What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (7 Viewers)

Brown should have tweeted a picture of his Super Bowl ring to Baker to show him what it means to win something in this league. Oh wait . . .

How the heck do you file a grievance for a 2020 option that clearly wasn't picked up as you couldn't even make it through 2019 with the team?

Last edited by a moderator:
How the heck do you file a grievance for a 2020 option that clearly wasn't picked up as you couldn't even make it through 2019 with the team?
All about the "brand" here. Fact: For most players, once you're off the field you are NOTHING... irrelevant... cease to exist.

How long do you think AB can live with that? He will do whatever it takes to remain in NFL discussions on a weekly basis.

One should never argue with the village idiot. Onlookers can’t tell the difference between the two. 
Is he really an idiot if he gets all this money and doesnt even need to practice/play?

I mean, yes he is an idiot, but if he is doing this on purpose he is a slick idiot.  

I really dont have a clue what to think cause this is all crazy.  

I really thought that was his latest angle, get diagnosed as bi-polar and blame everything on that.  Then go on the tour being the spokesman for getting things right.

As a general rule, people are sympathetic when someone caught up in a web of madness (great band name) seeks treatment (seeking treatment is also a great band name). 
As someone who has Aspergers (Autism at a highly functional level) it just really bothers me when people use a neurological or mental illness as a reason for not acting like a good human and not being accountable for themselves. Now I'm sure you are talking about the other of AB get diagnosed and they can say because it wasn't known already he was not on proper treatment that could've helped curtail or prevent his behavior. 

I really hate when people use the race card or mental handicap as a reason to not take accountability for themselves. I've seen it at my job first hand people doing these things. AB can still come out and say hey I'm now diagnosed with "X" but also I do take accountability for my past transgressions as well. In now way does my diagnoses defend me from some of my actions 

As someone who has Aspergers (Autism at a highly functional level) it just really bothers me when people use a neurological or mental illness as a reason for not acting like a good human and not being accountable for themselves. Now I'm sure you are talking about the other of AB get diagnosed and they can say because it wasn't known already he was not on proper treatment that could've helped curtail or prevent his behavior. 

I really hate when people use the race card or mental handicap as a reason to not take accountability for themselves. I've seen it at my job first hand people doing these things. AB can still come out and say hey I'm now diagnosed with "X" but also I do take accountability for my past transgressions as well. In now way does my diagnoses defend me from some of my actions 
Good on you DJ, I totally agree.  AB has the kind of money that buys any diagnosis he wants, and I'm glad he didn't go that way.

Good on you DJ, I totally agree.  AB has the kind of money that buys any diagnosis he wants, and I'm glad he didn't go that way.
I was diagnosed in 2010 about 5 months before my pop-pop died. I've gone out of my way to read and research on my diagnosis and finding others athletes and such who also have it. To not get too political This girl Greta who's fighting for Climate change is autistic too. We develop interest in certain passions at a young age and will usually become so called "experts" or very knowledgeable on said topic. SO it really aggravates me when people say her parents are using her, she shouldn't be around big crowds etc. People with autism all react to situations different. Some of us can't take loud noises where others like myself it's something that soothes us. My passion has always been History (American, WW2, Civil War, Ancient Greece and Rome, Crusades, Native American, Viking, etc) as well as sports. Hers is Climate change and how the earth works. Wouldn't be surprised if she becomes some sort of scientist eventually with her passion. 

Whats my point? Basically we don't let our diagnosis effect us in the long run. We adapt to our situations as best we can. Sometimes we might need to relay to people hey I have this so they can accommodate us better and work easier with us and make their job easier too. After some recent reading I thought I was terrible at math. I use to be able to do multiplecation tables in my head fast among other things. I changed schools and was given a whole need Math program where we literally had to show our work. That isn't me. When we think of stuff it just comes to us. Trying to explain how we figured out an equation or this formula "showing our work" is like you trying to read the license plate of a car going 90 on the highway compared to maybe 20 or being parked. I didn't go use my issues as a reason I was bad at math. In college I went to a community and graduated within 4 yrs. I did everything I could math wise to get better tutors, individual learn on my own pace, class room, I had a professor who had a son in Special Ed so took the extra time with me to study and figure it all out. I could go to his office and put the answers down in no time when it came to doing the actual test It went out of my head completely. Not sure how to explain it but I didn't just say well I have this its why I suck at math  

Peter King says he's seen the language in AB's contract and he will definitely not being getting his $$ however he has a case on Garanteed Signing Bonus as the League and NFL PA counts that as money already owned. Add to it the Patriots allowed him to play after the allegations and AB should get his 9M 

Patriots are going to use the incident of A Brown releasing the pictures of the Women's kids on Twitter(?)
as the reason for the release. He's not getting paid another dime. 

Patriots are going to use the incident of A Brown releasing the pictures of the Women's kids on Twitter(?)
He won’t get another dime other than his $9,000,000 signing bonus, no way the Patriots will be able to get away from that.   They took a big risk in signing AB and they will pay for it.

Teams can't just take money away.  They have a process to follow in order to void out guarantees including notifying the player and the NFLPA in writing as to what caused the voiding - that's the part that Oakland did do that sent AB over the edge with them.  NEP didn't follow those processes, they just cut him.  I said this a dozen pages or so ago, he's gonna get that money.

Teams can't just take money away.  They have a process to follow in order to void out guarantees including notifying the player and the NFLPA in writing as to what caused the voiding - that's the part that Oakland did do that sent AB over the edge with them.  NEP didn't follow those processes, they just cut him.  I said this a dozen pages or so ago, he's gonna get that money.
Kraft strikes me as the type that would spend $20 million out of spite to fight giving Brown $10 million. It wouldn’t shock me if this ended up in court. 

Kraft strikes me as the type that would spend $20 million out of spite to fight giving Brown $10 million. It wouldn’t shock me if this ended up in court. 
And the court will say, "go read the CBA and do whatever it says".
:shrug:

Might be worth it to Kraft to make AB wait 18 months for that money.

True hardball: What are the penalties if the Patriots simply default on the bonus money? Even in the face of a court order? Does the State of Massachusetts sieze team property, put a lien on something, take a rake off of gate receipts?

:shrug:

Might be worth it to Kraft to make AB wait 18 months for that money.

True hardball: What are the penalties if the Patriots simply default on the bonus money? Even in the face of a court order? Does the State of Massachusetts sieze team property, put a lien on something, take a rake off of gate receipts?
I suspect that components of the NE vs. AB situation are not spelled out chapter and verse in the CBA, and NE added atypical language to his contract that will also be subject to interpretation. That's why I suggested that NE could fight it. So sure, in more typical situations the CBA may spell out a standard process, but there have been many other quirky player issues that have come up over the years where the outcomes haven't been cut and dry.

We also don't know what other things have gone on behind the scenes. Someone earlier mentioned that the CBA requires written notice before a team can attempt to withhold bonus or guaranteed money. At this point, we don't know what NE did and when. They could have notified Rosenhaus and then released him ten minutes later. It hasn't come out either way what happened.

We also don't know what dialogue and discussions went on between NE and the league. Maybe there was some talk of how things would play out if NE played the role of good soldier and released Brown (against the desire of BB). The league wanted the AB situation to go away and the best way for that to happen was if NE released him. Now the NFL is saying they are in no rush to move the investigation along, so they essentially are getting what they wanted all along . . . Brown not playing and not getting paid with no team likely to sign him based on a threat of a lengthy stint on the exempt list. Who knows if the league indicated to the Patriots that they will be lenient in a grievance for doing the league a solid in cutting Brown.

Even if that were not the case, at this point, there are no penalties to NE for not paying Brown. They won't have to pay him any additional money other than the amount specified in the contract, as they are not even being charged interest by withholding the money. The league can also work on their investigation and come up with a plan on how best to discipline him. If they end up taking action, NE could argue that that was the likely outcome once he sent the harassing / threatening / menacing texts to the painter. The Patriots will argue he was on the outs after that, they confirmed he was the one that sent the texts, and they cut him immediately. I am also sure they will argue that the league indicated their investigation was leaning toward that outcome, which is why NE released him. (I'm not saying that will hold up, but they will likely argue that way.)

As for what potentially could happen to the Patriots in a legal battle, I don't think there would be much done to compel them to pay Brown until all of the team's appeals were exhausted . . . that includes through arbitration and the court system (which could take years). Just like Kraft has done in Florida, they could make it an extended, long-term, drawn out battle that Brown may not be able to go all 15 rounds, especially if he is not earning any money. Meanwhile, Brown would have to keep shelling out money for attorney's fees (which I do not believe NE would have to cover if they end up losing, although I am not 100% sure on that one.)

All that would happen to NE in the interim is that they would have to take a cap hit for the money in 2019 and the remainder of the cap hit for AB in 2020. Whatever they ultimately don't pay out, they can apply to have that amount added back as a salary cap credit. Maybe the Pats would just pay him the money at some point if a judgment doesn't go their way, but IMO they could try to drag it out.

I would if I could stomach him.  But he someone that just leaves a bad enough taste in my mouth that I wouldn't roster him even if he were a free gift.
That makes no sense to me but to each their own.  He's on your magical football team (or he would be on mine if someone were to gift him to me), he's not living in your house.

Of course he's a hard hold in dynasty, no one should be cutting him or giving him away.

That makes no sense to me but to each their own.  He's on your magical football team (or he would be on mine if someone were to gift him to me), he's not living in your house.

Of course he's a hard hold in dynasty, no one should be cutting him or giving him away.
Was offered Pettis for him, I rejected.

I cut Brown in dynasty 1.5 weeks ago, but it's a Keep 13 league, so can't "waste" a roster spot on many/any players.

That said, he was claimed for $300 FAAB by another owner at the next possible waiver claim, with 2 other lower offers.

I was also hampered by the fact that my team has MGordon, Guice, Hunt, Gallup and now Ross and Adams all dinged up and using way more roster spots than my 2 IR slots allowed. So that was definitely a contributing factor in me needing the space now to try to compete.

I cut Brown in dynasty 1.5 weeks ago, but it's a Keep 13 league, so can't "waste" a roster spot on many/any players.

That said, he was claimed for $300 FAAB by another owner at the next possible waiver claim, with 2 other lower offers.

I was also hampered by the fact that my team has MGordon, Guice, Hunt, Gallup and now Ross and Adams all dinged up and using way more roster spots than my 2 IR slots allowed. So that was definitely a contributing factor in me needing the space now to try to compete.
What's your record?

What's your record?
2-2 and in 6th place out of 12. I have Goff/Rodgers, Gurley/MBrown, BCooks...what was once a run-away-with-the-title team the past 2 years has turned into a bunch of studs with question marks, suspensions or injuries.  I also have rookies like Sanders, JJAW, DHenderson on my bench.

In retrospect, I could've/should've kept ABrown and dumped end-of-bench insurance like Mostert or Burkhead, but the need for heatlhy and active depth, plus the fact that I'm a Raiders fan who was burned "personally" by ABrown, I thought I'd just cut bait and let him be someone else's problem. If another owner gets a few games or a year of a stud WR, I guess that's on me.

(sorry for all the details on my roster but hopefully gives context to the types of real moves and decisions we are all faced with)

2-2 and in 6th place out of 12. I have Goff/Rodgers, Gurley/MBrown, BCooks...what was once a run-away-with-the-title team the past 2 years has turned into a bunch of studs with question marks, suspensions or injuries.  I also have rookies like Sanders, JJAW, DHenderson on my bench.

In retrospect, I could've/should've kept ABrown and dumped end-of-bench insurance like Mostert or Burkhead, but the need for heatlhy and active depth, plus the fact that I'm a Raiders fan who was burned "personally" by ABrown, I thought I'd just cut bait and let him be someone else's problem. If another owner gets a few games or a year of a stud WR, I guess that's on me.

(sorry for all the details on my roster but hopefully gives context to the types of real moves and decisions we are all faced with)
you would think someone would have traded something better than say rex burkhead for him (being that's what you basically did)?  If nothing else you could have traded him for 300 blind bidding dollars from the sounds of it.      I might have to send out some lowball offers and test this out.

I cut him without any regrets. He's so far from playing anytime soon. No willing traders in my league. He'll be 31 or 32 if (big if) he does play soon and he's escalating his off putting behavior that eill get him suspended.  He takes up a roster spot that can be used to find the next diamond in the rough.  All of it was my clear sign that his run is over and it's time to move on. 

you would think someone would have traded something better than say rex burkhead for him (being that's what you basically did)?  If nothing else you could have traded him for 300 blind bidding dollars from the sounds of it.      I might have to send out some lowball offers and test this out.
didn't search for low ball offers. Probably should have. Not the most active league for trading, though not a barren wasteland. Definitely should have at least tried.

And this league can't trade FAAB $, so that was off the table. I was personally shocked someone spent $300/$1000 FAAB on his. (next best offer was $150, which is more in the realm of what I expected).

All that said...I probably should have kept him.

Also adding...stupid Rex Burkhead. What was I thinking ;)

Final word: I'm still glad he's on ZERO of my dynasty teams.

Is a “prof reader” a professor to read his paper?  Or perhaps a professional reader (like, a guy who does audio books I guess)?

Or perhaps he just needs somebody to proofread his tweets.

(Tempted to offer my services and global-replace every letter with an A or a B.  That’s what he said he wanted, after all!

Is a “prof reader” a professor to read his paper?  Or perhaps a professional reader (like, a guy who does audio books I guess)?

(Tempted to offer my services and global-replace every letter with an A or a B.  That’s what he said he wanted, after all!
Interesting that someone taking an English course can't quite muster English but I took it to mean that he wanted his essay proof read before midnight to ensure it is an A or B level paper (grade wise).

Antonio Brown as Thornton Mellon?

"And another thing, Vonnegut -- I'm gonna stop payment on the check!"

Users who are viewing this thread