What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (5 Viewers)

Do you honestly believe they were ever remotely considering signing him?
IF Payton’s nemesis Roger Goodell would’ve said “AB is clear to play” ... the Saints would’ve insta-signed Brown for the playoff run. Not only did Payton pretty much say this directly, there was no reason to work out Brown if the team truly would never sign him.

I have seen the theory that Payton was trolling Goodell the whole time :shrug:  

Not sure exactly when they announce it, but do you all think Brown will make the NFL All-Decade team?  A year ago, he would have been a lock to be on the first tean, but after the events of the last year, I could see him being only second team or left off altogether. 

Not sure exactly when they announce it, but do you all think Brown will make the NFL All-Decade team?  A year ago, he would have been a lock to be on the first tean, but after the events of the last year, I could see him being only second team or left off altogether. 
 I don't pay a lot of attention to All-Decade type stuff but if first team is two WR's it's valid, even without taking into account the off field issues, to leave him off the first team in favor or Julio and Fitz. If he had played this year he likely would have severely outdistanced himself from those two statistically but as is their total production was similar and considering the baggage I'd assume those are you first team All Decade WR's if first team is 2 WR's.

However I don't think he'd be left off a second team if it's WR's 3-4. A real clear gap exists between the two aforementioned WR's and AB in terms of production from 2010-19. Such a gap I just don't think he'd be left off.

I don't pay a lot of attention to All-Decade type stuff but if first team is two WR's it's valid, even without taking into account the off field issues, to leave him off the first team in favor or Julio and Fitz. If he had played this year he likely would have severely outdistanced himself from those two statistically but as is their total production was similar and considering the baggage I'd assume those are you first team All Decade WR's if first team is 2 WR's.

However I don't think he'd be left off a second team if it's WR's 3-4. A real clear gap exists between the two aforementioned WR's and AB in terms of production from 2010-19. Such a gap I just don't think he'd be left off.
Hard to say.  I would think Julio is a stone cold lock for the 1st team.  The other WR, if it is not Brown, would likely be Calvin Johnson or maybe Fitz, with one of those two making 2nd team and then maybe Brown makes the 2nd or DeAndre Hopkins sneaks into that other spot.  I'd give AJ Green an outside shot as well. 

I will predict Julio and Megatron make the 1st team, and then Fitz and A. Brown make the 2nd. 

Last edited by a moderator:
His future is out there for him to see.  Just look at Joe Horn, Ochocinco, T.O.   He will fade away.  All his histrionics and attempts to build a lasting brand will amount to him fading from memory, to be mentioned only in "Oh what might have been". 

Most yards from 2010-2019:

1. Julio Jones (12,125)
2. Antonio Brown (11,263)
3. Larry Fitzgerald (10,016)
4. Demaryius Thomas (9763)
5. A.J. Green (8907)

Most receptions, 2010-2019:

1. Larry Fitzgerald (855)
2. Antonio Brown (841)
3. Julio Jones (797)
4. Demaryius Thomas (724)
5. Golden Tate (660)

Most TDs, 2010-2019:

1. Antonio Brown (75)
2. Dez Bryant (73)
3. Jordy Nelson (68)
4. Demaryius Thomas (63)
5. A.J. Green (63)

Receiving yards per game, 2010-2019:

1. Julio Jones (96.2)
2. Calvin Johnson (95.0)
3. Michael Thomas (87.5)
4. Odell Beckham (86.8)
5. Antonio Brown (86.0)

Catch % (for receivers with at least 600 receptions in the decade):

1. Golden Tate (66.7%)
2. Antonio Brown (65.5%)
3. Julio Jones (63.7%)
4. Emmanuel Sanders (61.2%)
5. Larry Fitzgerald (61.2%)

Yards per reception (for receivers with at least 600 receptions in the decade):

1. Julio Jones (15.21)
2. A.J. Green (14.80)
3. DeAndre Hopkins (13.61)
4. Demaryius Thomas (13.48)
5. Antonio Brown (13.39)

Brown is the only WR in the top-5 in every category, and he's the only WR in the top-2 in 4 categories. 

1. Julio Jones (12,125)
5. A.J. Green (8907)

2. Antonio Brown (841)
3. Julio Jones (797)
5. Golden Tate (660)

Most TDs, 2010-2019:

1. Antonio Brown (75)
2. Dez Bryant (73)
3. Jordy Nelson (68)
4. Demaryius Thomas (63)
5. A.J. Green (63)

1. Julio Jones (96.2)
2. Calvin Johnson (95.0)
3. Michael Thomas (87.5)
4. Odell Beckham (86.8)
5. Antonio Brown (86.0)

1. Golden Tate (66.7%)
2. Antonio Brown (65.5%)
3. Julio Jones (63.7%)

1. Julio Jones (15.21)
2. A.J. Green (14.80)
5. Antonio Brown (13.39)

Brown is the only WR in the top-5 in every category, and he's the only WR in the top-2 in 4 categories. 
Does anyone questions the player he was...

1. Julio Jones (12,125)
5. A.J. Green (8907)

2. Antonio Brown (841)
3. Julio Jones (797)
5. Golden Tate (660)

Most TDs, 2010-2019:

1. Antonio Brown (75)
2. Dez Bryant (73)
3. Jordy Nelson (68)
4. Demaryius Thomas (63)
5. A.J. Green (63)

1. Julio Jones (96.2)
2. Calvin Johnson (95.0)
3. Michael Thomas (87.5)
4. Odell Beckham (86.8)
5. Antonio Brown (86.0)

1. Golden Tate (66.7%)
2. Antonio Brown (65.5%)
3. Julio Jones (63.7%)

1. Julio Jones (15.21)
2. A.J. Green (14.80)
5. Antonio Brown (13.39)

He’s a lock. I doubt they black ball him, but they may mention he lost his mind if there’s a show about it on NFL network. 

but numbers don’t lie - dude balled out. 

His future is out there for him to see.  Just look at Joe Horn, Ochocinco, T.O.   He will fade away.  All his histrionics and attempts to build a lasting brand will amount to him fading

from memory, to be mentioned only in "Oh what might have been". 
I get what you are trying to say, but Terrell Owens absolutely has a lasting brand and is highly remembered, and he's rightfully in the HOF. I think Brown is closer to Owens than Johnson, or especially Horn.

Hard to say.  I would think Julio is a stone cold lock for the 1st team.  The other WR, if it is not Brown, would likely be Calvin Johnson or maybe Fitz, with one of those two making 2nd team and then maybe Brown makes the 2nd or DeAndre Hopkins sneaks into that other spot.  I'd give AJ Green an outside shot as well. 

I will predict Julio and Megatron make the 1st team, and then Fitz and A. Brown make the 2nd. 
Fitzgerald making the team would be a joke. 4 of his 5 best seasons didn't happen this decade. 

My 1st team would be Brown and either Calvin or Julio. I think Calvin was better than Julio, but Julio has 3 more seasons in this decade, so its really kind of a toss up to me.

2nd team would be either Calvin or Julio, and Hopkins. I can see a case for AJ Green, but I don't think his high end play is quite as high as the other, even if he has bigger numbers than Hopkins/Calvin for the decade.

I get what you are trying to say, but Terrell Owens absolutely has a lasting brand and is highly remembered, and he's rightfully in the HOF. I think Brown is closer to Owens than Johnson, or especially Horn.

Fitzgerald making the team would be a joke. 4 of his 5 best seasons didn't happen this decade. 

My 1st team would be Brown and either Calvin or Julio. I think Calvin was better than Julio, but Julio has 3 more seasons in this decade, so its really kind of a toss up to me.

2nd team would be either Calvin or Julio, and Hopkins. I can see a case for AJ Green, but I don't think his high end play is quite as high as the other, even if he has bigger numbers than Hopkins/Calvin for the decade.
Is Owens brand a profitable brand?  I don't know, maybe it is.  I just don't see him on commercials or T.V. but maybe he has a post football life of which I am unaware. Is he marketing his own brand of driveway exercise equipment?

Brown and Larry Fitz for top two of the decade.

Julio just doesn’t have the TDs nor as much impact for a perennial winning team as compared to Brown.

Megatron hasn’t played in the past couple years already. It’s not most dominate player in their prime, it’s production over the decade. 

Yeah, it would be a joke for the guy with the most receptions and third most yards in the decade to make the All Decade Team.
Joke was a bit of hyberbole, but in all seriousness, there are a lot of empty calories in there. He's one of only a couple guys to play all 10 seasons of the decade. He's stayed very healthy, only missing 2 games in the decade. That allows counting stats like catches and yards to compile, because he's playing more games. He played almost 2 full seasons more than any other WR. Only Demaryius Thomas, Michael Crabtree, and Julio Jones are within 32 games played of Fitzgerald. 

There are plenty of WR's who were better than Fitz this decade, but they played far fewer games. Fitzgerald is outside of the top-30 in YPG this decade. I'm not saying that means he's not a top-30 WR by any means, but I would absolutely not have him in my top-5, and top-10 is debatable. 

If a person is putting Fitz on the all decade team over Brown, than that is 100% based on off field stuff. On the field, Brown has been miles ahead of Fitz for 75% of the decade. 

Don't underestimate a recency bias when it comes to the voters and the All-Decade team.  As big a fan as I am of John Elway, he was probably the 3rd best QB of the 90's (behind Steve Young and Brett Favre), yet was the 1st team QB on the 90's All-Decade team, I am sure in large part because of his two Super Bowl wins following the '97 and '98 seasons. 

I can’t believe the disrespect you guys have towards Fitz. I’m not sure there’s ever been a guy who has better hands than Fitz. He played with absolute bums at QB and when he didn’t he was elite. 

Jerry Rice

Randy Moss

Fitz. 

All time, imo. 

I can’t believe the disrespect you guys have towards Fitz. I’m not sure there’s ever been a guy who has better hands than Fitz. He played with absolute bums at QB and when he didn’t he was elite. 

Jerry Rice

Randy Moss

Fitz. 

All time, imo. 
Just curious if you consider Kurt Warner an "absolute bum," seeing how he played with Fitz for 5 seasons. He also played 4-5 years with Carson Palmer. While he wasn't Warner, he was far from terrible. In Palmer's first three years in ARI, the Cards went 29-9. IMO, that's 10 years with a HOF QB and a guy that was a Pro Bowler in Arizona. Yes, the rest of Fitzgerald's QB's were trash. But he had 8-10 seasons with decent QB's to work with.

Just curious if you consider Kurt Warner an "absolute bum," seeing how he played with Fitz for 5 seasons. He also played 4-5 years with Carson Palmer. While he wasn't Warner, he was far from terrible. In Palmer's first three years in ARI, the Cards went 29-9. IMO, that's 10 years with a HOF QB and a guy that was a Pro Bowler in Arizona. Yes, the rest of Fitzgerald's QB's were trash. But he had 8-10 seasons with decent QB's to work with.

Jerry Rice

Randy Moss

Fitz. 

All time, imo. 

I meant to mention Warner by name but eluded to him. I like Warner very much. I was never a Palmer fan.

I meant to mention Warner by name but eluded to him. I like Warner very much. I was never a Palmer fan.
I don't really have a ton bad to say about Fitz, but IMO he's a little overrated.

PLAYER X: 5.3 receptions, 69.3 YFS, 0.41 TD per game
PLAYER Y: 5.5 receptions, 68.6 YFS, 0.48 TD per game

Those are the per game averages for Fitzgerald and another player. Player X is Anquan Boldin. Player Y is Fitzgerald. Both had the benefit of playing with Warner for a while . . . but like Fitz, Boldin moved on to guys equally not great at throwing the football in terms of putting up muted numbers (Flacco, Kaepernick, and Gabbert).

Fitzgerald's career has lasted longer than Boldin's did . . . but there is very little difference in their regular season per game totals. Does anyone consider Boldin an all time great receiver?

Anarchy99 said:
I don't really have a ton bad to say about Fitz, but IMO he's a little overrated.

Those are the per game averages for Fitzgerald and another player. Player X is Anquan Boldin. Player Y is Fitzgerald. Both had the benefit of playing with Warner for a while . . . but like Fitz, Boldin moved on to guys equally not great at throwing the football in terms of putting up muted numbers (Flacco, Kaepernick, and Gabbert).

Fitzgerald's career has lasted longer than Boldin's did . . . but there is very little difference in their regular season per game totals. Does anyone consider Boldin an all time great receiver?
I would consider and Anquan Bolden to be an almost all time great receiver. Dude was was a monster and was an important cog for a championship winning Baltimore Ravens team if I’m not mistaken. Which I could be.

Anarchy99 said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of Fitz being overrated.. It’s a matter of Boldin being underrated.

I do think Boldin is an all-time great.

I don't like all of this Fitz and Boldin talk.   Let's get back to the wacky world of Mr. Big Chest.

I am guessing there will be a market for him next season.  Which team(s) do you think would sign him?   I am assuming Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Las Vegas are not interested.  Probably not New Orleans either.

I don’t think it’s a matter of Fitz being overrated.. It’s a matter of Boldin being underrated.

I do think Boldin is an all-time great.
I've prob got him in the 10 to 15 range, somewhere with guys like Steve Smith and Chris Carter, similar neighborhood to Fitz.

Highly underrated guy, HOF deserving IMO. 

In 15 playoff games he went 70/1057/8...  In 2 Super Bowls he went for 14/188/1. His regular season stats are also excellent 1,076/13,779/82. Guy was a monster. 

I've prob got him in the 10 to 15 range, somewhere with guys like Steve Smith and Chris Carter, similar neighborhood to Fitz.

Highly underrated guy, HOF deserving IMO. 

In 15 playoff games he went 70/1057/8...  In 2 Super Bowls he went for 14/188/1. His regular season stats are also excellent 1,076/13,779/82. Guy was a monster. 
Just as a FYI . . .

PFR added a HOF Monitor scoring system to try to evaluate a player's HOF credentials. (Yes, it is not a perfect tool and has some flaws.)

For WR's already inducted, the average HOF score is 98.

Of the guys you mentioned . . .

Cris Carter 110.92
Larry Fitzgerald 100.29
Steve Smith 85.36
Anquan Boldin 68.85
Antonio Brown 67.72 (since the thread is on him)

LINK

IMO, even the evaluation tool has Boldin and Fitzgerald pretty far apart . . . while their numbers really were pretty similar. Fitz has played in 48 more regular season games than Boldin. Fitzgerald had a strong season in 2017, but were the past two years worth of numbers all that great for LG (69-734-6 and 75-804-4)? It just seems like his HOF score is way higher than Boldin's is.

I am guessing there will be a market for him next season.  Which team(s) do you think would sign him?   I am assuming Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Las Vegas are not interested.  Probably not New Orleans either.
Sean Payton would be happy to have AB on board IF the league cleared him and the team knew he could play from Day 1. While AB is in limbo, though, the Saints won't approach him.

Sean Payton would be happy to have AB on board IF the league cleared him and the team knew he could play from Day 1. While AB is in limbo, though, the Saints won't approach him.
Why would any team with a solid core bring him in? The distraction, attitude, and complete lack of self-awareness would keep me from bringing him in.

He'll sign with Cleveland, it's a match made in heaven. Think about the PPV money for the fight to the death between OBJ, Landry, Baker, & AB. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Rosenhaus and some  national reports have referenced during the season  that 3 teams in particular were interested in signing him, with the holdup being the league. I think we got a good handle of two of those teams. Seattle and New Orleans so no I would not list them as being out on him. Those are reasonable places to start. I don't know the third team but speculate it was desperate for WR need Philly. With a full offseason it's possible those teams procure WR help in another way but then some teams will lose WR's so new teams other then the 3 this year should have some level of interest in him but these seem list most logical places to speculate.

I have long contended and continue to contend the only reason he could not get back this year was the league. Interest in him has understandably dwindled but teams still wanted him, if they did not think they'd be signing him only to pay while he sat on the exempt list he'd have been signed. Now next year, assuming he is in the clear to return by the league, I think he might have a hard time both finding a team that wants him that will also pay him what he thinks he's worth. He balked when Oakland took away his guarantees, but I think that's his likely new reality. Low guarantees, incentive laden and even then incentives that can't reach what someone like Julio is getting paid. Anyone with common sense knows he really has no choice to accept this kind of offer if/when it comes but he might struggle with this and blow and opportunity that comes his way.

I know it’s inappropriate to suggest mental disorders but I don’t know how you can’t see his actions and at least identify him as a megalomaniac.

Users who are viewing this thread