What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (8 Viewers)

I doubt this very much. Dude needs mental help. They should 5150 him to prevent self-harm at this point.

I am not joking. 

He just pissed away $29+ million dollars. After a sincere apology that would have ended this fiasco.

That’s not the act of a mentally well person.!

He allegedly gave a heartfelt apology yesterday. Then the Raiders voided all of his guaranteed money.

He allegedly gave a heartfelt apology yesterday. Then the Raiders voided all of his guaranteed money.
The apology to the team was required, and wasn't close enough of a response to undo the damage of his outburst on the field.  

You see, the term Crocodile Tears means:

A false, insincere display of emotion such as a hypocrite crying fake tears of grief.

The phrase derives from an ancient belief that crocodiles shed tears while consuming their prey, and as such is present in many modern languages, especially in Europe where it was introduced through Latin. While crocodiles do have tear ducts, they weep to lubricate their eyes, typically when they have been out of water for a long time and their eyes begin to dry out. However, evidence suggests this could also be triggered by feeding.

After he posted a secretly recorded video, no? 

Regardless, I don’t blame the Raiders at all.

after a month of BS, that was what literally everyone recommended doing. 

If there is actually a major rift between Gruden and Mayock, shame on the sports media for not getting that story out at this point. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the case but the national media guys are protecting both Gruden and Mayock due to them being former media guys.

After he posted a secretly recorded video, no? 

Regardless, I don’t blame the Raiders at all.

after a month of BS, that was what literally everyone recommended doing. 

I think the timeline yesterday was apology, video, fine by Raiders.

I don't blame the Raiders either. 

But I also don't think that AB's reaction today to the void of his guaranteed money is particularly surprising or crazy.

The guaranteed money isn’t “voided” but is “voidable” now I assume to an extent. And that is future earnings.  Because there is no suspension and he will be active at 4pm today, his salary this year would be guaranteed  

Nobody else will give him guaranteed money, unless it is the XFL. 

You may have been joking, but you called it. Another letter. more fines, taking away his guarantees, set him off again.
This is no longer entertaining. Seriously worried about the guy.
:bowtie:  Pretty clear Mayock was not going to let him skate by without a penalty for the detrimental conduct.  Stick a fork in him, he’s done.

I am curious: What are AB owners doing this weekend?  The Raiders don't play until Monday night.  If this is not resolved before games Sunday, are you sitting AB?
In my opinion, he’s not playing Monday night, and even reports now are saying he won’t play. AB doesn’t want to be a Raider anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
@FieldYates: Antonio Brown burned his feet in a cryotherapy chamber and it’s about the 20th craziest thing he’s done this offseason.

@AlyssaLang: I am convinced there has never been a more insane story in sports. Manti Te’o’s fake girlfriend feels completely normal compared to this.

I think he misunderstood his compromise. His salary is guaranteed this year if active at 4pm. So raiders agreed not to suspend and grant him that money. But the fine allows them to void the future earnings. And he either didn’t pay attention to his agent or is just dumb. And now is asking for a release when nobody outside of the xfl will give him guaranteed money now. 

@AlbertBreer

The language in Raiders WR Antonio Brown's contract: "If at any time Player does not report to Club; does not practice or play with Club; leaves Club w/o prior written approval ... then player shall be in default and the Skill, Injury and Cap guarantee shall be null and void."

:lol:  

@AlbertBreer

The language in Raiders WR Antonio Brown's contract: "If at any time Player does not report to Club; does not practice or play with Club; leaves Club w/o prior written approval ... then player shall be in default and the Skill, Injury and Cap guarantee shall be null and void."

:lol:  
Raiders arent as dumb as they seemed 

:bowtie:  Pretty clear Mayock was not going to let him skate by without a penalty for the detrimental conduct.  Stick a fork in him, he’s done.
Not clear to him, it seems.  Maybe Rosenhaus convinced him an apology would wipe the slate clean.

I think he misunderstood his compromise. His salary is guaranteed this year if active at 4pm. 
Is this certain? Something Tom Pellisero said sounded like this is no longer the case for him.

In the mean time, I'm just annoyed, because I tuned in to Good Morning Football to get NFL news and they've been talking about just this for an hour. 

Wow.  Crazy.

The Raiders just turned the AB contract into a weekly play-to-pay contract.  If they release him, no cap hit.  Signing bonus was paid by Pittsburg. Checkmate.  

Like I keep saying, the Raiders knew who they were dealing with. 

Never seen anything like this.  

Are you serious? Lots of teams will try to sign him to an incentive laden contract.
I think it's a smaller number than you think.

A full third of the leagues are in "building" mode trying to build a team culture to go deep into the playoffs. I don't think they touch him with a 10' pole because AB doesn't put them over the top and he's probably gone by the time they can contend. Then you have the top third of the league that think they are legit SB contenders that probably don't want to possibly torpedo their chances with this amount of chaos. It's that middle ~10 teams stuck in "playoff contender" but not really SB contender no-mans-land that might consider him. Even then, how many Jerry Jones are there out there? It's not just the money. It's possibly flushing the 2019 season down the toilet if AB implodes for the second team before the 2019 season even begins. It's tough to have a offensive game plan around one of the best WR's in the NFL.... but you can never quite be sure that he will be available. Most coaches would rather just pass than hold their breath all season long.

It kind of reminds me of the "LOTS of teams would improve their team by signing Kaepernick as a backup"..... right before they didn't. The NFL is a conservative league with a bunch of old guys that are sure that their system will win a SB if only these 20 somethings would execute what they want. AB doesn't come across as a guy that wants to listen to anyone right now no matter how much it hurts himself. They really don't want any distractions from their message/scheme/etc.

If there is actually a major rift between Gruden and Mayock, shame on the sports media for not getting that story out at this point. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the case but the national media guys are protecting both Gruden and Mayock due to them being former media guys.
I think that they are both media guys and know how to shut up may have more to do with it. 

I’m betting that this gets resolved as a “misunderstanding”... and then something else happens.  Monday is a loooong ways away.

Why in God’s name do you keep talking about josh Gordon in here? This is like you’re 10th post about him. 
au contraire.. for no apparent reason (aside from me being in here) i was peppered with "this is no worse than what gordon did" posts early on and continuing thru this debacle.

i did NOT bring him up. but i will take my shots where they are available.

Users who are viewing this thread