What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hyundai Genesis (2 Viewers)

Chadstroma

Footballguy
A friend mentioned he liked this car a while back. I laughed at him then. I mean... it is a Hyundai and well, those are built to be laughed at. Right? Well, he bought one a few months back. This week was the first time that I had seen him since he bought it and we drove around in his fairly new car.

Wow. You have to be impressed with the car.

It looks great, inside and out. In fact, my friend has a couple of stories about various employees at different locations mistaking it for a Bentley (I guess there is an option to have all of the Hyundai logo stuff taken off, so that makes the confusion a little bit understandable).

The ride is great. We drove around Indianapolis area alot while there in the car and it was extremely comfortable.

Tons of room in the car. I am a tall guy and there was plenty of room for me in both the front seat and the back seat.

A bunch of bells and whistles. He had the technology package thingee and it was real nice to see how it all came together and makes his life a little easier.

The warranty is ridiculously long... he did mention that there was a special package with the dealership but it is 20 years and 200,000 miles. Obviously that is not bumper to bumper but still. Impressive.

And prob the best part was the price on this thing. About mid $40's for it and a few adds.

I don't think I am laughing at Hyundai anymore. I have a new found respect for this company and the next time that I am in the car market, I am going to give them a hard look.

Chadstroma said:
A friend mentioned he liked this car a while back. I laughed at him then. I mean... it is a Hyundai and well, those are built to be laughed at. Right? Well, he bought one a few months back. This week was the first time that I had seen him since he bought it and we drove around in his fairly new car. Wow. You have to be impressed with the car. It looks great, inside and out. In fact, my friend has a couple of stories about various employees at different locations mistaking it for a Bentley (I guess there is an option to have all of the Hyundai logo stuff taken off, so that makes the confusion a little bit understandable). The ride is great. We drove around Indianapolis area alot while there in the car and it was extremely comfortable. Tons of room in the car. I am a tall guy and there was plenty of room for me in both the front seat and the back seat. A bunch of bells and whistles. He had the technology package thingee and it was real nice to see how it all came together and makes his life a little easier. The warranty is ridiculously long... he did mention that there was a special package with the dealership but it is 20 years and 200,000 miles. Obviously that is not bumper to bumper but still. Impressive. And prob the best part was the price on this thing. About mid $40's for it and a few adds. I don't think I am laughing at Hyundai anymore. I have a new found respect for this company and the next time that I am in the car market, I am going to give them a hard look.
Not sure why you ever laughed at them in the first place - Hyundai had been putting out high quality, great value vehicles for a long time now. Friend owns a Santa Fe I've ridden in many times and it's sweet. Hyundai is what Honda and Toyota were in the late 70s/early 80s.I agree with the Cap man - 40 g's for a Hyundai sedan is too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about the Genesis Coupe, which is a RWD 300hp. You can get a loaded one for right around 30-33. Ending up not going with it, but I was intrigued for a bit.

They are making nice cars these days. They've come a long way from the $5999 Excel crapbox that they sold in the mid-late 80s.

Yeah the Genesis is very nice. Hyundai makes it to compete with Mercedes, BMW, and Audi for thousands less.

Yeah the Genesis is very nice. Hyundai makes it to compete with Mercedes, BMW, and Audi for thousands less.
That is exactly what he was looking at in comparison. Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc. The cars comparably equipped from those guys were running $60-70KIt seems to me that if you do not get caught up in the status symbol thing, if you are looking at a 'luxury sedan' then you certainly want to take a look at a Genesis and save yourself a boatload. I do not think my perception of a brand has ever been so drastically turned around in such a short time.

I thought about the Genesis Coupe, which is a RWD 300hp. You can get a loaded one for right around 30-33. Ending up not going with it, but I was intrigued for a bit. They are making nice cars these days. They've come a long way from the $5999 Excel crapbox that they sold in the mid-late 80s.
Had one of those Excels when they first came out in the mid 80s. The engine was not very good, but there is some benefit to that when you have two teenage guys driving it!!! I remember the interior being really nice. Nice tape deck (80s remember!!!), moonroof, and just everything inside was just nice for a cheap car.Looked at their minivan a couple years ago, it was nice, but the size didn't fit what I needed.ACP, was the back seat big enough for a couple of car seats if needed? We are thinking about a replacement for our second car, and would need something that could fit a couple of kids in seats.

I thought about the Genesis Coupe, which is a RWD 300hp. You can get a loaded one for right around 30-33. Ending up not going with it, but I was intrigued for a bit.

They are making nice cars these days. They've come a long way from the $5999 Excel crapbox that they sold in the mid-late 80s.
Had one of those Excels when they first came out in the mid 80s. The engine was not very good, but there is some benefit to that when you have two teenage guys driving it!!! I remember the interior being really nice. Nice tape deck (80s remember!!!), moonroof, and just everything inside was just nice for a cheap car.Looked at their minivan a couple years ago, it was nice, but the size didn't fit what I needed.

ACP, was the back seat big enough for a couple of car seats if needed? We are thinking about a replacement for our second car, and would need something that could fit a couple of kids in seats.
decent pic here. I can't imagine 2 car seats would be any problem back there. http://www.hyundaiusa.com/genesis-coupe/interior.aspx

Get ready for the Equus coming out in the next year, it should start in the low 50s and probably get into the mid 60s with options. It'll compete with the bmw 7 series and audi a8s of the world. Basically Hyundai is competing with the 5 series for 3 series money and the 7 series for 5 series money.

Get ready for the Equus coming out in the next year, it should start in the low 50s and probably get into the mid 60s with options. It'll compete with the bmw 7 series and audi a8s of the world. Basically Hyundai is competing with the 5 series for 3 series money and the 7 series for 5 series money.
Rode in these in Seoul. Very nice cars.

I thought about the Genesis Coupe, which is a RWD 300hp. You can get a loaded one for right around 30-33. Ending up not going with it, but I was intrigued for a bit. They are making nice cars these days. They've come a long way from the $5999 Excel crapbox that they sold in the mid-late 80s.
Had one of those Excels when they first came out in the mid 80s. The engine was not very good, but there is some benefit to that when you have two teenage guys driving it!!! I remember the interior being really nice. Nice tape deck (80s remember!!!), moonroof, and just everything inside was just nice for a cheap car.Looked at their minivan a couple years ago, it was nice, but the size didn't fit what I needed.ACP, was the back seat big enough for a couple of car seats if needed? We are thinking about a replacement for our second car, and would need something that could fit a couple of kids in seats.
Not sure about the coupe but the sedan has tons of room. In fact, my friend actually told me that was one of the big factors in him deciding on the Genesis vs the others he looked at.

I read more like mid 60s to low 70s.

Rode in these in Seoul. Very nice cars.
If by "rode in" you mean chauffeured, then I was chauffeured in an Equus as well. :goodposting: Very nice automobile

I'm curious about the re-sale/trade-in value when the time comes

I bought a hyundai SUV in 2004 and really got burned on the back end

On paper, it compares well with other luxury brands. But according to Car & Driver, the difference is the decades of engineering experience the Germans and Japanese have that effect drive quality that Hyundai hasn't caught up with yet.

I had my friend laughing for weeks when he found out I took out a 5 year auto loan on my Excel. Got the last laugh when he took out a 5 year loan on a Daewoo.

Chadstroma said:
A friend mentioned he liked this car a while back. I laughed at him then. I mean... it is a Hyundai and well, those are built to be laughed at. Right? Well, he bought one a few months back. This week was the first time that I had seen him since he bought it and we drove around in his fairly new car. Wow. You have to be impressed with the car. It looks great, inside and out. In fact, my friend has a couple of stories about various employees at different locations mistaking it for a Bentley (I guess there is an option to have all of the Hyundai logo stuff taken off, so that makes the confusion a little bit understandable). The ride is great. We drove around Indianapolis area alot while there in the car and it was extremely comfortable. Tons of room in the car. I am a tall guy and there was plenty of room for me in both the front seat and the back seat. A bunch of bells and whistles. He had the technology package thingee and it was real nice to see how it all came together and makes his life a little easier. The warranty is ridiculously long... he did mention that there was a special package with the dealership but it is 20 years and 200,000 miles. Obviously that is not bumper to bumper but still. Impressive. And prob the best part was the price on this thing. About mid $40's for it and a few adds. I don't think I am laughing at Hyundai anymore. I have a new found respect for this company and the next time that I am in the car market, I am going to give them a hard look.
It is my intention to buy this car used in 2 years for about $15k.

Yeah, I don't know. It's got to be a tough sell. I wouldn't think anybody who has 60-70k to spend on a car will care that the Hyundai is a bit cheaper than a Benz or BMW. Cars at that price point are still a status symbol. I'm kind of shocked that Hyundai is going after that market. They have something going with Sonata and going after Honda consumers, but high end luxury cars? Not sure how that will work. They should of done what Toyota did and created a high end premium brand separate from their base line. Even Lexus has a hard time converting Benz owners, I have no idea how Hyundai is going to do it.

Yeah, I don't know. It's got to be a tough sell. I wouldn't think anybody who has 60-70k to spend on a car will care that the Hyundai is a bit cheaper than a Benz or BMW. Cars at that price point are still a status symbol. I'm kind of shocked that Hyundai is going after that market. They have something going with Sonata and going after Honda consumers, but high end luxury cars? Not sure how that will work. They should of done what Toyota did and created a high end premium brand separate from their base line. Even Lexus has a hard time converting Benz owners, I have no idea how Hyundai is going to do it.
I've owned 2 consecutive Benz to this current time. Tired of the high cost of maintenance and, frankly, lack of quality control. I'm going to buy a 2 year old Genesis in 2 years...seriously.

I think they are going after the consumer that is not worried about the status symbol crap and is concerned with getting value for their dollar. My friend could have bought a $60-70K car, if he wanted to, but he rather get what he was looking for and use the money saved on other things. In fact, their other car is one of those BMW SUV's. You might be right about creating another brand to build the luxury line around but at the same time, when you have people like me who sit in a Genesis and say 'wow' then their perception about the rest of the line is increased as well. So, maybe the Genesis can pull the rest of the line up rather than the rest of the line pulling the Genesis down. What I can say is that before sitting in this car, I would never have walked on to a Hyundai lot if I was looking for a new car. Now, I would and interestingly most likely the next car I will buy will be a third 'cheap' car with above average or great fuel economy. If (when?) I do, I will certainly look at the other cars that Hyundai has that might fit that.

I don't necessarily agree. Yes, you will get some consumers that are so brand conscious that they will only buy BMWs, Mercedes, or Lexus. But the difference in price is enormous between a 5 Series BMW (550i for horsepower comparison) and a 6 cylinder Genesis. I test drove both, and the Genesis has a great ride, just as much power, but not quite the handling as a 5 Series (but nothing does at that price range). And you can get a 6 cylinder Genesis for about 40K while the 550i will cost over 60K. There are lot of people that will see that you're getting a lot of car for the price. Plus, Hyundai gives very generous warranties. BMW and Mercedes are expensive to maintain.Hyundai is probably stealing from the segment that would buy Lexus and Infiniti more than the segment that buys BMWs and Mercedes. Have you actually seen how many Genesis' are out there. I see a bunch.BTW, the Sonata is a nice looking car......great choice for a car under 30K.

Hyundai was great value in the used market a few years ago, when their commitment to quality was underway but their reputation was still shoddy. Used Azeras and Santa Fe's were dirt cheap when the gas prices were high a few years ago. That is changing now - still a good buy coming off a 2 yr. lease, but probably not with the huge depreciation they used to have.

"Hey check out my new Hyundai."pass or fail?
For me, it was fail before I actually checked it out and after I did, it was a pass. I think there are a lot of people out there like me that really would poo poo anything that was Hyundai but when they experience a Genesis and get an idea of the value there- they will change their minds quickly.

Seems to me like the Genesis compares with the 350Z as well.$37,870 - $42,570 for a 2011 350Z.
370z.....I think Hyundai priced the coupe out of competition. Its competition is probably the Mustang, Camaro and 370z, but it isn't cheaper than the Mustang and Camaro and both perform better, and it is only marginally cheaper than the Z and again doesn't perform as well and the Z is MUCH better looking. And to be clear about the coupe, it is a completely different car than the sedan, and in no way is it competing with the G37. Originally Genesis was going to be a separate (luxury) line from the rest of Hyundai, but they decided against that for some reason.

Pretty impressed with Hyundai after my first buy. Best thing ever is the 2nd owner warranty. I bought a 2010 Sonata with 10K miles on it for $12K and have a better warranty than most new cars. Worry free until 2015.

Seems to me like the Genesis compares with the 350Z as well.$37,870 - $42,570 for a 2011 350Z.
370z.....I think Hyundai priced the coupe out of competition. Its competition is probably the Mustang, Camaro and 370z, but it isn't cheaper than the Mustang and Camaro and both perform better, and it is only marginally cheaper than the Z and again doesn't perform as well and the Z is MUCH better looking. And to be clear about the coupe, it is a completely different car than the sedan, and in no way is it competing with the G37. Originally Genesis was going to be a separate (luxury) line from the rest of Hyundai, but they decided against that for some reason.
That's what I don't get. The coupe is a sports car like the ones you mentioned. The sedan is what, a 5-Series level luxury sedan? Seems to be different enough to warrant different names and styling and pricing.

Friend bought a 2001 Tiburon. It's a POS death trap that I refuse to ride in. I had a Santa Fe as a rental a few weeks and and thought is was blah as well.

I saw both the Genesis and the Equus at the state fair in Dallas. I spent the first couple of minutes thinking "This is a Hyundai???" They were sweet. :mellow:

Friend bought a 2001 Tiburon. It's a POS death trap that I refuse to ride in. I had a Santa Fe as a rental a few weeks and and thought is was blah as well.
Death Trap? My 01 Tiburon saved my life in high school.going at a high rate of speed on a back road, clipped a deer, slid on sand when I tried to correct. Went airborne, rolled 5 times on the road, across the ditch and into a tree with four people in it. We're all still alive. Car was mangled but cabin was kept mostly intact.Would buy another Hyundai without hesitation.

Death Trap? My 01 Tiburon saved my life in high school.going at a high rate of speed on a back road, clipped a deer, slid on sand when I tried to correct. Went airborne, rolled 5 times on the road, across the ditch and into a tree with four people in it. We're all still alive. Car was mangled but cabin was kept mostly intact.Would buy another Hyundai without hesitation.
Did Obama get it back on the road?

Yes his car is falling apart windows don't roll down the radio doesn't work and car as a whole is shaky. I'm sure people have had different experiences with Hyundai but so far mine have been pretty negative

Mid 40's? Damn. I don't live that lifestyle probably won't until I retire. :mellow:

Hyundai changes their body styles often. So as long as you are driving one a few years old people will give it the "Bentley double-take." After a few years they start looking like most $10,000 vehicles and people are rarely fooled.

I saw both the Genesis and the Equus at the state fair in Dallas. I spent the first couple of minutes thinking "This is a Hyundai???" They were sweet. :thumbdown:
This is one product where the commercials actually tell the real story... you know those commercials they have "alright Hyundai like Sunday" with people driving them around and just :lmao: that the car is a Hyundai. Hyundai seems to be doing the right things. They remind me of Honda about 25 years ago or so.

Was working on a medium budget movie and they rented me an Accent for three months... Hated it! No pickup, small, felt cheap. I'm renting a Solaris now, however, and I'll be damned. Recently turned in my Infiniti lease and Solaris is at least in the same universe... Feels maybe 80% of the G35. PLUS, drove from Baton Rouge to Austin this weekend on a single tank. Good car. Great warrantee from what I understand. Excellent mileage. Color me impressed.

Looking at these now as a "sensible" second car, relegating the wrangler to nice weather / weekend driving.

Pretty well set on the 4.6L 8cyl. Test drove one Sunday and was very impressed. Very good ride and the thing was FAST. Nearly 400HP and 0-60 in 5.5sec is the claimed time and I believe it.

Crossed over 100mph on the on-ramp before I was fully merged onto the freeway. Smooth even at that speed. Interior is pretty well loaded at the price point (power everything, heated/cooled seats, smart cruise control (sensors keep distance), rain sensing wipers,

I'm not big on tying up a ton of cash in a depreciating asset, but I've got a dealership with a formal offer of a 2010 in cherry condition with 55k miles for under $16k ($16,499 off the lot). Car was ~$40k new and KBB is $21ish, as is NADA. :unsure:

There are a few issues to watch for (2009 rear suspension was a bit rough), Early 2012 V8s "drink" oil, Pre 2013 Nav systems can crap out on occasion, etc.... but overall owners seem to be very happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread