Menacing"? "Intimidating"? "Harassing?" With the intent to scare her? Those are words the media has put in the headlines. Another case AB using poor judgment, acting stupidly, and ill-advised. But criminal?

To me it sounds like he is concerned that another woman is fabricating a story about him as a potential candidate to demand money. He included pictures of her kids to illustrate that she is broke and needs money. I don't read any threats in what he sent, but others may view it differently. But people will see the headline that he THREATENED her so that's the perception people will have.

The woman and her attorney went right to the NFL . . . and by extension right to the media. So another potential instance of avoiding law enforcement or trying things in a court. But they know they will get AB convicted in a court of popular opinion.

I would expect there will be more and more layered on this and more is destined to come out. That he cheated on a test in school. That he was handsy with a woman on a date back in high school. That he was drunk in a bar in Michigan and called someone inappropriate names 10 years ago. That he walked out and didn't pay at a restaurant.

Not trying to defend AB as a person. I would never do the things that he's done and his actions are deplorable. But if anyone of us had 500 reporters ratcheting up and digging into our personal lives and trying to gain access to our entire life history, what could people find? Who knows what any of us have from our past . . . texts, emails, pictures, videos, lawsuits, jilted exes, late payments, heated exchanges with someone in a public place, people with axes to grind, etc.

Probably the best thing that could happen for all parties involved is if RG gave AB a very vague and ambiguous SUSPENSION for a few games for conduct unbecoming and made all of this go away. IMO, the exempt list is WAY WORSE than a suspension, as a player can sit on the exempt list for months if not an entire season and then STILL get suspended. If worded correctly, it would not be for any specific allegation so not to validate any one incident. If it happened immediately, the Patriots could live with it as they have a cupcake schedule until November. The accusers and those affected by Brown would feel somewhat vindicated. Brown avoids a lengthy trip to the exempt list and a longer suspension. That's a partial win for everyone.
If it weren’t for the pics of the kids I’d agree. Not sure what including them had to do with his point other than I know who your kids are. Cause they were wearing Carters clothes instead of Hanna Anderson, they’re poor? Dunno. Also the text about knowing where she’s going to be this weekend and asking ahead of time if anyone at the rally knows her can be seen as intimidating imo. Some crazy people in this world.

How does putting pictures of someone's kids illustrate someone is broke again? 

I don't know that AB's text messages should be characterized as threatening.  He denied the claims and called her a "super broke girl" and claimed she had a lot of kids.  That is not especially intimidating.  Poor judgment? Absolutely.  Threatening?  Hardly.  Let's call off the lynching and allow AB due process.  Everyone is piling on AB now, including claims of dead fish and farting at his doctor's office.  If AB is the monster he has been described by his accusers as, I am confident he will face suspension, but let's not act too hastily.  Thus far, we have accusations.  Let the investigative process play out.  I am not defending AB, but the process that should be afforded an accused.
He included her on a group chat asking other people to dig up information on her.  It’s clearly an attempt to intimidate her. 

He included pictures of her kids to illustrate that she is broke and needs money.
You lost me here. 

He sent intimidating text messages to a woman who claimed he sexually assaulted her & included pictures of her children. 😳

Thats....not good. 

On another note, how powerful is Nike? I mean, they dropped him yesterday before this news broke. Makes you wonder if a little bird told them this was coming before the public/media knew. 

Did she go to the NFL and the Media or did the NFL leak this? 
Probably her lawyer did. If she were my client I would send it to the media, and I hate litigating in the media.  

This is potentially a safety issue. Every person on that chain needs to know everyone is aware of the text chain and to lay off.  Completely. 

If the NFL did, I can think of no other reason than to justify an upcoming suspension. 

Probably her lawyer did. If she were my client I would send it to the media, and I hate litigating in the media.  

This is potentially a safety issue. Every person on that chain needs to know everyone is aware of the text chain and to lay off.  Completely. 

If the NFL did, I can think of no other reason than to justify an upcoming suspension. 
You are spot on today

He included her on a group chat asking other people to dig up information on her.  It’s clearly an attempt to intimidate her. 
Exactly. I'm not sure why that's hard for some to grasp.

Trying to step into her shoes... she receives a group message from the person she pointed a finger at... he posts pictures of her children, asking one of his "investigators" (???) to look into her, he responds with "send me her info bro"...

Yes, pretty obvious to see why she (right-fully so) did not take this lightly given recent actions of the person behind the message and the resources available to him (not to mention the unconditional love he receives for being an NFL superstar creating a Teflon Don persona).

Send a photo of my kids to anyone in almost any context and we are going to have a conversation.
Not trying to be a tool here, but is it just the picture that is gnawing at you?
Aren't the picture(s) he included posted on social media (ie anyone can view them)?
Would including a link instead have also been considered inappropriate?

Not trying to be a tool here, but is it just the picture that is gnawing at you?
Aren't the picture(s) he included posted on social media (ie anyone can view them)?

The existence of the chat with her on it is inappropriate. 

What is the point of including the kids photo?  No, using a link to a photo of anyone's kids is also not ok.  Just don't include kids in matters of adults.

Also, if you and I got in an ifight on here and I started exactly this text chain as a kind of thread, posting pictures of your kids and talking smack about you while I did, I hope you’d tell Joe or David and probably the police.  It wouldn’t be an overreaction. 

You lost me here. 

He sent intimidating text messages to a woman who claimed he sexually assaulted her & included pictures of her children. 😳

Thats....not good. 

On another note, how powerful is Nike? I mean, they dropped him yesterday before this news broke. Makes you wonder if a little bird told them this was coming before the public/media knew. 
The woman in question is the one who said he approached her in his house wearing a wash cloth to cover himself. She never alleged he assaulted her, she never said he touched her, and from what I remember, her commentary was that she described the encounter as inappropriate and making her feel uncomfortable. But the public has the perception that this is a second woman that he sexually assaulted. Read what he sent her. Some people will conclude it was threatening or intimidating . . . others may not. 

As for Brown, the Nike stuff was hashed out yesterday in the local media. They deduced that Brown was not a big revenue producer for them so keeping him on wasn't much of a loss. Had he been bringing them in millions of dollars, they may have opted to stand by him. It sounds like he had issues in making public appearances and keeping to the schedule of what they wanted him to do, and that also was a factor. It sounds like they used him more for overseas events and he wasn't really much of a draw in the US.

I always wonder about people who say things like this.  If somebody went digging through my background looking for dirt, they would find a handful of speeding tickets, a parking ticket from the University of Arizona that I deliberately ignored (UA police: If you're reading this, get bent), and an uncharacteristically bad performance on a differential equations final in my senior year.  Nothing interesting, and definitely no track record of sexual assault.

Users who are viewing this thread