What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (5 Viewers)

My choice to continue rostering this guy in a dynasty is looking worse and worse.  Any legit chance he plays again in 2020?
He could be back but I'm starting to get the OJ vibe with him. He needs to go away for a few months and get some separation from this nonsense. 

I'm looking forward to Super Bowl party week.  I foresee this guy working media row, trying for whatever interviews he can get, and screwing them up mightily as Rosenhaus frantically scurries around trying to put out fires.  I also foresee an arrest in his future that week.  Probably for abusing a waitress while he is intoxicated and trying to dodge out on a bill or maybe a fight in a strip club as he and his crew are keeping it real after he was disrespected by some other patron.  Should be a hoot, particularly the mug shot.

American Ninja Warrior?  Survivor?  Ultimate Baking Championship?  Naked and Afraid?  What's in store next for our old buddy AB

American Ninja Warrior?  Survivor?  Ultimate Baking Championship?  Naked and Afraid?  What's in store next for our old buddy AB
Could be the first Naked and Afraid where the venue is not some jungle or wilderness but the interior of a Miami mansion and the greatest danger not crocs, malaria, or poisonous snakes but angry artists and chefs trying to collect their bills.  I'd watch.

I'm looking forward to Super Bowl party week.  I foresee this guy working media row, trying for whatever interviews he can get, and screwing them up mightily as Rosenhaus frantically scurries around trying to put out fires.  I also foresee an arrest in his future that week.  Probably for abusing a waitress while he is intoxicated and trying to dodge out on a bill or maybe a fight in a strip club as he and his crew are keeping it real after he was disrespected by some other patron.  Should be a hoot, particularly the mug shot.
Something is gonna happen. He has set himself up to be trolled everywhere he goes. Combine this with his anger management issues and lack of emotional intelligence it's not gonna be good. This is why he should go away for a while.

I very much doubt the NFL would view the last couple months as a "de facto suspension".  When you're suspended, you have to miss games you otherwise would have been playing in.

Being unsigned/unwanted is not the same thing as being suspended.
This actually isn't true at all.  Players that are suspended while unsigned have those games count for their suspensions.  The suspension isn't about preventing them from playing in a game, it's about making sure they aren't eligible for playing in the next X games.  The NFLPA had a field day on this a few years ago because guys with pending suspensions were getting no contact from teams so it ended up being a double-penalty.

I do agree with the first sentence.  What AB does in the interim won't affect their punishment.  The moment the NFL has all the info they think they need/are going to get they will announce what their response is - and if that's 8 games, they will start counting from the moment they announce it.  If he's signed he'll start missing games and if he's not he'll be ineligible to get into games in the event someone signs him during the suspension.

Watched it.  Didn't seem that big a deal.  Domestic dispute.  Nothing that would keep him out of the league.  Police were allowing the mother to enter a private community without permission.  AB disagreed that she had the right to enter without notice apparently.   Sounds like a matter for the court.  He may have had every right to be upset.  I sure don't know.  

Here is one thing I can tell you - AB is not the person you may think he is.  In real life, here in south Florida, he is known to be a humble, respectful and pretty straight forward person.  Gruden had it right.   

Hairy Snowman said:
Watched it.  Didn't seem that big a deal.  Domestic dispute.  Nothing that would keep him out of the league.  Police were allowing the mother to enter a private community without permission.  AB disagreed that she had the right to enter without notice apparently.   Sounds like a matter for the court.  He may have had every right to be upset.  I sure don't know.  

Here is one thing I can tell you - AB is not the person you may think he is.  In real life, here in south Florida, he is known to be a humble, respectful and pretty straight forward person.  Gruden had it right.   
We know him pretty well in Pittsburgh and here he is known as a selfish punk and his actions over the past 2 years back that up.

Hairy Snowman said:
He may have been a good person in the past but I don't think anyone could think that now.   

According to Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman, many around the league believe AB will be suspended for “for at least six games," while others believe the punishment could span an entire season.

LINK

every time I see this thread pop up, I get a little smile on my face.  AB is pure entertainment (just not for the guy that has him in my dynasty league).

Rig24 said:
every time I see this thread pop up, I get a little smile on my face.  AB is pure entertainment (just not for the guy that has him in my dynasty league).
His insta is fun to look at everyday imo.  He’s not even playing football his days look entertaining as hell, it will never last for him though.  

cant wait to see the rap video he is making lol

Every time this thread gets bumped ... I think of that Fastball song:

AB is out of his head and now he's out of the league
How could he have ever been so blind?
He was waiting for a situation, it was hard to find
Don't matter what he say, no matter what he do
He never meant to end up playin' the fool
Never quiet and he couldn't shut up
Now he's sad and it's time he gave up, too

And Big Ben is celebrated but outside of Pittsburgh he’s know as a rapist :shrug:  
You can believe whatever you want regarding Roethlisberger but he isn’t the topic of this thread.

AB’s behavior over the last 2 years pretty much shows what kind of a guy he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time this thread gets bumped ... I think of that Fastball song:

AB is out of his head and now he's out of the league
How could he have ever been so blind?
He was waiting for a situation, it was hard to find
Don't matter what he say, no matter what he do
He never meant to end up playin' the fool
Never quiet and he couldn't shut up
Now he's sad and it's time he gave up, too
:sadbanana:

Another fan theory:

Goodell would punitively block (via summary suspension) the Saints from playing AB, but would allow any other NFC team to use him in the playoffs. Therefore, the Saints potentially signing AB is nothing more than a game of keep-away.

This is absolutely ####### nuts.

What the #### does AB have to do that he hasn't already done before teams ignore him? Kneel in protest during the national anthem??? Oops, he can't even do that because he can't step on a field since he's suspended!!!

Rotoworld take:

Free agent WR Antonio Brown will visit the Saints on Friday.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Saints are doing their "due diligence" on Brown, who has been out of the league since his release from New England earlier this year. Talent has never been the issue for AB, though teams have been reluctant to take on his considerable off-field baggage. Brown's penchant for lashing out on Twitter has not helped his cause, though apparently the troubled wideout has piqued New Orleans' interest. The Saints have taken on high-maintenance players before including Janoris Jenkins, who the Giants let go after showing little remorse for using hurtful language on social media. It's unclear if Brown would be subject to the commissioner's exempt list—the league is still investigating his alleged sexual misconduct—but if given the green light, he and Michael Thomas would form a tantalizing 1-2 punch in the Big Easy.

RELATED: 

New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 27, 2019, 9:07 AM ET

I love that comparison to Janoris Jenkins :rolleyes:   Like Jenkins and Brown are even in the same league with bad behavior.

What the #### does AB have to do that he hasn't already done before teams ignore him? Kneel in protest during the national anthem??? Oops, he can't even do that because he can't step on a field since he's suspended!!!
Being the best WR of your generation, buys a lot of latitude. If he's cleared to play, somebody should sign him. 

I personally think the Saints are the best team in the NFL, adding Brown could make that offense unstoppable, and they are as strong of a locker room as there is in football. 

Its a no risk, high reward scenario. Worst case, he does something that upsets Payton/Brees, and then they just turn around and cut him again. I don't think that would hurt them chemistry wise, as everybody is 100% led by Brees. Brown(or anybody really) isn't a strong enough personality to disrupt that.

Best case, they have the best 1-2 punch at WR in the NFL, and even if Brown has a limited playbook, he's still a big enough threat to defenses, that if opens up a lot more space  for guys like Cook and Kamara, not to mention Brown would likely see the least coverage he's since since like 2012, as team are still going to treat Thomas as the guy to stop. 

A LOT of locals are blowing up WWL Radio going off negatively on the Saints about this potential news. Your take has a lot of company in New Orleans. Big worries about AB's (potentially?) bad locker room presence, which the Saints just went through around 2014-15 (Jimmy Graham, Kenny Stills, Brandon Browner, Junior Gallette, etc.).

Being the best WR of your generation, buys a lot of latitude. If he's cleared to play, somebody should sign him. 

I personally think the Saints are the best team in the NFL, adding Brown could make that offense unstoppable, and they are as strong of a locker room as there is in football. 

Its a no risk, high reward scenario. Worst case, he does something that upsets Payton/Brees, and then they just turn around and cut him again. I don't think that would hurt them chemistry wise, as everybody is 100% led by Brees. Brown(or anybody really) isn't a strong enough personality to disrupt that.

Best case, they have the best 1-2 punch at WR in the NFL, and even if Brown has a limited playbook, he's still a big enough threat to defenses, that if opens up a lot more space  for guys like Cook and Kamara, not to mention Brown would likely see the least coverage he's since since like 2012, as team are still going to treat Thomas as the guy to stop. 
There is a zero percent chance he’s allowed to play this season. 

He is also the guy that could destroy that team from reaching the super bowl with his antics.

Him signing maybe be the straw to make me be completely done with the NFL.

Doesn't seem to happening with the Saints just yet ... though the door also doesn't seem to be closed, either.

Also at that link:

Mike Triplett
@MikeTriplett

Sean Payton said the Saints would need to get clarity from the league on whether Antonio Brown would be eligible to play this postseason if they signed him. Said for now they’re doing their due diligence and he was one of six receivers they auditioned.

1,582 - 1:54 PM - Dec 27, 2019

I could give you the same update today I would have given you about 3 months ago.

No team will sign him until the NFL investigation is over because no team wants to sign someone to be a giant distraction  AND be forced to pay them while they sit on the exempt list doing them zero good.

When the NFL investigation is over he'll find a new home and only way on earth he won't sign with a team at this point is if he chooses to not play because the contract does not meet what he thinks is in line with his value.

I'm legit surprised people actually still think the only reason is not in the NFL is because no one wants him. Wake up people, that's not what is going on here. He certainly lowered the interest in him and some teams don't want him but the only thing that has keep him unemployed is the people at 345 Park Avenue don't want him coming back until 2020.

I like Brees and the Saints and would root for them in the NFC (I’m a Raiders fan, so I have no allegiances in the NFC) but if they sign AB and he actually plays, I hope for an implosion and an early exit from the playoffs for the saints. 
yes, literally rooting against him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I'll be done with the NFL but will have difficulty rooting for him, no matter where he goes. He's squarely in my higher esteem than Aaron Hernandez and Rae Carruth by a lot, though. The spectacle of his personage is annoying, even sickening, but let's not forget human horrors like that and say this is the tipping point.

And really, is he worse than Roethlisberger, who was almost charged criminally with rape? I don't think so. 

Users who are viewing this thread