What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (7 Viewers)

I think it speaks more to team ownership's inflexibility and culture.  It seems odd to me that two of the best players at their position in the entire league all of a sudden want nothing to do with one of the most storied and stable franchises in league history.
I think management and ownership deserve a good bit of blame in this and the Bell situation.  But AB's contract was not unfair or unfriendly to the player at all.

I am not sure why people keep trying to make the Lev Bell and Antonio Brown situations as being similar.

Bell has not been under contract and has indicated he wanted to remain a Steeler but the two sides have been unable to agree to a deal.  I'm not sure if he still feels that way but I have a feeling if they paid him what he wants he would be okay with that.

AB is the one that wants nothing to do with the Steelers.
People don't live in a vacuum.  If a co-worker gets a raise or certain treatment, it affects the way you feel and what you request.

Of course but I don't think contract negotiations equates to "ownership's inflexibility and culture"
I think the ownership group has plenty of blame in how the Bell contract situation was handled and I think Coach Tomlin has plenty of blame for his general lack of discipline, especially in giving special privs to AB and Ben.  I'm not the one that used the "ownership's inflexibility and culture" phrase, but do you not agree that both situations were handled poorly at the very least by the Steelers ownership and management group? 

A famous Tomlin quote is "The standard is the standard", well unless you are AB of course, then there is a different standard.  And we are not talking about a prime parking spot, we are talking about consistently being late or absent from mandatory meetings and by some reports, late to report on game day.  If you don't think those sorts of things played into the attitude and stance of these players, then I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be a smart move by Brown and his agent, as he could then dictate what team he gets traded to, instead of the Steelers shipping him off to the NFL purgatory (the Raiders). 

He is a great WR, but best ever? No. 

I agree though, the NFL is about winning games, and if recent history has shown us anything, it's that you don't need a stud WR to win games, and overpaying one really doesn't help. 
Brown and his agent do not control where or if he gets traded.  Brown's options are play for the Steelers, or if he is traded play for that team, or retire.  

I guess he could hold out if he's not traded or he doesn't like the team he is traded to but I think this would be the most unlikely outcome.

I think the ownership group has plenty of blame in how the Bell contract situation was handled and I think Coach Tomlin has plenty of blame for his general lack of discipline, especially in giving special privs to AB and Ben.  I'm not the one that used the "ownership's inflexibility and culture" phrase, but do you not agree that both situations were handled poorly at the very least by the Steelers ownership and management group? 
I never said they didn't mishandle the situation, only that that Bell and AB were different cases.

So he wants more money to boot, new contract, more guaranteed cash etc. so was this whole thing all about worming his way into a better deal?

Brown and his agent do not control where or if he gets traded.  Brown's options are play for the Steelers, or if he is traded play for that team, or retire.  

I guess he could hold out if he's not traded or he doesn't like the team he is traded to but I think this would be the most unlikely outcome.
Brown is playing his cards to where there is no way a team will give up a lot for him if they don't think he will play there.  Brown is basically saying, "If you trade for me, you better be prepared to give me a lot of guaranteed money." 

And I think it is likely that Brown will not want to go to a team that already has a legit number 1 WR or a team with an offense that is known for spreading the ball around.  He is a stat whore and wants his targets and catches, above all else. I don't think it's a coincidence that this happened after the Steelers finally got a really good, reliable number 2 behind him.  That is why he views SF as a good landing spot because they are starved for WR help. 

He is a stat whore and wants his targets and catches, above all else. I don't think it's a coincidence that this happened after the Steelers finally got a really good, reliable number 2 behind him.
Statistically, his 2018 season was almost identical to his 2016 season, except in 2018 he had 15 more targets and 3 more TDs. 

I mean, sure he's been a ##### about the whole Team MVP thing, but I'm not sure you can make a valid argument that his production has changed in any way.

I am not sure why people keep trying to make the Lev Bell and Antonio Brown situations as being similar.

Bell has not been under contract and has indicated he wanted to remain a Steeler but the two sides have been unable to agree to a deal.  I'm not sure if he still feels that way but I have a feeling if they paid him what he wants he would be okay with that.

AB is the one that wants nothing to do with the Steelers and it isn't about money.
You clearly didn't watch ABs video on the stationary bike, posted in last 24 hours?

Adam Schefter✔@AdamSchefter

Antonio Brown met today with Art Rooney, per source. Then Brown’s agent Drew Rosenhaus joined the meeting, as did Steelers’ GM Kevin Colbert and exec Omar Kahn. Meeting was cordial and “everyone agreed the trade will be for the best,” per source.

10:17 AM - Feb 19, 2019
I'm disappointed that AR look a photo with this loser, after he quit, blew everyone off on the team and organization, and had no problem publicly trashing the Steelers.

Wish AR had bigger balls to stand up for what's right.  It's probably a lot of the reason we're such a ####-show for a team right now.

Statistically, his 2018 season was almost identical to his 2016 season, except in 2018 he had 15 more targets and 3 more TDs. 

I mean, sure he's been a ##### about the whole Team MVP thing, but I'm not sure you can make a valid argument that his production has changed in any way.
I guess it's a good thing that I was not making that argument, then, right? 

You clearly didn't watch ABs video on the stationary bike, posted in last 24 hours?
His problem with the Steelers has not been about money.  That video was directed towards any team stupid enough to think about trading for him

His problem with the Steelers has not been about money.  That video was directed towards any team stupid enough to think about trading for him

Yeah, it’s only about the team having unrealistic expectations of him, like showing up for meetings on time (or at all), playing in games, acting like the team doesn’t exist just to revolve around and gratiate him, and not walking off in the middle of games.  It’s slavery, I tell you!

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert has said the Steelers have not talked to any teams regarding a trade for Antonio Brown.   He went on to say that AB will not be discounted nor will he be released.

Dynasty/Keeper question. If you own a QB on a different team, would you be against AB joining that team? Do you think your QB would do worse?

Dynasty/Keeper question. If you own a QB on a different team, would you be against AB joining that team? Do you think your QB would do worse?
AB is one of the best WR's in the game and would be a tremendous assistance and up the fantasy value of any QB. Your QB literally might not be able to do better.  Maybe I'm not understanding the questions because this should not be in question.

The new QB will be fine as long as AB gets 10 targets per game, constantly praises AB in the media, and buys him breakfast every morning.  It wouldn't hurt if the new QB mentions how big AB's chest looks either.

AB is one of the best WR's in the game and would be a tremendous assistance and up the fantasy value of any QB. Your QB literally might not be able to do better.  Maybe I'm not understanding the questions because this should not be in question.
You are overlooking the fact that AB might be crazy :lol:  

The new QB will be fine as long as AB gets 10 targets per game, constantly praises AB in the media, and buys him breakfast every morning.  It wouldn't hurt if the new QB mentions how big AB's chest looks either.
You did not answer the question. Would that QB put up worse stats than he did before?

Well then let's up it a notch. Would the new team have a better record with or without him?

Well then let's up it a notch. Would the new team have a better record with or without him?
He'd be a tremendous addition to any team and make them better and all things being equal he'd lead to more wins but reality of any team he joins is he is just one player and a lot of things will impact final W-L record. But he'll make any team he joins better.

Also, while I don't think AB is going about this the right way at all, it does sound like Ben Rothlisberger is a real ##### that thinks his ☠️ doesn't stink

The new team will never lose another game as long as AB is on the team!

Seriously though, AB is an addition on the field, no question about it.  Also pretty obvious is that there is some off field and locker room risk associated with acquiring AB given his antics over the last year or so.  As long as AB is happy and getting his stats, the new QB and team should be better with him than without him.  "As long as he is happy" is a big if/risk IMO.

Also, while I don't think AB is going about this the right way at all, it does sound like Ben Rothlisberger is a real ##### that thinks his ☠️ doesn't stink
I still think Ben should tamp down the public comments but after the glowing endorsement he got from Rooney today I would imagine he will be even more emboldened.

If Ben is interested, I think he'll make an outstanding analyst one day.

AB has never been accused of not being a hard worker.  I think when he gets traded he's going to bust his ### to prove that he's just that good and he wasn't just a product of the Steeler's system.
Except week 17.  And in subsequent reports leaking out during this final dispute.

How much of the latter is spin to make the team look good is open for debate, but if it is true, it seems AB has moved away from the hard worker reputation he had early in his career.

The new team will never lose another game as long as AB is on the team!

Seriously though, AB is an addition on the field, no question about it.  Also pretty obvious is that there is some off field and locker room risk associated with acquiring AB given his antics over the last year or so.  As long as AB is happy and getting his stats, the new QB and team should be better with him than without him.  "As long as he is happy" is a big if/risk IMO.
This is what I was looking for. I understand steeler fans and even AB owner being apprehensive about a move.  But all the posts saying they didn't want him on their team made me wonder.

Except week 17.  And in subsequent reports leaking out during this final dispute.

How much of the latter is spin to make the team look good is open for debate, but if it is true, it seems AB has moved away from the hard worker reputation he had early in his career.
One incident doesn't mean he's suddenly not a hard worker.  From what it sounds like AB ran a bad route, or at least a route that Rothlisberger didn't want him to run and forced the coaches to take Brown off the field.  Brown had enough and decided he was done.  I think he made the wrong choice, and I think he hasn't made very good choices subsequently, but I don't know that anyone has seen enough to say he isn't a hard worker anymore.

One incident doesn't mean he's suddenly not a hard worker.  From what it sounds like AB ran a bad route, or at least a route that Rothlisberger didn't want him to run and forced the coaches to take Brown off the field.  Brown had enough and decided he was done.  I think he made the wrong choice, and I think he hasn't made very good choices subsequently, but I don't know that anyone has seen enough to say he isn't a hard worker anymore.
I think that is only a reasonable conclusion if you discount the reports of skipping training camp, showing up late on game days, missing meetings...

Admittedly it may be sensible to discount those, given the circumstances in which they came out, but that’s part of what I’m pointing to in raising the possibility that he isn’t the tireless worker he once was.

I think that is only a reasonable conclusion if you discount the reports of skipping training camp, showing up late on game days, missing meetings...

Admittedly it may be sensible to discount those, given the circumstances in which they came out, but that’s part of what I’m pointing to in raising the possibility that he isn’t the tireless worker he once was.
Agree that as a general manager I'd have to weigh that as a risk, I just don't think it is a slam dunk observation at this point.

Maybe but it seems there has been this narrative that Ben never blames himself and always throws his teammates under the bus.  Anyone that actually listens to what he says after games knows this is not true.    There is an article out now that lists them but the point is he routinely takes blame for losses.

I have no idea of what goes on during practices and in the locker room but publicly I can only recall a handful or times he called out specific teammates (although he used to put blame on former OC Todd Haley quite a bit, there is no denying that  -- those two did not get along).  

He probably was out of line when he said that AB ran a crappy route but I have a feeling he was getting sick and tied of AB's sideline antics.

If/when Brown is dealt, am I alone in being worried about JuJu's fantasy value? Brown has commanded double teams, and his replacement will likely be either Washington(who looked lost as a rookie) or Switzer who is more of a slot guy, which is also where JuJu excels.

If/when Brown is dealt, am I alone in being worried about JuJu's fantasy value? Brown has commanded double teams, and his replacement will likely be either Washington(who looked lost as a rookie) or Switzer who is more of a slot guy, which is also where JuJu excels.
No, I don't think so. There was enough volume in Pittsburgh's offense within the passing game to support two top ten guys. JuJu will be drawing all the doubles now. It's like Golladay when Tate got traded and Jones went down. He didn't quite have the athleticism to compensate for the doubles he saw the rest of the year. 

We'll see about JuJu. 

Maybe but it seems there has been this narrative that Ben never blames himself and always throws his teammates under the bus.  Anyone that actually listens to what he says after games knows this is not true.    There is an article out now that lists them but the point is he routinely takes blame for losses.

I have no idea of what goes on during practices and in the locker room but publicly I can only recall a handful or times he called out specific teammates (although he used to put blame on former OC Todd Haley quite a bit, there is no denying that  -- those two did not get along).  

He probably was out of line when he said that AB ran a crappy route but I have a feeling he was getting sick and tied of AB's sideline antics.
They probably both have some growing up to do.

Users who are viewing this thread