What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Troy Smith starting for 49ers this week. (1 Viewer)

There goes my steady workhorse, Vernon Davis.

:headbang:

Say what you will about Alex Smith as a QB, he did keep Vernon owners happy.

I have always liked Troy as a qb and think he could spark the offense if given a legitimate shot.
I agree.I enjoy his drive and determination. He's gotta be a fun guy to play with doesn't he? Someday someone can please tell me why he's so different from Vince Young without using the phrase "when in college"-IE one is a franchise QB and one is hoping to have a decent career preferably not as a backup. I gotta say though why not give Carr a shot?"Everyone" seemed to think if he worked through being shell-shocked and somehow got his head together (which he has) to be able to stand in the pocket comfortably again, that he just may be an NFL QB again someday.

Any chance this actually helps crabtree's value? Can't imagine anyone checks down as often as Alex smith.
I doubt it. He's more likely to get 200 than 300 yards passing IMO.It's been a long time since he started a game and many rooks seem that way so that might be unfair of me.

Look no further than the recent play of Colt McCoy. Troy Smith could succeed. Whether he will or not :lmao:
I don't see the similarity here.One guy is into his fourth year after struggling as a rook and not being able to earn starting time and the franchise drafted what they believed was a much better QB-a franchise QB.Every so many years in the NFL a QB has an enormous impact on a team and it's just so obvious. We're privileged this year to have two rooks doing that. The Rams and Browns are both not necessarily good teams but a team that opponents have to be concerned with for a change. In that loss to the Steelers, he did something I don't think the Browns have done for a long while-he earned the Steelers respect. Now you tell me how the Browns even has the mindset necessary to beat the defending Superbowl champs? I'm not pretending his nine completions made him look like Joe Montana, but (like the Rams) this team suddenly seems different. A "can do" attitude instead of a "how will we lose" attitude. Alright wait a sec, I think I see your point-sorry to be so long-winded. You think he can fire up the 49ers? OK nevermind and I think Singletary would "consider sacrificing his first born" to get such a QB.

Look no further than the recent play of Colt McCoy. Troy Smith could succeed. Whether he will or not :lmao:
I don't see the similarity here.One guy is into his fourth year after struggling as a rook and not being able to earn starting time and the franchise drafted what they believed was a much better QB-a franchise QB.Every so many years in the NFL a QB has an enormous impact on a team and it's just so obvious. We're privileged this year to have two rooks doing that. The Rams and Browns are both not necessarily good teams but a team that opponents have to be concerned with for a change. In that loss to the Steelers, he did something I don't think the Browns have done for a long while-he earned the Steelers respect. Now you tell me how the Browns even has the mindset necessary to beat the defending Superbowl champs? I'm not pretending his nine completions made him look like Joe Montana, but (like the Rams) this team suddenly seems different. A "can do" attitude instead of a "how will we lose" attitude. Alright wait a sec, I think I see your point-sorry to be so long-winded. You think he can fire up the 49ers? OK nevermind and I think Singletary would "consider sacrificing his first born" to get such a QB.
Neither are your typical NFL QB. Many said Colt simply couldn't succeed in the NFL with his skillset. Troy Smith is another QB that doesn't have a typical drop back skillset. But he sure won a lot of games in college and he might just be the right fit. We are seeing guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Shaun Hill resurrect offenses, why not Smith?

Well, if Troy is going to resurrect (it was never alive in the first place) the 49ers' offense, then I doubt it's going to happen this week:

The 49ers are now beginning their first practice of the week. This is first time Troy Smith has practiced 49ers plays since joining team.
Gut instinct is to downgrade Crabtree but VD & Gore should have around same value. New QB's often throw dumpoffs to tight ends and running backs, etc...

Well, if Troy is going to resurrect (it was never alive in the first place) the 49ers' offense, then I doubt it's going to happen this week:

The 49ers are now beginning their first practice of the week. This is first time Troy Smith has practiced 49ers plays since joining team.
Gut instinct is to downgrade Crabtree but VD & Gore should have around same value. New QB's often throw dumpoffs to tight ends and running backs, etc...
Assuming the quoted text it correct. Doesn't that seem awfully naive, almost dopey of Singletary then? I mean yeah I get that players run the scout team and he came from Balt but...

I have always liked Troy as a qb and think he could spark the offense if given a legitimate shot.
I agree.I enjoy his drive and determination. He's gotta be a fun guy to play with doesn't he? Someday someone can please tell me why he's so different from Vince Young without using the phrase "when in college"-IE one is a franchise QB and one is hoping to have a decent career preferably not as a backup. I gotta say though why not give Carr a shot?"Everyone" seemed to think if he worked through being shell-shocked and somehow got his head together (which he has) to be able to stand in the pocket comfortably again, that he just may be an NFL QB again someday.
He's a baller. Much better than the Hamburgler. He was one illness away from starting over Flacco for BAL, and I think this is the best news for those of us with VD and Crabs. :thumbup:

I think VD gets the biggest bump, Gore takes a hit and Crabtree takes the biggest hit.
I'm not certain about this. Last year when VY came in for Collins after everyone thought he was washed up his mobility and all-around play contributed to CJ blowing up the rest of the year.While T.Smith is not VY, he has similar skillset and, more importantly, similar leadership and winning pedigree that could be just what 49ers need.

Heard on Sirius radio this morning that yesterday was the first time Troy Smith had EVER practiced with the 49ers team. He was picked up late & has been running the scout team. He literally never ran a player from the 49er playbook in practice until 10/26/10.

I wouldn't expect success right away.

Heard on Sirius radio this morning that yesterday was the first time Troy Smith had EVER practiced with the 49ers team. He was picked up late & has been running the scout team. He literally never ran a player from the 49er playbook in practice until 10/26/10.I wouldn't expect success right away.
Maybe the OC decided to scrap the 49ers offensive playbook and go with what he's seen from their opponents.

Heard on Sirius radio this morning that yesterday was the first time Troy Smith had EVER practiced with the 49ers team. He was picked up late & has been running the scout team. He literally never ran a player from the 49er playbook in practice until 10/26/10.I wouldn't expect success right away.
While this is true, isn't the new O-coordinator his former Quarterback coach? I would think Smith would be familiar with the offensive plays that will be used.

What's the more likely scenario here, people -

1. Troy Smith, a career 3rd stringer, comes in after practicing 1 week with his teammates and lights up Denver, St. Louis, and TB to save Singletary's job.

2. Troy Smith, a career 3rd stringer, comes in after practicing 1 week with his teammates and looks like a deer in headlights, makes the 49ers offense look even worse than when it was run by Alex, and ends his first game with 3 ints but 50+ yards rushing.

As a Vernon Davis owner, after seeing Carr last week, I welcome any change and hope Alex Smith gets back soon. Good time for a bye week after this game.

Troy Smith is a good quarterback who deserves his chance to be a starting QB in this league. Sure, he's not prototypical but his intangibles are what makes him an intriguing prospect.

Alex Smith doesn't inspire confidence, blames his teammates after losses, and has failed time and time again as the starter.

Troy Smith has the ability to rally his teammates with his inspired play. He's not a polished passer but fights to keep plays alive, keeps his eyes downfield, and has scrambling ability.

Bump up Vernon Davis, especially in this game. The Broncos LBs struggle in coverage and San Fran should find ways to isolate VD on someone like Jason Hunter/Mario Haggan. The Jags did it with Marcedes Lewis, the Jets did it with Dustin Keller, the Raiders did it with Zach Miller last week. Only in the Colts game was a TE bracketed by the Broncos defense. Everywhere Dallas Clark went the Broncos had 2 guys on him with S Renaldo Hill always over the top...usually is was rookie CB Perrish Cox underneath Clark.

Add in the fact that young/inexperienced quarterbacks tend to lean on 'relief valve' receivers (TEs and RBs out of the backfield) and it equals a good game for Davis.

What's the most important attribute for a QB? Confidence. Troy Smith carries himself well, has something to prove after never getting a shot with BMore (remember, he was in line to start until getting sick in the preseason of Flacco's rookie year).

Finally, Troy Smith's confidence can rub off to the rest of the team. They will see him busting his balls to make a play, and they will want to fight for him.

:confetti:

If he fails, let's see Nate Davis next. Big kudos to Singletary for this. First time he's made a smart move in a long time.

For his part, Smith, who has been with the Niners for 51 days and had not taken any first-team snaps in practice prior to today, dismissed the notion that he'll be cramming to get up to speed before kickoff.

"I wouldn't say that it's a crash course," he said. "Throughout my career, this is what I've done, learned new offenses. They do a tremendous job here of getting guys in position to make plays, now I just have to go out and execute the offense ... We're going to throw the ball, I know that."
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/1...troy-smith.html

Bump the Broncos D.

Reporting that Alex Smith will be out 2-3 weeks; Niners are on bye next week, so this might be the only chance T.Smith gets.

:confetti: If he fails, let's see Nate Davis next. Big kudos to Singletary for this. First time he's made a smart move in a long time.
I was just gonna say "One step closer to Nate Davis!" Tell me again why the hell they brought in Carr again? We should be cutting him and scouring for an alternative if they don't even have enough confidence to give him a try at starting after a week of reps. Must not have looked good in practice. He was def signed to make Alex look good.

Last edited by a moderator:
:confetti: If he fails, let's see Nate Davis next. Big kudos to Singletary for this. First time he's made a smart move in a long time.
I was just gonna say "One step closer to Nate Davis!" Tell me again why the hell they brought in Carr again? We should be cutting him and scouring for an alternative if they don't even have enough confidence to give him a try at starting after a week of reps. Must not have looked good in practice. He was def signed to make Alex look good.
Put me in the camp that wonders how Carr has an NFL job at this point, but I would guess the thinking is Carr would handle being an in game emergency replacement (like last week) better than the inexperienced guys. Singletary is saying that with a week's worth of preparation Smith gives them a better chance to win than Carr.

With Smith's ability to scramble, I would bump Gore for the same reasons CJ and McCoy seem to have an easier time running with VY and Vick running the show respectively...

Heh Cec. I gotta give you props cuz you've been calling for this for many weeks now.Look forward to seeing what he can do. :shrug:

Troy Smith is a good quarterback who deserves his chance to be a starting QB in this league. Sure, he's not prototypical but his intangibles are what makes him an intriguing prospect.Alex Smith doesn't inspire confidence, blames his teammates after losses, and has failed time and time again as the starter.Troy Smith has the ability to rally his teammates with his inspired play. He's not a polished passer but fights to keep plays alive, keeps his eyes downfield, and has scrambling ability. Bump up Vernon Davis, especially in this game. The Broncos LBs struggle in coverage and San Fran should find ways to isolate VD on someone like Jason Hunter/Mario Haggan. The Jags did it with Marcedes Lewis, the Jets did it with Dustin Keller, the Raiders did it with Zach Miller last week. Only in the Colts game was a TE bracketed by the Broncos defense. Everywhere Dallas Clark went the Broncos had 2 guys on him with S Renaldo Hill always over the top...usually is was rookie CB Perrish Cox underneath Clark. Add in the fact that young/inexperienced quarterbacks tend to lean on 'relief valve' receivers (TEs and RBs out of the backfield) and it equals a good game for Davis. What's the most important attribute for a QB? Confidence. Troy Smith carries himself well, has something to prove after never getting a shot with BMore (remember, he was in line to start until getting sick in the preseason of Flacco's rookie year).Finally, Troy Smith's confidence can rub off to the rest of the team. They will see him busting his balls to make a play, and they will want to fight for him.

I think everyone has a chance to bump up. Just think what Gore could do if he could be protecting a lead running it down their throats in a 4th Q...

Look no further than the recent play of Colt McCoy. Troy Smith could succeed. Whether he will or not :goodposting:
Neither are your typical NFL QB. Many said Colt simply couldn't succeed in the NFL with his skillset. Troy Smith is another QB that doesn't have a typical drop back skillset. But he sure won a lot of games in college and he might just be the right fit. We are seeing guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Shaun Hill resurrect offenses, why not Smith?
troy was absolutely a pocket passer his senior year of college fwiw.

I agree.I enjoy his drive and determination. He's gotta be a fun guy to play with doesn't he?

Someday someone can please tell me why he's so different from Vince Young without using the phrase "when in college"-IE one is a franchise QB and one is hoping to have a decent career preferably not as a backup.

I gotta say though why not give Carr a shot?

"Everyone" seemed to think if he worked through being shell-shocked and somehow got his head together (which he has) to be able to stand in the pocket comfortably again, that he just may be an NFL QB again someday.
height

I agree.I enjoy his drive and determination. He's gotta be a fun guy to play with doesn't he?

Someday someone can please tell me why he's so different from Vince Young without using the phrase "when in college"-IE one is a franchise QB and one is hoping to have a decent career preferably not as a backup.

I gotta say though why not give Carr a shot?"Everyone" seemed to think if he worked through being shell-shocked and somehow got his head together (which he has) to be able to stand in the pocket comfortably again, that he just may be an NFL QB again someday.
:goodposting: Thanks for my "laugh-of -the-day". Sorry, but apparently you've never seen David Carr play. When the Panthers knocked Alex Smith out of the game and Carr came in to replace him, I immediately told everyone in the room that we (the Panthers) were about to win our first game. The pass that Carr made to (Panthers CB) Richard Marshall was the only time Carr ever threw a pass that hit a Panthers player in the numbers.

Any chance this actually helps crabtree's value? Can't imagine anyone checks down as often as Alex smith.
I think Crabtree's value holds in respect to Alex versus Troy. Alex LOVED to throw that down the seem pass to VD. He ignored Crabtree until he was forced to throw to him.I think Troy, who has always been hungry and has untapped talent, will look to get his best WR involved as will the OC. No way they take their best weapon out of the playbook here.Carr would have been a disater to the entire offenses value.

The really smart move would have been to keep Shaun Hill. Beyond that the smart move would have been to tell all SF QBs that they are all third string at the beginning of the offseason and they have to play their way to 1st string.

The really smart move would have been to keep Shaun Hill. Beyond that the smart move would have been to tell all SF QBs that they are all third string at the beginning of the offseason and they have to play their way to 1st string.
...or trading for McNabb :mellow:

No idea what to expect.

Obviously he was special in college. Which has to be the only reason why he has so much support in this thread.

But he has looked very average-to-below-average in his NFL starts so far. On the other hand, all of his NFL in-season starts were as a rookie and he seems like a prototypical "Singletary guy" - hard worker and team leader type. On the other hand, it's not necessarily a good thing to be a "Singletary guy."

Should be an entertaining game on Sunday.

Bump the Broncos D.Reporting that Alex Smith will be out 2-3 weeks; Niners are on bye next week, so this might be the only chance T.Smith gets.
After giving up 59 points to the Raiders, the only place you should be bumping the Broncos defense is off a cliff.

Users who are viewing this thread