Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Casting Couch

Antonio Brown - Out of his Head - Out of the League

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I am sure they gave them permission to seek out a team willing to do the contract but let them know trade demands. Hopefully AB shuts up for a few weeks now ....

That would be a smart move by Brown and his agent, as he could then dictate what team he gets traded to, instead of the Steelers shipping him off to the NFL purgatory (the Raiders). 

5 minutes ago, grateful zed said:

fitz down?

AB may be the best wr to ever play the game.  At least he is close enough.

pay him, by him flowers, build him a throne and build the rest of your team around him.

who cares if he is a diva or mental case, the NFL is about winning games, not sucking off your management.  

im buying in dynasty and willing to over pay. 

He is a great WR, but best ever? No. 

I agree though, the NFL is about winning games, and if recent history has shown us anything, it's that you don't need a stud WR to win games, and overpaying one really doesn't help. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Steeler said:

This sucks for the Steelers.  I know they have to move on from AB because he just doesn't want to be a Steeler any longer, but the only chance they have at getting anything worthwhile at this point is if two teams get into a bidding war for his services. 

AB has the potential to turn a crappy receiving corps into a good one and a good one into elite.   I think there is a decent chance that teams will be willing to part with a high draft pick (2nd round) to get that kind of player.   All it takes is one team.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, zeeshan2 said:

Adam Schefter✔@AdamSchefter

Antonio Brown met today with Art Rooney, per source. Then Brown’s agent Drew Rosenhaus joined the meeting, as did Steelers’ GM Kevin Colbert and exec Omar Kahn. Meeting was cordial and “everyone agreed the trade will be for the best,” per source.

 

10:17 AM - Feb 19, 2019

Dan Snyder white courtesy phone...Dan Snyder white courtesy phone.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who were complaining about the Steelers unwillingness to give Lev Bell a boatload of guaranteed money, this one of the reasons why they didn't want to.  They paid AB top dollar and it still wasn't good enough, now they will trade him for less than he is worth and get stuck with a huge cap hit. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

Dan Snyder white courtesy phone...Dan Snyder white courtesy phone.....

For the sake of all my AB shares, I pray that Jebus will not allow this to happen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, brewer said:

For those who were complaining about the Steelers unwillingness to give Lev Bell a boatload of guaranteed money, this one of the reasons why they didn't want to.  They paid AB top dollar and it still wasn't good enough, now they will trade him for less than he is worth and get stuck with a huge cap hit. 

I think it speaks more to team ownership's inflexibility and culture.  It seems odd to me that two of the best players at their position in the entire league all of a sudden want nothing to do with one of the most storied and stable franchises in league history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear the Jets are looking for skill players and have 100 million dollars in cap room...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tangfoot said:

For the sake of all my AB shares, I pray that Jebus will not allow this to happen.

Same. Not sure about you but I'm sweating Tennessee, Washington, Carolina, Buffalo, SEA and Miami the most and that's with assumption that Baltimore is off limits.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, brewer said:

For those who were complaining about the Steelers unwillingness to give Lev Bell a boatload of guaranteed money, this one of the reasons why they didn't want to.  They paid AB top dollar and it still wasn't good enough, now they will trade him for less than he is worth and get stuck with a huge cap hit. 

It's just a shame his contract was not structured like the way the Giant's did Odell's. That contract was one that is really better for the team and the player, major difference was they pushed more guarantees into his future base salaries then the Steeler's did with AB.

So now just one year into Odell's deal,  even with him getting paid more then AB, the Giants can deal him for less of a cap hit and gain more cap space back then the Steelers will get when they trade AB and AB completed two years of his deal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

I think it speaks more to team ownership's inflexibility and culture.  It seems odd to me that two of the best players at their position in the entire league all of a sudden want nothing to do with one of the most storied and stable franchises in league history.

I am not sure why people keep trying to make the Lev Bell and Antonio Brown situations as being similar.

Bell has not been under contract and has indicated he wanted to remain a Steeler but the two sides have been unable to agree to a deal.  I'm not sure if he still feels that way but I have a feeling if they paid him what he wants he would be okay with that.

AB is the one that wants nothing to do with the Steelers and it isn't about money.

Edited by Godsbrother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

I think it speaks more to team ownership's inflexibility and culture.  It seems odd to me that two of the best players at their position in the entire league all of a sudden want nothing to do with one of the most storied and stable franchises in league history.

I think management and ownership deserve a good bit of blame in this and the Bell situation.  But AB's contract was not unfair or unfriendly to the player at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I am not sure why people keep trying to make the Lev Bell and Antonio Brown situations as being similar.

Bell has not been under contract and has indicated he wanted to remain a Steeler but the two sides have been unable to agree to a deal.  I'm not sure if he still feels that way but I have a feeling if they paid him what he wants he would be okay with that.

AB is the one that wants nothing to do with the Steelers.

People don't live in a vacuum.  If a co-worker gets a raise or certain treatment, it affects the way you feel and what you request.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brewer said:

People don't live in a vacuum.  If a co-worker gets a raise or certain treatment, it affects the way you feel and what you request.

Of course but I don't think contract negotiations equates to "ownership's inflexibility and culture"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Of course but I don't think contract negotiations equates to "ownership's inflexibility and culture"

I think the ownership group has plenty of blame in how the Bell contract situation was handled and I think Coach Tomlin has plenty of blame for his general lack of discipline, especially in giving special privs to AB and Ben.  I'm not the one that used the "ownership's inflexibility and culture" phrase, but do you not agree that both situations were handled poorly at the very least by the Steelers ownership and management group? 

A famous Tomlin quote is "The standard is the standard", well unless you are AB of course, then there is a different standard.  And we are not talking about a prime parking spot, we are talking about consistently being late or absent from mandatory meetings and by some reports, late to report on game day.  If you don't think those sorts of things played into the attitude and stance of these players, then I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Edited by brewer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

That would be a smart move by Brown and his agent, as he could then dictate what team he gets traded to, instead of the Steelers shipping him off to the NFL purgatory (the Raiders). 

He is a great WR, but best ever? No. 

I agree though, the NFL is about winning games, and if recent history has shown us anything, it's that you don't need a stud WR to win games, and overpaying one really doesn't help. 

Brown and his agent do not control where or if he gets traded.  Brown's options are play for the Steelers, or if he is traded play for that team, or retire.  

I guess he could hold out if he's not traded or he doesn't like the team he is traded to but I think this would be the most unlikely outcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, brewer said:

I think the ownership group has plenty of blame in how the Bell contract situation was handled and I think Coach Tomlin has plenty of blame for his general lack of discipline, especially in giving special privs to AB and Ben.  I'm not the one that used the "ownership's inflexibility and culture" phrase, but do you not agree that both situations were handled poorly at the very least by the Steelers ownership and management group? 

 

I never said they didn't mishandle the situation, only that that Bell and AB were different cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So he wants more money to boot, new contract, more guaranteed cash etc. so was this whole thing all about worming his way into a better deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, killface said:

as a 49ers fan, please oh please, do not sign this idiot.  

Ive been on the fence since this whole fiasco, but now I gotta agree, I want nothing to do with this weirdo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moondog said:

Brown and his agent do not control where or if he gets traded.  Brown's options are play for the Steelers, or if he is traded play for that team, or retire.  

I guess he could hold out if he's not traded or he doesn't like the team he is traded to but I think this would be the most unlikely outcome.

Brown is playing his cards to where there is no way a team will give up a lot for him if they don't think he will play there.  Brown is basically saying, "If you trade for me, you better be prepared to give me a lot of guaranteed money." 

And I think it is likely that Brown will not want to go to a team that already has a legit number 1 WR or a team with an offense that is known for spreading the ball around.  He is a stat whore and wants his targets and catches, above all else. I don't think it's a coincidence that this happened after the Steelers finally got a really good, reliable number 2 behind him.  That is why he views SF as a good landing spot because they are starved for WR help. 

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

He is a stat whore and wants his targets and catches, above all else. I don't think it's a coincidence that this happened after the Steelers finally got a really good, reliable number 2 behind him.

Statistically, his 2018 season was almost identical to his 2016 season, except in 2018 he had 15 more targets and 3 more TDs. 

I mean, sure he's been a ##### about the whole Team MVP thing, but I'm not sure you can make a valid argument that his production has changed in any way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

I am not sure why people keep trying to make the Lev Bell and Antonio Brown situations as being similar.

Bell has not been under contract and has indicated he wanted to remain a Steeler but the two sides have been unable to agree to a deal.  I'm not sure if he still feels that way but I have a feeling if they paid him what he wants he would be okay with that.

AB is the one that wants nothing to do with the Steelers and it isn't about money.

You clearly didn't watch ABs video on the stationary bike, posted in last 24 hours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zeeshan2 said:

Adam Schefter✔@AdamSchefter

Antonio Brown met today with Art Rooney, per source. Then Brown’s agent Drew Rosenhaus joined the meeting, as did Steelers’ GM Kevin Colbert and exec Omar Kahn. Meeting was cordial and “everyone agreed the trade will be for the best,” per source.

 

10:17 AM - Feb 19, 2019

I'm disappointed that AR look a photo with this loser, after he quit, blew everyone off on the team and organization, and had no problem publicly trashing the Steelers.

Wish AR had bigger balls to stand up for what's right.  It's probably a lot of the reason we're such a ####-show for a team right now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tangfoot said:

Statistically, his 2018 season was almost identical to his 2016 season, except in 2018 he had 15 more targets and 3 more TDs. 

I mean, sure he's been a ##### about the whole Team MVP thing, but I'm not sure you can make a valid argument that his production has changed in any way.

I guess it's a good thing that I was not making that argument, then, right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, irish eyes said:

Good luck to whatever team trades for this nut bag, geez.

whoever does better name him team MVP every season....cant hurt the diva's feelings

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

whoever does better name him team MVP every season....cant hurt the diva's feelings

 

And name the team after him.    LA will become the Chesters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Buttonhook said:

You clearly didn't watch ABs video on the stationary bike, posted in last 24 hours?

His problem with the Steelers has not been about money.  That video was directed towards any team stupid enough to think about trading for him

Edited by Godsbrother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

His problem with the Steelers has not been about money.  That video was directed towards any team stupid enough to think about trading for him

 

Yeah, it’s only about the team having unrealistic expectations of him, like showing up for meetings on time (or at all), playing in games, acting like the team doesn’t exist just to revolve around and gratiate him, and not walking off in the middle of games.  It’s slavery, I tell you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert has said the Steelers have not talked to any teams regarding a trade for Antonio Brown.   He went on to say that AB will not be discounted nor will he be released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert has said the Steelers have not talked to any teams regarding a trade for Antonio Brown.   He went on to say that AB will not be discounted nor will he be released.

Exactly what every Steelers fan wanted to hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, menobrown said:

Exactly what every Steelers fan wanted to hear.

The Steelers really need to do this if they don't want to set a precedent of the inmates running the asylum

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dynasty/Keeper question. If you own a QB on a different team, would you be against AB joining that team? Do you think your QB would do worse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Dynasty/Keeper question. If you own a QB on a different team, would you be against AB joining that team? Do you think your QB would do worse?

AB is one of the best WR's in the game and would be a tremendous assistance and up the fantasy value of any QB. Your QB literally might not be able to do better.  Maybe I'm not understanding the questions because this should not be in question.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Dynasty/Keeper question. If you own a QB on a different team, would you be against AB joining that team? Do you think your QB would do worse?

The new QB will be fine as long as AB gets 10 targets per game, constantly praises AB in the media, and buys him breakfast every morning.  It wouldn't hurt if the new QB mentions how big AB's chest looks either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, menobrown said:

AB is one of the best WR's in the game and would be a tremendous assistance and up the fantasy value of any QB. Your QB literally might not be able to do better.  Maybe I'm not understanding the questions because this should not be in question.

You are overlooking the fact that AB might be crazy :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steeler said:

The new QB will be fine as long as AB gets 10 targets per game, constantly praises AB in the media, and buys him breakfast every morning.  It wouldn't hurt if the new QB mentions how big AB's chest looks either.

You did not answer the question. Would that QB put up worse stats than he did before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leroy Hoard said:

You did not answer the question. Would that QB put up worse stats than he did before?

You did not ask that question and my previous answer should work again, of course not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

You did not answer the question. Would that QB put up worse stats than he did before?

Probably not, as long as AB is happy the new QB should do better.

Edited by Steeler
I can't ready very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

The Steelers really need to do this if they don't want to set a precedent of the inmates running the asylum

It sounds like they already do and have been for awhile.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, menobrown said:

AB is one of the best WR's in the game and would be a tremendous assistance and up the fantasy value of any QB. Your QB literally might not be able to do better.  Maybe I'm not understanding the questions because this should not be in question.

Well then let's up it a notch. Would the new team have a better record with or without him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leroy Hoard said:

Well then let's up it a notch. Would the new team have a better record with or without him?

He'd be a tremendous addition to any team and make them better and all things being equal he'd lead to more wins but reality of any team he joins is he is just one player and a lot of things will impact final W-L record. But he'll make any team he joins better.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, while I don't think AB is going about this the right way at all, it does sound like Ben Rothlisberger is a real ##### that thinks his ☠️ doesn't stink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Well then let's up it a notch. Would the new team have a better record with or without him?

The new team will never lose another game as long as AB is on the team!

Seriously though, AB is an addition on the field, no question about it.  Also pretty obvious is that there is some off field and locker room risk associated with acquiring AB given his antics over the last year or so.  As long as AB is happy and getting his stats, the new QB and team should be better with him than without him.  "As long as he is happy" is a big if/risk IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Foosball God said:

Also, while I don't think AB is going about this the right way at all, it does sound like Ben Rothlisberger is a real ##### that thinks his ☠️ doesn't stink

I still think Ben should tamp down the public comments but after the glowing endorsement he got from Rooney today I would imagine he will be even more emboldened.

If Ben is interested, I think he'll make an outstanding analyst one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Dynasty/Keeper question. If you own a QB on a different team, would you be against AB joining that team? Do you think your QB would do worse?

I don't understand this at all.  Why would there be any concern an elite WR brings any QB down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AB has never been accused of not being a hard worker.  I think when he gets traded he's going to bust his ### to prove that he's just that good and he wasn't just a product of the Steeler's system.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.