What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chick Fil-A (2 Viewers)

It's like that at the one near my work as well, for the drive-thru, but I am not a lazy *******, so I get out of my car, am in and out in a couple of minutes during the lunch rush, and back to work within minutes. :yes:  
Wife got me started using the app...place my order before leaving the house or stopped at a light on the way to CFA.  Then can chose to go inside and pick it up or they come out curbside.  (at some point in the drive or right when I get there I select the complete order thing).   Comes out hot and quick, no need to wait in their very long drive thru lines (though, they have that down pretty well on working through the cars).

That's a lot of mental gymnastics. And I know it well, because as a christian for 30+ years of my life, I played those mental gymnastics too. I now look back at that time of my life and how I thought and am ashamed of it all. 

If someone commits a criminal assault against someone else, then it's just a criminal assault... unless the motive was hate (for example, they did the assault because they (or their god) hates gays, or they (or their god) hates jews, or they (or their god) hates mexicans, etc, etc...), and then the criminal assault also becomes a hate crime. It's not the action that makes it a hate crime. It's the motive of hate that does.

This is not limited to crimes. If someone does action ABC, then it's just action ABC... unless the motive was hate, and then the action ABC becomes a hate action ABC. (note, I"m not speaking in the legal sense, but just in general how not all actions are motivated by hate, but some are). 

You can do all the mental gymnastics you want with sin, sinners, love, hate, god people, etc, etc... but none of that matters. Because it's all meaningless to the victims. LGBTQ people get treated the way they do because some religious people believe homosexuality is a sin, and god hates sin, so because of this they are choosing to treat LGBTQ with negative actions. And given the motive is hate, their action is a hate action. It's doesn't matter if the action is something extreme like burning down LGVTQ homes, or something as simple not hiring them, making a cake for them, or allowing them to participate. Their action, whatever the degree of action it is, is a hate action.  

The whole "love the sinner, hate the sin" mentality is nothing more than a way believers try to resolve it all in their own minds. But to the victim, it's meaningless. If god hates homosexuality, then in their eyes god hates them, because what they are is homosexual. They didn't make that choice anymore than you chose to be heterosexual (assuming you are). It has nothing to do with free will. it's not a choice. So if god (and by extension you by your negative action) hates homosexuality, then the homosexual is hated by god (and by extension you), because THEY ARE WHAT GOD (AND BY EXTENSION YOU) HATES!!! 
Just to be clear, I personally am not religious nor do I support the actions of the groups (the FCA, Salvation Army, whatever that third one was).  I'm just making the argument that it's a bit extreme to label them as hate groups.  If you drill in far enough, any "evil" act is motivated at some point by hate, because you wouldn't do it if you didn't hate something about the victim, even if it's just stemming from jealousy or envy from them having what you want.

Also, while being a homosexual isn't a choice, practicing homosexuality is.  You could always abstain.  Just like heterosexuals are considered to sin if they have sex outside of marriage.  They didn't choose to be heterosexual, but they chose to sin.  Living life as a homosexual but never engaging in homosexual acts would surely suck, but living a good, pure life is about sacrifice and suffering, right?  (Again, I personally don't think anything about homosexuals or what they do is a sin, or anything else for that matter, I'm just making an argument).

I do believe that you shouldn't try to impose your beliefs about how people should live their lives on other people.  I don't agree with Christians who think that they know the will of god and how he thinks you should behave and therefore feel they have the right to mandate how other people live their lives, like to not be homosexual.  I also believe that it's not my place to mandate how Christians choose to live their lives, even if that means that they want to discriminate against homosexuals or whomever else.  It's not what I would choose to do, but who am I to say that what I think is right for everyone else?  If I tried to get them to conform to my viewpoint, would there really be much difference between me and them?

Hands down my favorite fast food restaurant.  I don't feel like crap after eating it like I do with other fast food places.  The waffle fries and bbq sauce rule.
I like the place ...but as thoroughly discussed in another thread, the waffle fries are consistently underdone and come out soft and mealy.  

Can't even save with a bunch of that delicious Chick-Fil-A sauce.  

Maybe a regional thing?  
I've had some success ordering them well done - but not consistently.  If I'm taking it home, I'd rather swing by Arby's and get 4 potato cakes anyway.  

ETA:  FYI ...for those that didn't know, you can get a small 8oz tub of Chick-Fil-A sauce for $2 if you don't feel like asking for 20+ free little tubs.  I recently picked up the 12oz Great Value "Chicken Dipping Sauce" for like $1.19 that is very close, if not a dead on the money clone. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had some success ordering them well done - but not consistently.  If I'm taking it home, I'd rather swing by Arby's and get 4 potato cakes anyway.  

ETA:  FYI ...for those that didn't know, you can get a small 8oz tub of Chick-Fil-A sauce for $2 if you don't feel like asking for 20+ free little tubs.  I recently picked up the 12oz Great Value "Chicken Dipping Sauce" for like $1.19 that is very close, if not a dead on the money clone. 
Also love their sauces , non better in fast food. I’d gladly buy their CFA sauce, Polynesian & honey mustard 

It's like that at the one near my work as well, for the drive-thru, but I am not a lazy *******, so I get out of my car, am in and out in a couple of minutes during the lunch rush, and back to work within minutes. :yes:  
If i walk into any store and there are 2 or 3 people on line im tempted to walk out. Whenever i have gone to CFA and the line of cars is around the building about 12 deep. I have my food within 2-3 min.

I swear if i leave the car in neutral the girl with her little tablet and menu would probably slowly follow me as i give her my order, my CC and i can let it coast in neutral to the window as the old lady lets me be her pleasure by accepting her bag of goodies.

The operational aspect of their drive through is one of the more impressive things i have seen in my lifetime.

Funny, the wife's been on an anti-chick fila thing lately because of the owners anti-gay stance...made a number of comments out of the blue which is odd, because we don't go.

For me, it it's genuinely delicious chicken etc, I can separate food from owner. Or it's chick fila, which is why I don't bother. I guess if I lived somewhere where there wasn't any other option... :shrug: it's better than mcds or starving I suppose.

I went with the fam about a month ago.  I really wanted to like it but it was just meh. The chicken sandwich seemed like all the others.
Put me in this camp. I never got why people are so fanatical about this place being clearly above all the rest.

It tastes like, well, fast food. The chicken sandwiches that I had seemed pretty indistinguishable from the next chain. 

To each his own, gustatory-wise. The better reason I have for not frequenting this chain has nothing to do with its par-for-the course food.

I take umbrage with any company wielding its founders'/board's/CEO's personal/religious beliefs in a way that promotes outdated and harmful bigotry and hate.

No problem for me if a restaurant's policy is to close on their Sabbath -- that's a policy that some might question the wisdom of financially (foregoing revenue and wasting opportunity in franchise/contract placements in airports, stadiums, etc.). But it's also a policy that cuts across every segment tied to their operations fairly and evenly -- customers and employees alike. Your own Sabbath might not be on a Sunday, but like your Baptist (and every other) employees, everyone is treated the same under the policy. 

It gets different when a company chooses to be an outspoken activist, pushing and funding non-inclusive and harmful beliefs -- from pouring millions of the company's earnings to groups with anti-LGBTQ policies and activities, to claiming that one's own religious worldview should be the one that is upheld by all. Seems far outside their purview of foodservice operations.

I am not so naive to think that religious lobbying doesn't or won't take place, across all walks of life. But I can choose to not be a customer of companies I believe are purveyors of harmful messages, advocacy, and action. That, beyond the meh chicken and soggy waffle fries, is what drives my opinion of the place.

Put me in this camp. I never got why people are so fanatical about this place being clearly above all the rest.

It tastes like, well, fast food. The chicken sandwiches that I had seemed pretty indistinguishable from the next chain. 

To each his own, gustatory-wise. The better reason I have for not frequenting this chain has nothing to do with its par-for-the course food.

I take umbrage with any company wielding its founders'/board's/CEO's personal/religious beliefs in a way that promotes outdated and harmful bigotry and hate.

No problem for me if a restaurant's policy is to close on their Sabbath -- that's a policy that some might question the wisdom of financially (foregoing revenue and wasting opportunity in franchise/contract placements in airports, stadiums, etc.). But it's also a policy that cuts across every segment tied to their operations fairly and evenly -- customers and employees alike. Your own Sabbath might not be on a Sunday, but like your Baptist (and every other) employees, everyone is treated the same under the policy. 

It gets different when a company chooses to be an outspoken activist, pushing and funding non-inclusive and harmful beliefs -- from pouring millions of the company's earnings to groups with anti-LGBTQ policies and activities, to claiming that one's own religious worldview should be the one that is upheld by all. Seems far outside their purview of foodservice operations.

I am not so naive to think that religious lobbying doesn't or won't take place, across all walks of life. But I can choose to not be a customer of companies I believe are purveyors of harmful messages, advocacy, and action. That, beyond the meh chicken and soggy waffle fries, is what drives my opinion of the place.
Thanks for sharing @Stompin' Tom Connors

I haven't followed this closely. Do you have links where they're being an "outspoken activist and pushing" things? And "claiming that one's own religious worldview should be the one that is upheld by all?" Thanks. 

And to add, put me in the Chick Fil-A is over rated camp. I liken it to In N Out burger. (except unlike In N Out, Chick Fil-A's waffle fries don't taste like damp cardboard) It's fine. But not as great as the hype. 

Link.

As mentioned, my wife won't go in one of these because of it.
Your wife is being dramatic. Reading that story, from Vox, and I came away realizing how overblown people have made this issue. 

Cathy issued a video statement in response to the boycott, in which he claimed the company “serves all people” and that, while he personally believes in the “biblical definition of marriage,” his company doesn’t have an “anti-gay agenda.”

@Joe Bryant, read the article. 

Chik-Fil-A has a great spicy chicken sandwich with pepper jack. Yum. I don't do politics with my food. I eat Ben & Jerry's and Chik-Fil-A.

I could really care less who these companies give to unless they're overt communist or fascist supporters. I generally care more about how their food tastes and is sourced, if one wants to get socially responsible.  

Your wife is being dramatic. Reading that story, from Vox, and I came away realizing how overblown people have made this issue. 

Cathy issued a video statement in response to the boycott, in which he claimed the company “serves all people” and that, while he personally believes in the “biblical definition of marriage,” his company doesn’t have an “anti-gay agenda.”
I don't think she is.  The company can't really separate itself from where the money they make ultimately goes.

Another summation of part of the problem.

And to add, put me in the Chick Fil-A is over rated camp. I liken it to In N Out burger. (except unlike In N Out, Chick Fil-A's waffle fries don't taste like damp cardboard) It's fine. But not as great as the hype. 
People, like me in this thread, talk about it being great fast food.  It’s consistent, tastes great, some heathy-ish options, clean and friendly waitstaff.  Nobody’s saying it fine dining and I think a lot of people consider it the best fast food place out there - but it’s just that, fast food.  I guess I don’t really get what you mean by the hype.  I get overrated but if it’s overrated I’d like to hear what you would rate above it.

Thanks for sharing @Stompin' Tom Connors

I haven't followed this closely. Do you have links where they're being an "outspoken activist and pushing" things? And "claiming that one's own religious worldview should be the one that is upheld by all?" Thanks. 
Hi, Joe -- articles, quotes, and even Wikipedia summaries exist on the subject of Cathy and the company being active advocates against same-sex marriage. @El Floppo provided a link to one such view.

This has been in the public discourse for a while, and easily Google-able. As such, your request for links comes across to me not so much as wanting information as it is to justify my own viewpoint in the face of the information that's out there. Which is fair, but if indeed that's the case, it's a bit of an indirect approach.

But here are my thoughts (with a link or two) regardless:

@avoiding injuries gets to the crux of it in that this -- like any issue -- isn't black and white, open to interpretation, and is colored by both the slant of coverage and one's own world view and morals. Above all I respect the effort of reading information and drawing one's own conclusion.

I've read multiple articles and viewpoints on this issue, and my conclusion is that when a CEO is public about being anti-gay marriage, and uses corporate power (i.e. dollars) to fund groups that among their charter and activities, support ideology and action that oppose gay marriage, it shows a very clear agenda of what's important to that CEO and company.  And this particular stance is one I simply disagree with, and think is deplorable. 

People are free to believe what they want to believe, and people are free to support causes they believe in. But IMO people -- and especially corporations with far more resources and power than the average person -- shouldn't force their beliefs on others. And this particular belief is one, IMO, that is driven by outdated religious values that are much more harmful than helpful in today's society, and fundamentally disrespect others' rights to live their life the way they see fit. 

Objectively, I can say that the company has made obvious strides in the last few years to reverse itself from its CEO's public statements about LGBTQ lifestyles, and from its funding activities. To me, this is a good step, but a step that shouldn't have to have been taken in the first place. It's also arguable how consistent they've been in ceasing such funding.

People, like me in this thread, talk about it being great fast food.  It’s consistent, tastes great, some heathy-ish options, clean and friendly waitstaff.  Nobody’s saying it fine dining and I think a lot of people consider it the best fast food place out there - but it’s just that, fast food.  I guess I don’t really get what you mean by the hype.  I get overrated but if it’s overrated I’d like to hear what you would rate above it.
:goodposting:   

It is literally the only fast food I eat with any regularity, and I get the grilled chicken now with no waffles fries (fried food is not my friend anymore).  It's not fine dining, just fast food. 

I’ve probably eaten more Chick-fil-a than anybody in here and I’d never consider going there except when I need something fast/convenient.  I’m not doing date night or dinners out at a fast food chicken place.

I’ve probably eaten more Chick-fil-a than anybody in here and I’d never consider going there except when I need something fast/convenient.  I’m not doing date night or dinners out at a fast food chicken place.
Same here.  There is one five minutes from the office, and if it's a busy day where I want a quick lunch before getting back to it, it is close and easy to grab.  I would never go out of my way for it. 

I am absolutely mystified that there's not one near me.

I live in rural Virginia right off an interstate exit. There's McDs, Burger King, Wendys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC, Arbys, 5 gas station convenience stores, and Dunkin Donuts - all right off of the exit. I'm in the middle of Trump country in a town with more churches than bars. You'd think this would be ideal for Chik Fil A, especially as the Arbys & Pizza Hut seem dead all of the time. 

I don't really care, as I rarely eat at any of those places. It just blows my mind that one isn't here, given the demographics.
I don't think I've seen too many CFA's off interstates or near rural areas. Best I can tell, their expansion priorities require a high number of middle class, suburban people. And they seem to like to be really close to a Target. 

@Joe Bryant, read the article. 
She does tend towards drama. But in this case, she's choosing not to support somebody who has public stance rooted in hatred/bigotry.- wherever the origin..and hatred of a community we both have ties to. 

Her loss.
If the food was something we wanted to eat, sure. As it is- we have way better options available 24/7. 

If the food was something we wanted to eat, sure. As it is- we have way better options available 24/7. 
Jealous. You guys have great food down in lower Manhattan. Hoo boy. I used to love the Sundays visiting my friend and the meal I would often get on the trip back to CT when I would go visit him. He'd pick Saturday night's fare, always reasonably priced for NY, Sunday afternoon I was on my own to discover by sight the appealing nature of each restaurant. The more exotic, generally the better. 

Cool times. I miss that. I wish I'd taken the time to enjoy it more back then. Oh dear, I'm getting wistful.

She does tend towards drama. But in this case, she's choosing not to support somebody who has public stance rooted in hatred/bigotry.- wherever the origin..and hatred of a community we both have ties to.
I'm not sure criticisms are really appropriate here for some reason that I can't shake. There's nothing personally offensive about her boycott. I wonder why it's an issue in the thread. I guess I'll just shrug and leave it all be. 

Same here.  I never go to Chick Fil-A bc it’s meh and the most ridiculously crowded place I could choose.  Went there for the first time I think in a year the other day and they got rid of the spicy chicken biscuit which is the only thing I wanted. I sat in the drive thru for another 15 minutes waiting for everyone else before driving away disappointed. Your assessment of In N Out’s fries is spot on. Turrible.

I"m not sure if it's a local thing, but 'round my parts their garbage areas are commingled with their condiments, utensils, and napkins.  It seems a little weird to be throwing away my garbage and placing my trays at the same counter where people are grabbing clean utensils and napkins.  

Big miss, imo.  

Funny story, Chick-Fil-A was never in Canada growing up (I believe they had some early locations in Alberta but only started expanding to my hometown this year).

My cousin always thought that it was pronounced "Chick-Fill-AHH" instead of the intended "Chick-Fill-AYY" play on the word fillet.

No one ever corrected her as we simply didn't know better.

She refuses to change the pronunciation to this day, which is why I love her that much more.

I imagine there was no such confusion south of the border.

Funny story, Chick-Fil-A was never in Canada growing up (I believe they had some early locations in Alberta but only started expanding to my hometown this year).

My cousin always thought that it was pronounced "Chick-Fill-AHH" instead of the intended "Chick-Fill-AYY" play on the word fillet.

No one ever corrected her as we simply didn't know better.

She refuses to change the pronunciation to this day, which is why I love her that much more.

I imagine there was no such confusion south of the border.
We burn people at the stake for such nonsense.  

Users who are viewing this thread