What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (4 Viewers)

Everyone - keep the discussion on Antonio Brown.

And replying to people not discussing Antonio Brown is wrong here too.

I think it's still possible he is moved shortly for anything at or better than what compensatory pick they could get in a year with no guaranteed contract extension. They all move on and the pick is a year earlier than the compensatory pick. If it doesn't happen soon this could drag on a long time.
Listen man... the cap hit the Steelers take is 20 mil. That’s money that can be used on free agents. It’s not about the money, it’s about the GD cap hit. They’re not eating $20 mil to piss away one of the best WR’s in the league to get a 3rd rounder or below. That’s silly. It’s a better move to just play chicken with him in hopes he screws up and they can either suspend with or without pay or void the contract if some sort of dereliction happens. 

He's under contract.

He's likely a HOF player.

They're asking a first rounder, but would probably take a second with additional compensation.

"Bargain Basement" is 3rd or below.

They've said all along they'll trade him 'if it makes sense for the Steelers'

It won't make sense for less.  

So they put the ball back in his court.  If he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid.  His choice.
I can see him getting the 2005 TO suspension treatment this season since he will most certainly lose his last few braincells f he has to play for the Steelers.

I'll put it at 60-40.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown ####### the Steelers is awesome. The Steelers are in a tough spot. The last thing they want is another star player sitting out all year on them. Hope he does it and teaches the greedy steelers another lesson. They need to treat their players better. 
LOL - so wrong.

Steelers made AB the highest paid WR in the league at one point.  Had Bell signed his long term contract offer he would have been the highest paid RB in the league.  They just extended Pouncey and he is the highest paid Center in the league.  They just signed R. Foster who decided to take less money to stay with the Steelers rather than testing free agency.  Yeah, the Steelers really screw over their players.

LOL - so wrong.

Steelers made AB the highest paid WR in the league at one point.  Had Bell signed his long term contract offer he would have been the highest paid RB in the league.  They just extended Pouncey and he is the highest paid Center in the league.  They just signed R. Foster who decided to take less money to stay with the Steelers rather than testing free agency.  Yeah, the Steelers really screw over their players.
And they signed AB to a nice contract before he blew up and let Emmanuel Sanders walk. 

LOL - so wrong.

Yep another player giving the greedy steelers a discount. AB out played his contract for years. Lets see how they screw this AB situation up. It's real easy.....trade Brown where he wants for a 3rd and wash their hands of it. They won't though. To greedy. 

Yep another player giving the greedy steelers a discount. AB out played his contract for years. Lets see how they screw this AB situation up. It's real easy.....trade Brown where he wants for a 3rd and wash their hands of it. They won't though. To greedy. 
LOL.  I mentioned 4 players and you focus on the only one that was not paid as the highest paid player at his position.  I included R. Foster to show that not every player thinks the Steelers are dysfunctional.

Couldn't the Steelers just as easy screw him by not trading him, then bench him and let him rot in 2019?  Or suspend him if he does something to deserve it.
Don't understand how the Steelers can 'screw' Brown at this point?  They gave him a $68 M contract including a $19 M signing bonus.

As I understand it, they could suspend him for at most 4 games without pay.  Otherwise, they will pay him $12 M to 'rot' as you say.

I can only hope to be 'screwed' that badly.

Question, does AB not have a suspension hanging over his head with the incident with the furniture throwing and also a domestic assault incident or has the nfl already investigated them and it’s done? Just curious because wondering if those incidents aren’t probably a huge reason more teams are not interested in him. 

Question, does AB not have a suspension hanging over his head with the incident with the furniture throwing and also a domestic assault incident or has the nfl already investigated them and it’s done? Just curious because wondering if those incidents aren’t probably a huge reason more teams are not interested in him. 
I recall hearing the incident but I don't recall hearing anything about a looming suspension.

Brown ####### the Steelers is awesome. The Steelers are in a tough spot. The last thing they want is another star player sitting out all year on them. Hope he does it and teaches the greedy steelers another lesson. They need to treat their players better. 
:fishing:

Don't understand how the Steelers can 'screw' Brown at this point?  They gave him a $68 M contract including a $19 M signing bonus.

As I understand it, they could suspend him for at most 4 games without pay.  Otherwise, they will pay him $12 M to 'rot' as you say.

I can only hope to be 'screwed' that badly.
It screws him if he wants to play football, but from his recent comment he could walk away from football and be fine with it.

Right now the Steelers cap hits for AB the next 3 years are $22, $18, and $19.5 million. If we trade him this season, that changes to a dead cap hit of $21 million with $0 in 2020 and 2021. If AB retires, I believe there is still $12 million of his prorated signing bonus that applies to 2019, 2020 and 2021, so he would have to pay that back if the Steelers fight him on it. So if he retires we lose any possible trade compensation, but would gain $12 million in cap space over the next 3 years. I would definitely rather have a pick.

I think two main possibilities are AB plays for the Steelers, or gets traded, I don't think retirement is on the table because I think the Steelers would balk first and trade him for less to somewhere he thinks is worthy of him.

Also, hopefully by now the Steelers have a list of "acceptable" locations if they're going to allow him to dictate trade terms.

I don't know, but he did say he's fine with walking away from football.  I think you have to take him seriously if he doesn't get what he wants.
This is all about money - always has been.

"MMQB's Albert Breer reports Antonio Brown wants to be the highest-paid receiver in the league."

I don't know, but he did say he's fine with walking away from football.  I think you have to take him seriously if he doesn't get what he wants.
If the contract was written properly, he would probably owe a portion of the signing bonus back to the Steelers should he choose to retire(not due to injury). 

Zero chance that AB is giving any money back.  This is all about him wanting more money or as he says, more guaranteed money.

moondog said:
This is all about money - always has been.

"MMQB's Albert Breer reports Antonio Brown wants to be the highest-paid receiver in the league."
He was, 2 years ago when he signed the deal.  Want to be the highest paid every year... then you don't get the security of a long term deal.  You can't have both(though if he gets the Steelers to cut or trade him and another team renegotiates with him, I suppose he can).

Steeler said:
LOL.  I mentioned 4 players and you focus on the only one that was not paid as the highest paid player at his position.  I included R. Foster to show that not every player thinks the Steelers are dysfunctional.
Two of their biggest offensive stars wanted out. There's reasons for that. 

He was, 2 years ago when he signed the deal.  Want to be the highest paid every year... then you don't get the security of a long term deal.  You can't have both(though if he gets the Steelers to cut or trade him and another team renegotiates with him, I suppose he can).
And currently he is the number two highest paid WR at 17M/yr average.   OBJ is highest at 18M/yr average.  Of course the big difference is guaranteed money.

I think I discovered the truth. AB is throwing out these ridiculous desires and saying no to trades because secretly he wants to stay a Steeler, but he feels like he can't back down. 

I will say Brown not helping his case asking to be the highest paid WR in the league. He doesn't deserve that at this point in his career. If he really wants out of Pittsburgh he should just negotiate for some kind of signing bonus say 3-4 million and just play under his current non guaranteed contract that he has 3/36 left on. That would make him way more attractive to teams because they could just cut him after this year.....

Two of their biggest offensive stars wanted out. There's reasons for that. 
The reason Bell sat is he wanted more than the Steelers were willing to pay. They offered him a contract that would have made him the highest paid RB in the league by a few MM a year. He wanted RB1 + WR2 money. If that's what he values himself at, more power to him. I don't blame either side. Bell will soon find out his value.

Brown signed a contract that made him the highest paid WR in the league. He's choosing to walk with a few years left. That's his choice but the Steelers owe him nothing more than the contract Brown signed.

I'm all for players getting paid. The owners and the league print money. But if you signed the contract don't act like a child and throw a fit you're not getting your way a later. The Steelers have every right to turn the screws on Brown otherwise you'll see this behavior every year.

There's a reason the 31 other teams in the league don't want the best WR in the league for the past 6 years.

Field Yates‏Verified @FieldYates 3m3 minutes ago

Antonio Brown on his Instagram live:

"Hey I'm about to announce my new team in like a little bit alright... Something positive is about to be happening real soon, trust me. Stay by the phone... Big announcement coming soon. Big announcement coming soon! Mr. Big Checks."

Field Yates‏Verified @FieldYates 3m3 minutes ago

Antonio Brown on his Instagram live:

"Hey I'm about to announce my new team in like a little bit alright... Something positive is about to be happening real soon, trust me. Stay by the phone... Big announcement coming soon. Big announcement coming soon! Mr. Big Checks."
Working with Chuckie Cheese?  

Sounds like this is close to happening for Oakland.
Was about to post same thing. They are making good use of their beat writers. Yesterday a few of them started putting out tweets early in day talking about his contract being an issue and putting cold water on the trade. Last few hours they sparked back up with talk like it could be coming down.

Users who are viewing this thread