Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Casting Couch

Antonio Brown - Out of his Head - Out of the League

If it is a 2019 draft pick I see them getting a high to mid range 3rd.  If it is 2020 then I see them getting a 2nd.  I can't see him fetching more than that, and that seems like best case scenario at this point.

1 hour ago, Foosball God said:

If it is a 2019 draft pick I see them getting a high to mid range 3rd.  If it is 2020 then I see them getting a 2nd.  I can't see him fetching more than that, and that seems like best case scenario at this point.

i dont think they get that much

We know that there is some off the field risk, but he has consistently been the top performing WR for the past 5 years with no signs of slowing down physically.  His salary cap hit to his new team will be in the $12M range next year.  If I'm one of the teams who has a hard time attracting top talent via free agency, I offer a high second and don't think twice about it.

All it takes is one and people seem to forget that the NFL draft is far from an exact science.  You know what you are going to get with Antonio Brown(good and bad).

• Like 1

Im not sure if Brown or the Steelers ends up looking worse at the end of all this. Probably the Steelers given its their second star that is publicly demanding a ticket out of town.

I heard an interesting story on ESPN radio this morning- said a former star player (unnamed) told the reporter he was offered a coaching job with the Steelers. When he asked about players skipping practices etc, Tomlin gave him the 'as long as they produce' line. The guy said thanks for the opportunity but no thanks.

That franchise is a dumpster fire.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, brewer said:

We know that there is some off the field risk, but he has consistently been the top performing WR for the past 5 years with no signs of slowing down physically.  His salary cap hit to his new team will be in the $12M range next year.  If I'm one of the teams who has a hard time attracting top talent via free agency, I offer a high second and don't think twice about it.

All it takes is one and people seem to forget that the NFL draft is far from an exact science.  You know what you are going to get with Antonio Brown(good and bad).

The problem with that is unless you are willing to renegotiate his contract immediately, the Steelers headache just became your headache.

14 minutes ago, brewer said:

When you consider what a crapshoot 2nd and 3rd rounders are this makes sense. Especially for a somewhat lesser team trying to move up and become relevant. A top team might not want the distraction.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mbuehner said:

Im not sure if Brown or the Steelers ends up looking worse at the end of all this. Probably the Steelers given its their second star that is publicly demanding a ticket out of town.

I heard an interesting story on ESPN radio this morning- said a former star player (unnamed) told the reporter he was offered a coaching job with the Steelers. When he asked about players skipping practices etc, Tomlin gave him the 'as long as they produce' line. The guy said thanks for the opportunity but no thanks.

And what will Brown do when his new coach actually makes him show up to practice on time, no special training camp housing, etc. Sh@@ show waiting to happen for whoever trades for him. IF anyone bothers that is.

99% chance AB’s new team will have to sweeten the pot on his 12M salary. That is why the Steelers will get a third, at best. 

Sending a message to future players that acting like an unprofessional buffoon won't get you what you want seems to be worth a lot more to the Steelers than a 3rd round pick.

Look at what they did with Le'Veon.

Even if they give in to Brown, by now the perception is that they have already tarnished their general reputation with players (between this and the Bell situation), so they might as well stick to their guns. 

2 hours ago, mbuehner said:

I think Bell still likes the Steelers and those players and fo are fond of him. He just wants wr money. 

3 hours ago, mbuehner said:

Reminds of the time I interviewed at NASA... received an offer, quite nice, but asked the Director of the space program, "so what about these guys that take home office supplies?" He gave me the "as long as the shuttle makes it back in one piece" line. Of course I walked too.

• Like 1

I can see PIT trading to TEAM X and that team flipping him to NE for way more than they gave up.

5 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

I can see PIT trading to TEAM X and that team flipping him to NE for way more than they gave up.

New England’s the last place he ends up. The Pats have been to 4 of the last 5 Superbowls on the back of humility and team-mindedness. Antonio Brown is the exact opposite of that. 

Edited by Edgar
Wordiness

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

New England’s the last place he ends up. The Pats have been to 4 of the last 5 Superbowls on the back of humility and team-mindedness. Antonio Brown is the exact opposite of that. 

The Patriots have only one WR signed for next year (Edelman) and have a history of taking on or bringing in divas, me first guys, or receivers with issues (Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Josh Gordon, Donte Stallworth as examples). They certainly have shown they are not turned off at the prospect of taking on someone like AB. There really aren't any WR1's on the open market, their track record for drafting receivers is one step below terrible, and they probably wouldn't target someone like OBJ because his cap number would be too high. They definitely have a need for WR's. Not saying it's likely to happen, but I would bet there would be internal discussions as to whether they should consider it and what it would take to get him on the roster.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Edgar said:

I don't think he ends up in NE either, but your argument's premise is pure myth.

15 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Now that is a scary thought because I would hate to see AB in NE with TB and BB, LOL.

8 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

The Patriots have only one WR signed for next year (Edelman) and have a history of taking on or bringing in divas, me first guys, or receivers with issues (Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Josh Gordon, Donte Stallworth as examples). They certainly have shown they are not turned off at the prospect of taking on someone like AB. There really aren't any WR1's on the open market, their track record for drafting receivers is one step below terrible, and they probably wouldn't target someone like OBJ because his cap number would be too high. They definitely have a need for WR's. Not saying it's likely to happen, but I would bet there would be internal discussions as to whether they should consider it and what it would take to get him on the roster.

I sure hope teams aren't stupid enough to trade AB to NE.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I sure hope teams aren't stupid enough to trade AB to NE.

I wouldn't have thought that the Raiders would trade Khalil Mack or Amari Cooper for picks in an attempt to draft the next Khalil Mack or Amari Cooper. So anything is possible.

20 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

I wouldn't have thought that the Raiders would trade Khalil Mack or Amari Cooper for picks in an attempt to draft the next Khalil Mack or Amari Cooper. So anything is possible.

Both traded to the other conference.  But a trade to the NFC, then back to the AFC and to NE sounds remote at best.  A trade fom Pittsburgh to NE isn't happening.  A trade to another AFC team then back to NE is not only remote, but would be very foolish of that AFC team.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Both traded to the other conference.  But a trade to the NFC, then back to the AFC and to NE sounds remote at best.  A trade fom Pittsburgh to NE isn't happening.  A trade to another AFC team then back to NE is not only remote, but would be very foolish of that AFC team.

I agree that it's unlikely, but not much shocks me anymore. So I would not be totally surprised If AB got sent to the Lions and Patricia flipped him to NE for a bunch of picks. Probably less than a 1% chance of it happening, but something hoodie might try to finagle. Bottom line, NE is going to have to do something to bring in more receivers. How and from where will be interesting to observe. There's already been talk and speculation of the Pats revisiting their WR acquisition strategy like they did in 2007 when they brought in Moss, Welker, Stallworth, and Gaffney.

I also would be curious what the Steelers would do if NE offered the best deal for Brown if PIT would still say no dice. Again, an unlikely scenario, but if NE offers a first and a second and no other team offers more than a 4th, would PIT still say no? (I am aware the Pats wouldn't offer that.)

17 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

I actually had that same thought the other night when I read La Canfora's report. Easy to do since his contract has no bonus or guaranteed money in it.

The risk a team might take of doing such a deal is incurring a bad rep so that the next time a team want's to make sure they send a player to a place that won't come back on them I think they'd have second thoughts about dealing with that team.

But I honestly have never understood this stance of not trading a player you don't want anymore to a rival team. If you get the best deal for your team you should take it. If you think the player is so great you won't take the best available trade out of fear he'll come back on you then you probably need to think twice about making trading the player. 

Besides, and I'm saying this as a Steeler fan, if they trade AB I don't see them viably contending next year anyway. I don't really care where they trade him with respect to worrying about impact of Steelers making the SB next year.

17 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Has something like this ever happened? I don't recall but I'm also probably forgetting an obvious example.

55 minutes ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

Has something like this ever happened? I don't recall but I'm also probably forgetting an obvious example.

folks are just making up random stuff now. If we're doing that, then I predict that the NFL puts a team on the moon and AB will be their franchise player that draws the crowd to Telsa Moon Base Stadium. I know it's the offseason, so we gotta talk about something, but a trade that specifically leads to another trade seems like fun offseason conjecture that has 0.00001% of actually happening.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, joey said:

folks are just making up random stuff now. If we're doing that, then I predict that the NFL puts a team on the moon and AB will be their franchise player that draws the crowd to Telsa Moon Base Stadium. I know it's the offseason, so we gotta talk about something, but a trade that specifically leads to another trade seems like fun offseason conjecture that has 0.00001% of actually happening.

A more realistic scenario that gets AB to NE would be for him to be traded somewhere (lets say an NFC team)... then he keeps up his antics and gets cut... BOOM... he signs with NE.

3 hours ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

Collusion? 

2 hours ago, Steeler said:

A more realistic scenario that gets AB to NE would be for him to be traded somewhere (lets say an NFC team)... then he keeps up his antics and gets cut... BOOM... he signs with NE.

"Insiders" allegedly said that the Steelers would be lucky to get a day 2 pick for AB. What if the Pats were offering a day 2 pick while all other teams were offering a 4th round pick? Would the Steelers bite? 

31 minutes ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

"Insiders" allegedly said that the Steelers would be lucky to get a day 2 pick for AB. What if the Pats were offering a day 2 pick while all other teams were offering a 4th round pick? Would the Steelers bite? 

I doubt it.  Steeler fans would be irate if they traded AB to NE.  

Should worrying about what fans think be the deciding factor in making football decisions? Definitely a factor but not the primary factor. If you could get a high value draft pick I think that would better serve the team long term. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

So, Mr. Brown is worth the same as Joe Flacco?

Just to clarify, those aren't my words. I am quoting reports have been circulating about his value. Too lazy to google and link. What fascinates my is the notion that the Steelers would take substantially less from any team not named the Patriots. That seems to go against their own long term interests. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

Just to clarify, those aren't my words. I am quoting reports have been circulating about his value. Too lazy to google and link. What fascinates my is the notion that the Steelers would take substantially less from any team not named the Patriots. That seems to go against their own long term interests. 

To take a significantly worse pick to keep him away from NE would be cutting off the nose to spite the face, but politics do play a role.

All else equal, I imagine the Steelers don’t want AB to have a terrific season upon leaving. But wherever he goes, discussing his 2019-2021 contract will be huge. Every inch of me believes AB threw up his skirt so he could force a trade and get paid one, last, time. 

I agree that getting paid is one motivating factor, but for whatever reason AB seems to have an ax to grind with BB. It is sounds like a pretty large ax.

25 minutes ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

I agree that getting paid is one motivating factor, but for whatever reason AB seems to have an ax to grind with BB. It is sounds like a pretty large ax.

Huh? Why is he upset with B.B.?

14 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Huh? Why is he upset with B.B.?

Because he's woke.

I'm convinced the only way to keep AB happy is to make him the QB.  

• Like 1

Just now, Buttonhook said:

Because he's woke.

I'm convinced the only way to keep AB happy is to make him the QB.  

I couldn’t be more confused. 

Abbreviations have gotten completely out of hand on that board.

But this recent exchange works best if we read “B.B.” as “Big Ben” rather than “Bill Bellichek,” as the 99% of us who weren’t the original poster did.

Ironically, “B.B.” with the periods is actually more characters than just saying “Ben” and avoiding all confusion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Buttonhook said:

Did you just quote AB?

Nope. @32 Counter Pass said :

1 hour ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

I asked why AB would have an axe to grind with BB? Assuming BB = Bill Belichick. Am I wrong here? I could be, thats why I asked. 

2 minutes ago, Arodin said:

But this recent exchange works best if we read “B.B.” as “Big Ben” rather than “Bill Bellichek,” as the 99% of us who weren’t the original poster did.

Ironically, “B.B.” with the periods is actually more characters than just saying “Ben” and avoiding all confusion.

Thank you! WTF uses BB for Big Ben? :lmao:

• Like 1

Just now, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

I asked why AB would have an axe to grind with BB? Assuming BB = Bill Belichick. Am I wrong here? I could be, thats why I asked. 

See Arodin's comment above yours. I think that explains it pretty well.  It's Big Ben.  

10 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

BB = Big Ben in context to AB

ah. I get it.

AB has an axe to grind with BB, so he should force a trade to NE to play with BB and TB.

pretty simple stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Arodin said:

I assumed Belichick because why would you ever use B.B. for Roethlisberger? I’ve never seen that before in my life. 

Edit: Ok went back and it appears to be Big Ben. Can we never use that again, especially when the Pats are involved in the same conversation. 

Edited by Elevencents

5 hours ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

Should worrying about what fans think be the deciding factor in making football decisions? Definitely a factor but not the primary factor. If you could get a high value draft pick I think that would better serve the team long term. 

Of course not and the Steelers will do what's best for them regardless of what the fans think.  I answered your question with "I doubt it".  Then added, as a separate comment, that the fans would hate a trade to NE, not that the Steelers would use that to determine what to do.

ESPN's Mike Wells does not expect the Colts to pursue Antonio Brown.

The Colts are overflowing with cap space. They also have a thin receiver depth chart behind T.Y. Hilton. Nevertheless, Wells does not expect GM Chris Ballard to make a run, due at least in part fo the distraction factor. The Steelers reportedly will not trade Brown to the AFC North or Patriots. If Indy also isn't a player, that's a fertile ground of potential suitors who are already off the board.

RELATED:  

Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Feb 14, 2019, 2:36 PM

Looks like the typical guy the hawks go after, give too high of a pick for, sign to too big of an extension, don't throw them the ball enough and have it end up in a big hissy fit between the team and player.