What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Texas Rangers 2011 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Bogart

Footballguy
Offseason is up and running full blast for the 2010 AL Champs.

Just a few quick shots from the last few days:

- Chuck, Nolan and JD have been in Arkansas wooing Cliff Lee. I think they will have a competitive bid, but will stay smart, which means they lose out when the Yankees throw stupid money at Lee.

- Talks of a trade with KC for Zack Greinke have picked up. The packages that have been thrown around are too expensive in my opinion, but if you can get him for package that does not include Holland and Profar, you have to look at it. Perez, Beltre and Gentry? KC probably says no.

- Washington came out this week and stated that they are going to stretch out Neftali Feliz during Spring Training to make him a starter. Does signing Lee, trading for Greinke or both effect this?

If Lee does not sign, I would love to see the attention shifted to Adrian Beltre. Move Young to your DH/backup 3B and I think your offense and defense are set with a possible need at catcher depending on Molina/Tranor.

You roll a starting five of CJ/Lewis/Hunter/Holland/ST decision and you are good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nolan has come out and said that he doesn't think that the Rangers will land Cliff Lee, saying that the Yankees will have the highest bid because that is what they do.

He also stated one time that he and Chuck were not going to win the auction for the Rangers as well.

Congrats to Josh for winning the AL MVP. Well deserved.

Now if we can just get 150-155 games out of him next season.

Nice defensive signing with Yorvit Torrealba. Not much offense but better than what we had last year.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/...inori-tateyama/

Japanese reliever Yoshinori Tateyama has signed a one-year contract with the Rangers that also includes team options for 2012 and 2013.

Unlike higher-profiles Japanese players such as Hisashi Iwakuma and Tsuyoshi Nishioka there was no “posting fee” required to negotiate with Tateyama, as he’s a 35-year-old veteran who was simply a free agent following 12 seasons in Japan.

A side-arming right-hander with a high-80s fastball, Tateyama had a 1.80 ERA, .212 opponents’ batting average, and 59 strikeouts in 55 innings this season and has a career ERA of 3.43, including a sub-4.00 mark in eight of the past nine years.

The Mike Young to Colorado rumors are pretty much rumors, but interesting still. Do you trade Face right after the WS? Does this mean you go hard at Beltre?

FYI, for any Ranger fans (or just baseball fans in general), if you do not subscribe to Jamey Newberg's Newberg Report e-mail listing you are doing yourself a disservice. The COFFEY reports are gold.

I know the whole thing was smoke, but I'd jump all over any opportunity to offload Michael Young for anything meaningful at all. He'll be a replacement level player at best by the time 2012 rolls around.

http://spoThe Texas Rangers announced Monday that they have re-signed free agent catcher Matt Treanor to a one-year contract worth $850,000 for 2011.

"We appreciated the qualities that Matt brought to our club in 2010, both on the field and the presence he had in our clubhouse," general manager Jon Daniels said in a release. "He stepped into a challenging situation and helped lead the club. We're happy to have him back to solidify our catching situation."

More on the Rangers

Richard Durrett and the rest of the ESPNDallas.com team have the inside scoop on the Rangers, the American League and Major League Baseball. Blog

Treanor, 34, was acquired late in spring training to give the Rangers depth at catcher heading into the 2010 season. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, however, was put on the disabled list shortly after Opening Day, and Treanor got the call and quickly became a key member of the club during its march to the World Series.

Treanor led all Rangers catchers with 67 starts in 2010, and he hit .211 with five homers and 27 RBIs in 82 games. He was 2-for-10 with a homer and two RBIs in four postseason starts.

He was behind the plate for C.J. Wilson's starts, as the two developed a solid chemistry.

Rangers pitchers had a 3.92 ERA with Treanor behind the plate, the fourth-lowest ERA in the American League (minimum 80 games played). He caught 11-of-55 (20 percent) attempted base stealers and had the third-best fielding percentage (.994) among AL catchers with at least 500 chances.

To make room on the 40-man roster, the Rangers outrighted right-handed pitcher Ryan Tucker to Triple-A Round Rock after he cleared waivers.

rts.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=5915589&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

Texas Rangers announced Monday that they have re-signed free agent catcher Matt Treanor to a one-year contract worth $850,000 for 2011.
I like this signing. Regardless on what happens with Lee, Wilson's starts are going to be huge and his comfort level with Matty May makes a difference.

I am a bit torn on the Cliff Lee auction - would love to see him pitch as a Ranger for several years (NOT six or seven because I think he will be toast by then) but otoh I don't want the club to have an ARodlike albatross preventing them from making other moves.

Clearly whichever team does not get Lee immediately steps up their negotaitions for Greinke - at least you have him for two years at $12-13 million and then if the club has more success he will want to stay and you can figure out the amount/years. And I disagree with the post that a base of Engel Beltre and Martin Perez would not get him....I am pretty sure it would but I doubt the club will trade Perez, so what else will Texas have to add? If you are not trading Perez you might have to include either Holland or Ogandi......maybe with a good fourth player you could pull it off with Ogandi and Hunter and Beltre.

IMO Michael Young has done more than the club could have hoped for - changed positions twice at the club's behest and still put up solid offensive numbers. You don't kick the guy out now while he is still producing (although certainly if someone really did want to trade for him it would be an option).

As far as the rotation goes, don't count out the return of Eric Hurley - he pitched GREAT in the AFL in Oct/Nov

so now what
Sign Beltre, make Young the DH/utility guy.Trade for Garza. I think he would come cheaper prospect wise than Greinke and I think would be more successful.Take care of your own and stay the course.CJ is your Opening Day starter.

Disco Stu said:
Move Feliz or Ogando to rotation?
The current plan is to stretch both of them out in spring training and then make a decision about who looks like the best starter or whether both belong in the bullpen.......obv depends on who they might trade for (Greinke or Garza) and how FrankFrank looks

Disco Stu said:
Move Feliz or Ogando to rotation?
The current plan is to stretch both of them out in spring training and then make a decision about who looks like the best starter or whether both belong in the bullpen.......obv depends on who they might trade for (Greinke or Garza) and how FrankFrank looks
:shrug: Although CJ Wilson was asked today (via Twitter by a fellow FBG) about Feliz moving to the starting rotation. CJ asked if you would trade an All-Star closer for an unproven starter. Makes a good point, even though that is kind of where CJ was this time last year.

Yeah, I understand CJ's point...BUT Feliz WAS a starter before being moved to the pen, so IF he could easily go back to starting AND be effective it may be best for the club.......these might be the choices

Feliz in rotation with Ogando setting up Francisco

Harrison or Hunter in that spot with Ogando/Francisco setting up Feliz

IF (capital I and capital F) it was clear you could go either way which would YOU choose?

Yeah, I understand CJ's point...BUT Feliz WAS a starter before being moved to the pen, so IF he could easily go back to starting AND be effective it may be best for the club.......these might be the choicesFeliz in rotation with Ogando setting up FranciscoHarrison or Hunter in that spot with Ogando/Francisco setting up FelizIF (capital I and capital F) it was clear you could go either way which would YOU choose?
Give me Feliz in the rotation with Francisco setting up Ogando.If they don't do anything else in the offseason pitching wise, I am going to be really curious as to what the starting five looks like come April.

Yeah, I understand CJ's point...BUT Feliz WAS a starter before being moved to the pen, so IF he could easily go back to starting AND be effective it may be best for the club.......these might be the choices

Feliz in rotation with Ogando setting up Francisco

Harrison or Hunter in that spot with Ogando/Francisco setting up Feliz

IF (capital I and capital F) it was clear you could go either way which would YOU choose?
I think the bolded is a little misleading.

He still doesn't have enough pitches to be a starter. Ogando is a better choice. I actually can see this thing taking on a bad contract and some deep prospects now. That seems more likely than any other big splash.

Yeah, I agree with the Ogando thinking right now. At least he has a slider. With Feliz you don't feel good about anything but the heater at this point.

They're probably both worth a shot in spring training though.

CJ, Colby, Hunter, Holland, Ogando... not terrible.

and there is still the possibility of replacing either Hunter or Ogando with Greinke - yes I have seen some articles that "according to sources the Rangers are not a good fit for a trade with the Royals..." And that is horsepuckey - the Rangers have plenty of pieces - both in the majors and in the minors that would satisfy KC's demands.

Disco Stu said:
Yeah, I agree with the Ogando thinking right now. At least he has a slider. With Feliz you don't feel good about anything but the heater at this point.

but not a rotation that one should expect to be a World Series contender.

Disco Stu said:

It is a rotation that can win the West. And I think after that you take your chances. Not a perfect situation, but it's what we have.You have to stay the course.

Disco Stu said:

It is a rotation that can win the West. And I think after that you take your chances. Not a perfect situation, but it's what we have.You have to stay the course.
And like Chuck Greenberg said yesterday, "let's not forget the trade deadline is still seven and a half months away."

And like Chuck Greenberg said yesterday, "let's not forget the trade deadline is still seven and a half months away."
I'm completely on board with this one. The price for any starting pitching goes down by the day by the time we make it to the regular season. I think Holland is a better pitcher than Hunter, though.Any commentary on Harden/BMac in Oakland?

bentley said:

I'm completely on board with this one. The price for any starting pitching goes down by the day by the time we make it to the regular season. I think Holland is a better pitcher than Hunter, though.Any commentary on Harden/BMac in Oakland?
Good luck with that. I think someone said it best when they said: "Oakland just signed Rich Harden and Brandon McCarthy. They are also looking into Justin Thompson and Jeff Zimmerman."

While I really do appreciate the patience that JD is showing and not overpaying for Lee or giving up too much for Greinke, shouldn't we get SOMETHING done??

Side note: I am reading from Newberg and Baseball Prospectus that a Rangers equivalent package for what Milwaukee gave for Greinke would have been Elvis Andrus, Tanner Scheppers, Julio Borbon and Martin Perez. Are you serious??

While I really do appreciate the patience that JD is showing and not overpaying for Lee or giving up too much for Greinke, shouldn't we get SOMETHING done??Side note: I am reading from Newberg and Baseball Prospectus that a Rangers equivalent package for what Milwaukee gave for Greinke would have been Elvis Andrus, Tanner Scheppers, Julio Borbon and Martin Perez. Are you serious??
NO way that the club would have given that much up OR had to give that much upand pretty sure that is someone's speculation not what the Brewers asked for (although they would shoot high, they wouldn't be asking for That much)

While I really do appreciate the patience that JD is showing and not overpaying for Lee or giving up too much for Greinke, shouldn't we get SOMETHING done??Side note: I am reading from Newberg and Baseball Prospectus that a Rangers equivalent package for what Milwaukee gave for Greinke would have been Elvis Andrus, Tanner Scheppers, Julio Borbon and Martin Perez. Are you serious??
NO way that the club would have given that much up OR had to give that much upand pretty sure that is someone's speculation not what the Brewers asked for (although they would shoot high, they wouldn't be asking for That much)
I think those are just the Rangers comparables for the players the Brewers gave up. Andrus>>>Escobar based on MLB achievement. Perez and Scheppers have been more highly touted as minor leaguers but both had disappointing 2010 seasons. Cain and Borbon might be pretty good comps, we'll see in a few years.

I think those are just the Rangers comparables for the players the Brewers gave up. Andrus>>>Escobar based on MLB achievement. Perez and Scheppers have been more highly touted as minor leaguers but both had disappointing 2010 seasons. Cain and Borbon might be pretty good comps, we'll see in a few years.
You may be right Eephus - it wasn't the way I read it but.....bottom line is that the Rangers didn't really match up well with what KC wanted to get - they certainly could offer enough talent but not at the positions that the Royals wanted which were C, 2B/SS, CF.Andrus and Kinsler were too much of the current core (with no one ready Yet to replace them in the lineup), and they don't have a catcher, so the best they could have done would have been to trade Borbon and Profar with a couple of pitchers. They probably didn't want to make the bet on Beltre vs Borbon and even IF they did the Royals weren't getting the major league ready infielder they wanted. Personally I think the Rangers were correct to NOT overpay for Greinke for just two years when they have so much currently on the roster AND in the minors - growing Most of the team from within is correct and they have done a great job so far and have resources which will sustain them for several more years (the flip side is they have to make a move if one really does present itself - if Cliff Lee had been available in trade versus free agency I have no doubt that Daniels would have emptied the vault to get him)

The Rangers are set up well for the 2-3 year timeframe but nobody has an indefinite window. Hamilton is a free-agent for 2013, with Cruz and Kinsler a year later.

I'm a bit surprised the Rangers have had such a quiet off-season. Maybe losing Lee was inevitable but they're going to enter 2011 looking weaker than October 2010. They still should be the AL West favorites though.

The Rangers are set up well for the 2-3 year timeframe but nobody has an indefinite window. Hamilton is a free-agent for 2013, with Cruz and Kinsler a year later. I'm a bit surprised the Rangers have had such a quiet off-season. Maybe losing Lee was inevitable but they're going to enter 2011 looking weaker than October 2010. They still should be the AL West favorites though.
I think they are thinking they are looking stronger in April 2011 than April 2010.

The Rangers are set up well for the 2-3 year timeframe but nobody has an indefinite window. Hamilton is a free-agent for 2013, with Cruz and Kinsler a year later. I'm a bit surprised the Rangers have had such a quiet off-season. Maybe losing Lee was inevitable but they're going to enter 2011 looking weaker than October 2010. They still should be the AL West favorites though.
I think they are thinking they are looking stronger in April 2011 than April 2010.
Scott Feldman and Rich Harden were anchors

Scott Feldman and Rich Harden were anchors
Yeah, maybe anchors to drag the rotation down....the Harden contract/signing was terribly misquided - sure he is great when he can throw, but at best that is for a small part of the season. Sorry to say because I like Scott and know his dad that 2009 was an anomaly - he struggled terribly last year and I would hope for but not bet on a return to his previous form/results.Still I think they are in good shape - thought guessing which pitchers and which roles may go a long way in deciding how far they get in 2011 but the good news is they have a ton of quality arms on the forty man roster and in the system

I still want Beltre here.

Can you convince Young to be the starting DH and be the first backup in the infield? I bet he would play the field more than he didn't.

A YT/Beltre/Andrus/Kinsler/Moreland infield is more than acceptable both defensively and with the sticks. Cruz/Borbon/Hamilton with Murphy as your 4th works for me.

Are there any reports of a non-AL West team going after Beltre? I've heard Oakland/Anaheim/Texas are all interested. Haven't heard about other teams.

Are there any reports of a non-AL West team going after Beltre? I've heard Oakland/Anaheim/Texas are all interested. Haven't heard about other teams.
I have only heard those three teams as well. I would think that Anaheim is the favorite (biggest need, big spenders, he wants to play on the West Coast), then Texas (need, deep pockets, ownership wants to make splash, block a rival), then Oakland (needs to be in the discussion just to show they are active, but no real chance they are going to spend the money).

I have only heard those three teams as well. I would think that Anaheim is the favorite (biggest need, big spenders, he wants to play on the West Coast), then Texas (need, deep pockets, ownership wants to make splash, block a rival), then Oakland (needs to be in the discussion just to show they are active, but no real chance they are going to spend the money).
I agree it's unlikely he lands in Oakland but it's not the lack of $$. They had Chavez and a few others come off the books and reportedly offered Beltre a 5 year deal for 64 million. After he dragged his feet (like he did last year when Oakland offered him the best 1 year offer until Boston came calling) they yanked the offer from the table. I'm sure they'd toss it back out there if Boras called Beane. He's made it very clear he does not want to come to Oakland but it's really not the money that's preventing that. They have some cash to spend this year. Just not a lot of guys to spend it on. :goodposting:

I still want Beltre here.Can you convince Young to be the starting DH and be the first backup in the infield? I bet he would play the field more than he didn't.A YT/Beltre/Andrus/Kinsler/Moreland infield is more than acceptable both defensively and with the sticks. Cruz/Borbon/Hamilton with Murphy as your 4th works for me.
Better yet would be Young back at second base and Kinsler as the DH.....but I have no idea how they ask him to change again....and hopefully don't just tell himStill I think Vlad re-signs soon and that signing Beltre to a five year deal for too much money is just asking for trouble....but may be an acceptable risk given that I don't think they have a third baseman in the system who will be ready this year or next (Mendonca could develop down the road)

I still want Beltre here.

Can you convince Young to be the starting DH and be the first backup in the infield? I bet he would play the field more than he didn't.

A YT/Beltre/Andrus/Kinsler/Moreland infield is more than acceptable both defensively and with the sticks. Cruz/Borbon/Hamilton with Murphy as your 4th works for me.
Better yet would be Young back at second base and Kinsler as the DH.....but I have no idea how they ask him to change again....and hopefully don't just tell himStill I think Vlad re-signs soon and that signing Beltre to a five year deal for too much money is just asking for trouble....but may be an acceptable risk given that I don't think they have a third baseman in the system who will be ready this year or next (Mendonca could develop down the road)
Am I wrong to really like Kinsler's defense at second? I know he has his share of errors, but he always seems to have dozens of plays in a season that you are shocked he got to a ball and made a play, either way behind second base, way over towards first or deep into the outfield.I don't think Young would have near the range at this point in his career.

I don't think Young has as much range as Kinsler either

That said I think he would make less errors and one reason I made the statement is that you could pencil Young in for max games at second base whereas the next time Kinsler plays a full season will be his first, SO Young at second means the infield has greater continuity....Kinsler can more easily be replaced at DH for the next time out.

Brandon Webb has reached a contract agreement with the Rangers, according to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse.

Webb's agent Jonathan Maurer declined to comment on the report. The 31-year-old won the Cy Young in 2006 and produced a 3.30 ERA and 1.20 WHIP over 34 starts in 2008. His career derailed shortly thereafter, with shoulder problems limiting him to four innings over the last two seasons. Even so, Webb is a great low-risk signing by the Rangers, who lost staff ace Cliff Lee to the Phillies. Webb will likely be Texas' fourth starter. Contract terms have not yet been released. Texas beat out the Reds, Yankees, Rangers, Cubs and Nationals for Webb's services.

Rhodes works in this bullpen. He and Oliver add up to 145 years old, but if anything they should be solid from the last side. Hopefully Rhodes gets one or two of the early season situation that would have gone to DO and you get a better grasp on DO's workload.

I admit I love the Webb signing. You have to think the Rangers know more about his medical condition than anyone, and use that info to their advantage. He comes in as a rotation guy right away. Where in the rotation is still to be decided. His ceiling is as high as anyone in the AL.

Curious signing. I'll reserve judgement until the $$ emerges but it seems like a worthy gamble.

Though wasn't there a poster in another thread saying Webb couldn't throw higher than low 80's last year after he was allegedly mostly healthy?

Curious signing. I'll reserve judgement until the $$ emerges but it seems like a worthy gamble.

Though wasn't there a poster in another thread saying Webb couldn't throw higher than low 80's last year after he was allegedly mostly healthy?
Newberg is saying the same thing, mid 80's, about 5 MPH less than when completely healthy. Still worth the risk. Will make daily updates from Surprise in 6 weeks must reads.

Curious signing. I'll reserve judgement until the $$ emerges but it seems like a worthy gamble.Though wasn't there a poster in another thread saying Webb couldn't throw higher than low 80's last year after he was allegedly mostly healthy?
Webb's contract is $3 million plus a lot of incentives (if all of them were met he would have helped the Rangers win the West again with a great year and earn around $10 million total)

The team is quiet....almost too quiet.

:lmao:

I think something big is going to happen still in this offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
The team is quiet....almost too quiet.:shrug:I think something big is going to happen still in this offseason.
Perhaps - there is still the location of Beltre and if the Rangers miss on that the potential to bring back Vlad (which I absolutely think they should do regardless)BUT....if none of those happen, they are still coming to spring training as the AL Champs with most players back and still have a TON of talent in the system to draw from.

Users who are viewing this thread