Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Casting Couch

Antonio Brown - Out of his Head - Out of the League

ESPN Boston reports Antonio Brown is unlikely to get any of his $9 million signing bonus from the Patriots.

The Patriots plan to use the "representation warranty clause" to void Brown's signing bonus. Brown didn't disclose he was dealing with an off-field situation before signing with New England, which they view as a breach of contract. The NFLPA could file a grievance, but it sounds like Brown may only end up with his $1 million salary, two game checks ($125K), and a $33,333 roster bonus. Since Brown was released after June 1, any money the Patriots owe can be spread out over the next two years.

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

SOURCE: ESPN Boston

Sep 20, 2019, 7:32 PM ET

31 minutes ago, KellysHeroes said:

I don't see how, they signed him.. he played a game with them.  And he still hasn't been charged with anything.

Sorry, they owe him 9 mil

He was to report any outside issues that would hinder him playing or he forfeits the bonus. Well he didn’t report this issue soooo. The language is in the contract he signed.

Tex

2 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

Jakoby Meyers is alive again

Phillip Dorsett actually gets a big bump, especially based on his play the first 2 games.

So it appears that Antonio Brown went through a great deal or work, trouble and expense to deprive himself of $30 million and the rest of his career. Pretty amazing really.

• Like 9

What an idiot 

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

8 minutes ago, Faust said:

And the part that drives people mad is BB won't answer a question about him moving forward. He'll act like he was never part of the team and we'll never hear a word about him again, that's all fine and dandy but the Patriots signed this guy an hour after the fiasco in Oakland...I agree with some of the SI report. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain

Think there's any chance he makes restitution to any of these people  IF so would you personally be okay with a team deciding to sign him?   It's a long list I believe $700 picture $1000 mural?  32K catering  10K Doctor   (I'd estimate maybe 4M for the alleged rape victim)  

I understand it would probably take a court of law to get any repayment more than likely   But the man has said things like "It's not about the money"   I also figure that some including his agent may figure the man owes nobody and should be allowed to play (work) in the league period

NFL released a statement and basically said if a team signs him, he's going on the exempt list. 

You know... Without explicitly saying it. 

Read here

• Like 3

Just now, Soulfly3 said:

NFL released a statement and basically said if a team signs him, he's going on the exempt list. 

Read here

Whatever little chance he had of signing, well that chance has vanished. 

Crazy how much $$ this dude cost himself. I can't even comprehend how much he f'ed up the rest of his life. So stupid.

6 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

Read here

The optics there are bad.  The NFL did nothing about it when he was on the Patriots, but now they are basically telling all of the other teams that if they sign him, they will probably put him on the exempt list.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

if ab signs w another team, kaep legit has to file a lawsuit

They both need to go away, and their respective threads should be locked.

That way it won't clutter up the front page of the Shark Pool where we discuss actual fantasy football players.     :lol:

TZM

Edited by TZMarkie

1 minute ago, Soulfly3 said:

Wrong thread but hasn't he turned down "prove it" contracts w/ a chance to earn a starting gig?  

1 minute ago, Ghost Rider said:

The optics there are bad.  The NFL did nothing about it when he was on the Patriots, but now they are basically telling all of the other teams that if they sign him, they will probably put him on the exempt list.  

well, to be fair... Maybe the league gave their fave franchise a little heads up today. 

I wouldnt rule it out for a second

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

If the league found the text story to the second woman the straw that broke the camel’s back, NE cut AB less than 24 hours after the report surfaced. We don’t really know what the league would have done if he had stayed a Patriot. They may have let him play this week and excerpted him next week. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

Apples to oranges.  Kaep isnt nearly the talent that AB is.  And also, Kaep is much more polarizing in the locker room.....Lincoln Kennedy said today on the Brian Noe show that AB was well liked by the guys in Oakland.....and we know he outworks everyone.

That said, AB is a monumental POS, but he's a generational talent POS.....at this point, the public outcry would be such that no team will likely sign him.

I honestly hope Kaep gets his shot, so when he likely fails, he can go away...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KellysHeroes said:

I don't see how, they signed him.. he played a game with them.  And he still hasn't been charged with anything.

Sorry, they owe him 9 mil

I just called the Pats and let them know. While not happy, they know what KellysHeroes says goes, and they respect your decision. 

• Laughing 1

There is only 1 team possibly left that would take a chance on Brown, a team and owner desperate to win another Superbowl.

Hello AB, this is Jerry Jones lets meet and see if we can make you a Cowboy.

• Like 1

AB has million dollar expenses. He doesn’t seem to me, I could be wrong, the type to save for times like this. With the endorsement loses and everything else, he is going to have a hard time living like he has over the last few years. His bills arn’t like most of ours, they are thousands over thousands. If not signed and with how he “talks” what the hell is he going to do next to pay the bills. What can he do other then catch footballs. Guy is in trouble and should start downsizing everything around him. 

14 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

There is only 1 team possibly left that would take a chance on Brown, a team and owner desperate to win another Superbowl.

Hello AB, this is Jerry Jones lets meet and see if we can make you a Cowboy.

Don't forget the Redskins.  The worse owner, and organization, in all of professional sports.  Because, well, Redskins.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

this saga really is ####### amazing.  the past 9 months... good lord

It's 8:08 here on a Friday night and I just heard some karaoke singer in my head sing Led Zep's "Stairway To Heaven". You know, the part where it breaks down and he goes "...it makes you wonder. Whoa-oa-oh. Yeah-yeah."

It does make you wonder, doesn't it?

20 minutes ago, trader jake said:

Don't forget the Redskins.  The worse owner, and organization, in all of professional sports.  Because, well, Redskins.

The Redskins are thinking he could get some drug and firearms charges on top of all this and still play for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

So it appears that Antonio Brown went through a great deal or work, trouble and expense to deprive himself of $30 million and the rest of his career. Pretty amazing really.

Some claim that Brown's behavior is evidence of CTE.  Soon, some of the brain pathology of CTE might be detected during life with a PET scan that measues a protein known as tau. But it's early in the research and studies with larger cohorts followed for longer periods need to be done. 

22 minutes ago, rockaction said:

It's 8:08 here on a Friday night and I just heard some karaoke singer in my head sing Led Zep's "Stairway To Heaven". You know, the part where it breaks down and he goes "...it makes you wonder. Whoa-oa-oh. Yeah-yeah."

It does make you wonder, doesn't it?

Definitely seems like a communication breakdown somewhere for brown...

• Laughing 2

Someone will sign him if he doesn’t get suspended is my guess.  The usual suspects have been listed, Dallas would be a great spot.  I wouldn’t sell for cheap in dynasty and if you can get him for next to nothing I’d do it.  

Is this the beginning of a nasty downward spiral for AB? Dude has/had it all, money, fame, etc. etc. but certainly has issues that need to be addressed.

Hoping he can get the help he needs...

2 hours ago, The General said:

The guy completely ####ed the Raiders. If his contract says they don’t have to pay him, tough #######.

But it's funnier if the Patriots have to pay him.

6 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

Everybody always overlooks the Cowboys. The Cowboys have taken on a LOT of guys with significant character concerns.

They have a nice developing WR corps and a younger QB.  How does AB fit in that group?

Seattle is short a Doug Baldwin.  

7 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Taking another side bar, part of the problem is once momentum starts gaining full steam, accusations turn into rumors, rumors turn into gossip, gossip suddenly becomes fact, and then there is a mob mentality.

Here's an example. I've coached multiple youth sports for 15 or 20 years. One year I coached our son's baseball team and we had a Friday evening practice. My son had something else going on and was out of town, but I still held the practice. There was a girl on the team that had just turned 13 and was new in town. Practice ended but no one picked her up. Her parents had just gotten divorced and I called each of them and no one answered. We sat like two bumps on a log and waited for an hour at the field. It was pitch back in a remote location, and obviously I was not going to leave her alone. We drove to her house, which was locked up solid. I tried calling the parents again to no avail. I tried checking to see if any neighbors were around. No luck there either. I tried calling the head of the baseball program and the head of the youth sports program. No one answered those calls and left messages.

Not having any other avenues, I took her home. I had pizza delivered, plunked her down on my couch and let her hang out and watch TV. Unfortunately, we were the only ones there. Two hours later the mom called asking what was going on. She got mad . . . at her ex-husband . . . because she said it was his weekend to have her. He called a little while later and said actually, it was mom's weekend. I indicated to both of them that I am not a babysitter, and someone needed to come get her. But no one did right away, and when I called them both back, neither one answered.

Mom apparently was on a date and finally got home and checked her voicemail and found out her daughter was still with me. The father was out of town and out of state. Obviously he wasn't going to get the girl. Finally the mom showed up at my house after 1 AM to collect her daughter and then went ballistic at me that I had been home alone with her for hours.

Of course, the next day the mother did a deep dive on me on-line and found reference to my ongoing court issues including allegations that I abused my kids. She immediately went to the youth association demanding that I never coach anything again and that I had been alone with her daughter for hours. Of course she brought up the other allegations and threatened to sue them.

Clearly I did not harm her daughter in any way (and the daughter supported that, saying that I fed her and entertained her while waiting for someone to get her). Yet I got no thanks for feeding her and watching her for over 6 hours. Somehow in all of that, people tried to play me out as the bad guy. I ended up being allowed to continue on as a coach, but when the board voted people actually voted against me being allowed to remain as coach. 

You tell good stories, real or not my sympathy ends when people make poor decisions. Like above. 

50 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Definitely seems like a communication breakdown somewhere for brown...

“Nobody’s fault but mine...”

2 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

People are funny.

After the kangaroo court that was "Deflategate", when Bob Kraft said "I was wrong to trust the league" and basically spit in the face of Roger Goodell and NFL ownership at large, and yet we are still supposed to accept the notion that the Patriots are the golden child.  What a crock of ####.

y'all can FOH with your FAUX righteous indignation.

See what I did there?

Good evening.

• Like 2

I will say that the events of the last 72 hours completely exonerate the Patriots against any claim they colluded with Antonio Brown to act nuts just to get out of Oakland and over to them.

41 minutes ago, Chaka said:

But it's funnier if the Patriots have to pay him.

Well yeah. But that's why they did what they did. Zero risk.

1 hour ago, mozzy84 said:

Someone will sign him if he doesn’t get suspended is my guess.  The usual suspects have been listed, Dallas would be a great spot.  I wouldn’t sell for cheap in dynasty and if you can get him for next to nothing I’d do it.  

Unless you get points for Canadian Football League stats, you are probably wasting a roster spot.  

1 hour ago, mozzy84 said:

The notice from the NFL basically reads they will suspend him as soon as anyone signs him. It's the kiss of death.

11 hours ago, Dizzy said:

Gimme some slack Jack!

Jive can't understand Antonio Brown.

• Laughing 1

8 hours ago, belljr said:

Field Yates

If Antonio Brown does not wind up receiving his $9M signing bonus from the Patriots (the first $5M was due to be paid on Monday), he will go from a $30M guarantee in March to $9M guaranteed to just $158,333 made for 2019

This is indicative of sociopathy, other serious mental illness, or the like. If we ever find out he has CTE, I might actually begin to feel a little sorry for him.

On the positive side, I learned what "foh" means today. THANKS NARCISSISTIC MILLENIALS!

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

3 hours ago, dallas428 said:

AB has million dollar expenses. He doesn’t seem to me, I could be wrong, the type to save for times like this. With the endorsement loses and everything else, he is going to have a hard time living like he has over the last few years. His bills arn’t like most of ours, they are thousands over thousands. If not signed and with how he “talks” what the hell is he going to do next to pay the bills. What can he do other then catch footballs. Guy is in trouble and should start downsizing everything around him. 

Antonio Brown doesn’t pay his bills so he should still have plenty of money left in the bank. The problem will come now that everyone is suing him.

• Like 1

Things I never thought I’d say, “the buy-low window on Josh Gordon has likely closed.”

😳

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

Well, didn't Kaep already file that collusion lawsuit? If I recall, he and Eric Reid settled that out of court.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

I will say that the events of the last 72 hours completely exonerate the Patriots against any claim they colluded with Antonio Brown to act nuts just to get out of Oakland and over to them.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. AB may have been playing everyone all along thinking he's the smartest guy in the room and with his superstar stature, can just make it all go away by playing football. However, he made a series of costly blunders that just about anyone could have seen coming. The gig is up. That's what leads me to the conclusion that this guy is delusional and out of touch with reality. You make these types of decisions only if you think you are invincible and or living in a fantasy world. This reeks of illness.

• Like 1