What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Jailbreak your iPhone, iPad, iPod Thread (1 Viewer)

No. 16

Footballguy
Figured I'd start a separate thread to discuss the jailbreaking. I'm a n00b myself so learning from other FBGs is a safer way to learn rather then going out to the jailbreak community.

For those of you looking to jailbreak the process itself is simple, legal, and reversible. Greenp0ison and Limera1n are the current hacks. I think greenp0ison has limitations, but if you can use that to jailbreak use it over limera1n because it is more stable.

So please feel free to ask questions and/or share you packages (apps) and repositories (source for apps) that you are using.

Here are some tweaks that I love....

- Cydia - the App Store for the jailbreak community

- Winterboard - you can customize how you iPhone looks (battery icon, etc)

- Android Lock XT ($1.49) - Android style lock pattern instead of 4 digit pin code.

- SBSettings - drop down menu for WiFi, 3g, bluetooth, location services, brightness to easily manage battery life.

- Snappy ($1.99) - Allows you to take pictures/videos from the lockscreen/any app. Saves you time when you need a quick picture. Also turns the volume buttons into shutter control! No more searching for the button/unstable picture taking.

- LastApp - You can switch to the last app you used with a simple gesture.

- biteSMS (trial then 4.99 or Free w/ ADs) - Allows you to quick reply to SMS without exiting an app and from the lock screen. Can customize SMS settings such for privacy as well.

- SpringFlash - activate LED flashlight from lock screen.

- Five Icon Dock - Five icons in dock.

- Five Icon Switcher - 5 icons in multitask bar

- Five-Column Spring Board - 5th colomn to spring board.

- WeatherIcon - changes the weather icon to display the actual weather and in the statusbar on the lock screen! They have one for the clock as well called LiveClock I think.

- MakeItMine - Get rid of ATT and put whatever text you want.

- LockInfo (trial and then $4.99) - Testing it out. Shows notifications for Phone, SMS, email on your lock screen and you can even stream RSS feeds. ot sure I want all that stuff on my lock screen (then what's the point of the lock screen), but I like the RSS feeds though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone said the winterboard themes weren't all there...is this true?
I've had trouble getting some themes to work but since this is my 1st experience with jailbreaking I don't know how it compares to previous jailbreaks. Considering 4.1 was just cracked last weekend I'm sure most will get updated to work.Anyone try bosspaper? People said it's better than Winterboard regarding wallpapers.

blackdot for future reference. Have never jailbroken my phone because I haven't seen a killer app yet. If one appears here I may give it a try.

blackdot for future reference. Have never jailbroken my phone because I haven't seen a killer app yet. If one appears here I may give it a try.
What type of killerapp are you looking for?There's app so you can tether your iPhone to your laptop, to unlock the 3G restrictions (Facetime over 3g), and to use you iPhone on T-Mobile network, but other than that I don't think jailbreaking will unleash some type of killerapp. Most of jailbreaking is to make the use of the phone more intuitive. If the process more complicated and involved more risk, I would be satisfied with the stock iPhone experience.

What type of killerapp are you looking for?There's app so you can tether your iPhone to your laptop, to unlock the 3G restrictions (Facetime over 3g), and to use you iPhone on T-Mobile network, but other than that I don't think jailbreaking will unleash some type of killerapp. Most of jailbreaking is to make the use of the phone more intuitive. If the process more complicated and involved more risk, I would be satisfied with the stock iPhone experience.
Tethering is huge, I'm just afraid of getting caught, there can be some big usage penalties.

Just discovered Action Menu and Action Menu Voice. Adds functionality as well as will speak selections from web (FBG threads), e-mail, etc... Very cool and free!

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove Background and Remove Background SBSettings Toggle are up and live for 4.1.

This allows you to remove all apps from the task switcher with a press of a button! Quickly free up memory!

I am using iOverclock. It makes your apps run at the normal speed and not the underclocked speed they come as. It is controlled through Winterboard and does drain your battery a little faster but worth it IMO.

I am using iOverclock. It makes your apps run at the normal speed and not the underclocked speed they come as. It is controlled through Winterboard and does drain your battery a little faster but worth it IMO.
About how much drain are we talking about?

I have an Iphone 3gs that is jailbroken on the 3.1.3. How do I get up to date on the latest versions of Jailbreak? Do I reset my iphone and just start over? I guessed I missed a couple of updates.

The reason I first jailbroke my Iphone was to have folders so that I didn't have to scroll forever looking for an app.

About how much drain are we talking about?
Hard to say exactly. It's not 4:1 or anything like that plus you can turn the function on and off. Maybe like 1.5:1.

Does anyone have a great twitter widget?

I know LockInfo has a twitter plugin for the lock screen, but I was wondering if there is anything else out there?

How do you get the weather location to change on lockinfo? I've tried every single location code i can come up with and nothing swaps it from cupertino.

Anyone move to 4.2.1 OS and then jailbreak? This looks like for Mac users only until the Windows version is done.

Had my iPad jailbroken but haven't bothered with my iPhone 4. Maybe it's time. I have the recent OS upgrade already -- is there a jailbreak for this yet and if so which is best?

I'll post it here again....Aptbackup is :unsure:
What is it and why?
You install it. Press the backup button. Sync and backup in iTunes. Install new OS. Jailbreak. Install AptBackup. Press restore button. It will go out and get everything the OS update wiped out (jailbreak apps and settings) and restore all custom settings. No mess and no fuss. That is why I love it.

Greenpois0n 4.2.1 out for Windows now. Jailbreak ran fine and greenpois0n installs an animated boot logo function which is kind of cool. Enjoy!

Greenpois0n 4.2.1 out for Windows now. Jailbreak ran fine and greenpois0n installs an animated boot logo function which is kind of cool. Enjoy!
Yeah, this seems to be good and stable I think I'm going to convert to it asap.

I'm very interested to hear how this works, as the last time I tried jailbreaking I had some issues.I'm sure they've been listed, but can anyone do a pros/cons of jailbreaking?

I'm very interested to hear how this works, as the last time I tried jailbreaking I had some issues.I'm sure they've been listed, but can anyone do a pros/cons of jailbreaking?
Well I lost facetime on the version I did it with, but many issues you might see are totally isolated to which one you go with.

I could not get RC6 to boot my phone at all in 4.2.1 It is possible that I'm a maroon.

Also what is the latest os that you can unlock on a 3GS?

Successfully got a 3GS on 4.2.1 FW and 5.15 BB unlocked for Tmobile. It took a lot of work and a ton of button pushing on the phone, but it does work and is seemingly stable.

trying this for the first time tonight or tomorrow morning. hoping to be able to tether my iPhone 3G w/ my iPad2 in case I end up at some place w/o WiFi for the tourney games. wish me luck...

Hmm... I downloaded greenpoisOn R6 and have run through the steps it tells me to do, but then nothing happens - my phone basically just gets locked up. any guesses as to what i'm doing wrong?

Hmm... I downloaded greenpoisOn R6 and have run through the steps it tells me to do, but then nothing happens - my phone basically just gets locked up. any guesses as to what i'm doing wrong?
Some tips:-The sequence of events is very critical and it seems off a bit. You need to mainly focus on finding a way to get your phone in the boot mode. If the timing sequence doesn't work try to watch some of the other videos out there describing it.-If you are in DMU mode you MUST have an internet connection and one without a proxy. This is troubling on a few levels, but so it goes.-If GPR6 continues to crap out on you there are other 421 untethered options now I think (maybe someone can confirm)-As always using these tools on macs if at all possible is much easier.

Anyone know if a jailbroken 3GS can be used with Verizon?

I have ATT, and am buying the 4 pretty soon, but was going to give the 3GS to my lady who has Verizon.

Been using the GreenPois0n jailbreak for several weeks and it is great. Best part it untethered my iphone. Plenty of youtube videos on how to use this simple app.

Anyone know if a jailbroken 3GS can be used with Verizon?I have ATT, and am buying the 4 pretty soon, but was going to give the 3GS to my lady who has Verizon.
Your lady cannot use an ATT 3GS iphone on Verizon. They are two different networks. ATT uses the GSM network which uses sim cards for it's phones. Verizon uses the CDMA network which does not use use sim cards. That is the easiest explanation.

Anyone know if a jailbroken 3GS can be used with Verizon?I have ATT, and am buying the 4 pretty soon, but was going to give the 3GS to my lady who has Verizon.
Your lady cannot use an ATT 3GS iphone on Verizon. They are two different networks. ATT uses the GSM network which uses sim cards for it's phones. Verizon uses the CDMA network which does not use use sim cards. That is the easiest explanation.
ThanksAnyone want to buy a iphone 3GS then?

ThanksAnyone want to buy a iphone 3GS then?
How much you want for it? Thinking about moving Mrs. Osaurus up. PM me if interested.

Been using the GreenPois0n jailbreak for several weeks and it is great. Best part it untethered my iphone. Plenty of youtube videos on how to use this simple app.
This all good for iPhone4? I wonder if I should be jailbreaking here.

Ok so bear with me here, have had an iPhone for almost two years and have some questions about jailbreaking. I read above that it was legal and reversible. But I've been told that your Apple warranty is immediately voided when you jailbreak. Is this true? And if you reverse the jailbreak does Apple know? I've seen a jailbroken iPhone, and it looked like holy hell. It was probably due to what my buddy did to his wallpaper and display options, but it looked like crap. What is the main reason to jailbreak? Is it truly worth it or just a "fun" thing to do because you get to change certain options. Any info is appreciated.

I read above that it was legal and reversible.
Yes
But I've been told that your Apple warranty is immediately voided when you jailbreak. Is this true?
If they knew it was jaibroken, I think that is true.
And if you reverse the jailbreak does Apple know?
From what I have read there is no way for Apple to know what has been done to he phone as long as it restored to factory settings. Jailbreaking does not fundamentally change your phone. Once it is restored, it is restored.
What is the main reason to jailbreak?
I would think the main reason is to be bale to do stuff with the phone that Apple approved apps don't. I jailbroke my phone and I only use a few apps that I find useful. But I really, really like them. Something as simple as SBS Settings (allows for a quick swipe to get to certain settings) is an amazing lacking feature in the factory iphone. My phone can act as a wi-fi hotspot now and/or be tethered. Another simple thing that I wanted.
Is it truly worth it or just a "fun" thing to do because you get to change certain options.
For many people it may not be worth it. For me, it is a little bit worth it, which is enough for me to do it. And it is a fun thing to do.

Some of my favorite jb apps...

Lockinfo: view items (weather, calendar, etc) while in lockscreen

Sbsettins: settings shortcut

Bitesms: text messenger with more options like replying from lockscreen

Multiflow: the proper way to multi task IMO

Overboard: view all ur pages in one screen using a shortcut

5 icon dock: fit 5 icons in the dock

Weather icon: changes weather icon to actual current weather.

I dont like winterboard or changing the "look" too much. I agree that some look too cluttered or just a mess. I just like adding more functions to the phone.

I read above that it was legal and reversible.
Yes
But I've been told that your Apple warranty is immediately voided when you jailbreak. Is this true?
If they knew it was jaibroken, I think that is true.
And if you reverse the jailbreak does Apple know?
From what I have read there is no way for Apple to know what has been done to he phone as long as it restored to factory settings. Jailbreaking does not fundamentally change your phone. Once it is restored, it is restored.
What is the main reason to jailbreak?
I would think the main reason is to be bale to do stuff with the phone that Apple approved apps don't. I jailbroke my phone and I only use a few apps that I find useful. But I really, really like them. Something as simple as SBS Settings (allows for a quick swipe to get to certain settings) is an amazing lacking feature in the factory iphone. My phone can act as a wi-fi hotspot now and/or be tethered. Another simple thing that I wanted.
Is it truly worth it or just a "fun" thing to do because you get to change certain options.
For many people it may not be worth it. For me, it is a little bit worth it, which is enough for me to do it. And it is a fun thing to do.
:hifive: Awesome reply moops, thanks for breaking it down by question.One/two more for ya... Once jailbroken, do you lose functionality with iTunes and can it still be synched/backed up on my laptop?

Users who are viewing this thread