What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hyundai Genesis (1 Viewer)

Looking at these now as a "sensible" second car, relegating the wrangler to nice weather / weekend driving.

Pretty well set on the 4.6L 8cyl. Test drove one Sunday and was very impressed. Very good ride and the thing was FAST. Nearly 400HP and 0-60 in 5.5sec is the claimed time and I believe it.

Crossed over 100mph on the on-ramp before I was fully merged onto the freeway. Smooth even at that speed. Interior is pretty well loaded at the price point (power everything, heated/cooled seats, smart cruise control (sensors keep distance), rain sensing wipers,

I'm not big on tying up a ton of cash in a depreciating asset, but I've got a dealership with a formal offer of a 2010 in cherry condition with 55k miles for under $16k ($16,499 off the lot). Car was ~$40k new and KBB is $21ish, as is NADA. :unsure:

There are a few issues to watch for (2009 rear suspension was a bit rough), Early 2012 V8s "drink" oil, Pre 2013 Nav systems can crap out on occasion, etc.... but overall owners seem to be very happy with them.
that seems like a good deal and would be a fairly fun car to drive

I bought a 2013 Sante Fe. Hyundai is really impressing me. Better at more things than the other mid-class car companies right now.

It's a pretty big jump from a Sonata to a Genesis or Equus, right? Why doesn't Hyundai make a luxury division like Acura, Audi and Lexus?

It's a pretty big jump from a Sonata to a Genesis or Equus, right? Why doesn't Hyundai make a luxury division like Acura, Audi and Lexus?
The do have the Azera between the Sonata and Genesis but they do a poor job advertising it. It's a really nice car.

Maybe the Koreans are more egalitarianian. The Equus is the car that wealthy SKs have drivers for.

Sonata has been creeping upmarket as well... it's in the 20's and low 30's range. Genesis is 40's and low 50s range.

I bought a 2013 Sante Fe. Hyundai is really impressing me. Better at more things than the other mid-class car companies right now.
Looking at a veracruz this weekend. They're no longer in production but have good reviews and are affordable. We need a midsize suv that's dependable.

I test drove a new Genesis about 6 months back. I was shocked at how nice it was. Car had every bell and whistle, drove very nice, and was extremely spacious.

We would've gotten it, but it was just a little too big for what we needed. The lease also wasn't very attractive, but we looked at it right after it was redesigned.

After getting a close look at this car, I view Hyundai in a whole new light, very nice cars.

Sonata has been creeping upmarket as well... it's in the 20's and low 30's range. Genesis is 40's and low 50s range.
Is that like how the Altima got nicer and eventually replaced the Maxima from Nissan?
The Maxima is getting a long overdue revamp for 2016.

Looking at a veracruz this weekend. They're no longer in production but have good reviews and are affordable. We need a midsize suv that's dependable.
Bought a 2010 Veracruz last March for 15k. Love it. Comfortable ride with lots of room. Not the most agile but it is a land cruiser

Is that like how the Altima got nicer and eventually replaced the Maxima from Nissan?
The Maxima is getting a long overdue revamp for 2016.
Wow! They disappeared a couple years ago, thought they stopped the model.

They're still for sale now -- 14s and 15s on the lots. As to if they're actually selling any.... :shrug: It's just essentially the same car it was 10 years ago.

The Maxima's main problem is that it was initially pushed as a really sporty sedan. which, 15 years ago, compared to field, it was. Then they stuck the CVT in it. Then they started putting the same V6 in the Altima which was about $5000 less and you could get almost all the same bells and whistles.

If this next gen is going to have any success, they need to give it a power bump so that it outshines the Altima, I'd say put a manual in it but I know that won't happen -- but at least a dual-clutch auto transmission. Make it AWD.

I always liked the Maxima line -- I hope they do it some justice.

Bought a 2010 Veracruz last March for 15k. Love it. Comfortable ride with lots of room. Not the most agile but it is a land cruiser
That's great to hear. Seems like the best deal out there.

Checked out the 2010 today and jumped on it. Got them down to $16,250. Cherry car. Drove it home... Absolute blast to drive. Amenities/features are insane. Holy hell I wish I would have pulled the trigger on this years ago. So much fun. Pulled it up next to pop's LS460 and it's painfully obvious what they were targeting with the Genesis.

Last edited by a moderator:
My uncle went from an M3 to a Genesis (he was looking at the comparable Benz and 7 Series Beamer) and loves the car. After this, my cousins sold their Infinity and also went with a Genesis.

Both are more than happy with their cars; the value is off the charts.

Hyundai has been overcoming a lowly reputation and changing minds by delivering value and quality. They seem to do a lot of things differently in order to change those minds. I think offering the Genesis in the Hyundai brand is about that same thing- changing peoples minds about Hyundai. I think it is working.

Getting a 2009 Veracruz this week. :thumbup:

Where do we stand on these now, and had anyone picked up the Equus?

Where do we stand on these now, and had anyone picked up the Equus?
There's not a month that goes by that I don't mention to the GF how much I love the Genesis while driving around. Such a fun car to drive. Still get compliments every time someone gets in it.

Several road trips under the belt now (3hrs, 4hrs, 6hrs each way) and it's been a dream for longer stretches. Hit 140mph briefly on the way down to NOLA and it was still remarkably stable. Had the cruise at 100 for most of the trip and still got almost 20MPG. :lol:

Only issue was a bit of a spat with a local dealer on recall transmission work that was ultimately resolved properly.

Worth every penny at $16k, IMO.

Still loving this car... had some frustrating traffic this morning and the combination of excellent handling and near 400hp under the hood made short work of advancing through the gaps... all while the insane sound system melted my face :headbang:

So much fun to drive for completely opposite reasons than my Jeep....

Shopped for a while and pulled the trigger on a 2014 Genesis 5.0L r-spec with 9,500 miles on it.  Out the door for $30k was a great deal imo and it is truly a blast to drive. I don't like spending that much for a car but I don't think this deal will be there the next time I'm shopping. It does guzzle gas but I'm very happy with the purchase so far. Thanks for the heads up, [icon]! 

Shopped for a while and pulled the trigger on a 2014 Genesis 5.0L r-spec with 9,500 miles on it.  Out the door for $30k was a great deal imo and it is truly a blast to drive. I don't like spending that much for a car but I don't think this deal will be there the next time I'm shopping. It does guzzle gas but I'm very happy with the purchase so far. Thanks for the heads up, [icon]! 
Do the miles between 10k and 50k devalue a car that much?  I just bought a 2013 Infinity G37x with 32k miles and a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty for $27.5k out the door.  Based on the above, I think I got a pretty good deal unless the 22k miles betwen our cars makes a huge difference.  

Do the miles between 10k and 50k devalue a car that much?  I just bought a 2013 Infinity G37x with 32k miles and a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty for $27.5k out the door.  Based on the above, I think I got a pretty good deal unless the 22k miles betwen our cars makes a huge difference.  
I don't know if the infinity is apples to apples with the Genesis r-spec. A very quick Google implies the Genesis wins in engine, ride, sound system, reliability, and handling.  The r-spec is around $50k new and suppoesd to be a good value at that price for its class. 

I don't know if the infinity is apples to apples with the Genesis r-spec. A very quick Google implies the Genesis wins in engine, ride, sound system, reliability, and handling.  The r-spec is around $50k new and suppoesd to be a good value at that price for its class. 
I've been out of the car game for a while, so are Hyundai's now on par with Toyota, Nissan, Honda?

I am a convert to say yes on this and IMO you get much more bang for your buck because you are not buying the brand.
:goodposting:

~15k miles and a little over a year later and I still absolutely LOVE my '10 Genesis 4.6. Fantastic ride, ridiculous sound system, plenty of pep. When I purchased it there was absolutely nothing in the ballpark from Toyota/Nissan/etc at the same price point. I am sold.

My father (Lexus LS400/430 fanboy for the last 20 years or so) loves it as well and has said his next car will likely be a Genesis. 

Only downside is the MSRP is creeping up closer to their more comparable models from MB/Lexus/etc. 

:thumbup:

Glad you like it! I am impressed as hell with the power/handling of the '10 4.6L... I hear the newer models and the 5.0 are a nice step up as well. I imagine it's fun as hell. Cheers GB! :banned:

:goodposting:

~15k miles and a little over a year later and I still absolutely LOVE my '10 Genesis 4.6. Fantastic ride, ridiculous sound system, plenty of pep. When I purchased it there was absolutely nothing in the ballpark from Toyota/Nissan/etc at the same price point. I am sold.

My father (Lexus LS400/430 fanboy for the last 20 years or so) loves it as well and has said his next car will likely be a Genesis. 

Only downside is the MSRP is creeping up closer to their more comparable models from MB/Lexus/etc. 

That means the secret has gotten out.

That seems like a ridiculous deal.

Base model starts at $41k which is a little  :shock:  but fully loaded it's still $10k cheaper than the $$$$ luxury brands it competes with. 

Base model starts at $41k which is a little  :shock:  but fully loaded it's still $10k cheaper than the $$$$ luxury brands it competes with. 
 Yep… Unfortunately the Genesis is no longer the easy SOD ... but for that caliber vehicle is still prevents solid value 

Yep… Unfortunately the Genesis is no longer the easy SOD ... but for that caliber vehicle is still prevents solid value 
This is the type of vehicle that I think is a great used purchase. More than likely it wont be beat up or abused, it will have been a leased vehicle and have low mileage. I love having someone else eat the deprecation for me

This is the type of vehicle that I think is a great used purchase. More than likely it wont be beat up or abused, it will have been a leased vehicle and have low mileage. I love having someone else eat the deprecation for me
Why would someone buy one of these vehicles and not beat it up?

Why would someone buy one of these vehicles and not beat it up?
In Pa we have places called "Car Sense". They are one of those used car lots that are no haggle and sell a ton of prior leased vehicles. Vehicles in this class much like Volvo, BMW etc that get leased are more often leased by an older crowed and thus treated better. 

In Pa we have places called "Car Sense". They are one of those used car lots that are no haggle and sell a ton of prior leased vehicles. Vehicles in this class much like Volvo, BMW etc that get leased are more often leased by an older crowed and thus treated better. 
OK, ya, I guess that makes sense.  My dad (72) has a leased BMW currently.  I'd definitely be happy buying that off lease knowing how he took care of it.

Now, if I leased any sort of sporty vehicle knowing I'd be turning over the keys after a few years, I'd feel sorry for the sucker that bought that next.

OK, ya, I guess that makes sense.  My dad (72) has a leased BMW currently.  I'd definitely be happy buying that off lease knowing how he took care of it.

Now, if I leased any sort of sporty vehicle knowing I'd be turning over the keys after a few years, I'd feel sorry for the sucker that bought that next.
Exactly. I know I take much better care of my vehicles now compared to when I was in my twenties. I also would have never wanted to drive a "luxury" sedan back then.  

Users who are viewing this thread