Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

valhallan

Tapatalk

32 posts in this topic

This has to be one of the largest forums on the web without Tapatalk integration. Both Joe and David acknowledged months ago the need for this feature and claimed they were working on it:

Dumb (and maybe unrelated) question.

Are you guys adding support for a mobile app called Tapatalk for your forums? (that would be awesome if you did)

Yes we were waiting for Invision to support it. They now do, but it will take updating our forums. I believe Keith has that scheduled a few weeks from now.

I'm pretty excited about this feature. I'm glad to see message boards get some love on new technology stuff like this. With all the foursquare / twitter / buzz / facebook social media cool things, it seems like the good old tried and true boards get overlooked sometimes. For lots of things, they're a great social media outlet.

J

So I ask, where is it? Why the hold up?
1 person likes this

Tapatalk doesn't support the version of Invision Board that we're running, so the board would need to be upgraded to support it. But upgrading the board was judged to be a lower priority than some other things we were working on over the summer.

So why not upgrade it now? Because the season starts this week.

The board takes on a huge load of traffic on Sunday mornings between 10 AM and 12 AM Central time during the runup to the games. This load is heaviest for weeks 1-6 of the season. Performing an upgrade this close to the season would be a risky move because the new version of Invision brings many changes and additional features with it. Some of those features are useful and some are annoying, but many are merely bloat.

At the same time, there are generally system optimizations included in those upgrades. There are a few in this upgrade that will be potentially useful to us.

So the net impact of an upgrade is variance in performance. The board may become less efficient or it may become more efficient, but its performance profile will change significantly. In general, the overall impact on system performance of a software upgrade given no upgrade to hardware is negative. And unfortunately, the larger the board is, the bigger the impact of the upgrade.

In my opinion, we're too close to the season to perform the upgrade right now.

Gotcha. I understand that it's too late now; I just wondered why it had been on the to-do list but never happened.

Thanks for the inside story. I hope it gets some priority next off-season, as I'm sure there are many more FBGs like me that spend more time on the go than at home and would like to participate in the discussion.

The next upgrade window for the board will begin after the NFL playoffs.

Sweet! I too am looking forward to the upgrade!

Bump.

Sweet! I too am looking forward to the upgrade!

Any update on this?

Any update on this?

:crickets:I'm new to Tapatalk, and it is fantastic. Why this is still ignored here is beyond me.

Any update on this?

:crickets:I'm new to Tapatalk, and it is fantastic. Why this is still ignored here is beyond me.
Now that I'm using iOS & android I would love to be able to use tapatlk here.

Any update on this?

Now that I'm using iOS & android I would love to be able to use tapatlk here.
:goodposting: it is time to get this working

FBG is getting to the point of being almost painful on mobile safari

:sadbanana:

Memphis Foundry, correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears Tapatalk installation on an IP.Board 3 forum, such as Footballguys's, would take no more than 1 hour to complete.

Instructions I'm referencing are here: http://www.tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php

Would you be willing to complete installation soon? The latest version of the Tapatalk app (v2) is awesome and is greatly superior to the forum's basic mobile skin.

I'd imagine you're going to have to do it at some point... why not now?

Memphis Foundry,

Can we get some type of update? It would be much appreciated.

1 person likes this

Another month has passed, still no response from Memphis Foundry...

FBG is getting to the point of being almost painful on mobile safari:sadbanana:

Yep, basically I only access these forums by PC now. That would EASILY change with tapatalk!!!!

WtF does FBG not have tapatalk yet? It seriously takes 10 minutes to install. I've installed it on my own forums.

If you aren't going to do it, just tell us. But you all are missing out on a LOT of mobile traffic. The whole website SUCKS on mobile.

Bumping this thread to see about getting Tapatalk integrated into the FBG forums

It's amazing this request was made over two years ago. A league member asked me to install it on our SMF board this summer. It has been awesome and has made our league much more enjoyable. I search periodically for Footballguys in the Tapatalk app to find nothing. It was a completely painless install for me. I don't see why FBG would be dragging their feet for two years on this. There's no downside to it at all.

It's amazing this request was made over two years ago. A league member asked me to install it on our SMF board this summer. It has been awesome and has made our league much more enjoyable. I search periodically for Footballguys in the Tapatalk app to find nothing. It was a completely painless install for me. I don't see why FBG would be dragging their feet for two years on this. There's no downside to it at all.

1st bump for 2013

1st bump for 2013
I'll look into it after doing the first board upgrade this offseason.The install is painless, but I have several concerns with running it -- the biggest is that I've seen it cause performance issues on busy Invision Boards. We don't currently have any third-party plugins on the boards because they generally don't scale very well for large databases or extremely high post volumes.The other issue I have with the software is the annoying popup you get when visiting the mobile version of a Tapatalk-enabled forum and the popover Javascript you get on a regular browser. The popup is supposed to be removable, which would definitely weigh in its favor if true.

1st bump for 2013
I'll look into it after doing the first board upgrade this offseason.The install is painless, but I have several concerns with running it -- the biggest is that I've seen it cause performance issues on busy Invision Boards. We don't currently have any third-party plugins on the boards because they generally don't scale very well for large databases or extremely high post volumes.The other issue I have with the software is the annoying popup you get when visiting the mobile version of a Tapatalk-enabled forum and the popover Javascript you get on a regular browser. The popup is supposed to be removable, which would definitely weigh in its favor if true.
Thanks for a response Memphis. From the user end I've found tapatalk to be a useful app but I wasn't aware of the performance issue problems so I can definitely see your concern there . I agree the mobile popup is a PIA but never encountered the javascript popover , another nuisance .

Thought I'd give this a bump now that the boards have been upgraded.

1st bump for 2013

I'll look into it after doing the first board upgrade this offseason.

The install is painless, but I have several concerns with running it -- the biggest is that I've seen it cause performance issues on busy Invision Boards. We don't currently have any third-party plugins on the boards because they generally don't scale very well for large databases or extremely high post volumes.

The other issue I have with the software is the annoying popup you get when visiting the mobile version of a Tapatalk-enabled forum and the popover Javascript you get on a regular browser. The popup is supposed to be removable, which would definitely weigh in its favor if true.

I can understand your caution, but there are larger/busier Invision Boards which ARE Tapatalk enabled. According to big-boards.com...

FBG has a total of 8,441,200 post.

The forum S2KI has a total of 19,094,932 posts --> 10.7 MILLION more posts than FBG

The forum Runescape Community has a total of 12,015,943 posts --> 3.6 MILLION more posts than FBG

FBG has been missing the boat the past 2.5 YEARS since this topic was created. The cumulative shipment of Android devices is projected to DOUBLE within the next 3 years for a cumulative shipment of 3 BILLION devices since 2007 (source).

Now, should 0.0001 of those 3,000,000,000 devices be assessing FBG forums, that's 300,000 devices. Put into perspective, according to big-boards.com, there are currently 37,000 FBG forum members.

Now, 300k devices is on the high side, but I'm simply making the point of how prevalent Android devices are and will continue to be in the market place.

Please, take the time to get Tapatalk figured out!

1st bump for 2013

I'll look into it after doing the first board upgrade this offseason.

The install is painless, but I have several concerns with running it -- the biggest is that I've seen it cause performance issues on busy Invision Boards. We don't currently have any third-party plugins on the boards because they generally don't scale very well for large databases or extremely high post volumes.

The other issue I have with the software is the annoying popup you get when visiting the mobile version of a Tapatalk-enabled forum and the popover Javascript you get on a regular browser. The popup is supposed to be removable, which would definitely weigh in its favor if true.

I can understand your caution, but there are larger/busier Invision Boards which ARE Tapatalk enabled. According to big-boards.com...

FBG has a total of 8,441,200 post.

The forum S2KI has a total of 19,094,932 posts --> 10.7 MILLION more posts than FBG

The forum Runescape Community has a total of 12,015,943 posts --> 3.6 MILLION more posts than FBG

FBG has been missing the boat the past 2.5 YEARS since this topic was created. The cumulative shipment of Android devices is projected to DOUBLE within the next 3 years for a cumulative shipment of 3 BILLION devices since 2007 (source).

Now, should 0.0001 of those 3,000,000,000 devices be assessing FBG forums, that's 300,000 devices. Put into perspective, according to big-boards.com, there are currently 37,000 FBG forum members.

Now, 300k devices is on the high side, but I'm simply making the point of how prevalent Android devices are and will continue to be in the market place.

Please, take the time to get Tapatalk figured out!

We'll certainly continue to look at this. To be totally honest, there are other things that are taking priority over it right now. I know that's not what folks like to hear but I have to be honest with you. Memphis Foundry is my guide on this and up to now, he's not been comfortable. If he's not comfortable, it doesn't happen.
I do realize it's a value though and we will look at it with the new board upgrade. Thanks.
J

Bump for another time.. Mobile is the future, the FBG android app is blah.. Tap A Talk is the only way get to my forums. The only reason I am here this evening is I renewed my subscription to FBG.. So I ask to revisit again....

+1 for Tapatalk, or anything to improve scrolling within threads.