What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Skill vs Luck (1 Viewer)

Golfjim

Footballguy
I love reading all of the topics, especially the ones that talk about "they knew this and they knew that". BS. What ALL of this really boils down to is, AT BEST, 70% skill as opposed to 30% luck. Probably closer to 60/40.

I love reading all of the topics, especially the ones that talk about "they knew this and they knew that". BS. What ALL of this really boils down to is, AT BEST, 70% skill as opposed to 30% luck. Probably closer to 60/40.
Probably closer to 40/60

Skill = knowledge. When everyone works from the same knowledge, as we do in this day and age, it boils down to in large part luck. But why do the some of the same names always appear on the tops of the leaderboards in some of the high stakes leagues?

in the days before the innerwebs, it was a lot more "skill", but with the proliferation of information, I'd venture to say it's at least 50% luck.

That's why I do like this league (and others that reward total points). I'm 8th in the whole contest in total points, but have a 3-2 record and tied for 4th in the standings.

Skill = knowledge. When everyone works from the same knowledge, as we do in this day and age, it boils down to in large part luck. But why do the some of the same names always appear on the tops of the leaderboards in some of the high stakes leagues?
This is always the one fact that still convinces me there is at least a greater part skill then luck. Of course there is luck involved but the consistent players are obviously doing something right with the same info available to every player. Some times you will get hit with an inordinate amount of injuries, etc. I can always go and find reasons within my control I could've improved upon throughout the season that may have enabled me to overcome even losing a 1st or 2nd rounder. Of course the way things play out sometimes enables you to win in spite of a mistake.Ex. You missed out on Brandon Lloyd in FA. Maybe a team who is beneath you has him and knocks the Team out of contention you needed to lose, to allow you into a playoff spot..Skill or luck?? You lost out on him, but won

A big luck factor is when you play someone in a H2H game. Maybe your playing someone who is trying in week 5 and has a full line up then in week 11 the guy your 1 game behind in the playoffs against plays the same guy who stopped making waiver moves and plays injured players. You lost to this guy when he was trying and fielding a full line up and now the other guy gets a free win.

Huge luck factor in High stakes H2H contests. These need to moved to all play contests to remove much of the luck factor as far as scheduling goes.

Huge luck factor in High stakes H2H contests. These need to moved to all play contests to remove much of the luck factor as far as scheduling goes.
Here here. ESPN/CBS/Yahoo, should attempt to make this the standard.The hardcore will likely agree, its getting the casuals in on it to catch fire.

in the days before the innerwebs, it was a lot more "skill", but with the proliferation of information, I'd venture to say it's at least 50% luck.That's why I do like this league (and others that reward total points). I'm 8th in the whole contest in total points, but have a 3-2 record and tied for 4th in the standings.
At least 50-50 these days. Maybe even more on the luck side. The game has been dumbed down for the masses to play. My daughter won my work league in her first year playing. The only player she knowns are Manning, Brady, Farve, Moss, ADP..guy that are always in the news. She ends up with A. Foster and Bowe on easy picks, and drafts Mike Vick when he was not even starting.Injuries have been a killer this year too. In my big league I have lost Romo, Finley,Thomas, Addai, Nicks..the core of my team is gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has to be more than 50 Skill 50% luck. Look at Mr. Hubbard and all his teams in the top 30!! This is no accident.

An individual league has a lot of luck involved, but across many seasons or many leagues the luck evens out pretty quickly. Play a lot of leagues and your results aren't lucky or unlucky.

in the days before the innerwebs, it was a lot more "skill", but with the proliferation of information, I'd venture to say it's at least 50% luck.That's why I do like this league (and others that reward total points). I'm 8th in the whole contest in total points, but have a 3-2 record and tied for 4th in the standings.
:hophead: When I first started playing 20 years ago all we the updates we got were in the USA Today sports page. You really had to do your homework and there were such a thing as sleepers. Luck was involved but the guys who put the time in usually made it till the end.Now there is so much info out there you hardly have to even prepare. A guy won my 12 team work league from auto-picking on CBS. 50-50

Luck=75% Skill=25%If your in a League with 11 poor drafters,more guys in your League give up playing. Why has the same Lady won the Lottery 7 times = Skill? No, Luck.

Because the owners are TE whores? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread