What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Chicago Cubs 2011 World Champions Thread *** (1 Viewer)

The Chicago Cubs are showing interest in free agent first baseman Carlos Peña, according to a major-league source.Peña, 32, is coming off a disappointing contract year with the Tampa Bay Rays. He batted just .196 with 28 home runs and 84 RBIs in 144 games. He also missed time due to an injured heel.Hitter-friendly Wrigley Field would be a favorable landing spot for Peña, particularly if he plans to reestablish his value over a short-term deal. (The one-year strategy worked well for Adrian Beltre, a fellow Scott Boras client, this year at Fenway Park.)The fact that Peña bats left-handed is another selling point. The Cubs don’t have an experienced left-handed power hitter on their current roster.Peña is a former Gold Glove winner, and his defensive ability would be an asset for the Cubs. Chicago infielders had grown accustomed to playing with Derrek Lee, a big target at first and former Gold Glover himself.Manager Mike Quade doesn’t have an obvious internal candidate to play first base this year, although it’s possible that outfielder Tyler Colvin could handle the position in the long term.The Cubs also have shown interest in free agent Lance Berkman.
:lmao: If the Cubs sign this clown I might have to quit this effing team. Chicago has enough donkeys that can't make contact at the plate without Pena's atrocious bat in the lineup.

The Chicago Cubs are showing interest in free agent first baseman Carlos Peña, according to a major-league source.Peña, 32, is coming off a disappointing contract year with the Tampa Bay Rays. He batted just .196 with 28 home runs and 84 RBIs in 144 games. He also missed time due to an injured heel.Hitter-friendly Wrigley Field would be a favorable landing spot for Peña, particularly if he plans to reestablish his value over a short-term deal. (The one-year strategy worked well for Adrian Beltre, a fellow Scott Boras client, this year at Fenway Park.)The fact that Peña bats left-handed is another selling point. The Cubs don’t have an experienced left-handed power hitter on their current roster.Peña is a former Gold Glove winner, and his defensive ability would be an asset for the Cubs. Chicago infielders had grown accustomed to playing with Derrek Lee, a big target at first and former Gold Glover himself.Manager Mike Quade doesn’t have an obvious internal candidate to play first base this year, although it’s possible that outfielder Tyler Colvin could handle the position in the long term.The Cubs also have shown interest in free agent Lance Berkman.
:towelwave: If the Cubs sign this clown I might have to quit this effing team. Chicago has enough donkeys that can't make contact at the plate without Pena's atrocious bat in the lineup.
One year, ten million.Welcome to the club?

It looks like to me the Cubs are trying to set up a salary purge.

2011 - ####udome (13.5M off the books), Ramirez (14.6M with 2M buyout), Silva (11.5M with 2M buyout), Grabow (4.8M), and now it seems Pena (10M)

2012 - Dempster (14M), Byrd (6.5M)

That leaves 37.2M committed to Soriano/Zambrano in 2013 and 18M to Soriano in 2014 to the old guard.

The big problem is that the Cubs hitter prospects that are expected to be most ready by the end of 2011/beginning of 2012 are mainly outfielders. Colvin must get 600 PA this year and should get 700 PA while the other OF fit around him. Other OF like Brett Jackson and Brandon Guyer could be ready by the start of next year or earlier with no starting spots open. The possible openings on the infield corners have appear to have no takers in the upper minors aside from if Vitters ever figures out what pitches not to swing at. Chris Archer, Jay Jackson, Chris Carpenter, and Trey McNutt could be challengers for the rotation in the next 2 years and there are spots to be taken if they impress.

It is interesting to see if Quade can survive an environment where the Cubs are avoiding adding long term salary and looking at one year flyers on veterans and prospects to fill spots. Unless the right player at the right price becomes available, I have no problem with the Cubs waiting for all or most of these contracts to expire to begin adding the pieces around their youth by 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
:rolleyes: If the Cubs sign this clown I might have to quit this effing team. Chicago has enough donkeys that can't make contact at the plate without Pena's atrocious bat in the lineup.
:unsure: I'm pretty bummed right now. Pena and Soriano could lead the NL in strikeouts by themselves. Awful signing.

:rolleyes: If the Cubs sign this clown I might have to quit this effing team. Chicago has enough donkeys that can't make contact at the plate without Pena's atrocious bat in the lineup.
:unsure: I'm pretty bummed right now. Pena and Soriano could lead the NL in strikeouts by themselves. Awful signing.
Got a better chance now with Reynolds in the AL.

:goodposting: I'm pretty bummed right now. Pena and Soriano could lead the NL in strikeouts by themselves. Awful signing.
Not overjoyed about Pena at 1st this year either. But what would you have wanted? LaRoche? I am guessing they had no chance at Gonzalez with the Padre knowledge of the Red Sox system and probably better prospects on top of it.

:bag: I'm pretty bummed right now. Pena and Soriano could lead the NL in strikeouts by themselves. Awful signing.
Not overjoyed about Pena at 1st this year either. But what would you have wanted? LaRoche? I am guessing they had no chance at Gonzalez with the Padre knowledge of the Red Sox system and probably better prospects on top of it.
They had no chance at Gonzalez because they can't afford him.

:confused: I'm pretty bummed right now. Pena and Soriano could lead the NL in strikeouts by themselves. Awful signing.
Keep living in your fantasy world where the Cubs will start to be strapped for cash. We have little idea who else was involved for Gonzalez but the Cubs only issue with him would have been 2011. If they could have fit in him then, his contract would have been easily fit it under the budget in subsequent years.Just enjoy the fact that they gave out a bunch of huge contracts that have put them in the position they are as well as the big offseason the White Sox are having. But if you are thinking the Cubs won't be spending a ton of money come 2012 offseason if not sooner, you are very delusional.

I'm not wild about the Pena deal but it seems this year will be a lost anyhow...so at least it's only a 1 year contract.

boubucarow said:
Grahamburn said:
:shrug:Give that $10 million to someone who will actually move a runner over instead of striking out or popping up in a key situation. I've just watched this guy play for several years in a row living in the Tampa area and he is a HUGE hole in any lineup. He has no plate discipline or count awareness. It's always an all or nothing at bat regardless of the game situation.This is yet another example why the Rays can field competitive teams year in and year out with low payrolls while the Cubs spend big and lose big every season. Idiots.

boubucarow said:
Grahamburn said:
:kicksrock: I'm pretty bummed right now. Pena and Soriano could lead the NL in strikeouts by themselves. Awful signing.
:shrug:Give that $10 million to someone who will actually move a runner over instead of striking out or popping up in a key situation. I've just watched this guy play for several years in a row living in the Tampa area and he is a HUGE hole in any lineup. He has no plate discipline or count awareness. It's always an all or nothing at bat regardless of the game situation.This is yet another example why the Rays can field competitive teams year in and year out with low payrolls while the Cubs spend big and lose big every season. Idiots.
The Rays paid Pena $10.25M last year. The Cubs are paying him $10M this year. What's the difference? :shrug:

boubucarow said:
Grahamburn said:
:excited: I'm pretty bummed right now. Pena and Soriano could lead the NL in strikeouts by themselves. Awful signing.
:yes:Give that $10 million to someone who will actually move a runner over instead of striking out or popping up in a key situation. I've just watched this guy play for several years in a row living in the Tampa area and he is a HUGE hole in any lineup. He has no plate discipline or count awareness. It's always an all or nothing at bat regardless of the game situation.This is yet another example why the Rays can field competitive teams year in and year out with low payrolls while the Cubs spend big and lose big every season. Idiots.
The Rays paid Pena $10.25M last year. The Cubs are paying him $10M this year. What's the difference? :shrug:
And the questions remains, who would have been better?

I think a one-year market rate deal for Pena is probably better than a multi-year deal for someone like Adam LaRoche. Pena offers more power than someone like Overbay or Nick Johnson, which the Cubs need. Pena isn't the long term solution but he'll keep the spot warm.The big question is whether the Cubs will make a serious run at Prince Fielder, who's looking like the only 1B FA option next year. Their system doesn't look like it has a lot of bats coming up in the future. I like Brett Jackson but he's not a 30 HR guy.

I think a one-year market rate deal for Pena is probably better than a multi-year deal for someone like Adam LaRoche. Pena offers more power than someone like Overbay or Nick Johnson, which the Cubs need. Pena isn't the long term solution but he'll keep the spot warm.The big question is whether the Cubs will make a serious run at Prince Fielder, who's looking like the only 1B FA option next year. Their system doesn't look like it has a lot of bats coming up in the future. I like Brett Jackson but he's not a 30 HR guy.
As it stands right now, the only 30 HR guy coming up could be Vitters at 3B but he might be a .300 OBP guy if he doesn't learn to not swing at everything. Jackson is do-it-all type who will get on base but 30 HR is asking for a bit too much. Guyer is looking like he could make the team soon in the outfield but he is a 15 HR guy. Beyond that any player has a lot of development to go. I hope to see what a full time Colvin can produce after 20 HR in 358 AB although he is a lot like Vitters with only a 315 OBP last year. First base has to come from outside the organization for the foreseeable future. And if the outfield is Colvin, Jackson, Guyer in 2015, power from the corner infielders is probably a must. It will be telling to see if the Cubs are in the Fielder sweepstakes next fall because there is little doubt he will be the best option. If that is the plan, there is no doubt that a one year deal was the best option.

boubucarow said:
Limp Ditka said:
boubucarow said:
Grahamburn said:
:wub: I'm pretty bummed right now. Pena and Soriano could lead the NL in strikeouts by themselves. Awful signing.
Keep living in your fantasy world where the Cubs will start to be strapped for cash. We have little idea who else was involved for Gonzalez but the Cubs only issue with him would have been 2011. If they could have fit in him then, his contract would have been easily fit it under the budget in subsequent years.Just enjoy the fact that they gave out a bunch of huge contracts that have put them in the position they are as well as the big offseason the White Sox are having. But if you are thinking the Cubs won't be spending a ton of money come 2012 offseason if not sooner, you are very delusional.
Sorry, but it's no pipe dream.Ricketts has only been in power for a little over a year, and he's already on bended knee pleading with the state for money which he's not going to get.Attendance is down two straight years, and with the product on the field it's going to go down again this year. And as that happens, the revenue starts to dwindle. This is now a family business (see Chicago Bears). Purse strings will be drawn tight. It won't get to the point that they fall out of the top 10 / 12 in payroll, but payroll isn't increasing anytime soon. The only way they will win will to be to build from within. Considering the track record of the people in place, you better start thinking that 103 years isn't a long time.

boubucarow said:
Limp Ditka said:
boubucarow said:
Grahamburn said:
:blackdot: I'm pretty bummed right now. Pena and Soriano could lead the NL in strikeouts by themselves. Awful signing.
Sorry, but it's no pipe dream.Ricketts has only been in power for a little over a year, and he's already on bended knee pleading with the state for money which he's not going to get.Attendance is down two straight years, and with the product on the field it's going to go down again this year. And as that happens, the revenue starts to dwindle. This is now a family business (see Chicago Bears). Purse strings will be drawn tight. It won't get to the point that they fall out of the top 10 / 12 in payroll, but payroll isn't increasing anytime soon. The only way they will win will to be to build from within. Considering the track record of the people in place, you better start thinking that 103 years isn't a long time.
Attendance has slipped by 3,000 a game in two years and the Cubs drew at over 92% capacity last year. After the Cubs lost in the 2003 playoffs, they posted 89, 79, and then 66 wins not making the playoffs. The attendance slipped to 94% capacity in 2006. The White Sox haven't outdrawn the Cubs since the early 90's despite being a far more successful club and more capacity. The Cubs outdrew the Sox by 10K last year winning winning 13 less games.Will attendance slip again if the Cubs get off to a bad start, sure. Will it drop so much as to dramatically hurt the bottom line, little chance. Ricketts is asking for money to update Wrigley Field, period. The Cubs payroll will be around 130M this year which will be in the top 8 team range like they have been ranging from as high as #3 down. Not much changing there. The Cubs will draw more than the White Sox and be able to spend more than the White Sox from year to year. The key is if the Cubs continue to make bad decisions with their money.Now if you are tying to state that the Cubs will continue to misspend, fine. I can understand that hope from a South Side fan.But if you are saying their payroll will suffer long term from the new ownership and a fall in the standings, I don't see the evidence.

From Jayson Starks strange but true

• We're still trying to figure out our favorite Strange But True Carlos Marmol feat of the year. Here's one: He piled up more strikeouts in relief (138) this past season than 63 starting pitchers who made at least 20 starts.

• And here's another one: Marmol faced 332 hitters this past season. Only 134 of them figured out a way to have the ball leave the batter's box. Everybody else (all 198 of them) either walked, got hit by a pitch or whiffed. No kidding.

I was at the game when he struck out Hart, Braun, and Fielder swinging. In 15 pitches, only Fielder fouled off a pitched and it was barely. They had no chance.

Marmol is a bit wild but when he's on his A game I daresay he's the best closer in all of baseball.
Yeah, agreed. He almost always was wild on the first batter and then would often improve. Also, his devastating slider that makes hitters look goofy is much more controllable than his fastball.

• And here's another one: Marmol faced 332 hitters this past season. Only 134 of them figured out a way to have the ball leave the batter's box. Everybody else (all 198 of them) either walked, got hit by a pitch or whiffed. No kidding.
Holy ####. :shrug:

Source: Cubs near Matt Garza tradeThe Tampa Bay Rays and Chicago Cubs are close to agreeing to a multi-player deal that would bring right-handed pitcher Matt Garza to Chicago, according to a major league source.The deal could include upwards of eight players.The Cubs and at least three other teams had been negotiating with the Rays about Garza since the winter meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. on Dec. 5.Garza, 27, is coming off his best big league season, compiling a 15-10 record with a 3.91 ERA. Garza averaged 6.6 strikeouts and 2.77 walks per nine innings. Hitters batted .248 against Garza in 2010.Tampa, in the mode of retooling over the next few seasons, was willing to trade Garza for top young talent. The Rays were looking to get a shortstop, a catcher and some top-caliber young pitching in return for their pitcher.Bruce Levine covers baseball for ESPNChicago.com and ESPN 1000.

Cubs selling the farm to get Garza from the Rays. What the #### are they thinking?
Garza is a solid player. Who exactly are they giving up?
Yeah, Garza is solid. And he'll surely improve in the NL Central. But the Cubs aren't in a position to be dealing this many top prospects.
The Cubs will be sending four of their top 16 minor leaguers -- including their top prospect, right-hander Chris Archer -- and outfielder Sam Fuld to Tampa Bay in exchange for Garza, a minor league pitcher and a minor league outfielder, ESPN Chicago reports.

The Rays also would get shortstop Hak-Ju Lee (No. 4, according to Baseball America), outfielder Brandon Guyer (No. 10) and catcher Robinson Chirinos (No. 16). Guyer was named the Cubs' minor league player of the year in 2010, and Archer their top pitcher.
link

Cubs selling the farm to get Garza from the Rays. What the #### are they thinking?
Selling the Farm?? really? The five prospects they are giving up might never play for the Rays - they didn't give up any of their top guysArcher is the only one I see with a good shot and the Rays are already very deep in pitching so even that is a maybe

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cubs will be sending four of their top 16 minor leaguers -- including their top prospect, right-hander Chris Archer -- and outfielder Sam Fuld to Tampa Bay in exchange for Garza, a minor league pitcher and a minor league outfielder, ESPN Chicago reports.

The Rays also would get shortstop Hak-Ju Lee (No. 4, according to Baseball America), outfielder Brandon Guyer (No. 10) and catcher Robinson Chirinos (No. 16). Guyer was named the Cubs' minor league player of the year in 2010, and Archer their top pitcher.
link
No way is Garza worth all that. I can't believe the Cubs would give up that much.

Selling the Farm?? really? The five prospects they are giving up might never play for the Rays - they didn't give up any of their top guysArcher is the only one I see with a good shot and the Rays are already very deep in pitching so even that is a maybe
It's not a matter of whether these guys will play for the Rays. It's whether they'd play for the Cubs. Whether they'd be able to trade any of these folk off for somebody else.

:mellow: Anytime I can get a CC Sabathia for a Matt LaPorta I do it every time. NONE of the prospects mentioned is in the same hemisphere as LaPorta was as a prospect.Garza isn't eligible for FA until 2014. I think the Cubs did ok here.

None of their top prospects?? Archer is ranked #1 by Baseball America.

Premier said:
Captain Hook said:
pantagrapher said:
The Cubs system isn't exactly loaded, but it'll be a lot less after the trade.I think the Greinke trade is a good point of reference. Greinke>>Garza but the extra cost-controlled year for Garza closes the gap. The Royals got three MLB ready players and the Brewers' #1 prospect. I don't think the deal is necessarily that bad for the Cubs.

Premier said:
Captain Hook said:
pantagrapher said:
He was the #1 CUBS prospect, which puts him into the Corey Patterson pantheon.

Premier said:
Captain Hook said:
pantagrapher said:
Well if you want to go that stupid route and compare everybody to one player, maybe you guys just got stuck with Scott Kazmir. :shrug:Andrew Friedman doesn't make many bad trades. I'll roll with him here.

Looking at it more, it's not as horrible as I initially thought. But I'm still not crazy about it. I'm glad I don't see Brett Jackson and Josh Vitters out there, because I think both have a chance to be solid. Dealing Lee makes sense with the emergence of Castro. I hate losing Archer and Guyer though.

Premier said:
Captain Hook said:
pantagrapher said:
Well if you want to go that stupid route and compare everybody to one player, maybe you guys just got stuck with Scott Kazmir. :shrug:Andrew Friedman doesn't make many bad trades. I'll roll with him here.
I was indicting the Cubs developmental system and history more than I was comparing him to Patterson.

Users who are viewing this thread