What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should one tank a game for playoff position? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccanderson

Footballguy
I've seen this discussed, but this question has a twist.12-team league, 4 make the playoffs (3 divisions, one wildcard), and those four teams are already set with one remaining regular season game. What is not determined is who plays who during the playoffs. If I tank next weeks game, I get a preferable matchup. Seems to me at the moment to be less of an issue that the several out of contention owners that quit a couple of games ago and started players that are injured. Their actions (or lack thereof) did determine the wildcard team.

Sorry, but I have been firm on this board that any team that tanks any game in your or any other league has no business playing FF. Your best ll the time every week. I just lost to a 4-8 team w nothing much to play for but I respect this owner as he will give it his all until the end.

Sorry, but I have been firm on this board that any team that tanks any game in your or any other league has no business playing FF. Your best ll the time every week. I just lost to a 4-8 team w nothing much to play for but I respect this owner as he will give it his all until the end.
So in other words, you think owners should NOT do everything permissable under the rules to win the league. They should deliberately choose actions that reduce their chances of winning. That's weak.

Short answer: Tanking is always wrongReal answer: If you're going to do it, be smart. Sub in guys who are less likely to do well, but are still realistic starters. Don't just swap in your injured/useless scrubs, unless you're ready to deal with the fallout.

would do it only if you knew the matchups and bracket outcomes ahead of time.to me, i paid the same $250 as everybody else, they drafted poorly and i didnt. so if i can put myself in a better position to get that pot of gold, then by all means i am going to do it. BUT, make sure you check the matchups. wont it suck if the team you play next week has a higher score than the two teams you "strategically" avoided.my 2-biz

If I tank next weeks game, I get a preferable matchup.
On Thanksgiving Ahman Green went scoreless vs. Detroit and was held to less than 70 yards while Miami's Chris Chambers had three TD's against Dallas.My Point? Anyone would have wanted Green over Chambers before the games started last Thursday, so what may look like a preferable match-up today can turn around and bite you in the ### tomorrow.

So in other words, you think owners should NOT do everything permissable under the rules to win the league. They should deliberately choose actions that reduce their chances of winning. That's weak.
No pal your pathetic BS every time I come here and see that lame BUF Bill helmet and your sorry ### postings are weak. Quitters never win and if you think that you have to tank a game to get a weaker M/U is not weak than maybe you should play another game.To be the best you have to beat the best- a concept quitters never understand.Besides, you will eventually run into the better team in the championship but then again a real genius, a real stout competitor like yourself will have a reason for coming up with a way to beat the best team when you cannot tank it. Real man of genius- with a stupid commie handle! I can see a guy tanking it now and then losing in that first round game. The ball busting will be endless! Come back here and tell me you won it all with that lame strategy- better playoff matchup- what a crock of crap! No respect for the game, your league or even yourself. By the way- great season for the Bills- love that first round pick!!! Hope he does well when the best player on the Bills offense quits the Bills and you have no more 1,000 yard runner!

On Thanksgiving Ahman Green went scoreless vs. Detroit and was held to less than 70 yards while Miami's Chris Chambers had three TD's against Dallas.My Point? Anyone would have wanted Green over Chambers before the games started last Thursday, so what may look like a preferable match-up today can turn around and bite you in the ### tomorrow.
Point taken, and probably the only reason I've not decided to tank yet. IMO, the out of contention owners have already tanked a few, and thus the precident has been set.The average scoring for the playoff bound teams is:172 (me)170 (the team I don't want in round 1)148 wildcard141 the team I will play if i tank (weak division winner).

I agree. Tanking a game, no matter the reason, is unethical in a fantasy sense. I'm SO much against tanking, that I'd even consider having you removed from my league...

I can see a guy tanking it now and then losing in that first round game. The ball busting will be endless! Come back here and tell me you won it all with that lame strategy- better playoff matchup- what a crock of crap! No respect for the game, your league or even yourself.
It is definitely possible to lose the first round. As far as winning it all, I will post an update if you like. The deal is ALL of the money doesn't go to the winner. The loser of the bowl gets 2nd place money. So, although my chances of winning the whole thing is not increased, perhaps the chances of winning something is increased.*resisting the urge to fire back*

I agree. Tanking a game, no matter the reason, is unethical in a fantasy sense. I'm SO much against tanking, that I'd even consider having you removed from my league...
but you would also have the members that "gave up" removed.. yes?

I've seen this discussed, but this question has a twist.12-team league, 4 make the playoffs (3 divisions, one wildcard), and those four teams are already set with one remaining regular season game. What is not determined is who plays who during the playoffs. If I tank next weeks game, I get a preferable matchup. Seems to me at the moment to be less of an issue that the several out of contention owners that quit a couple of games ago and started players that are injured. Their actions (or lack thereof) did determine the wildcard team.
Tanking a game is low budget and unethical.

NO, because you can't control what happens once you get into the playoffs anyway. What you think may be a good match up for you could be a nightmare.Yesterday, I played an owner who had Kordell Stewart as his starting QB and thought I was going to roll. Now I find myself in a dog fight needing 2 td's from a Tennessee QB.Not only that, but if you lay down and let a team get in that doesn't deserve to, there may be a time where you are sitting back needing someone to beat a team ahead of you so you could get in the back door with a win. If that team layed down so you didn't have a chance, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on in complaining if you did it this week.Play your team. If you truly have the best, it'll work out for you. There's more to life than just winning anyway.

Not only that, but if you lay down and let a team get in that doesn't deserve to
The playoff teams are already set, no matter the results of any game next week, but your point is taken.

No pal your pathetic BS every time I come here and see that lame BUF Bill helmet and your sorry ### postings are weak. Quitters never win and if you think that you have to tank a game to get a weaker M/U is not weak than maybe you should play another game.To be the best you have to beat the best- a concept quitters never understand.Besides, you will eventually run into the better team in the championship but then again a real genius, a real stout competitor like yourself will have a reason for coming up with a way to beat the best team when you cannot tank it. Real man of genius- with a stupid commie handle! I can see a guy tanking it now and then losing in that first round game. The ball busting will be endless! Come back here and tell me you won it all with that lame strategy- better playoff matchup- what a crock of crap! No respect for the game, your league or even yourself. By the way- great season for the Bills- love that first round pick!!! Hope he does well when the best player on the Bills offense quits the Bills and you have no more 1,000 yard runner!
gdb this yahoo being an ####### to ivan, one of the more knowledgable fantasy footballers on the board.this is why the true sharks rarely post in this forum anymore. :thumbdown:

i agree. if i found out a team intentionally tanked a game, they'd be out of the league the following year. i have enough demand for my league that i don't have to put up with this junk.

i agree. if i found out a team intentionally tanked a game, they'd be out of the league the following year. i have enough demand for my league that i don't have to put up with this junk.
And I'm cool with that... provided that we also remove those teams that give up (another name for tanking). It was the out of contention teams starting injured players that decided the wildcard team. Two wrongs don't make a right, but there is a little $ on the line, and I see a possible tanking move as following suit.

And I'm cool with that... provided that we also remove those teams that give up (another name for tanking). It was the out of contention teams starting injured players that decided the wildcard team. Two wrongs don't make a right, but there is a little $ on the line, and I see a possible tanking move as following suit.
yup.zippy, i thought you were the crappy team. :confused:

My opinion is that, while there is nothing wrong with this, the fantasy football gods are likely to be angered by such posturing :hot: , and allow the "easier" team to beat you in the first round of the playoffs. The Fantasy football gods tend to have a low opinion of such shennanigans.

No pal your pathetic BS every time I come here and see that lame BUF Bill helmet and your sorry ### postings are weak.
:thumbdown: You, sir, are not being excellent to Ivan.

:thumbdown: You, sir, are not being excellent to Ivan.
seeing gorf in this thread, i think i'll start to label posters who are above the average shark as hippos. they will be the few posters who i have the upmost respect for their insightful fantasy football analysis.like hippos, they will be a very dangerous fantasy football adversary indeed. :yawn:

Touchy touchy.

Why lash out? You disagree so then you have to take it to a level below BS. I don't believe the board needs people like you who do not care about the actual FF aspect of the board. But I know now to avoid your posts and assume any knowledge you have must be coming from a true shark and not your self.

My opinion is that, while there is nothing wrong with this, the fantasy football gods are likely to be angered by such posturing :hot: , and allow the "easier" team to beat you in the first round of the playoffs. The Fantasy football gods tend to have a low opinion of such shennanigans.
:thumbup:

No pal your pathetic BS every time I come here and see that lame BUF Bill helmet and your sorry ### postings are weak. Quitters never win and if you think that you have to tank a game to get a weaker M/U is not weak than maybe you should play another game.
Post of the Year

If there was a physical element involved in this game I would say that it is wrong, but when you think about it, you'll realize that Fantasy Football is nothing more than the manipulation of numbers based on odds. That's what you do during the draft and every week when you set your lineup.The ultimate goal is to manipulate the odds to reach the title game - in this way it's a lot like chess - you make small sacrifices along the way to position yourself to the most advantageous seed.If you're very good and very lucky, you'll find yourself with the luxury choosing your opponents in the playoffs, and in some cases, the best the way to do that is sacrificing a pawn (game).

gdb this yahoo being an ####### to ivan, one of the more knowledgable fantasy footballers on the board.this is why the true sharks rarely post in this forum anymore. :thumbdown:
He shouldn't have dissed Ivan, but I agree with him. Should real teams tank to get better playoff position? If your answer is no, then I think it is the same in Fantasy. I would kick out anybody in my league whom I felt was deliberately tanking. You should always do your best, even if you are playing for nothing.

Let's compare these circumstances to real NFL football:Conceivably, the Chiefs could wrap up home field advantage soon and therefore decide to bench Priest, Trent Green and other key starters to rest them for the playoffs, let them heal some minor injuries they may have, get the team healthy again or a team that may just be content with reaching the playoffs may do the same thing knowing that they cannot earn homefield advantage.At the NFL level I have seen tanking go one first hand many many times, from the 49ers back in the 90's benching their stars once the division and home field were wrapped up (which in effect kept Phil Simms' Giants out of the playoffs because they needed the 49ers to beat the LA Rams that week to advance to the playoffs). The 49ers were later accused by Simms and the Giants of "lying down like a bunch of dogs".Now, were the actions of the 49ers that year, or any other NFL team that decides to bench a few key starters to get them healthy for their playoff run unethical and deserving of penalty?I don't know, you tell meFans are still paying full price to see the games, other teams may be counting or hoping for a win from that team to increase their playoff chances or keep their playoff hopes alive, but it happens quite frequently in the NFLUltimately, the decision rests squarely on you and your concience. I don't know how well you know the other players in the league or if you consider them friends, but I am coming across the same dilmena in one of my leagues. I have a friend who I am playing this week that really needs a win this week to make the playoffs, while I am the #1 seed and already assured of a playoff berth. Another manager whom I do not know it also in the playoff "hunt" needs a loss from the team I am playing to advance into the playoffs. Have I thought about subbing in a couple of bench players to give my friend a chance of advancing- AbsolutelyWill I do it? Absolutely notIf my friend does ultimately loses to me and does not make the playoffs, while the guy that I don't know wins his game and gets in ahead of my friend, oh well!I'm not willing to compromise my morals and ethics and basically "cheat" to help my own cause or anyone else's. I'm gonna field the best team I can every week and play to win cause I believe that's how the game should be played!I've also seen a last place team in a large 16 team keeper of mine come out and say that he is not going to play Michael Vick at all now that he is healthy, because doing so would hurt his team's FA draft status for next season. It is something he personally is choosing to do and the league has accepted that, but because of this he has lost the respect of the other managers in the league and will be viewed differently by them as a result of this. Are you willing to put yourself through the increased scrutiny that other managers in the league will put on you and the criticism you will receive and the lost respect of others in the league?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not willing to compromise my morals and ethics and basically "cheat" to help my own cause or anyone else's. I'm gonna field the best team I can every week and play to win cause I believe that's how the game should be played!Are you willing to put yourself through the increased scrutiny that other managers in the league will put on you and the criticism you will receive and the lost respect of others in the league?
12 team (work) league... out of which 4 teams have already "tanked" by giving up on their team (starting injured players, and 1 even bye week players). So, morally, if I tanked, I'm playing to the level that I didn't set. I would not at all feel that I cheated.However, the consequence of losing to the "lesser" opponent is definitely a deterent (as it seems that most weeks are a crap-shoot). I'd never hear the end of that. So, I'll play my best lineup. Thanks to all for your opinions.

Let's compare these circumstances to real NFL football:
Nice post, but none of your comparisons resembled his cirumstances. His example was teams who could still control their seeding deciding to finish in a lower seed to improve their matchup. If the Chiefs have wrapped up home field, their seeding is determined. If a team has clinched the playoffs, but can't move any higher, their seeding is determined.Also, in the NFL, being a higher seed is invariably better than being a lower seed no matter the opponent due to home field advantage.The only real-life comparison I can think of to this situation is the NHL, where the Southeast division has been a traditionally very weak division, yet the winner gets the 3rd playoff seed. In that case, finishing 6th would be more advantageous that 4th or 5th, since 4th plays against 5th, and they are the top 2 wild card teams (and generally very tough competition). Do NHL teams tank to get that seed? Nobody knows for sure, except them. I would doubt it, but you never know.

Let's compare these circumstances to real NFL football:
Nice post, but none of your comparisons resembled his cirumstances. His example was teams who could still control their seeding deciding to finish in a lower seed to improve their matchup. If the Chiefs have wrapped up home field, their seeding is determined. If a team has clinched the playoffs, but can't move any higher, their seeding is determined.Also, in the NFL, being a higher seed is invariably better than being a lower seed no matter the opponent due to home field advantage.The only real-life comparison I can think of to this situation is the NHL, where the Southeast division has been a traditionally very weak division, yet the winner gets the 3rd playoff seed. In that case, finishing 6th would be more advantageous that 4th or 5th, since 4th plays against 5th, and they are the top 2 wild card teams (and generally very tough competition). Do NHL teams tank to get that seed? Nobody knows for sure, except them. I would doubt it, but you never know.
What about teams with only a couple of wins deciding to "let some of their younger guys play?"Can that be considered tanking to help their own cause?

Point taken, and probably the only reason I've not decided to tank yet. IMO, the out of contention owners have already tanked a few, and thus the precident has been set.The average scoring for the playoff bound teams is:172 (me)170 (the team I don't want in round 1)148 wildcard141 the team I will play if i tank (weak division winner).
With this knowledge I would tank, not even a question. Now I would not sneaky tank, I would be upfront about what I was doing and deal with it like a man. You are making what will be an invariably unpopular call with some owners. BUt this is fantasy football. Be Maciavellian.

No pal your pathetic BS every time I come here and see that lame BUF Bill helmet and your sorry ### postings are weak. Quitters never win and if you think that you have to tank a game to get a weaker M/U is not weak than maybe you should play another game.To be the best you have to beat the best- a concept quitters never understand.Besides, you will eventually run into the better team in the championship but then again a real genius, a real stout competitor like yourself will have a reason for coming up with a way to beat the best team when you cannot tank it. Real man of genius- with a stupid commie handle!  I can see a guy tanking it now and then losing in that first round game. The ball busting will be endless! Come back here and tell me you won it all with that lame strategy- better playoff matchup- what a crock of crap! No respect for the game, your league or even yourself. By the way- great season for the Bills- love that first round pick!!! Hope he does well when the best player on the Bills offense quits the Bills and you have no more 1,000 yard runner!
Awwww I bet you two hold hands any chance you can get. Nothing like a little click to make me laugh. I just get a hardy laugh out of the self-proclaimed geniuses of fantasy football. Maybe the reason why your boy never posts here any longer is because he really has nothing to say. But then again, he seems so damn good in your eyes that maybe just maybe he does know it all. Hang onto his every word here. Either that, or take a hike. Quitters- all the same!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see a guy tanking it now and then losing in that first round game. The ball busting will be endless! Come back here and tell me you won it all with that lame strategy- better playoff matchup- what a crock of crap! No respect for the game, your league or even yourself.
It is definitely possible to lose the first round. As far as winning it all, I will post an update if you like. The deal is ALL of the money doesn't go to the winner. The loser of the bowl gets 2nd place money. So, although my chances of winning the whole thing is not increased, perhaps the chances of winning something is increased.*resisting the urge to fire back*
Wasn't directing this towards you but if you want to go bring it on quitter...

Why lash out? You disagree so then you have to take it to a level below BS. I don't believe the board needs people like you who do not care about the actual FF aspect of the board. But I know now to avoid your posts and assume any knowledge you have must be coming from a true shark and not your self.
Lash out? These are supposed to be men watching football? Self-proclaimed greatest sharks ever? They have the best content? This place is a contest of who knows more? And now you seem like a little victim. Reminds me of the little boy I played football with when I was a kid. You know the type- mommy I skinned my knee whaaa whaaa whaaa..Your offended- awwwwwwww...Maybe I have it all wrong. Maybe I need to forget coming here to enjoy myself and gain some knowledge and talk football. Maybe it is all about telling people that I am some great shark and flashing my number of posts around like I am something special. You see- guys like you get your panties in a bunch on a message board and that makes me laugh very hard. Ivan does nothing for me here. He adds nothing to this board and when he wants to take a shot and call me weak he better come with more than his click of friends. I know the drill around here- there are guys and gals that can hold their own but then there are fools like you and Ivan that take pot shots at people and then when you get it thrown back in your face you cry about how this used to be a great board and only true sharks make/made it what it is. Well count me out as being part of the sharks and the glee club and clicks. If you see my posts I am great if not good to about 90% of the folks that post here. The other 10% come looking for it by taking stupid pot shots and to tell you the truth- half the time I post in their threads and try to give them some ideas about who to start because I forget about it and so do they. But Ivan- no this guy thinks he is so freaking perfect that he only needs to post to try and show all his shark buddies that he is something. Whatever dude- I know how to ignore the know it all types just as well. Go have your circle jerk and I will stay out of your way and I will stay out of the way of all Ivan's disciples, as there are thousands of members here- not the great sharks that you and your boy are but enough to satisfy my entertainment....Quitting is the key word here. Tanking a game is very wrong. What does this say about the guy you are playing for the week? He is so bad he is not worthy of your best shot? If the guy has no playoff chance at least he has a little pride to play for. Besides, these teams pay to play. If you are tanking your games due to teams not showing up at all w a roster because they quit- well it must be a nice tough league to be in. My advice- get a full membership with guys that want to play and play to win all the time. Somehow- tanking and quitting and shark all in the same vernacular is a real joke. Stay hot sunshine!

mommie.. he called me a quitter :)I see no point of arguing with you, shark. Your opinion is the only one that matters to you.

mommie.. he called me a quitter :)I see no point of arguing with you, shark. Your opinion is the only one that matters to you.
Yes I see that a quitter will always be a quitter. You never really offered me an opinion on why one should tank a game but then again- losers really quit. Now you are fishing for a flame. Nice try Holly Hobby. Tank your game and go have fun... :yes:

Yes I see that a quitter will always be a quitter. You never really offered me an opinion on why one should tank a game but then again- losers really quit. Now you are fishing for a flame. Nice try Holly Hobby. Tank your game and go have fun... :yes:
If you'll read the last post on the previous page (Dec 1 2003, 04:57 PM), you'll see that I've decided to play my best line-up. You sir, are the one fishing for a flame.

mommie.. he called me a quitter :) I see no point of arguing with you, shark. Your opinion is the only one that matters to you.
If you'll read the last post on the previous page (Dec 1 2003, 04:57 PM), you'll see that I've decided to play my best line-up. You sir, are the one fishing for a flame.
*resisting the urge to fire back* All I saw was this as part of your response so true to my form- I see that you have your best in so I refrain and wish you the best of luck in your playoff season!

:thumbup:

Monster yours is just an opinion, just as all others. Absolutely. If tanking a game is what YOU believe gives you the best opportunity to advance, then do it. It is your team. Even if it would potentially effect other teams making the playoffs. You're playing to advance your team, and what happens to the rest is irrelevent. Monster is just upset, because probably last season his middle of the road team lost out because a league member tanked a game, knocking him down, but it really came down to a couple of bad coaching decisions through the year in setting the line-up. There is no moral or ethical dilemma here. You are an owner, competing against other owners. Each formulates a strategy, and implements it from draft day forward. Some guys never touch the waiver wire, unless they have a guy hit IR. People strategize and manage their teams differently. If everybody did the same thing, why play? Tank the game, and beware the fantasy Gods.

Monster yours is just an opinion, just as all others.

Absolutely. If tanking a game is what YOU believe gives you the best opportunity to advance, then do it. It is your team. Even if it would potentially effect other teams making the playoffs. You're playing to advance your team, and what happens to the rest is irrelevent.

Monster is just upset, because probably last season his middle of the road team lost out because a league member tanked a game, knocking him down, but it really came down to a couple of bad coaching decisions through the year in setting the line-up.

There is no moral or ethical dilemma here. You are an owner, competing against other owners. Each formulates a strategy, and implements it from draft day forward. Some guys never touch the waiver wire, unless they have a guy hit IR. People strategize and manage their teams differently. If everybody did the same thing, why play?

Tank the game, and beware the fantasy Gods.
Nice try! I can see that this thread is now the lightning rod to any and all idiots like you coming here to post crap. Maybe you’re the guy having the tough season?For one, I play in a league with real men that play till the end. No tanking, no quitting and no sissies. Got it? Good! It would be wise of me to point out that there has to be more then thousands upon thousands of leagues that have the same situation.

Second, my middle of the road team went straight to another division title and into the Super Bowl last year where I lost to a better team. The money was great and I played till the end with my best like all the other teams in my league.

Third, this year I am in first place in my division. I win my next game I wrap the division but it will not be easy as guys in my league just do not tank it or they are gone. I just put in the best lineup and go stud boy. With the roster I have, I do have a nice shot but it is not a given because quitters just do not show their weak game in my league.

There is no moral or ethical dilemma here

Like the rest of the typical nonsense I laugh at- this is a statement designed to draw attention away from the discussion. I think they call it a fishing trip here.

While FF is a game and not a moral or ethical situation- a game is to be played with one's best so go tank your team and have a great time at it if you would like. I know that I don't have to deal w the lameness of it so it makes no difference to me.

You are an owner, competing against other owners.

You have no respect for your league or your opponent so tanking a game highly contradicts the notion of true competition. You only compete when you want to- great strategy!

If tanking a game is what YOU believe gives you the best opportunity to advance, then do it.

Again, nice league! In ten years of FF I have never seen one team even having the capability to even THINK about tanking a game to make it to the playoffs. Usually, and I might be in the minority here, the teams in my league are scratching, clawing and fighting until the last second of the last game to get a div title and/or make the playoffs. 8 of 10 teams are still going and the two owners out of it have already stated that they are coming to hammer any and all so they can spoil. Guys like you are in those free Yahoo leagues anyway so have fun...

NO monster, guys like me recognize that one game is relatively meaningless when the real glory is winning championships. Keep patting yourself on the back for trying week in and out, while others formulate strategies to win the championship. This post is a lightning rod for nothing. The poster asked opinions, and got them. Instead of just giving an answer, you showed such infirmity in your beliefs that you had to attack. That's why I called you out. It's a fantasy football game. Again, if everybody approached the game with the same strategy for the championship, it would be boring. I love seeing people jockeying for playoff matchups. I love to see people with such confidence in their team that they would even consider doing what he suggested. But, I get from you post that you're just an arrogant punk, with no concern for anybody elses opinion. Which leads me to ask; Why visit BB's, when you are the all knowing?

NO monster, guys like me recognize that one game is relatively meaningless when the real glory is winning championships. Keep patting yourself on the back for trying week in and out, while others formulate strategies to win the championship. This post is a lightning rod for nothing. The poster asked opinions, and got them. Instead of just giving an answer, you showed such infirmity in your beliefs that you had to attack. That's why I called you out. It's a fantasy football game. Again, if everybody approached the game with the same strategy for the championship, it would be boring. I love seeing people jockeying for playoff matchups. I love to see people with such confidence in their team that they would even consider doing what he suggested. But, I get from you post that you're just an arrogant punk, with no concern for anybody elses opinion. Which leads me to ask; Why visit BB's, when you are the all knowing?
I placed my opinion and had my war of words w who I had them with but now you are going to come here and teach a lesson or two? Maybe you’re the punk? You are wasting your time with this nonsense junior. The funny thing here is you crave a beating and I will come down into the bottom of this thread and deliver one to you and you can thank me later for it.I never come here to brag on and on about what my team does. I don't come here to try and put people in their place like the snob that you are. You asked so I delivered. There is no patting myself in the back at all because a win ends with the next week of preparation. You came here looking for it because you probably got your ### handed to you all year long. You don't win championships without winning games so take another brilliant stab at basic logic. Keep coming up with your glorious stories of championships out of one side of your mouth while you spit- tanking games out of the other side. A stump like you would not last three weeks in our league or in most leagues with your tanking concept. You called nothing out and to think that tanking a game to get an easier M/U is such a confident idea is just horse manure son. Confidence and quitting just don't jive. Go back to your drawing board and come up here with something better. Like I said, I respect those that want a discussion and have and will but to those that want to call names and call people out I give 'em the treatment that they deserve. Tank your game and deny a team in your league a chance to beat you if you are so confident. Yes, the masterminds of strategy always use the tanking it concept to win their battles and wars. Quitting wins championships- I have heard it all and I must give you credit for being about the most ridiculous of posers on this board.

You don't win championships without winning games
The whole point of the original question is to call this assumption into doubt. If I can get myself a better playoff matchup by strategically dropping a game, I don't see what the ethical problem is. I am trying to win a championship, and sometimes you DO win a championship by losing a game, especially if that "loss" allows you to advance in the playoffs while a "win" would make your road more difficult.

I would not actually tank a game in this situation in any of my leagues, because I would be ridiculed without mercy for years on end if I ended up losing to the team I "chose" to play. I would rather just lose "fair and square" than have to endure the ribbing I would take if I tried to get cute. But that's a practical reason not to strategically tank a game. It doesn't change the fact that I would ethically within my rights to tank.

The point of playing fantasy football is to win championships. That's goal #1. If tanking an individual game helps you achieve that goal, I don't see how it can be considered unethical.

(Of course, this assumes that your league doesn't have a "no tanking" rule. If it does, then none of this applies and tanking should be off the table).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread