Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Casting Couch

Antonio Brown - Out of his Head - Out of the League

1 minute ago, osubuckeyeman said:

Washington would have to make some cuts to create some cap space. You need about 10 million for the rookies alone. Washington just does not have the cap space. I'm not saying it can't be done because almost anything can be done but would take some interesting work on the front office side to get the numbers right. 

If they trade their first for him it would mean a lot less money needed for rookies. 

I agree it's not a great idea though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bostonfred said:

If they trade their first for him it would mean a lot less money needed for rookies. 

I agree it's not a great idea though

Bruce Allen is just awful. Looks like he has been on a binge for days when he is speaking publicly and might be the worst front office person/GM whatever title he has for a long time now. Synder loves to throw money at players but why he has kept Allen around I have no idea. If you want to to have some fun check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kYvFVu4fkY

After today, I think most teams would be fools to trade for AB. As a Steelers fan this is pretty much worst case scenario right now. AB doesn’t understand he’s trashing his value and now it’s known that this is a super deep WR class.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, menobrown said:

Not sure what else I can say other then I don't agree with any of it. You said you might be selling AB short, no maybe to it.

Fair enough. If AB ends up in Washington or Tennessee, where does that place him on your list?

Maybe it really is the mustache. You'd have to dye your mustache almost every day to keep your roots from showing, and i can't imagine smelling mustache dye all day helps you make good decisions.  

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Ack88 said:

Fair enough. If AB ends up in Washington or Tennessee, where does that place him on your list?

Tennessee is one of few places I"d probably no longer consider him a WR1. There is no place I'd not see him as a WR2 except maybe Baltimore.

3 hours ago, Bojang0301 said:

After today, I think most teams would be fools to trade for AB. As a Steelers fan this is pretty much worst case scenario right now. AB doesn’t understand he’s trashing his value and now it’s known that this is a super deep WR class.

What was today?

8 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

What was today?

The WR’s turning out in the combine.

4 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

The WR’s turning out in the combine.

That's a good angle on the WR's and one I thought of today but another thought I had was these WR's are not like him, so that helps.

I thought maybe you thought his value dropped a little more  today was first day I'm aware his sit down with Jeff Darlington aired, first day I saw it anyway and coming the day after I had to turn on my subtitles on my TV to try and figure out what he was blathering about on that Lebron show. As with most of his comments and interviews, did him zero good.

I'm pretty sure he filmed that Lebron infomercial before he sat down with Rooney. Not sure on the Darlington interview but I've noticed he's pretty much stopped silly tweets and instagram photo's since the Rooney meeting. Probably to little to late to rehab that image. Hard to believe this guy was on cover of the last Madden, looking all normal and all. Not sure a player has ever tarnished his name and rep more in a year without raping, beating or murdering someone. I'm serious.

I still love this guy as a player, seeing him unravel like this has really sucked on multiple levels.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, menobrown said:

That's a good angle on the WR's and one I thought of today but another thought I had was these WR's are not like him, so that helps.

I thought maybe you thought his value dropped a little more  today was first day I'm aware his sit down with Jeff Darlington aired, first day I saw it anyway and coming the day after I had to turn on my subtitles on my TV to try and figure out what he was blathering about on that Lebron show. As with most of his comments and interviews, did him zero good.

I'm pretty sure he filmed that Lebron infomercial before he sat down with Rooney. Not sure on the Darlington interview but I've noticed he's pretty much stopped silly tweets and instagram photo's since the Rooney meeting. Probably to little to late to rehab that image. Hard to believe this guy was on cover of the last Madden, looking all normal and all. Not sure a player has ever tarnished his name and rep more in a year without raping, beating or murdering someone. I'm serious.

I still love this guy as a player, seeing him unravel like this has really sucked on multiple levels.

I just watched the interview. "Wow". 

I like AB too. I do see though now why teams are willing to take the hard pass on this guy even as talented as AB is. 

Can you imagine being the GM that has been trying to convince ownership to take a chance on AB and then this interview comes out? I mean it's happening someone out there has been pounding the table for AB and "BAM" this steaming pile of poo comes out. I just see Tom Crusie as Jerry Maguire " Help me help you."   

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, menobrown said:

I'm pretty sure he filmed that Lebron infomercial before he sat down with Rooney.

Yes, and somebody in the Shark Pool predicted exactly what would happen with this. I forget who pointed this out and predicted Brown's meltdown, but they did, so this was expected even if you're a casual like me who has been following this and reading about it really closely. That doesn't detract from your broader point, but I'll bet the teams interested in him are aware that this was filmed before the meeting.

Still, not a good look.  

Edited by rockaction

Posted (edited)

AB alludes to possibly walking away from football

Article

During a revealing interview with ESPN's Jeff Darlington, Brown alluded to possibly walking away from the game. On Saturday, ProFootballTalk.com reported that the "quality of quarterback play will be a factor in Brown’s assessment of whether he wants to play for a team to which he could be traded." ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Friday night that the Oakland Raiders, Washington Redskins and Tennessee Titans are the three teams that have expressed the most interest in trading for Brown....

"I don't even have to play football, bro," Brown told Darlington. "I don’t even need the game. If they wanna play, they gonna play by my rules.”

:lmao:

this guy

Edited by Wingnut

11 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

AB alludes to possibly walking away from football

Article

During a revealing interview with ESPN's Jeff Darlington, Brown alluded to possibly walking away from the game. On Saturday, ProFootballTalk.com reported that the "quality of quarterback play will be a factor in Brown’s assessment of whether he wants to play for a team to which he could be traded." ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Friday night that the Oakland Raiders, Washington Redskins and Tennessee Titans are the three teams that have expressed the most interest in trading for Brown....

"I don't even have to play football, bro," Brown told Darlington. "I don’t even need the game. If they wanna play, they gonna play by my rules.”

:lmao:

this guy

No chance he walks away from the game.  He is a total stat whore and would probably love playing in Oakland where he could rack up garbage yards and catches like crazy to pad his overall numbers.  

16 hours ago, osubuckeyeman said:

Washington would have to make some cuts to create some cap space. You need about 10 million for the rookies alone. Washington just does not have the cap space. I'm not saying it can't be done because almost anything can be done but would take some interesting work on the front office side to get the numbers right. 

Washington has some overspending and cuts to make as is customary with that owner. Zach Brown was among the list of guys to be released. I don't follow them to know all that much here but they had the top tackler in the league and it's pretty odd to be capable of replacing him. With so many needs, how or why would they land a LB to replace him? None of them can play outside? I like that the owner spends but it just all seems weird to me from afar. 

Josh Johnson isn't attracting AB. I mean cmon. Derek Carr being shopped at the combine can't make Oakland seem like a good destination. My boy Marcus has not performed well and his stats wouldn't attract AB but...compared to Josh and no one, he's certainly the best option here.

At 9-7 two years in a row, a playoff win two years ago, beating the Pats handily last year, the Titans gotta seem like a team capable of making the playoffs if he joins. They have that over the other two teams too.

While I think the Titans are clearly the most favorable option, I also think this is like a big message to the rest of the league that all they gotta do is step in with an offer and they'll be in the lead. I really don't think all 3 are good options. I'm a Titans fan, but our best WR and only special WR the last 20-30 years has been Derrick Mason. They didn't exactly treat last year's #1 well heading into camp and he quit. I just...telling ya, I really think this means some other team steps up and gets AB

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

I’m guessing that Brown wasn’t a marketing major in college.  In the running for the dumbest player in the league.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

He also mentioned in that video that hes going to get a new contract when he gets a new team... 

I don't think this talk is bringing out the buyers. 

This all seems so crazy..  Like it's the world's dumbest publicity stunt

Edited by kittenmittens
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, menobrown said:

Tennessee is one of few places I"d probably no longer consider him a WR1. There is no place I'd not see him as a WR2 except maybe Baltimore.

Even Washington? Right now- it’s Colt McCoy or Josh Johnson.

1 hour ago, Ack88 said:

Even Washington? Right now- it’s Colt McCoy or Josh Johnson.

Yea Washington is not a great spot but even them, elaborated on why earlier, short version is AJG's usage and productivity under Gruden with what I view as fairly spare QB in Dalton. But if they really went into a season with those two as their top two QB's I'd be worried about what happens when McCoy got hurt, I think he's sneaky solid for a short stretch but can't take NFL pounding.  I'd put him on par with a Case Keenum, WR's can produce with those kind of QB's with big target loads.

3 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

I’m guessing that Brown wasn’t a marketing major in college.  In the running for the dumbest player in the league.

Le'Veon Bell clinched that title for years to come. 

1 hour ago, menobrown said:

Yea Washington is not a great spot but even them, elaborated on why earlier, short version is AJG's usage and productivity under Gruden with what I view as fairly spare QB in Dalton. But if they really went into a season with those two as their top two QB's I'd be worried about what happens when McCoy got hurt, I think he's sneaky solid for a short stretch but can't take NFL pounding.  I'd put him on par with a Case Keenum, WR's can produce with those kind of QB's with big target loads.

While Dalton is no elite QB, he has put up at least one QB1 season and is dependably a mid range QB2. Colt McCoy and Josh Johnson are fringe NFL players. Case Keenum is better than both McCoy and Johnson. I think the entire Skins passing game shrieks avoidance if that pair is taking the snaps. 

Thanks for clarifying. That's why I like this place- I like it when people push back on my opinions. Makes you a sharper owner.

1 hour ago, travdogg said:

Le'Veon Bell clinched that title for years to come. 

You badly misspelled “Josh Gordon”

AB has been great for almost a decade, but let me get this straight: A 31 yo WR with 3 years left on his deal who walked out on his team is demanding a trade to a new team, where they will pay him more money, have a QB better than or equal to Ben, and will “play by his rules,” aka from the outset the world knows Brown can do whatever he wants and he “takes no blame,” or he will up and retire.

Unbelievable. He may never take another snap. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Edgar said:

AB has been great for almost a decade, but let me get this straight: A 31 yo WR with 3 years left on his deal who walked out on his team is demanding a trade to a new team, where they will pay him more money, have a QB better than or equal to Ben, and will “play by his rules,” aka from the outset the world knows Brown can do whatever he wants and he “takes no blame,” or he will up and retire.

Unbelievable. He may never take another snap. 

They also need to win! He's there to win.  I don't think there is a team in the league that meets his criteria...  Maybe the Packers since Thompson is no longer GM and Gutekunst seems really dumb so far...

22 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

Be careful, people in here are very sensitive when you question someone's intelligence.  I for one couldn't agree more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irish eyes said:

Be careful, people in here are very sensitive when you question someone's intelligence.  I for one couldn't agree more. 

See, that's a strong statement. It says something. It means something. Now, how silly would it sound if you said "I for one could agree more"? 

19 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

They also need to win! He's there to win.  I don't think there is a team in the league that meets his criteria...  Maybe the Packers since Thompson is no longer GM and Gutekunst seems really dumb so far...

He has no interest in winning. If he did, he wouldn’t have walked off the team for their playoff game

13 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Feels like a lions move to trade for him....heck they almost traded for gronk last year

And Gronk is busy hoisting the Lombardi. What’s your point, son?

47 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

Starting to look like he remains on the Steelers. 

Less than 1%

4 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

Less than 1%

You dont believe Colbert when he says he wont give away Brown or do you think a team will still make a good offer despite his unrelenting nonsense?

• Like 1

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago

One takeaway from Combine week in Indy: The #Steelers have enough interest in WR Antonio Brown to be able to trade him before March 17, sources say. The #Raiders, #Broncos, and #AZCardinals are among the teams who have appeared the most intrigued.

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

He has no interest in winning. If he did, he wouldn’t have walked off the team for their playoff game

Was not a playoff game and not how it went down.

Everyone wants to win, it's just a matter of where it falls on the priority scale.

Posted (edited)

It's going to take a badly run organization to give up a decent pick for this clown. Just reading excerpts of his espn interview, saying he will do things on his terms and no one else's. He will be an absolute cancer wherever he ends up.

Edited by irish eyes
  • Like 1

In theory, every player should want to lower their trade value as long as it doesn't hurt their contract.  Would you rather go to a contending team with a late first or a bad team with an early first?  Would you rather go to a team with a first round pick or one that traded theirs away to get you? 

I wonder if that's his plan here, just giving the steelers the bird on the way out the door?

1 minute ago, bostonfred said:

I wonder if that's his plan here, just giving the steelers the bird on the way out the door?

If he has a plan I think it's just making sure one way or another they let him go, via trade or cut. I don't think he cares any if he draws back a 1st or a 7th, just whatever it takes to get out of Pittsburgh, go to preferred destination.

It's why I thought people made way to much out of his comment yesterday about not needing football.  Twitter/social media army came out in full force to show their disgust but all dude was trying to do is threaten to not play if he's not traded or traded to a team he likes or is willing to redo some aspects of his contract. He's just trying to scrap for whatever leverage he can since he's under contract for 3 more seasons. I don't think he's handling this the correct way,  but he's just trying to talk his way out of town.

I read Peter Kings piece this morning and below is an excerpt I tend to agree with, especially the bolded, again below is from Peter King, not me:

I keep thinking this about Brown’s situation: This too shall pass. His production over the last six years is peerless among NFL wideouts—his average season since 2013: 114 catches, 1,524 yards, 11 touchdowns—and I have not seen a player work at his craft harder than Brown does. I watched him at Steelers camp the last two summers work on the JUGS machine catching extra footballs long after every other receiver had left the field, doing it at times with aides pinning one arm away from his catch-radius to simulate surviving interference. I’m not saying he won’t eventually find something to make him unhappy in his new surroundings, but he’ll be motivated to prove he’s still great and not a cancer. Brown to the Raiders for the 27th pick (the Amari Cooper pick from Dallas, ironically) sounds about right to me.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

In theory, every player should want to lower their trade value as long as it doesn't hurt their contract. 

Well except if you're trying to get traded and your current team won't to send you away for a case of beer.

Edited by cloppbeast

44 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

In theory, every player should want to lower their trade value as long as it doesn't hurt their contract.  Would you rather go to a contending team with a late first or a bad team with an early first?  Would you rather go to a team with a first round pick or one that traded theirs away to get you? 

But a bad team could trade an early second round pick worth almost as much as a late first. Plus a bad team would probably have no qualms about throwing in another mid to late round pick, so that option would probably be better (say picks 36 and 105 from SFO would be better than pick 30 from GB).

1 hour ago, menobrown said:

Was not a playoff game and not how it went down.

Everyone wants to win, it's just a matter of where it falls on the priority scale.

It was a must-win game that his team needed to win to make the playoffs.  

AB got his feelings hurt at Wednesday practice when Big Ben yelled at him and claimed to have an injury.  Tomlin told him to go home for the day and report the next to get an MRI.  AB failed to do that and went AWOL for a couple of days, not answering repeated calls by the coach.  On Sunday his agent called the coach to tell him the player was going to play.   Tomlin told him that is not how it worked and if reported he would not play.   

That is how it went down.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Godsbrother said:

AB got his feelings hurt at Wednesday practice when Big Ben yelled at him and claimed to have an injury.  Tomlin told him to go home for the day and report the next to get an MRI.  AB failed to do that and went AWOL for a couple of days, not answering repeated calls by the coach.  On Sunday his agent called the coach to tell him the player was going to play.   Tomlin told him that is not how it worked and if reported he would not play.   

They won and did not advance. Was not a playoff game.

You have zero idea if AB had was hurting or not. None.  You are speculating. No idea if he got his feelings hurt.  Again running with speculation.  All we know for sure if he told Tomlin he was hurting and was told to go home.

I've never heard Tomlin or anyone verify he told him to report the next day. What I have heard is the only thing AB actually missed was the Saturday walk through. Not AWOL for a few days, missed Saturday walk through.

He was at the stadium and available to play Sunday. Tomlin said no thanks.

4 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

This is all correct. He went into hiding because he wasn’t MVP. 

6 minutes ago, menobrown said:

You have zero idea if AB had was hurting or not. None.  You are speculating. No idea if he got his feelings hurt.  Again running with speculation.  All we know for sure if he told Tomlin he was hurting and was told to go home.

I've never heard Tomlin or anyone verify he told him to report the next day. What I have heard is the only thing AB actually missed was the Saturday walk through. Not AWOL for a few days, missed Saturday walk through.

What are you talking about?  He 100% was scheduled for an MRI on Friday, and he did not show up.  Then when coaches reached out to him, he did not respond.  He was radio silent until his AGENT reached out to Tomlin on GAMEDAY.   That is what happened.  The ONLY discrepancy is what happened at practice earlier in the week during the drill -- did he throw a ball at Ben's head, was there an argument, etc.  

Just now, Leeroy Jenkins said:

What are you talking about?  He 100% was scheduled for an MRI on Friday, and he did not show up.  Then when coaches reached out to him, he did not respond.  He was radio silent until his AGENT reached out to Tomlin on GAMEDAY.   That is what happened.  The ONLY discrepancy is what happened at practice earlier in the week during the drill -- did he throw a ball at Ben's head, was there an argument, etc.  

I've seen a lot of different stuff reported. I've seen nothing that backs up the story that he was supposed to get an MRI but no showed. If you can find someone from Steelers or AB backing that up it's just more wild speculation. Either way some of you, like you, are not able to differentiate between missing practice and missing a game.

I'm done with this subject because I've covered it ad naseaum weeks ago.

If Tomlin had let him play he'd have played. I'll to to my grave saying that's not making yourself unavailable to play or quitting on the team but to each their own.

10 minutes ago, menobrown said:

I've seen a lot of different stuff reported. I've seen nothing that backs up the story that he was supposed to get an MRI but no showed. If you can find someone from Steelers or AB backing that up it's just more wild speculation. Either way some of you, like you, are not able to differentiate between missing practice and missing a game.

I'm done with this subject because I've covered it ad naseaum weeks ago.

If Tomlin had let him play he'd have played. I'll to to my grave saying that's not making yourself unavailable to play or quitting on the team but to each their own.

You really expect a coach to allow a player to skip practices for several days, not answer his calls, and then play him when he shows up on Sunday?   

From Rotoworld:

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/11415/antonio-brown

NBC Denver's Mike Klis reports the Broncos are not interested in trading for Antonio Brown.

Klis said he got an "emphatic" no on the matter last week and nothing has changed since. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Monday that the Broncos were "among the teams who have appeared the most intrigued." The Broncos have a desperate, desperate need at receiver.

RELATED: 

Denver Broncos

SOURCE: Mike Klis on Twitter

Mar 4, 2019, 11:32 AM

33 minutes ago, menobrown said:

AB said it himself in the interview.

3 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

You really expect a coach to allow a player to skip practices for several days, not answer his calls, and then play him when he shows up on Sunday?   

I really think AB had been allowed to get away with so much he thought that to be the case.

Also he did not skip practice for a few days,  at most only unexcused practice he missed was the Saturday walk thru.

2 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

AB said it himself in the interview.

Right and not sure if you caught the context of why I said that but it was to say he was actually hurting and that, not having his feelings hurt, was the reason he left practice. I just assumed Leroy is saying AB is lying. He might be. I don't know.