Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weapon of Mass Instruction

Leaves from neighbor's trees COMPLETELY COVERING my yard

95 posts in this topic

Neighbor has several large and beautiful trees. His yard is separated from mine by a privacy fence. Approximately 7.8 billion of his leaves are in my yard with more on the way.

I don't feel that raking these up should be my responsibility but I also don't want to be a bad neighbor. I overseeded and now they are covering the grass. If I rake them, more will cover it up again in just a few days.

What have you have done if you've been in this situation?

Neighbor had several large and beautiful trees. His yard is separated from mine by a privacy fence. Approximately 7.8 billion of his leaves are in my yard with more on the way.I don't feel that raking these up should be my responsibility but I also don't want to be a bad neighbor. I overseeded and now they are covering the grass. If I rake them, more will cover it up again in just a few days.What have you have done if you've been in this situation?

That's life man. What, is he supposed to go to everyone's yard and sweep up their leaves for them?

Burn down his house.

Buy a blower.

With a little effort you can get those things back airborne and into his yard where they belong.

It's their home. They miss their home.

Were the trees present at the time you purchased your home. if the trees were pre-existing, then you should have reasonably expected to be living next to trees and been prepared to live with the consequences.

Neighbor had several large and beautiful trees. His yard is separated from mine by a privacy fence. Approximately 7.8 billion of his leaves are in my yard with more on the way.I don't feel that raking these up should be my responsibility but I also don't want to be a bad neighbor. I overseeded and now they are covering the grass. If I rake them, more will cover it up again in just a few days.What have you have done if you've been in this situation?

I've never been in that situation. It's my trees that that are dropping in the neighbors yard and I think it's great, I don't have to rake them. WOOHOO!

I've never been in that situation. It's my trees that that are dropping in the neighbors yard and I think it's great, I don't have to rake them. WOOHOO!
:goodposting: Sometime I feel like taking down some of my fence just so most of the leaves can blow into my neighbors yard, then I put my fence back up.

you should have reasonably expected to be living next to trees and been prepared to live with the consequences.

:goodposting:

If my neighbor asked me to come over and rake leaves from my tree in the fall I would tell him I was going to start charging him for the shade I provide in the summer.

You should be thankful for the free shade in the summer and the free compost material in the fall.

Just wait until a limb falls off the tree, smashes your fence and you have to pay for it.

Call the police and tell them your neighbor's leaves are trespassing.

Do what Sp00fy did... hire someone to come cut down your neighbors trees.

You probably don't have grounds for some kind of lawsuit because you can't prove that they are his leaves. If you went over to his house late at night and marked the leaves that are currently on his trees, you'd have proof when they landed on your lawn later.

We're taking about what... 20 minutes of yard work here? Get out there and rake em up.

Just wait until a limb falls off the tree, smashes your fence and you have to pay for it.
I don't think the neighbor is going to charge him for the broken limb.

We have a cherry tree where several branches were over a fence and cherries would fall into our neighbor's yard. He told my wife it was our responsibility to take care of it. We didn't have a problem with it and cut off that side of the tree.

That said, you need to rake your own lawn.

I am not sure what the answer is her... but I am positive it involves fire.

I don't think the neighbor is going to charge him for the broken limb.
trees are expensive dude

We have a cherry tree where several branches were over a fence and cherries would fall into our neighbor's yard. He told my wife it was our responsibility to take care of it. We didn't have a problem with it and cut off that side of the tree.That said, you need to rake your own lawn.

I would put up with the cherries on my lawn just because cherry trees look awesome.

This should please you too. If a storm blows one of his tree on your house, your insurance will have to cover it.

Call the police and tell them your neighbor's leaves are trespassing.

I'd go out on a limb and mention that they look a little shady.

We have a cherry tree where several branches were over a fence and cherries would fall into our neighbor's yard. He told my wife it was our responsibility to take care of it. We didn't have a problem with it and cut off that side of the tree.

George Washington approves.

And what about your leaves????? What, they don't blow on the neighbor's lawn on the other side of your house? C'mon man....

If you want to be passive aggressive about it, rake them, bag them, then set the bags on the other side of the fence.

If you hang a giant net between the goalposts, the leaves will just blow right in and save you lots of work.

put a post-it-note on every leaf stating "yours" and put them on his porch

i like this

That's life man. What, is he supposed to go to everyone's yard and sweep up their leaves for them?
You'd feel the same if a limb broke off your neighbor's tree and smashed your fence?

You'd feel the same if a limb broke off your neighbor's tree and smashed your fence?
Yes, cause that's exactly the same.

Is there any way you could jump up and swat them back into his yard before they fall into yours in the first place? Or perhaps you could grab a sharpie and write his name on all the leaves that are his and all the leaves that are yours. Then invite him over for a beer/rake party. If you could approach him while wearing swiss cheese attached by rubber bands on your feet that would be ideal.

Another way to go about it is to run around in circles shrieking the word "Bucolic! Peter Cetera eats chutney!" until said neighbor comes out wondering what the fuss is all about. Then immediately smash an apple into your forehead then fall to the ground rubbing your ### on the ground as if you were a dog who had worms. He'll get the hint.

I think most normal neighbors would be willing to work out something for this scenario. I think most normal neighbors will think you're insane if you complain about their leaves blowing into your yard.

Yes, cause that's exactly the same.
but it is your responsibility to fix your fence.