Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Casting Couch

Antonio Brown - Out of his Head - Out of the League

On 10/9/2019 at 12:03 PM, Mongidig said:

In three of my leagues AB was dropped and in all three he was picked up last week. All spent 10% FAAB on him. Is there something I don't know?

That you’re in 3 leagues with the same guy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capella said:

These teams don’t care about this if he can help them win. They probably don’t care about the sexual assault either but fortunately the nfl will. 

I don't think the NFL wants to see him with a team again this year. I have a feeling this investigation is gonna last longer than it should. 

I think at this point there would be too much public backlash if a team signed him. I wouldn't want him on my Broncos and would shun them for sure if they did.

If it wasn't for his stupid tweets about Kraft and dumb instagram posts I'd say the Patriots might take him back if he was cleared. They could use him.

23 minutes ago, IHEARTFF said:

That you’re in 3 leagues with the same guy?

That is possible.

7 hours ago, Mongidig said:

If it wasn't for his stupid tweets about Kraft and dumb instagram posts I'd say the Patriots might take him back if he was cleared. They could use him.

Yep the Patriots are really struggling ;)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheWinz said:

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Antonio Brown "hopes to have his playing status cleared up" in the next few weeks.

Brown said he was done with the NFL last month but has since backed off that stance. He's been staying in shape in hopes of signing with another team. Brown is facing serious violations of the personal conduct policy, but it's not clear where the NFL is in its investigation. The odd are against Brown returning this year, but it's possible he gets a second chance when his league standing is resolved.

SOURCE: ESPN

Oct 12, 2019, 11:41 AM ET

If any team signs him, even my beloved Chargers, I hope their team implodes.  He is a locker room virus, and will only serve to infect others.  If he wants to remain in the spotlight, just marry a Kardashian. 

Cobbler1 hopes to bang Megan Fox and Kate Upton in the next few weeks as well...

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

12 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

There is a pretty significant chance that he is just a huge jerk, slowly worsening over the years.  Who knows if he has a medical issue or is just an overconfident self important dickbag.

Or both?

On 10/13/2019 at 6:58 AM, Cobbler1 said:

Cobbler1 hopes to bang Megan Fox and Kate Upton in the next few weeks as well...

You checking in from 2011?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

Just now, travdogg said:

Both still on my list in 2019, tbh. I don’t think there’s shame in either game. They’ve both aged like a fine wine. 

8 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Haha damn I’ve given away how not up with the times I am. We don’t still lust over them?

13 minutes ago, Cobbler1 said:

Haha damn I’ve given away how not up with the times I am. We don’t still lust over them?

I still want Megan Fox.   Hot and crazy is a winning combo.   

7 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

I still want Megan Fox.   Hot and crazy is a winning combo.   

Brian Austin Green is a very very lucky man.

• Like 1

I’ve enjoyed watching AB since his days battling with Emmanuel Sanders each week for the right to be active that Sunday.

Early on, I personally witnessed AB was the last player on the field at Latrobe signing autographs for fans.

AB consistently gave the football to a fan after each of his touchdowns.

He WAS a shoe into become an all time Steeler legend

Sadly, it appears he has thrown himself into a Kaepernickesk abyss by his own hand. It’s hard to see any owner signing off on bringing AB into their fold. Despite becoming the league’s village idiot and easy target for misconduct gravy trains, I’m disappointed he might never play in the NFL again. Would love to see how he does with any team outside the steelers or patriots. 

10 minutes ago, Grid71 said:

I’ve enjoyed watching AB since his days battling with Emmanuel Sanders each week for the right to be active that Sunday.

Early on, I personally witnessed AB was the last player on the field at Latrobe signing autographs for fans.

AB consistently gave the football to a fan after each of his touchdowns.

He WAS a shoe into become an all time Steeler legend

Sadly, it appears he has thrown himself into a Kaepernickesk abyss by his own hand. It’s hard to see any owner signing off on bringing AB into their fold. Despite becoming the league’s village idiot and easy target for misconduct gravy trains, I’m disappointed he might never play in the NFL again. Would love to see how he does with any team outside the steelers or patriots. 

Crazy right? I drafted him as a rookie on my dynasty squad and watched this guy develop into the most dominant WR in the league for a long time. Never heard a peep outta Pittsburgh with him until the last few years. Something really malfunctioned in the grey matter over the last several years. I really did not see this coming at all.

Shame. 

Edited by Todem

This is not ending well, nor did I ever think it would. I remember there were those in the SP who were criticizing those who stayed away from him in early drafts. How smart those people look now.

8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

This is not ending well, nor did I ever think it would. I remember there were those in the SP who were criticizing those who stayed away from him in early drafts. How smart those people look now.

I don't know ... it was kind of a 50-50 call at the time. No one really had enough information to conclude anything about where Antonio Brown would be  several months into the future.

Unless I'm missing someone, Brown's career arc this calendar year has pretty much been unprecedented. I wouldn't blame anyone who couldn't imagine back then that it was going to turn out like it has. 

EDIT: In short, I disagree with the idea that anyone knew, say, back in May or June that this outcome was positively coming.

Edited by Doug B
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

Antonio Brown ordered to retake deposition after 'profane' appearance

Maybe football head injuries have contributed to his unusual behavior. 

Some people keep invoking "head injuries, CTE, head injuries, CTE, etc. ..." I don't know if the connection is just that clear. Many other guys have had multiple concussions and repetitive subconcussive trauma to the head -- but Antonio Brown's actions seem to stand alone. Seems he would have had some predecessors if head injuries alone were enough to take a normal, everyday NFL player and turn him into 2019 Antonio Brown.

Looks more like a central component of his personality has been exposed after many years of remaining mostly under wraps.

8 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I don't know ... it was kind of a 50-50 call at the time. No one really had enough information to conclude anything about where Antonio Brown would be  several months into the future.

Unless I'm missing someone, Brown's career arc this calendar year has pretty much been unprecedented. I wouldn't blame anyone who couldn't imagine back then that it was going to turn out like it has. 

EDIT: In short, I disagree with the idea that anyone knew, say, back in May or June that this outcome was positively coming.

Yeah, totally. Nobody could say that this was certain to happen. But I didn't say that. You're correct -- nobody knew it was positively coming, but I remember some of us FFA guys (from which I dissented) pooh-poohing the notion entirely that it might. I could find those quotes, but there were enough people consciously staying away from him to illustrate the two poles of the debate. Most people took the risk under advisement and drafted accordingly. (He'd slipped a good round or two.)

Edited by rockaction
typos

And my comment was really an aside, sort of serving as a warning to be inured against arguments that off-the-field stuff never matters and that stuff like this is just a labor/CBA issue, etc. It seems to me that once the CBA and player movement gets dragged into any argument about a player, his performance suffers that year.

That's broad strokes, but I can't think of a player that hasn't had a CBA/labor argument pro- or con- where a drop off hasn't happened that particular year. 

Edited by rockaction

1 minute ago, Doug B said:

Looks more like a central component of his personality has been exposed after many years of remaining mostly under wraps.

I am very curious to know what if anything was kept under wraps by the Steelers over the years. 

The organization, Mike Tomlin and Ben were criticized for their parts in the AB departure, but honestly, it now looks to me like they almost certainly had been caring and feeding a ticking time bomb for a while at least.  Yes, I agree they enabled him in some ways, but they also got Hall of Fame numbers out of him on the field with virtually no problems for years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doug B said:

Some people keep invoking "head injuries, CTE, head injuries, CTE, etc. ..." I don't know if the connection is just that clear. Many other guys have had multiple concussions and repetitive subconcussive trauma to the head -- but Antonio Brown's actions seem to stand alone. Seems he would have had some predecessors if head injuries alone were enough to take a normal, everyday NFL player and turn him into 2019 Antonio Brown.

The connection between traumatic brain injury and the pathology of CTE, is becoming well established. The pathology includes gross changes such as atrophy, and microscopic changes such some tau proteins similar to those seen in some other neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's Disease. People like Anne McKee, the neuropathologist from BU, say they never see this pathology on postmortem exams  of such young people. 

My understanding is that more studies need to be done to definitely associate the clinical symptoms with the pathology. There are varying degrees of symptoms and pathology, and control brains of athletes without TBI are needed.

Brown could be malingering, could be symptoms of CTE, could be underlying personality. Some people develop schizophrenia later in life. 

1 hour ago, Doug B said:

I think we can pretty positively say that the Steelers knew they had a massive problem on their hands with AB and they needed to part ways with him. Maybe they didn’t anticipate this level of implosion, but they absolutely knew he was a developing train wreck. 

1 hour ago, Doug B said:

Maybe not this specific outcome but I think a significant number of people believed AB wasn't going to turn into this happy, quiet model employee with the Raiders or anyone else. I'll draft anyone at the right price but he wasn't going to be on my fantasy team this year, period.

I avoided Brown on draft day because I thought Gruden and the Raiders were going to be a trainwreck.  I figured Brown's inevitable meltdown would be out of frustration at Derek Carr.

1 minute ago, I Am the Stig said:

Is anyone stashing him through the trade deadline on the off chance a team picks him back up?

What does the trade deadline have to do with anything?

Just now, I Am the Stig said:

Is anyone stashing him through the trade deadline on the off chance a team picks him back up?

I guess if teams had lots of roster spots it might be worth a shot, but AB has yet to be interviewed by the league, there seems to be talk of Brown not exactly trying to speed the investigation along, and the outstanding threat of his placement on the exempt list should a team sign him. The league isn't rushing to get AB back, AB doesn't seem to be trying to push the league to get himself back on the field, and this week will be the 6th game he's missed with seemingly very little progress being made for him to come back.

If a desperate team can’t land a trade for a WR by the deadline then AB is there as a break glass in case of emergency signing. 

A lot obviously depends on the leagues investigation

If he was going to be signed it would likely only happen immediately after the deadline has passed. 

Edited by I Am the Stig

1 hour ago, Doug B said:

Correct. He simply grew a huge ego and has totally gone nuts. He's high on himself. There's no CTE. That would not arise this quickly.

The symptoms of CTE generally do not present until years or decades after the brain trauma occurred or after one stops actively playing contact sports. ... Post-concussion syndrome is different than CTE, and the symptoms of post-concussive syndrome usually resolve years or decades before the onset of CTE symptoms

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, I Am the Stig said:

If a desperate team can’t land a trade for a WR by the deadline then AB is there as a break glass in case of emergency signing. 

A lot obviously depends on the leagues investigation

If he was going to be signed it would likely only happen immediately after the deadline has passed. 

I really don't get what the trade deadline has to do with anything. Teams are waiting to see if AB ends up on the exempt list or gets suspended. They won't know his status or availability before the trade deadline in a few days. Teams would want Brown because he would be an upgrade at WR for every team in the league (at least on the field). Teams may elect not to pursue him for his off field antics, but there is no denying he has value based on his play.

59 minutes ago, lod001 said:

You're probably right, I also think it's a psychological issue. But he probably started playing football as a kid, so he may have had decades of exposure. 

1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

I really don't get what the trade deadline has to do with anything. Teams are waiting to see if AB ends up on the exempt list or gets suspended. They won't know his status or availability before the trade deadline in a few days. Teams would want Brown because he would be an upgrade at WR for every team in the league (at least on the field). Teams may elect not to pursue him for his off field antics, but there is no denying he has value based on his play.

As soon as he signs with a team he could ( probably would IMO) get put on the Commissioner's Exempt list where he would still get paid.   A team could try to structure a contract to deal with that but it would have to pass muster with both the league and the NFLPA.    It's probably more trouble/drama that most teams would not want to have to deal with.

1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

For WR needy teams looking for a trading partner is the clearest and cleanest path to acquire a player. Possible WR options still available and being floated are AJ Green and Robbie Anderson. If a needy team can't cut a deal then the only real option post trade deadline is AB or even Dez Bryant. 

AB has a very brief window where teams might kick the tires. Knowing his league issues any team interested in AB's services would likely get in early or not at all.  Waiting for the league decision would only drive up the price if it was favorable. 

I don't expect AB to be signed but once the trade deadline passes for teams like Green Bay and New Orleans, teams with older QB's who have a legit chance right now, we are approaching closing time and AB is the last girl in the bar. 

8 hours ago, I Am the Stig said:

For WR needy teams looking for a trading partner is the clearest and cleanest path to acquire a player. Possible WR options still available and being floated are AJ Green and Robbie Anderson. If a needy team can't cut a deal then the only real option post trade deadline is AB or even Dez Bryant. 

AB has a very brief window where teams might kick the tires. Knowing his league issues any team interested in AB's services would likely get in early or not at all.  Waiting for the league decision would only drive up the price if it was favorable. 

I don't expect AB to be signed but once the trade deadline passes for teams like Green Bay and New Orleans, teams with older QB's who have a legit chance right now, we are approaching closing time and AB is the last girl in the bar. 

I don't know how a team could get past the PR nightmare after signing Brown. There is just too much negative info out there on him now with sexual assault leading the way. He needs to go away and get some distance between his recent actions. Obviously if he is found guilty of the assault he is done. 

9 hours ago, I Am the Stig said:

No team has Robbie Anderson as Plan A, and Antonio Brown as Plan B.  C'mon now.

There are numerous reasons why no team has stepped up to sign AB (he's suspended, he's bailed on two teams in a year, he's nuts, etc).  

None of those will be any different after the TDL passes.

17 hours ago, I Am the Stig said:

Dez Bryant :lol:, I can't believe people are holding this guy. 

I doubt AB signs for cheap, and a team like GB or NO either doesnt have the cap space or has other uses for that cap by rolling it over to 2020

There are only 17 people who actually want AB to play again this year - the 17 remaining owners of the subscriber contest

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Antonio Brown is "in a standoff" with the league over his playing status.

Brown said earlier this month he hoped to have his status cleared up "in a few weeks." He's expected to interview with the league at some point, but there hasn't been any movement on that front. Brown could get a second chance when his off-field situation is resolved. The odds remain against him returning this year.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Oct 26, 2019, 11:02 AM ET

Honestly wouldn't mind for this thread to die and sink to the back pages.

AB is not worth the attention, nor is he relevant enough for us to be continually talking about him.

Could he make a comeback? Sure -- I pity the team that has to put up with him at this point given that his true colors couldn't be standing out clearer.

But let's talk about the guy when that happens, not if. He's an affront to professional athletes, with a stress on the word "professional."

• Like 1

Kraft is a jerk that is why Brown isn't in the NFL.  He forced AB out when BB and Brady didn't want him pushed out because he didn't want to pay him the money when he heard about the allegations which is pretty stupid considering of all people Kraft who has what is going with him to be the moral officer.

Brown should 100% be in the NFL right now the NFL is dragging their feet on purpose on this and it's keeping him out.  Nothing like the whole guilty before proven innocent in the NFL.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheWinz said:

There are only 17 people who actually want AB to play again this year - the 17 remaining owners of the subscriber contest

Oh the person that has him in 25 fantasy leagues.  I rather win $250K then win subscriber contest.

Edited by Dez
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

Dez Bryant :lol:, I can't believe people are holding this guy. 

I doubt AB signs for cheap, and a team like GB or NO either doesnt have the cap space or has other uses for that cap by rolling it over to 2020

Who said anyone was holding Dez Bryant?

8 hours ago, Dez said:

Kraft is a jerk that is why Brown isn't in the NFL.  He forced AB out when BB and Brady didn't want him pushed out because he didn't want to pay him the money when he heard about the allegations which is pretty stupid considering of all people Kraft who has what is going with him to be the moral officer.

Brown should 100% be in the NFL right now the NFL is dragging their feet on purpose on this and it's keeping him out.  Nothing like the whole guilty before proven innocent in the NFL.

I don't feel sorry for Brown.   He got to NE by screwing over Oakland.   I hope he never plays in the NFL again.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dez said:

The NFL is dragging their feet because Brown is bad for the NFL. He dug his own grave.

Kraft at least paid for his services so I would hardly compare him to a probable rapist.

9 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Honestly wouldn't mind for this thread to die and sink to the back pages.

AB is not worth the attention, nor is he relevant enough for us to be continually talking about him.

Could he make a comeback? Sure -- I pity the team that has to put up with him at this point given that his true colors couldn't be standing out clearer.

But let's talk about the guy when that happens, not if. He's an affront to professional athletes, with a stress on the word "professional."

As long as nobody is saying anything nice about him I'm all for this thread.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:59 PM, moondog said:

As soon as he signs with a team he could ( probably would IMO) get put on the Commissioner's Exempt list where he would still get paid.   A team could try to structure a contract to deal with that but it would have to pass muster with both the league and the NFLPA.    It's probably more trouble/drama that most teams would not want to have to deal with.

Of all the troubles AB brings, contract structure is way, way down on that list.