What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Chung Benched? (1 Viewer)

Since his return from his knee injury, he hasn't played all the defensive snaps. 63/78, 56/72, 65/77 according to Mike Reiss on his ESPN blog. Sanders and Merriweather have played more snaps. Does anyone know if there been a change in the depth chart or is this still injury related. Reiss did mention in his snap count analysis that there has been a lot of subpackages for the Patriots D lately.

Yeah, I needed only a few points from him tonight and I have been VERY upset to see that he's barely been on the field.

What gives?

He got credit for 1 solo.

If this is the case I am dropping him this week. No need to play guessing games with the Pats. I did that at RB in the past.

Looks like the Patriots have varied their packages according to coverage. Meriweather and Page when they show a Cover-2 look, more of Chung when they want a DB to play man in the slot in nickel packages. Had been doing a little of that in past weeks, but Page is getting a lot more snaps tonight.

man how did he go from every down stud, to nickel duties? This sucks I thought I had the next Harrison locked up.

I'm wondering whether he's become droppable in keeper/dynasty leagues. It looks like the Pats have no shortage of high-performing young guys in the secondary. I was planning to keep him on the cheap for next year, but am considering dropping him for someone who can actually help this year in the playoffs - considering I've also bee rolling with Ward and Branch, who have also become a bit unreliable. I don't want to hang onto him if it's going to be like this next year too.

I'm wondering whether he's become droppable in keeper/dynasty leagues. It looks like the Pats have no shortage of high-performing young guys in the secondary. I was planning to keep him on the cheap for next year, but am considering dropping him for someone who can actually help this year in the playoffs - considering I've also bee rolling with Ward and Branch, who have also become a bit unreliable. I don't want to hang onto him if it's going to be like this next year too.
I'm not certain what the future holds either, but I wouldn't drop Chung in a dynasty league unless I had to have his roster spot produce in a playoff matchup. I don't think James Sanders or Jarrad Page are likely to emerge as serious long term contenders to play an every-down in the box role. With Brandon Spikes playing well and the secondary suspect, the Patriots need better zone cover DBs more than run support safeties.Belichick still trusts Chung enough to use him in man coverage in the slot at times and in robber coverage over the middle. I don't think he's falling out of the Patriots long term plans.

I'm not certain what the future holds either, but I wouldn't drop Chung in a dynasty league unless I had to have his roster spot produce in a playoff matchup. I don't think James Sanders or Jarrad Page are likely to emerge as serious long term contenders to play an every-down in the box role. With Brandon Spikes playing well and the secondary suspect, the Patriots need better zone cover DBs more than run support safeties.Belichick still trusts Chung enough to use him in man coverage in the slot at times and in robber coverage over the middle. I don't think he's falling out of the Patriots long term plans.
So Jene would you advise us its ok at this point to cut him in redraft leagues as its unlikely he gets steady in three weeks?

After a promising start, Chung turned out to be a major disappointment for IDP play. There are certainly better options at this point.

After a promising start, Chung turned out to be a major disappointment for IDP play. There are certainly better options at this point.
major disappointment? aside from 2bad weeks in my league he's been from good to awesome every other week. i know its the playoffs and everyone is in a panic, but i'd say if you got a bye in your playoffs wait on sending him to the curb. what if this was a one week aberration and you drop him and your opponent has him for the following week? that would really suckthe only time i'd say i've seen him play poorly or get toasted is when the pats tried him at covering davone bess..........and really what safety is gonna stick with Bess in the slot? thats normally the nickel CB job.i kinda believe the pats went with their bigger safety set to help the run defense against the jets. Chung is a good run support player but he is less beefy than sanders/page/merriweather

I gotta stick with him in a deep dynasty league with salaries, cap etc.... I have him signed for 2 years and can't afford to let him go. Gonna play him as one of my 3 DB's (Rhodes, Chris Harris and D McCourty are my others).

Oh and I've lost Burnett, Leonhard and now Powers so far this year... sigh....

I'm stuck with him. My other safeties are/were Dawkins (injured), Leonhard (IR'd) and Whitner (fortunately playing very well . . . for now), and I have to start 2 . . . and I'm out of FA dollars to spend.

It sucks that things changed for Chung who went from elite at his position to . . . :D

Along these lines, Jene, my thought from afar was that his performance didn't seem to change until after he lost some time mid-season due to injury. Do you think Belichick has simply limited his role because of his injury, meaning temporarily?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just dropped him. Luckily for me, there were some other good options available (I picked up Bethea). My league is fairly shallow and I just can't have a guy on my roster who isn't a lock to play half of his team's defensive snaps. They really seem to be phasing Chung out in New England. Of course, that could all change next week. But for now, I need a guy I can rely on.

63/78, 56/72, 65/77

Those were Chung's snaps the previous 3 games before the Jets game. I am willing to bet that he only got 50% of the snaps at best last Monday.

Chung has played well this season but no one can risk playing someone who is having their snaps decreasing.

63/78, 56/72, 65/77Those were Chung's snaps the previous 3 games before the Jets game. I am willing to bet that he only got 50% of the snaps at best last Monday. Chung has played well this season but no one can risk playing someone who is having their snaps decreasing.
his snap counts were known and posted in this forum last week...why was he the 6th rated db in the rankings this past week????

Defensive snaps: Butler back on radar

December, 8, 2010

By Mike Reiss

A look at the snaps played by Patriots defenders in Monday's win over the Jets, while identifying possible trends that could be a factor in Sunday's game against the Bears (as charted in press box, small margin for error):

CB Kyle Arrington -- 65 of 65

LB Jerod Mayo -- 65 of 65

S Brandon Meriweather -- 64 of 65

CB Devin McCourty -- 62 of 65

LB/DE Jermaine Cunningham -- 61 of 65

DL Vince Wilfork -- 51 of 65

DL Gerard Warren -- 45 of 65

CB Darius Butler -- 42 of 65

OLB/DE Tully Banta-Cain -- 40 of 65

LB Gary Guyton -- 39 of 65

S James Sanders -- 36 of 65

S Jarrad Page -- 28 of 65

S Patrick Chung -- 26 of 65

DL Ron Brace -- 25 of 65

LB Brandon Spikes -- 23 of 65

LB/DE Rob Ninkovich -- 22 of 65

DL Kyle Love -- 14 of 65

LB Dane Fletcher -- 7 of 65

ANALYSIS: The Patriots changed their nickel defense, using a cornerback (Darius Butler) as the fifth defensive back instead of a safety (Patrick Chung), a matchup-specific decision primarily based on the Jets' personnel at receiver. That contributed to Butler's high snap total (42). Since being replaced as a starter by Kyle Arrington on Sept. 26, Butler has just recently started to play more -- taking over for Arrington in the second half of the Nov. 21 win over the Colts and playing in sub packages Nov. 25 at Detroit. ... At safety, the Patriots mixed their combinations and had Jarrad Page (7 first-half snaps; 21 second-half snaps) getting his first action since Oct. 17 when he injured his calf. ... The 65 total snaps were fewer than the Patriots' norm and reflective of strong results on third down (Jets were 3 of 12), which ended drives. ... Rookie OLB/DE Jermaine Cunningham was utilized in a more regular role over Tully Banta-Cain and Rob Ninkovich, playing every snap in the first half and the first 16 of the second half while rushing from both a two-point and three-point stance. ... Rookie CB Devin McCourty came off for the final three snaps, with the outcome well in hand. He had played every snap but one this season prior to that point. ... Rookie DL Brandon Deaderick, who was a healthy scratch on Thanksgiving, did not play a defensive snap (he only appeared on the field-goal block team). That was a surprise given his past contributions and the Patriots not having Mike Wright (neck/concussion) and Myron Pryor (back). Rookie free agent Kyle Love has leap-frogged him on the depth chart the last two weeks. ... Rookie free agent Dane Fletcher -- who has worked mostly at inside linebacker -- took snaps at outside linebacker in a 3-4 alignment for the first time this year. That looked like a game-plan specific move geared toward being physical with tight end Dustin Keller at the line. The Jets quickly identified Fletcher's presence and ran at him with success, as he naturally had some struggles setting the edge.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

So, given that last week was matchup specific, what would we expect in terms of Chung's snaps in this week's matchup?

Just found this.

Wed, Dec 8

Chung played in 26-of-65 of the Patriots' defensive snaps Monday against the Jets, ESPN's Mike Reiss reports.

Recommendation: Chung's reduced workload was a matchup-based decision and he could see more work in Week 14, but after seeing him record just two tackles this past Monday and five in Week 12, those who have been rolling with him as an IDP might want to seek an upgrade.

(Rotowire.com)

Users who are viewing this thread