What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Actual Points / Potential Points (1 Viewer)

Dt's Mules

Footballguy
This is my first time in a league with rosters this deep and I think I'm doing a pretty poor job of "coaching", but have no real frame of reference.

Through 4 weeks, my total points are 666.95 and my potential points are 769.35 (86.7% efficiency).

MFL has that stat readily available which I like. I generally hope to stay above 90%, but I'm wondering if that is even feasible with the rosters as deep as they are.

How good of a coach are you?

On the scoreboard from each week, you can see your actual points compared to your optimal points. I just added those 4 weeks up.

I've scored 618.25 out of a possible 714.45 (86.5%). Seems like a good number but since I've never looked at that stat before I don't really know. Might be interesting to look at the rest of the teams in my league.

Mine have been so-so although I have been hit with in-game injuries in all 3 of my leagues:

86.3%

83.8%

83.9%

Looks like with optimal performance I would have picked up 2 wins out of the group

Through 5 weeks I'm at 87.8%.

I checked all the teams in my league through the first 5 weeks and below are the standings with the % for each team.

1st place 4-1: 93.8%

2nd place 4-1: 87.8%

3rd place 4-1: 87.9%

4th place 3-2: 87.7%

5th place 3-2: 78.9%

6th place 3-2: 83.1%

7th place 2-3: 82.5%

8th place 2-3: 81.5%

9th place 2-3: 80.3%

10th place 2-3: 83.0%

11th place 1-4: 74.1%

12th place 0-5: 83.9%

It looks like there is a rough correlation between coaching efficiency and overall record. It may also be that the teams at the top of the standings have the better players who tend to score a higher percentage of those teams' points, minimizing the effect of any 'coaching missteps' on the lesser players. Looking at the best possible total points for each team lends support to this theory. There are a few outliers but in general, the teams with the lowest 'best' total points are near the bottom of the standings.

1st place 4-1: 805.6

2nd place 4-1: 849.9

3rd place 4-1: 774.4

4th place 3-2: 799.8

5th place 3-2: 871.95

6th place 3-2: 782.45

7th place 2-3: 810.25

8th place 2-3: 732.3

9th place 2-3: 714.65

10th place 2-3: 669.3

11th place 1-4: 735.8

12th place 0-5: 682.15

I take the calculation with a grain of salt. I'm just a tick under 97% and its the last thing I consider important. In fact, why is my efficiency rating so high on this team that currently sits with a losing record?

It lacks depth; no strong 3rd option at RB; only one kicker; only one Defense; injury issues at QB and WR... so I have guys on the bench not playing. I also have some hand-cuffs and projects. So, I don't have a huge number of bench points. Team isn't built that way. Deep keeper... so I build the team for the long haul.

In contrast, one guy in my league has a deep bench. He constantly complains he didn't have his "optimal" line-up. Good luck chasing that!

I take the calculation with a grain of salt. I'm just a tick under 97% and its the last thing I consider important. In fact, why is my efficiency rating so high on this team that currently sits with a losing record?It lacks depth; no strong 3rd option at RB; only one kicker; only one Defense; injury issues at QB and WR... so I have guys on the bench not playing. I also have some hand-cuffs and projects. So, I don't have a huge number of bench points. Team isn't built that way. Deep keeper... so I build the team for the long haul.In contrast, one guy in my league has a deep bench. He constantly complains he didn't have his "optimal" line-up. Good luck chasing that!
The optimal line-up chasing was me last year. So many top players from drafting that develop and so on that I was always chasing. With optimal lineup, I would have won the SB and not finish sub 500

As some other people have said that stat looks misleading when you take into account depth, backups, and roster composition . The best i can do is start the guys on my team that I think will score the most points each week and hope for the best. If not starting the optimum lineup bothers you that much you should seek out teams with stud players but glaring holes in their lineups and try to swing a 2 or 3 for 1 trade with them.

I take the calculation with a grain of salt. I'm just a tick under 97% and its the last thing I consider important. In fact, why is my efficiency rating so high on this team that currently sits with a losing record?

It lacks depth; no strong 3rd option at RB; only one kicker; only one Defense; injury issues at QB and WR... so I have guys on the bench not playing. I also have some hand-cuffs and projects. So, I don't have a huge number of bench points. Team isn't built that way. Deep keeper... so I build the team for the long haul.

In contrast, one guy in my league has a deep bench. He constantly complains he didn't have his "optimal" line-up. Good luck chasing that!
The optimal line-up chasing was me last year. So many top players from drafting that develop and so on that I was always chasing. With optimal lineup, I would have won the SB and not finish sub 500
A bit of a contrived example, but suppose you have to pick 3 WRs out of 6 to have the best week and all 6 are essentially the same caliber.The odds of getting the "best" 3... just 5%

.5 * .4 * .25 = .05

A bit of a contrived example, but suppose you have to pick 3 WRs out of 6 to have the best week and all 6 are essentially the same caliber.The odds of getting the "best" 3... just 5%

.5 * .4 * .25 = .05
Damn alcohol, math is all skewed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread