What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (8 Viewers)

He did this to himself. Report or retire or do more dumb #### and get suspended. 
He won’t “retire;” he already feels like Pitt is being unfair, he’s not going to make it easy on them by quietly going away.  If they won’t work out a trade that he likes, he’ll keep doing what he has been doing.  Forcing the Steelers to cut him.  If they don’t cut him, and he’s smart (but that seems like a BIG if recently), he won’t do enough to validate a suspension, but he will make the team chemistry & locker room a ####ty situation, and Pitt will have ANOTHER ruined season (of Ben’s dwindling prime) because of their inability to work things out with one of their star players.

I will never understand being mad at someone for where they decide to work or how they handle their career. Like imagine millions of people getting upset because you quit a job or transfer positions. 
He had a choice, and chose to work for the Steelers. 

I will never understand being mad at someone for where they decide to work or how they handle their career. Like imagine millions of people getting upset because you quit a job or transfer positions. 
Steeler fandom goes above and beyond.  The name on the front of the jersey matters more than the one on the back.  That being said, AB is being a ##### in this situation, IMO,

He has an employment contract governed by a collective bargaining agreement whose salary is directly impacted by the good will of fans who spend money and time creating value in the nfl. If he was a free agent, that is different. He can try to use leverage to get what he wants, but he has gone about it terribly. 

If I was a  shareholder in a publically traded company whose CEO did something to hurt the company I would be mad. If a co-worker wanted to leave my company and went about it in an unprofessional way, I would be mad at them too. 

Do workers get traded for draft picks where you work?

do millions of people pay to watch you work?

He has an employment contract governed by a collective bargaining agreement whose salary is directly impacted by the good will of fans who spend money and time creating value in the nfl. If he was a free agent, that is different. He can try to use leverage to get what he wants, but he has gone about it terribly. 

If I was a  shareholder in a publically traded company whose CEO did something to hurt the company I would be mad. If a co-worker wanted to leave my company and went about it in an unprofessional way, I would be mad at them too. 
And teams rip up those contracts whenever they feel like.  I'll never understand why fans side with the billionaire aholes that own teams.

And teams rip up those contracts whenever they feel like.  I'll never understand why fans side with the billionaire aholes that own teams.

I’ll never understand guys who make these kinds of statements because they either don’t or won’t understand the concepts of signing bonuses or guaranteed money.  There is risk on both sides of the equation.

This isn’t a government union job, where underperforming or ineffective workers are rewarded with continued employment and benefits.

No they don’t. They adhere to the terms of the contract, allowing for its termination, and the rules of the collective bargaining agreement. If you want better contracts, blame your union or negotiate better terms if you have the leverage. 

He had a choice, and chose to work for the Steelers. 

Do workers get traded for draft picks where you work?
No I also don't wear a helmet at my job. What does that have to do with anything?

He's not your co-worker though and he's a not a CEO. He is unhappy and in most careers if someone was unhappy, they could quit and apply to work for another company with similar pay. If they hated their fellow coworkers at the restaurant than they could quit and work at a new restaurant for similar pay. The NFL basically has a monopoly on pro football though so the only way to move to a new organization is to demand a trade. Also the NFL isn't a normal job. He is employed by the Steelers but he really works for the NFL. He isn't demanding to get out of NFL job, he just wants to be transferred to a different office. 

do millions of people pay to watch you work?
I don't see what that has to do with anything. It's still just his job. 

Um yes, yes it is. Dip sh@@ did it to himself. 

I’ll never understand guys who make these kinds of statements because they either don’t or won’t understand the concepts of signing bonuses or guaranteed money.  There is risk on both sides of the equation.

This isn’t a government union job, where underperforming or ineffective workers are rewarded with continued employment and benefits.
Is there anything against in his contract that says he can't ask for a trade?

I can and do.  Your last paragraph is exactly right.  

No they don’t. They adhere to the terms of the contract, allowing for its termination, and the rules of the collective bargaining agreement. If you want better contracts, blame your union or negotiate better terms if you have the leverage. 
Last reply on this but if a team can decide their situation has changed such that they won't fulfill a contract, so can a player.  It's really not that difficult to understand.

That perhaps your expectations of a typical workplace don’t apply to the NFL?  But you knew that already, right?
I don't think that has anything to do with the situation- which was my point.  He wants to get transferred to a different NFL branch. It is something that happens all the time in many workforces. They may decide to transfer him, not transfer him, cut him, whatever. However asking for a transfer is not something people should hate someone for. 

He can only go so far with that.  He's under contract and they don't have to trade him.

It's looking more and more right now that they won't.

Ask Keyshawn Johnson how that works out.
It probably will work out poorly for him. Look at Bell. It doesn't mean a person should hate him or bad mouth him on the internet. 

However asking for a transfer is not something people should hate someone for. 
Clearly it's more complicated than that - you see that right?  Can we be peeved at the way he is going about it?  How about miffled?  What is the appropriate level of displeasure we are allowed to have regarding how he's going about it?

I don't think that has anything to do with the situation- which was my point.  He wants to get transferred to a different NFL branch. It is something that happens all the time in many workforces. They may decide to transfer him, not transfer him, cut him, whatever. However asking for a transfer is not something people should hate someone for. 

*sigh*  And when transfers are granted, the receiving branch has to compensate the donating branch equitably, right?

We can do this all day.  Or rather you can.  I’m pretty much done with it.

It probably will work out poorly for him. Look at Bell. It doesn't mean a person should hate him or bad mouth him on the internet. 
I don't hate him.  I love him for all he's done for the Steelers.  I won't be burning jerseys any time soon.

That said, it doesn't mean I can't think he's been acting like a complete idiot and hurting both himself and the Steelers in the process.

Clearly it's more complicated than that - you see that right?  Can we be peeved at the way he is going about it?  How about miffled?  What is the appropriate level of displeasure we are allowed to have regarding how he's going about it?
Oh sure I get being miffed or disappointed but there are people saying he's dead to them, they hate him and much much worse

The branch analogy is a little lacking. The NFL has franchisees and a monopsony on labor, but it's not like a movement to the same company but just at a different location. The franchises all run differently to the degree the NFL lets them.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't hate him.  I love him for all he's done for the Steelers.  I won't be burning jerseys any time soon.

That said, it doesn't mean I can't think he's been acting like a complete idiot and hurting both himself and the Steelers in the process.

I agree. I don't get it and he does seem to be acting weird. I hope it's all a charade to get a trade and not some kind of mental breakdown. 

I can and do.  Your last paragraph is exactly right.  

Last reply on this but if a team can decide their situation has changed such that they won't fulfill a contract, so can a player.  It's really not that difficult to understand.
You don’t seem to understand how contracts or collective bargaining works. Nobody is breaching or not fulfilling their contract when a player is cut or released. There are agreed upon terms within the individual contract and cba that govern. They are negotiated points. 

The branch analogy is a little lacking. The NFL has franchisees and a monopsony on labor, but it's not like a movement to the same company but just at a different location. The franchises all run differently to the degree the NFL lets them.  
I know it's not a perfect analogy. He is paid by the Steelers but his contract is with the NFL as a joint unit. It's a more complex situation but I thought it was a decent rough analogy. Also the monopsony is one of the reasons why players do these sorts of things. There is no other NFL he can work at. Most of us can walk out of our jobs and seek similar employment somewhere else. NFL players have no other options.

I'm a Packer fan from the great north so I can't say I have followed Antonio Brown's career but a few years ago the national coverage always painted him as a well liked player. In the last year that has changed to he is selfish and has to be a #1. I'm not sure what it really is?

With the latest news I wonder how this will end? I suspect this refusal to sign a long term deal with the Bills means the Steelers will get less for him in a trade. Does he end up going somewhere for a 3rd or a 4th with no guarantee that the team getting him can extend his contract? Do the Steelers get stubborn and say you have a year left you play for us or no one? I suspect he gets traded for around a 3rd round pick with no guarantee that he will sign a contract extension. What are the latest thoughts?

Oh sure I get being miffed or disappointed but there are people saying he's dead to them, they hate him and much much worse

I did a search.  The only people in this thread using “hate” attached to Brown are people like you accusing others of hating him, or people responding to your comments or others like it specifically stating that they don’t hate Brown but do dislike his behavior in this whole situation.  In fact, the only other time “hate” is used in any other reference in this thread is a comment that Brown is going to rethink his hate for his QB in PIT if he has to play with a WAS QB.

I'm a Packer fan from the great north so I can't say I have followed Antonio Brown's career but a few years ago the national coverage always painted him as a well liked player. In the last year that has changed to he is selfish and has to be a #1. I'm not sure what it really is?

With the latest news I wonder how this will end? I suspect this refusal to sign a long term deal with the Bills means the Steelers will get less for him in a trade. Does he end up going somewhere for a 3rd or a 4th with no guarantee that the team getting him can extend his contract? Do the Steelers get stubborn and say you have a year left you play for us or no one? I suspect he gets traded for around a 3rd round pick with no guarantee that he will sign a contract extension. What are the latest thoughts?
The 49'ers make the most sense.  Their brass  is young and probably more suited to dealing with someone like Brown, plus there won't be any question who is number 1 on that team.  I also like Green Bay, but in my mind Adams is the #1 on that team and that probably wouldn't change.

I wish this didn’t keep needing repeated but why would the Steelers take a $20 mil cap hit for a 3rd or 4th round pick? They’re better off with the cap space and dealing with him come camp.

I could see the Steelers digging in. They did it with Bell last year.  Especially if Brown killed the deal by not being willing to sign an extension to get the trade done. They now can say we tried, you didn't do your part. Play here or sit out a year. This could get ugly.

I did a search.  The only people in this thread using “hate” attached to Brown are people like you accusing others of hating him, or people responding to your comments or others like it specifically stating that they don’t hate Brown but do dislike his behavior in this whole situation.  In fact, the only other time “hate” is used in any other reference in this thread is a comment that Brown is going to rethink his hate for his QB in PIT if he has to play with a WAS QB.
Fair enough, I am likely conflating here with comments read on Twitter.

I know it's not a perfect analogy. He is paid by the Steelers but his contract is with the NFL as a joint unit. It's a more complex situation but I thought it was a decent rough analogy. Also the monopsony is one of the reasons why players do these sorts of things. There is no other NFL he can work at. Most of us can walk out of our jobs and seek similar employment somewhere else. NFL players have no other options.
Yeah, I was being a little nitpicky.

The roster bonus is creating an artificial deadline.  Teams who are interested think the Steelers will sell low because of his antics and because of the roster bonus.

If he's not traded and the Steelers pay the bonus, there's no longer any incentive to move him for anything that doesn't make sense to the Steelers and the market price will increase again.  

He may not get traded until draft day, or later even.

Users who are viewing this thread