Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Night Hawks

Chick Fil-A

Just approved by zoning to open one in Flemington NJ. :excited::thumbup::pickle:

The wife and I went to a prospective franchisee meeting one time a few years ago. Interesting franchise model they have...

You were approved?

So here's a few of the details:

-They want approved franchisees to share their religious beliefs. Not necessarily as fanatical, but if you told them you were agnostic or Muslim, I doubt you'd be getting a franchise

-The part I found interesting is that they do all the location and build-out. You basically "run" the franchise within their parameters and give them a % of the revenues. I forget the % exactly. So basically, they get paid if you sell something, even if you're operating at a loss.

We didn't pursue the path any further because of these two major caveats:

-With very few exceptions, you can own a maximum of 1 franchise location.

-When you die, or decide to retire, THEY decide who the franchise transfers to. If I retired, and wanted to give it to my kids, I'd need Chick-fil-a approval. Likewise, I can't sell my franchise rights to someone else.

These two things greatly cap the earnings potential. They said that a good owner operator could take home $200-$300K...My wife and I felt we could do better elsewhere.

So really you don't OWN it if you don't build any equity or build the business. You can't decide to sell it to whomever you'd like; when you're done, you've made your salary, and you're done?

Sounds like you pay the franchise fee and you just become an employee of CFA?

that actually that is a very good take home for a qsr - only being able to own one is stupid, that would be a deal killer. Last, burger king killed their franchisee's with royalty payments and mandatory marketing payments. Sounds like this is similar. Only being able to own one would be the deal killer for me.

:yes: Having owned franchises before, I'll know that owning 2 is far less than 2x the work of owning 1. Basically, once you understand the learning curve associated with running one, all you need is the right people in management and you can own more and more...You can pay a good manager a solid wage to basically "run" the place and then open another and another and another. Under this model, that scalability is gone.

IMO, the risk of franchise ownership is that YOU are responsible for your own paycheck. If you f-up and the business doesn't do well, you don't do well. I feel like if you're willing to take that risk, you should be able to participate in the upside by owning more franchises if you can. I collect a regular paycheck from a large corporation now. In exchange for the stability of a paycheck that I get regardless of our performance (assumign we're not bankrupt), I acknowledge that my pay won't grow at the same rate as the business growth. Simple risk = reward. I get why CF does it this way...it's just not for me if I'm taking that kind of risk.

Are you sure about the "can't own two Chick franchises"? I have a friend of a friend that owns one and is about to own another in a close by city. He said they are making her wait 2 years but that she will have it when the OK that market.

I specifically remember the comment being basically, "With very few exceptions, our franchisees own only one franchise." So I don't think it's prohibited...but it's also not common. They did say that in certain circumstances, it happens.

Keep in mind, we went to this seminar ~2 years ago, so maybe they've changed some...

so you're in the Stockbridge area I take it?

StalkerChat

:lmao:

@Rick - no, I'm on the north side of Atlanta but lived in that area 30+ years ago. Truett's is there but I've only eaten there once. The Dwarf Houses are scattered all over metro Atlanta.

lol. I grew up in Stockbridge and my wife worked at the Truett's in high school.

How old are you? My sister graduated from Stockbridge HS in 1988.

graduated from Stockbridge HS in 2003

Just approved by zoning to open one in Flemington NJ. :excited::thumbup::pickle:

The wife and I went to a prospective franchisee meeting one time a few years ago. Interesting franchise model they have...

You were approved?

So here's a few of the details:

-They want approved franchisees to share their religious beliefs. Not necessarily as fanatical, but if you told them you were agnostic or Muslim, I doubt you'd be getting a franchise

-The part I found interesting is that they do all the location and build-out. You basically "run" the franchise within their parameters and give them a % of the revenues. I forget the % exactly. So basically, they get paid if you sell something, even if you're operating at a loss.

We didn't pursue the path any further because of these two major caveats:

-With very few exceptions, you can own a maximum of 1 franchise location.

-When you die, or decide to retire, THEY decide who the franchise transfers to. If I retired, and wanted to give it to my kids, I'd need Chick-fil-a approval. Likewise, I can't sell my franchise rights to someone else.

These two things greatly cap the earnings potential. They said that a good owner operator could take home $200-$300K...My wife and I felt we could do better elsewhere.

So really you don't OWN it if you don't build any equity or build the business. You can't decide to sell it to whomever you'd like; when you're done, you've made your salary, and you're done?

Sounds like you pay the franchise fee and you just become an employee of CFA?

that actually that is a very good take home for a qsr - only being able to own one is stupid, that would be a deal killer. Last, burger king killed their franchisee's with royalty payments and mandatory marketing payments. Sounds like this is similar. Only being able to own one would be the deal killer for me.

:yes: Having owned franchises before, I'll know that owning 2 is far less than 2x the work of owning 1. Basically, once you understand the learning curve associated with running one, all you need is the right people in management and you can own more and more...You can pay a good manager a solid wage to basically "run" the place and then open another and another and another. Under this model, that scalability is gone.

IMO, the risk of franchise ownership is that YOU are responsible for your own paycheck. If you f-up and the business doesn't do well, you don't do well. I feel like if you're willing to take that risk, you should be able to participate in the upside by owning more franchises if you can. I collect a regular paycheck from a large corporation now. In exchange for the stability of a paycheck that I get regardless of our performance (assumign we're not bankrupt), I acknowledge that my pay won't grow at the same rate as the business growth. Simple risk = reward. I get why CF does it this way...it's just not for me if I'm taking that kind of risk.

Are you sure about the "can't own two Chick franchises"? I have a friend of a friend that owns one and is about to own another in a close by city. He said they are making her wait 2 years but that she will have it when the OK that market.

I specifically remember the comment being basically, "With very few exceptions, our franchisees own only one franchise." So I don't think it's prohibited...but it's also not common. They did say that in certain circumstances, it happens.

Keep in mind, we went to this seminar ~2 years ago, so maybe they've changed some...

My cousin's husband owns 2 here locally and applied for a 3rd, but got beat out by someone else for it.

Pics of the buffet.

Thanks for the info AAA.

I'm traveling to Griffin, GA. sometime before August for work and I see that there is a Dwarf House there. I can see a Wednesday Night Breakfast Buffet in my future.

:tebow:

One question though.

Do they put the spicy chicken on the buffet or just the regular?

Also, chicken strips or just the filets?

Pics of the buffet.

Thanks for the info AAA.

I'm traveling to Griffin, GA. sometime before August for work and I see that there is a Dwarf House there. I can see a Wednesday Night Breakfast Buffet in my future.

One question though.

I'd just camp out there all day if they had nuggets....but that's not really a breakfast thing.

Pics of the buffet.

Thanks for the info AAA.

One question though.

I'd just camp out there all day if they had nuggets....but that's not really a breakfast thing.

the fried chicken in patty form is breakfast food, but if its made in nugget shape it isn't?

Only the original filet is on the buffet or at least the ones I've been to. For those who may try to go definitely call ahead and make sure they are having it. The only time that I know they are guaranteed to have it is Saturday morning.

I may need to go run 5-6 miles tomorrow morning and then hit the buffet.

the Dwarf House in Stockbridge used to have all you can eat nuggets on Tuesday(?) nights. We tore that #### up.

:excited:

Update:

As of yesterday the new Bellevue location still had a line out the door and a drive through line that was causing traffic problems on two major arterials.

Chick-Fil-A is good for fast food, but this is ridiculous.

Always like that at new places in an area. Very strange

I would totally get it if this was an In-N-Out we were talking about...

Gonna have some of their tasty hate filled chicken for lunch.

I am not sure if it is the hate or the pickle juice brine that makes it taste so good. I am going to have to experiment at home.

I would totally get it if this was an In-N-Out we were talking about...

I'd be first in line. None of those back East.

Gonna have some of their tasty hate filled chicken for lunch.

:lmao:

Pics of the buffet.

Scrambled eggs? Rookie move.

I usual go while I'm eating low-carb/Paleo so I pretty much just eat eggs and protein (bacon, sausage and glorious chicken)

When I'm not eating low-carb I'll get grits and biscuit and gravy. Their biscuits are decent - wish the grits were better too.

Pics of the buffet.

I usual go while I'm eating low-carb/Paleo so I pretty much just eat eggs and protein (bacon, sausage and glorious chicken)

When I'm not eating low-carb I'll get grits and biscuit and gravy. Their biscuits are decent - wish the grits were better too.

I really think I'd hit that buffet, and have about 8-9 chicken fillets alternately dipping them in hot sauce and gravy. Maybe a slice of bacon and a sausage patty just as a palate cleanser, but I wouldn't have any interest in eating anything else.

Pics of the buffet.

I really think I'd hit that buffet, and have about 8-9 chicken fillets alternately dipping them in hot sauce and gravy. Maybe a slice of bacon and a sausage patty just as a palate cleanser, but I wouldn't have any interest in eating anything else.

I've had eggs, 7-8 fillets and some bacon (note the fillets are the smaller ones and not the full-sized sandwich ones. But I'm still :porked: )

Chick-fil-a now has curbside delivery. Not sure how many locations but they continue to be #1 in customer service in the fast food area.

I've had curbside order taking done. For whatever reason it annoys me. Give me a few seconds to look at the menu and i'll talk into the box. Feels like you are being rushed with curbside ordering.

I've had curbside order taking done. For whatever reason it annoys me. Give me a few seconds to look at the menu and i'll talk into the box. Feels like you are being rushed with curbside ordering.

You order online - pickup curbside

Yeah, this is dumb, but also different from curbside pickup.

Chick-fil-a now has curbside delivery. Not sure how many locations but they continue to be #1 in customer service in the fast food area.

Customer service is where they excel. No one better. Never see any not packed.

I don't follow my fast food chicken very closely but are these the guys who hate the gays?

I don't follow my fast food chicken very closely but are these the guys who hate the gays?

Nope.

But I have to say one just opened by me and the line around that place is just incredible all the time. My kids love it, but I am just :shrug: . It is chicken sandwiches and nuggets that always seems to cost me $35.00

• Like 1

Nope.

But I have to say one just opened by me and the line around that place is just incredible all the time. My kids love it, but I am just :shrug: . It is chicken sandwiches and nuggets that always seems to cost me $35.00

Thanks. Which one is the chicken place that hates the gays? I could swear it was Chick Fil A...is it El Pollo Loco?

Nope.

Thanks. Which one is the chicken place that hates the gays? I could swear it was Chick Fil A...is it El Pollo Loco?

Yes it's CFA

Nope.

Pretty sure the owner said he wished all gays would die.

Nope.

Pretty sure the owner said he wished all gays would die.

Lol

The owner was an 93 year old who is dead BTW, but she held some pretty conservative values, supported traditional marriage and that homes should consist of a mom and a dad, which you could probably ask anyone that age and you would get the same answer.. The company got branded as anti-gay despite employing people from every walk of life. Heck, my 16 year old daughter's good friend is 18 and completely out and is one of the managers at the restaurant I talked about above.

And actually the opposite is happening now because Christian groups are starting to target them for being too-gay friendly for recently supporting a gay film festival.

Yeah, this is dumb, but also different from curbside pickup.

I know. Just an observation. I was picturing ordering like Sonic though initially.

Nope.

Hates gays? Damn, people will believe anything these days.

Nope.

It's astounding. Like they hope it's true. That, or just very ignorant.

Nope.

:confused:

Didn't mean to touch a nerve. All I recall is that there was a huge dust up with a chicken place and the gay community. I didn't follow it at all but there was a lot of action on the topic in the FFA IIRC. I apologize if I bothered you by bringing up a bad memory involving a fast food chicken place.

Nope.

Didn't mean to touch a nerve. All I recall is that there was a huge dust up with a chicken place and the gay community. I didn't follow it at all but there was a lot of action on the topic in the FFA IIRC. I apologize if I bothered you by bringing up a bad memory involving a fast food chicken place.

The Cathy family (owners of CFA) funded groups opposed to marriage equality. There was a boycott. And then a show of support by such luminaries as Willie Neslon. Then CFA quietly announced they'd no longer give to such groups. And then the Supreme Court kind of rendered the whole thing moot by legalizing marriage equality. Everyone can make up their own mind whether they can order a delicious chicken sandwich without guilt.

Nope.

Nope. Like this condescending response, it did not bother me. You really thought a restaurant corporation hated the gays? Sheesh

Nope.

Nope. Like this condescending response, it did not bother me. You really thought a restaurant corporation hated the gays? Sheesh

Well, is a privately held company with a deeply religious foundation.

And according to Wiki The company's official statement of corporate purpose says that the business exists "To glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us. To have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A."

So...yeah.

I ate at the gay hating chicken breakfast buffet this morning. I'm not sure if I swallowed any of the hate but I am a little gassy.

Wat? A positive statement of their religious beliefs is gay hating? We've completely lost our minds when discussing RIGHTEOUS OUTRAGEZ!!!!!

Ending their funding to gay hating groups does not mean they stopped hating gays. It just means they stopped funding gay hating groups. Could have been they just couldn't afford to anymore.

Ending their funding to gay hating groups does not mean they stopped hating gays. It just means they stopped funding gay hating groups. Could have been they just couldn't afford to anymore.

Seems unlikely - they have to be raking in the cash.

Wat? A positive statement of their religious beliefs is gay hating? We've completely lost our minds when discussing RIGHTEOUS OUTRAGEZ!!!!!

The supporting of some groups considered hate groups is what got them that label.

I've never seen a Chick Fil A with a breakfast buffet, I'm missing out.

Nothing better for a hangover than a chicken biscuit.