What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (12 Viewers)

It has to be tough tip-toeing around someone like AB, but it would be cool if someone stepped in and was the adult here.  Gruden maybe?  Gruden starts with Mayock, trys and talk him into giving a "it's overblown...AB's a competitor, I'm a competitor...." lines in the press and having AB doing the same.  Nobody apologizes, nobody has to back down.

Normally I'd brush this away with the thought that the first 10-100 game he has, all will be forgiven.  But he seems like he's going to be a major problem all season long.  His lack of self-awareness is shocking.
Seems like Mayock is already being an adult: these are the rules, these are the expectations, these are the consequences.

Brushing this under the rug just undermines whatever team structure they're trying to create, and enables more bad behavior.  The inmates run the asylum at that point.

The Raiders aren't going to cut him.  We aren't talking about a walk on WR who hasn't proved himself in the game having an argument with a GM... On the field he can still be the WR they coveted.   They will work within the limits of the contract they signed with AB to protect their team as best as possible.  Tough situation for Mayock since he needs to find a path to ensure that he isn't seen as a push over GM, but also can't make a move to upset the locker room with the AB supporters.  

Now, AB could up and retire... sit out a year..  Who knows where he is at... helmet + fines + what comes next = maybe enough to call it a career?

Unfortunately, I would be shocked if there weren't teams lining up for his services. I really wish that weren't the case and teams would black ball him to set an example.
Generally I would agree with you but his behavior has been SO over the top I'm wondering if that would be the case.  Since week 17 last year he quit on the Steelers, forced his way out of Pittsburgh and he's been a total ##### while in Oakland.  Nothing this guy has done recently says "team player" at all.  I mean, he can't even toe the line on a new team for $30 million dollars!  What would make a new team think THEY can control him?

The Raiders aren't going to cut him.  We aren't talking about a walk on WR who hasn't proved himself in the game having an argument with a GM... On the field he can still be the WR they coveted.   They will work within the limits of the contract they signed with AB to protect their team as best as possible.  Tough situation for Mayock since he needs to find a path to ensure that he isn't seen as a push over GM, but also can't make a move to upset the locker room with the AB supporters.  

Now, AB could up and retire... sit out a year..  Who knows where he is at... helmet + fines + what comes next = maybe enough to call it a career?
If their only chance to void the contract is to cut him before Monday's game, I think there's a real chance they do just that. 

How much more do you need to see before it's obvious this $%^& show isn't going away.

Thinking this will come down to Gruden - would think he wants to find a way to keep him, and he's the one ultimately with power over Mayock, right? Implicit if not explicit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am guessing we will hear an announcement of maybe an indefinite suspension. I then expect the Raiders to take action to attempt to void the contract. 

Seems like Mayock is already being an adult: these are the rules, these are the expectations, these are the consequences.

Brushing this under the rug just undermines whatever team structure they're trying to create, and enables more bad behavior.  The inmates run the asylum at that point.
....which worked perfectly when helmets were made of leather.  In today's NFL you have to look for 'win/win' situations wherever you can and choose to really dig in when the time is right.  I'm a law and order guy, so I'm not suggesting Mayock should let everything slide...and maybe this is that line in the sand that Mayock wants to draw.  

As OJ Simpson just tweeted, this just verifies everything Pittsburgh said about the guy (juice also said he drafted Andrew Luck 20 minutes before he retired...when will he EVER get a break?)

well that was a fast press conference with the  GM on NFL Network a few min ago... they said nothing... I feel like they wanna resolve this 

Generally I would agree with you but his behavior has been SO over the top I'm wondering if that would be the case.  Since week 17 last year he quit on the Steelers, forced his way out of Pittsburgh and he's been a total ##### while in Oakland.  Nothing this guy has done recently says "team player" at all.  I mean, he can't even toe the line on a new team for $30 million dollars!  What would make a new team think THEY can control him?
And this doesn't even cover his off the field stuff and behavior on social media.  Mr. Big Chest is a mess right now and I don't think there is anyone that can control him.

I can’t join my fellow Steelers fans who seem to be getting some pleasure out of this. I’m just sad about the whole thing. He’s been the best wide receiver I’ve seen since Jerry Rice, which would make him the 2nd best WR of all time. Now he appears to have a screw loose. Maybe he always did, I have no idea. But I hate to see him derail what’s been an extraordinary career. 

Mayock can and should void Antonio Brown's contract for conduct detrimental to the team. They would only lose a 3rd round pick and potentially save 30 MIL.

....which worked perfectly when helmets were made of leather.  In today's NFL you have to look for 'win/win' situations wherever you can and choose to really dig in when the time is right.  I'm a law and order guy, so I'm not suggesting Mayock should let everything slide...and maybe this is that line in the sand that Mayock wants to draw.  

As OJ Simpson just tweeted, this just verifies everything Pittsburgh said about the guy (juice also said he drafted Andrew Luck 20 minutes before he retired...when will he EVER get a break?)
How bad of a guy are you when OJ thinks your a bad apple??😯

the guy has a screw loose.   Can you imagine him after a game when he gets two targets & 0 catches.  this is just a short term derailment before the inevitable train wreck IMHO.

IF they cut him.  Who is the benefactor?  Williams? 
Not sure there is one. Williams would then draw opponents best corner, no one else really opens up the field, ultimately the entire offense is less effective. So I don't think there is a better outcome for Williams other than him becoming the #1 WR in title (but posting worse numbers as the #1 than he would have as the #2 with Brown there).

This is not entertaining in any way. There is no player more annoying than Antonio Clown right now. This is just ridiculous and far surpasses any antics by former WR divas. 

I've already seen and heard that it is potentially possible for OAK to get out from under the AB contract where he gets $0 dollars and they take $0 cap hit. The question becomes if this nuclear option is what the Raiders want.

didnt they get AB to see if Carr really can throw the ball deep at all... no AB bye bye Carr going Deep? Gruden eyeing any QB's with the 1st pick of the 2020 Draft 

I've already seen and heard that it is potentially possible for OAK to get out from under the AB contract where he gets $0 dollars and they take $0 cap hit. The question becomes if this nuclear option is what the Raiders want.
When the player threatens the GM with physical harm, and basically tries to show him up by punting a ball and telling him to fine him for that, not sure if they could work things out that easily.

I say he's suspended and OAK looks to get away from this nutjob.

Users who are viewing this thread