Mad Cow

***OFFICIAL*** FBG Gun Buyers Anonymous

1,884 posts in this topic

So I only recently got into the whole firearms thing, which is surprising given my father was a staff sgt on Parris Island. I inherited his collection, which included a few handguns and rifles, including a mint M1 Garand.

Earlier this year, I decided to jump in with a lot of my friends and grabbed an AR15, and quickly outfitted it with a quad rail, foregrip, M4 RDS and 3X magnifier. Awesome.

A month or 2 later, it seems I just had to have a handgun. After extensive research and looking around, I ended up grabbing a Walther P99 .40. That is a lot of fun and I keep it bedside now in a safe as personal defense and am trying to shoot it as much as possible to become as proficient as I can. I sold one of the rifles I inherited that I would have never used and pretty much converted it straight across.

So now I see all these prices for 9mm plummeting, and I say to myself, Wouldn't it be cool to get a 9mm as well for shooting? Of course it would! :excited:

So I sell the .38 special revolver I already had and then turn those funds into an FNP-9 which I get from a private seller for about $100 under internet prices. :bag:

While I am selling guns to get guns, I somehow get the feeling that at some point, I might eventually have a net positive firearms count in my home. :bag:

Is this normal? It is just so fun to take some guns out and fire away with some friends.

FWIW I bought 200 rounds of M1 food recently and am also very excited to try that bad boy out. . . :pickle:

Edited by Mad Cow

You never know when "they" are going to come over that hill.

:excited:

I'll be over when "they" come.

I can't even imagine how nice of a high-end gaming rig I could have purchased or upgraded with the :bag: I have spent on the guns and ammo, and yet somehow, I don't care. . . :nerd::bag:

Is this normal? It is just so fun to take some guns out and fire away with some friends.

Explain this to somebody that's never fired a gun before. You guys just sit around shooting at targets? Is there like some sort of competition? How long does this go on for?

Explain this to somebody that's never fired a gun before. You guys just sit around shooting at targets? Is there like some sort of competition? How long does this go on for?
Well, we generally get 3-8 guys up to the foothills of the nearby mountain. We all have AR15's and multiple handguns. We set out a number of targets and shoot out own/try each other's firearms. Generally we are there for maybe 2 hours. Where we go is maybe 5 minutes up a gravel road from our subdivision, so it is easy to throw together an "outing".

If you have never done it before, it is hard to describe. There is just SOMETHING awesome about firing a few mags out of an AR15. :excited:

Take home message to all of this is, of course, if you are gonna home invade at Mad Cow's, you better be wearing body armor. Of course, after I knock you on your butt with my .40 I am going for my AR which will rip on through it anyway, so just go ahead and keep your distance. ;)

Ever played golf? It's sorta like that. Except with gunpowder.

:excited: I don't get it.

That would make golf a lot more interesting to watch.

I don't own a gun, but I do go shooting at least a few times a year near Tahoe and occasionally trap/skeet. I love it. Time (kids) and money (bullets) prevent me from going more often, but I definitely would if I could.

:excited: I don't get it.
Never been to a driving range either, eh?

They should do something like that. -1 stroke if you hit the fat lady in the sundress.

Glock not only makes a wonderfully reliable handgun, they make conversion kits so that you can turn your .40 into a .22. This makes plinking very affordable and it does provide some utility in use as a tool.

Take home message to all of this is, of course, if you are gonna home invade at Mad Cow's, you better be wearing body armor. Of course, after I knock you on your butt with my .40 I am going for my AR which will rip on through it anyway, so just go ahead and keep your distance. :rolleyes:

this is after you wake up, find the safe, open it and sight the target, right?

that said.. i've been considering getting one for target shooting :rolleyes:

Take home message to all of this is, of course, if you are gonna home invade at Mad Cow's, you better be wearing body armor. Of course, after I knock you on your butt with my .40 I am going for my AR which will rip on through it anyway, so just go ahead and keep your distance. :mellow:

:rolleyes: The best thing for home defense is the sound of a pump shotgun. That and a big german shepherd.

I'm not much of a golf guy either, but I don't want to hijack here.
You know that thing you really enjoy doing? It's similar to that.SchlzmI'm on a horse.

You know that thing you really enjoy doing? It's similar to that.SchlzmI'm on a horse.
:hophead:

:hophead:
:lmao::bag::lmao:

Hah, I discovered the same thing, buying guns and shooting them is addictive. I've mostly stuck to handguns, but I'm planning on bringing an AR-15 into my life in the next few months.

Have you ever looked at a 1911? .45 ACPs make 9mm bullets seem tiny.

Only if Cigar Guy is there.

Take home message to all of this is, of course, if you are gonna home invade at Mad Cow's, you better be wearing body armor. Of course, after I knock you on your butt with my .40 I am going for my AR which will rip on through it anyway, so just go ahead and keep your distance. :bag:

:fishing: The best thing for home defense is the sound of a pump shotgun. That and a big german shepherd.
I won't dispute either of those. I will say I have my pistol at bedside, and it is one of those electronic safes that you open with a 4-digit combination. I would have it out in about 3 seconds, and it is already loaded with an additional loaded mag right there with it. Push comes to shove, I have my entire family upstairs in our home. I hear anything downstairs, I set up camp at the top of the stairs and let nothing make it to the top. Sure, it will likely never happen, but it is nice to have there, if for no other reason that to take it out and shoot with some good friends. Edited by Mad Cow

I won't dispute either of those. I will say I have my pistol at bedside, and it is one of those electronic safes that you open with a 4-digit combination. I would have it out in about 3 seconds, and it is already loaded with a loaded mag right there with it. Push comes to shove, I have my entire family upstairs in our home. I hear anything downstairs, I set up camp at the top of the stairs and let nothing make it to the top. Sure, it will likely never happen, but it is nice to have there, if for no other reason that to take it out and shoot with some good friends.

That works. Of course, I'm the guy that thinks it should be mandatory to own a gun... :fishing:

Hah, I discovered the same thing, buying guns and shooting them is addictive. I've mostly stuck to handguns, but I'm planning on bringing an AR-15 into my life in the next few months. Have you ever looked at a 1911? .45 ACPs make 9mm bullets seem tiny.

I have no doubt. The .40 makes a 9mm look small, as well. There are a number of 1911 manufacturers that are making affordable 1911's, in the $400-600 range, including one by Magnum Research (makers of the Desert Eagle). At some point, one might make its way to my home, but not today. . .I look forward to hearing about your AR. I got mine barely used (Rock River Arms Entry Tactical) and it has been so fun to shoot. The fact that that weapon is so reliable and can be so accurate for such great distances is amazing. I have a friend that has spent 2 tours in Afghanistan in special forces, and while he doesn't go into too many specifics, when he learned about my AR acquisition, he sat down and talked about how much he loved that rifle. He told me that while they were given all the greatest optics in his position, he had a couple of instances where he had to take down a couple of live targets with iron sights from 400 yards. :thumbup: I don't even question him either. If he was a 25 yr old, I might say he was being brash, but this is the most humble, unassuming 45 yr old I have ever met. I would have assumed he was a librarian if I didn't know what he really did.

I won't dispute either of those. I will say I have my pistol at bedside, and it is one of those electronic safes that you open with a 4-digit combination. I would have it out in about 3 seconds, and it is already loaded with a loaded mag right there with it. Push comes to shove, I have my entire family upstairs in our home. I hear anything downstairs, I set up camp at the top of the stairs and let nothing make it to the top. Sure, it will likely never happen, but it is nice to have there, if for no other reason that to take it out and shoot with some good friends.

That works. Of course, I'm the guy that thinks it should be mandatory to own a gun... :shrug:
Well :thumbup: to you then, my friend. :)

You could say the same thing about masturbation.

Not quite as fun going to the masturbation range. :no:

It doesn't matter if you have a .22 plinker, .380ppk, 12ga combat, or a man-portable protein cannon. Squeezing off a few rounds is always excellent stress relief. Schlzm

Not quite as fun going to the masturbation range. :lmao:
:no::X:lmao::X:lmao:

That works. Of course, I'm the guy that thinks it should be mandatory to own a gun... :kicksrock:
Andy pushing for bigger gov't. ;)

I do know what I would like my next gun purchase to be. . .

H&K SL8 converted to G36 :popcorn:

Glock not only makes a wonderfully reliable handgun, they make conversion kits so that you can turn your .40 into a .22. This makes plinking very affordable and it does provide some utility in use as a tool.

I have been interested in a Glock 17 for quite a while now. Seems pretty reliable and very easy to maintain. I was wondering what the boards opinion was of this weapon? Seems to be quite a few 9mm choices in the $450 to $550 range.

I still have a box of 2160 rounds of 7.62 x 39 mm bullets I bought ca. 15 years ago for my SKS. Anyone know how long that will stay?

I have been interested in a Glock 17 for quite a while now. Seems pretty reliable and very easy to maintain. I was wondering what the boards opinion was of this weapon? Seems to be quite a few 9mm choices in the $450 to $550 range.
Choosing a handgun really depends so much on why you want one and your budget, let alone how they feel in your hands. What is the purpose of the pistol and your budget?

I still have a box of 2160 rounds of 7.62 x 39 mm bullets I bought ca. 15 years ago for my SKS. Anyone know how long that will stay?

I don't know, I see craploads of people trying to offload their AK food here in Utah on the local classifieds. AK's were pretty darn popular for so long, but AR and .223 prices have come down to the point where it makes more sense to use the more accurate and incredibly fun to mod gun.

I see you in here S.K.A. Let's hear your collection. :lmao:

Choosing a handgun really depends so much on why you want one and your budget, let alone how they feel in your hands. What is the purpose of the pistol and your budget?
Honestly, mostly just for fun, nothing serious. I don't live in an area where personal protection is a concern. I have free access to a pretty nice (outdoor) range. That $550 number would be the upper end of my budget.