What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (5 Viewers)

.you are talking about a 31 year old headache
Who led the NFL in receiving TDs and has posted 6 consecutive 100+ catch seasons (and ridiculous yardage over that time frame).  Obviously he's a head case, but he is (and most likely will) be productive on the field for a few years.  Hopefully for the Steelers teams will look more at his production and less at the off field antics.

It doesn't matter a whole lot what the Steelers think of his value. That will be in the eye of the beholder. I think they have decided to take the best they can get (probably not including in division or Pats offers) and are saying the right things to keep the bidding as high as possible.  So, you hope the buyers will look more at production and getting one of the best WRs in the world for the next 2-3 years than a guy throwing furniture off the upstairs balcony and quitting on his team because he didn't feel properly respected by his teammates.

I think it will help the Steelers to allow potential trade partners to talk with AB about contract terms, which I think may take as little as guaranteeing a bigger slice of the contract already in place. If there is a big sticking point, it may be guaranteeing the contract of a loose cannon who may find it easier to quit on teammates he doesn't know than those he had grown up amongst. A well written guarantee could fairly accommodate both concerns.

Ultimately, I think he is traded for a 2nd or early 3rd with his contract guaranteed against injury, but not against his behavior.

When you see what people like snacks harrison go for...
What Snacks went for was a crime, highway robbery, theft, one organization taking advantage of a fire sale, etc. 

It still irritates me because if the Giants hold on to Harrison, Eli Apple, build the OL through the draft, and sign Foles -- they've got an immediate playoff roster.  

Who led the NFL in receiving TDs and has posted 6 consecutive 100+ catch seasons (and ridiculous yardage over that time frame).  Obviously he's a head case, but he is (and most likely will) be productive on the field for a few years.  Hopefully for the Steelers teams will look more at his production and less at the off field antics.
Won't his beef with the Steelers continue with the next team?  They gave him a huge front-loaded contract that now isn't good enough for him.  Won't that happen again?

Won't his beef with the Steelers continue with the next team?  They gave him a huge front-loaded contract that now isn't good enough for him.  Won't that happen again?
Depends on how structure of contract but the big thing I'd encourage people to keep in mind is I'm not aware of AB every holding out complaining about his pay with the Steelers, seems like people are in bit of rush to judgment because he said he wanted guarantees. He's essentially out of guarantees, that's a completely understandable thing on his part to want. Does he want more money? Yes, of course, but I often reference a guy like Julio with AB and that's a guy who also got a front loaded contract and if ATL was not willing to redo his deal I guarantee he'd be holding out or asking to be traded.

My point is a 31 year old WR whose leverage is less every season, who is out of guarantees in his deal and his remaining years will pay him what I'd guess is an average of $5-7M per season less then the top paid WR each year will get wanting his contract redone with some guarantees added should not be viewed as some constant malcontent player always worried about his contract and considered prone to be difficult in the future.

I think a ton of conjecture is going on with AB by a lot of people. He's an easy target right now, but I think majority of players in the NFL who at his age  and perform like he has would want more money and guarantees.

you are talking about a 31 year old headache...
This narrative is absurd. Since 2012 Brown has only missed 6 games. Two of which were this year, apparently because of some kind of fallout with Big Ben. I do not agree with his choices but to label him as chronic head case feels like hyperbole. Maybe I am missing something but can someone point to so called head case behavior in years past?

What Snacks went for was a crime, highway robbery, theft, one organization taking advantage of a fire sale, etc. 

It still irritates me because if the Giants hold on to Harrison, Eli Apple, build the OL through the draft, and sign Foles -- they've got an immediate playoff roster.  
:lmao:

This narrative is absurd. Since 2012 Brown has only missed 6 games. Two of which were this year, apparently because of some kind of fallout with Big Ben. I do not agree with his choices but to label him as chronic head case feels like hyperbole. Maybe I am missing something but can someone point to so called head case behavior in years past?
  https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/antonio-brown-report-just-latest-bizarre-year

The list of crazy things AB has done over the last year or so is pretty long.  The article lists some things that aren't very relevant but the 4 things below are probably the most egregious off field stuff.  I'm not saying this should change anyone's mind, just sharing the details of he antics.

• Brown reportedly called Bouchette a “racist” after Bouchette tweeted that Brown was limping at training camp. He then called Bouchette a “clown” on Twitter. Reportedly, Brown apologized to Bouchette. 

• Brown threatened to assault ESPN’s The Undefeated reporter Jesse Washington, saying “wait to I see you bro we gone see what your jaw like.” Brown then issued public apology, then went on strange tirade to media in which he called himself an ”exceptionalism.”

• Brown was sued for trashing his Florida apartment and then claimed he had $80,000 in cash and a gun stolen from him. He was also sued for tossing furniture from 14th floor of his apartment building, nearly hitting and, potentially, killing a 22-month-old toddler. 

• Brown was cited for driving in excess of 100 miles per hour on McKnight Road, which was over 55 miles per hour more than the posted speed limit. Brown reportedly told police that he was late for a team meeting.

Not my list...i just googled brown

Pittsburgh Steelers

NFL

Sports

Antonio Brown’s laundry list of off-the-field antics and controversial headlines keeps growing.

Brown got into a verbal altercation with Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, skipped Saturday’s mandatory team walkthrough and then left Heinz Field at halftime of Sunday’s 16-13 win over the Cincinnati Bengals, according to numerous reports. 

The Post-Gazette’s Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette were first on the story, in which they report that the incident with Roethlisberger occurred Wednesday morning. Brown was listed as non-participant in practice that day due to a “coaches decision.” 

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Friday that Brown was kept out due to a knee injury, which had been added to the injury report on Thursday. Tomlin indicated that Brown could potentially play Sunday, despite not practicing. But Brown, reportedly, did not even test out the knee pregame and did not play.

The new report is the latest in a series of bizarre behavior and off-the-field issues for Brown, who caught 104 passes for 1297 yards and a career-high 15 touchdowns this season.

Below is a list of headlines from Brown since the 2017 season ended:

• Brown took to Instagram to publicly call out his girlfriend and mother of his children for not taking care of her children from a previous relationship.

Related: McDonald: Bell’s Absence ‘Rode’ With Steelers

• Brown skipped most of OTAs after he saw Roethlisberger wasn't there. Roethlisberger later admitted he had a pre-planned family vacation during the opt

• Brown slammed the media on first day of mandatory minicamp, appearing to question why he plays, saying, “Am I playing football to make a lot of money or am I playing football to take care of my family?” Brown continued, saying the media puts pressure on him and that he is unable to go out in public because of it.

• Brown showed up in a helicopter to training camp.

• Brown disappeared for a week during training camp. Mike Tomlin claimed that he had been sent to Pittsburgh for medical tests, but Brown was filmed in a pool in Miami.

• Brown reportedly called Bouchette a “racist” after Bouchette tweeted that Brown was limping at training camp. He then called Bouchette a “clown” on Twitter. Reportedly, Brown apologized to Bouchette. 

• Brown showed up more than four hours late to an event at Children’s Hospital, offering no explanation as to why he was so late.

• Brown makes a joke in a GQ article about cheating on his girlfriend and mother of children, saying “it’s kind of hard to keep it in my pants.” 

• Brown threatened to assault ESPN’s The Undefeated reporter Jesse Washington, saying “wait to I see you bro we gone see what your jaw like.” Brown then issued public apology, then went on strange tirade to media in which he called himself an ”exceptionalism.”

• Brown was spotted by CBS cameras hugging former Browns offensive coordinator Todd Haley during a game against Cleveland. He then was caught bragging about reaching 10,000 career receiving yards to Haley on team’s Snapchat, minutes after the 21-21 tie.

• Brown was seen yelling at his offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner and wide receivers coach Derryl Drake on sideline. He then left the locker room before media could ask him about it vs Chiefs.

• Brown tweeted "trade me let's find out" when criticized on Twitter by former Steelers public relations staffer Ryan Scarpino.

• Brown failed to show up for Monday meetings after the Chiefs game. He then told the media he was “pissed off” because “we suck.”

• Brown was sued for trashing his Florida apartment and then claimed he had $80,000 in cash and a gun stolen from him. He was also sued for tossing furniture from 14th floor of his apartment building, nearly hitting and, potentially, killing a 22-month-old toddler. 

• Brown was cited for driving in excess of 100 miles per hour on McKnight Road, which was over 55 miles per hour more than the posted speed limit. Brown reportedly told police that he was late for a team meeting.

• Brown repeatedly posted his personal accolades on social media after Steelers losses, including a crucial 31-28 loss in New Orleans.

• Brown reportedly got into a disagreement with Roethlisberger in practice, throws football at him and leaves practice.

• Brown reportedly skips the team’s walkthrough the day before Bengals game, shows up before game, is told he won’t play and leaves at halftime.

All of these incidents, some major, some minor, have occured since last offseason. Brown, who will turn 31 in July, is set to have a base salary of $12,625,000 in 2019. He is signed through the 2021 season.

TAGS: 

All Local

Antonio Brown

I would be in complete agreement. I think this past season he got to be more of a headache and since week 17 he's been a problem but to suggest he's been some headcase or problem child over course of his Steeler career is folly. I'm pretty sure up until week 17 last year the Steelers have been totally happy making him one of the highest paid WR's in the game and would have been happy having him back next season had AB decided to make amends instead of trying to force his way out.  Things turned ugly quickly, but that in no way should mean people should look to rewrite the history he had with this team.

I would be in complete agreement. I think this past season he got to be more of a headache and since week 17 he's been a problem but to suggest he's been some headcase or problem child over course of his Steeler career is folly. I'm pretty sure up until week 17 last year the Steelers have been totally happy making him one of the highest paid WR's in the game and would have been happy having him back next season had AB decided to make amends instead of trying to force his way out.  Things turned ugly quickly, but that in no way should mean people should look to rewrite the history he had with this team.
I disagree there is probably a ton of stuff we don't hear about, but the dudes a superstar. Tomlin couldn't control him no more

Watch some games from this year. Every time he didn’t get the ball or Ben missed him he threw a fit. Steelers stupidly let him do anything he anted and show up to games. Now the next team is going to change him after this has gone on for years? Good luck.

I disagree there is probably a ton of stuff we don't hear about, but the dudes a superstar. Tomlin couldn't control him no more
So you are disagreeing based on stuff you think might have have happened but don't know about? Ok.

I agree that Tomlin can't control him now. I do not believe that has been the case until now. In other words he is a problem now, he's not been during most of his career.

So you are disagreeing based on stuff you think might have have happened but don't know about? Ok.

I agree that Tomlin can't control him now. I do not believe that has been the case until now. In other words he is a problem now, he's not been during most of his career.
Teams keep stuff "in the locker room" all the time. Either way its time to get a divorce, the relationship is broken.

rockaction said:
I honestly don't get this.  They'd be in immediate contention if they pulled the trigger on Foles, tagged Collins, and built that line.  
Sorry. I missed the Foles part. Thought you meant with Manning. 

Sorry. I missed the Foles part. Thought you meant with Manning. 
Ahh, okay Sebowski. I'd agree with the laughter if was saying that they'd be in contention with Eli. My thought was a really contingent one that centered around some realistic hypotheticals, some of which that can't be undone (Snacks and Apple).

Last edited by a moderator:
rockaction said:
I honestly don't get this.  They'd be in immediate contention if they pulled the trigger on Foles, tagged Collins, and built that line.  
I wouldn't laugh, but I think the above would be a long shot.  A lot would have to break right for the Giants to be in true contention even doing those things.  

I wouldn't laugh, but I think the above would be a long shot.  A lot would have to break right for the Giants to be in true contention even doing those things.  
Yeah, and there's no way the Lions are giving the Giants back Harrison nor the Saints giving back Apple. It's more wishful thinking than any true realistic football discussion. 

I just wondered what the Giants were doing last year giving away quality players for mid-to-late round picks. 

That seems way too low. With Barkley, OBJ, Shepard, Engram, Harrison, Apple, Foles, and a revamped offensive line? 

I'm hard pressed to think of a team they wouldn't give fits. 
Its way too low to say that a slight QB upgrade doesn't make them better than 2 of the NFC's final 4 teams last year?

Other than Foles, that is what they had the first 7 weeks or so of this season, and went 1-6. Foles isn't some massive upgrade from Eli. Its a D to a C roughly. Can't see that one thing making them better than Dallas or Philly. I think you are greatly overrating Apple, and probably Shepard as well. Those guys are replacement level guys. 

Giants o-line is still below average, LB's are awful, and DB's even with Apple are below average. Giants are maybe an 8-8 team with Foles, Harrison and Apple. 

I don't think it's wild speculation to suggest that the Raiders, Jets, or Cardinals will be drafting in the top 5 or 10 picks next year.
Well for one thing no one said that it would require a first round pick (especially a top 5 pick) and for another the Raiders own three first round picks and an early second this year so if they were to trade for him it would likely be for one of their later firsts (although I doubt anyone trades a first).

Its way too low to say that a slight QB upgrade doesn't make them better than 2 of the NFC's final 4 teams last year?

Other than Foles, that is what they had the first 7 weeks or so of this season, and went 1-6. Foles isn't some massive upgrade from Eli. Its a D to a C roughly. Can't see that one thing making them better than Dallas or Philly. I think you are greatly overrating Apple, and probably Shepard as well. Those guys are replacement level guys. 

Giants o-line is still below average, LB's are awful, and DB's even with Apple are below average. Giants are maybe an 8-8 team with Foles, Harrison and Apple. 
The bolded is true, but I think Foles is a bigger upgrade than you think and I personally think they're better than 8-8 if they do the hypotheticals I proposed. 

But they're only hypotheticals, and some will never happen or, at the very least, are unlikely to happen, so the exercise is sort of moot and academic.  

Well for one thing no one said that it would require a first round pick (especially a top 5 pick) and for another the Raiders own three first round picks and an early second this year so if they were to trade for him it would likely be for one of their later firsts (although I doubt anyone trades a first).
Didn't the Steelers say it would take a 1st?  

What the hell is on ABs lip?

its a caterpillar, right? 
Big fan of the guy and all but his mustache, hair and that dumb fur coat he's been kicking all over the place is one of the dumbest looks I've seen anyone try and go with in quite some time.  Does not do a lot to tamp down talk he's lost his marbles.

Mike Silver of NFL Network said to "keep an eye on" the Saints in trade talks for Antonio Brown.

Silver's colleague at NFL Network, Ian Rapoport, mentioned the Raiders as another possible fit for Brown. It's unclear if Silver is reporting this or merely speculating, though New Orleans would obviously be an ideal landing spot for the veteran wideout. Pairing Michael Thomas with a future Hall of Famer in AB would make the Saints' passing game nearly unstoppable. The problem, of course, is that Thomas is up for an extension and paying both him and Brown would be difficult to pull off. As it stands now, the Saints have just under $13 million in available cap space, fifth-fewest among the league's 32 teams. The Saints could certainly benefit from adding another top-level pass-catcher, though Brown landing in New Orleans is probably just a pipe dream.

RELATED: 

Oakland Raiders

, New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: Mike Silver on Twitter

Mar 1, 2019, 12:04 PM

The Saints might be one of only a handful of teams who throw enough and have a good enough QB to keep AB happy. The thought of him going to the Saints has to scare the rest of the NFC teams.   

Updating an earlier report, Saints coach Sean Payton said the team hasn't reached out to the Steelers regarding Antonio Brown.

This comes on the heels of a report from NFL Network's Mike Silver, who said to "keep an eye" on New Orleans as a suitor for Brown. Steelers GM Kevin Colbert revealed last week that three teams had reached out in pursuit of Brown, but apparently the Saints weren't one of them. "Look, I’ve followed it a little bit like you guys have, and that’s really about it," said Payton while addressing reporters Friday at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. It's fun to envision Brown catching passes from Drew Brees inside the Superdome but before they entertain that possibility, the Saints will likely focus on re-signing Mark Ingram while locking Michael Thomas into a long-term contract.

RELATED: 

New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Mar 1, 2019, 2:53 PM

as a football fan it would be fun to watch this combo, but with MT there i just don't see this being a consideration for the saints. looking like brown's disgruntle-ness came in no small part because of juju's rise to fame, so no way he'd be happy playing opposite another great receiver like MT.

That’s great Pitt thinks that AB is worth a first. Let me see if I have this right... I think my house should be worth $2 million dollars. Now I just wait for the offers to come in right???
I don't disagree, just citing where I got the Pittsburgh said they want a 1st round pick from. 

I also think Pittsburgh does actually want that, since they have to take the cap hit even if they trade him.  It's not worth it unless they get a big return.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point is a 31 year old WR whose leverage is less every season, who is out of guarantees in his deal and his remaining years will pay him what I'd guess is an average of $5-7M per season less then the top paid WR each year will get wanting his contract redone with some guarantees added should not be viewed as some constant malcontent player always worried about his contract and considered prone to be difficult in the future.
He got his money UP FRONT.  It wasn't a mediocre contract.  His "guarantee" is, if he plays he gets paid.  How hard is that?  Now he wants to be paid more than #1 WR money even though he is still on his last monster contract.  Sounds like he's looking for a multi-year, guaranteed contract that will pay him more than anyone else every single year.

He got his money UP FRONT.  It wasn't a mediocre contract.  His "guarantee" is, if he plays he gets paid.  How hard is that?  Now he wants to be paid more than #1 WR money even though he is still on his last monster contract.  Sounds like he's looking for a multi-year, guaranteed contract that will pay him more than anyone else every single year.
It's easy for you to say his guarantee is if he plays he gets paid but come on. He's out of guarantees and every year he gets older and loses less leverage and frankly if he was not asking for more money or gurantee's it would be a bad business decision. And I keep referencing Julio because he is a similar aged player who also got his money upfront but also has no inclination whatsoever to play next season on his current deal and  I don't see people dogging Julio. AB's gone about all of this the wrong way, of that there is zero doubt,  but I will not be critical of him for being a 31 year old WR out of guarantees making what will soon be 75% of top APY WR pay and actually having the gall to want his contract redone to guarantee him some money and possible pay him more.

Last year when Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkings got silly contracts I did not hear a peep from AB wanting more money. Not when Odell got extended either.  Jay Glazer wrote this yesterday:  "There are mixed signals being put out there that Antonio may want a new contract and others are telling me it’s not as much about the contract, he just wants some of his base salary moved up to guaranteed money. Whatever it is, it’s murky". Like Glazer said it's murky but we don't know if all AB wants is more money pushed into guarantees but everyone seems comfortable running wild with this notion he wants a ton of money and that's center of what this is all about.

It's easy for you to say his guarantee is if he plays he gets paid but come on. He's out of guarantees and every year he gets older and loses less leverage and frankly if he was not asking for more money or gurantee's it would be a bad business decision. And I keep referencing Julio because he is a similar aged player who also got his money upfront but also has no inclination whatsoever to play next season on his current deal and  I don't see people dogging Julio. AB's gone about all of this the wrong way, of that there is zero doubt,  but I will not be critical of him for being a 31 year old WR out of guarantees making what will soon be 75% of top APY WR pay and actually having the gall to want his contract redone to guarantee him some money and possible pay him more.

Last year when Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkings got silly contracts I did not hear a peep from AB wanting more money. Not when Odell got extended either.  Jay Glazer wrote this yesterday:  "There are mixed signals being put out there that Antonio may want a new contract and others are telling me it’s not as much about the contract, he just wants some of his base salary moved up to guaranteed money. Whatever it is, it’s murky". Like Glazer said it's murky but we don't know if all AB wants is more money pushed into guarantees but everyone seems comfortable running wild with this notion he wants a ton of money and that's center of what this is all about.
So, if the team says to him, "All right.  The last two years are guaranteed" he'd play out the contract?  That's borderline absurd.  Do you REALLY think that's what he wants?

Users who are viewing this thread