What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CBS Sportsline - What Commissioners Can Do (1 Viewer)

dkocourek

Footballguy
This past week I discovered the power and access that commissioners have on CBS Sportsline. I'll spare you the specific details, but commissioners can revise their own starting lineups during games and subsequently delete the lineup move altogether.

I understand that commissioners should have this authority for others in their league, but for their own team? Makes me wonder what else commissioners can do on their website. Anyone else aware of this issue?

There's always got to be a trust factor when it comes to your commissioner, but CBS is giving too much power and temptation to them. Unless you monitor the commissioner's starting lineup right after kickoff of each game, you would never know he changed his lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:
This past week I discovered the power and access that commissioners have on CBS Sportsline. I'll spare you the specific details, but commissioners can revise their own starting lineups during games and either back date the time of the move (so it looks like they did it ahead of the game) or delete lineup moves altogether.

I understand that commissioners should have this authority for others in their league, but for their own team? Makes me wonder what else commissioners can do on their website. Anyone else aware of this issue?

There's always got to be a trust factor when it comes to your commissioner, but CBS is giving too much power and temptation to them. Unless you monitor the commissioner's starting lineup right after kickoff of each game, you would never know he changed his lineup.
What? A Commissioner has the power to change something? No way! If you don't trust him, quit.

This past week I discovered the power and access that commissioners have on CBS Sportsline. I'll spare you the specific details, but commissioners can revise their own starting lineups during games and either back date the time of the move (so it looks like they did it ahead of the game) or delete lineup moves altogether.

They should be able to make any changes they need to but those changes should be logged for anyone to see.

I am closely monitoring a "shady" commish in a CBS league that I play in (I busted him changing the back end of the schedule as we play doubleheaders each week and changed his own schedule, gave some BS reason but accepted "forfeits" in those games). I am aware that the Commish in CBS can "delete selected" transactions from the lineup transaction report, so I have been keeping an eye on the commish's lineup inputs with this in mind. However, I do not believe that the commish (I've run leagues in the past and still run a baseball league) has the ability to "edit" the transaction report to effectively "backdate" a lineup move which are all both date and time stamped within the CBS transaction report log.

yeah theyshouldnt have access to delete the transaction/activity logs

What? A Commissioner has the power to change something? No way! If you don't trust him, quit.
C'mon, really? Is that what he's saying? He's simply saying he has access to do things that are complete unnecessary and way beyond the scope of what a commissioner should be able to do. I suppose you wouldn't mind if you had $1000 on the line and your commissioner did this?

C'mon, really? Is that what he's saying? He's simply saying he has access to do things that are complete unnecessary and way beyond the scope of what a commissioner should be able to do. I suppose you wouldn't mind if you had $1000 on the line and your commissioner did this?
Unnecessary? I've had to change a lineup after game start b/c the owner couldn't get to a computer so called me and asked for a lineup change and I couldn't get to one either until after the game started. I don't think that's shady at all.

Basically, yes, this is what it seemed he implied. You have to trust your commish, even with things you think are unnecessary and beyond his scope. Some functionality has to be built in to be able to comply with league rules. I don't know the specifics of his league's rules but suppose this scenario:Commissioner is required to approve all transactions (trades). A trade is made 10 minutes before lineups are due for the week (let's say a Thursday night game), but the commish is not online at that time because he is working late. By the time he comes home, the game has started and the roster is frozen. By rule, the trade was valid. The commish should be able to go into the system and adjust the 'approved' time in order for the transcation to go through. He can then go modify the lineups for the teams in question as necessary to activate their new players. Both of your issues have been addressed in this scenario, so I can see the need for this functionality. It should be up to the commish to serve his role with integrity and not abuse his powers. If you don't trust him to do so, like NoCheese said, quit. Or replace him.

Man the internet will argue about anything. Down is up!

Yes, the commish should be able to make changes, but I see no legitimate reason that the commish should be able to cover tracks by editing the time stamps and deleting transactions. If there's a situation where the commish needs to change someone's lineup after kickoff it should be there for all to see and accompanied by an explanation that's within the rules of your league.

There is no way I'd want the commissioner to have that kind of power in a high stakes league. Money and competitiveness have made many a good person make bad choices.

The transaction log will show any commish moves in red. The commish can delete them (very shady) but usually its easy to catch. We caught one guy who did this since CBS logs lineup changes too. We caught the situation because there was a move benching a player but the move starting a player was MIA (or vice versa).

Send a screenshot of the matchup at 1:05 and 4:05 to PDF just in case! Even better use the roster grid (it shows the entire grid of all team lineups and who's benched)

Unnecessary? I've had to change a lineup after game start b/c the owner couldn't get to a computer so called me and asked for a lineup change and I couldn't get to one either until after the game started. I don't think that's shady at all.
i do that all the time

Transactions and moves can not be back dated. You can only delete them. They show exactly when they happened in the time stamp but can be deleted by the commissioner. We can also make add/drops the same way. You have to have trust in your commissioner but if you feel they are cheating, then you can find out by the lack of transactions report or roster moves on the sheet.

Yahoo tags the transaction, any transaction, with a time stamp and who did it, whether a roster add/drop or roster change on your team or another via the Commish tools.

I made some deliberate moves a year or two ago to show the league that any commish move was noted publicly. I don't see how CBS would not do this.

Man the internet will argue about anything. Down is up! Yes, the commish should be able to make changes, but I see no legitimate reason that the commish should be able to cover tracks by editing the time stamps and deleting transactions. If there's a situation where the commish needs to change someone's lineup after kickoff it should be there for all to see and accompanied by an explanation that's within the rules of your league. There is no way I'd want the commissioner to have that kind of power in a high stakes league. Money and competitiveness have made many a good person make bad choices.
Time Stamps CAN NOT be edited. You can only delete entries.

Yahoo tags the transaction, any transaction, with a time stamp and who did it, whether a roster add/drop or roster change on your team or another via the Commish tools.I made some deliberate moves a year or two ago to show the league that any commish move was noted publicly. I don't see how CBS would not do this.
CBS does do this. Commish moves show in red on the transaction report.

Sorry if I may have misstated what can and can't be done on CBS--I was taking it based on what the Commissioner has told me (and my trust in him has started to waver). So, even if they can't back date the time stamp of their roster moves, deleting them is just as much of an issue. And I have never seen where commissioner's moves like that show up in red. If someone could point out how to view these red labeled commissioner moves on CBS, I'd appreciate it.

I have no problem with a commissioner being able to make roster changes mid-game for other league owners that have requested changes via voice mail, e-mail, whatever. I do have a problem with a commissioner being able to make the same changes to his own lineup during the middle of a game. Why should that at all be necessary?

And I agree with one of the posters--unless I better understand how CBS is protecting and alerting other team owners of commissioner moves like this, I will not participate in a CBS league again.

I've been a commissioner on Sportsline for 11 years. The commish CAN NOT change the times or details of any transaction.

The commish can change his own or any team's lineup after the games begin, end, or even from any prior week. But every move he makes is logged in the Transaction report under "Lineup Transactions". Commish moves are shown in red. The commish can delete the start/bench transaction completely, but cannot change the details of it. So if you if see the commish has subbed in Gerhart for A Peterson at RB, but there is no transaction showing him changing his starters, there is foul play.

Your first mistake was playing in a fantasy league run on CBS Sportsline.
Right because there are no potential issues of "commish integrity" on MFL, if one ignores similar threads that have been on these boards in the past regarding "manipulations", "sandbagging" of WW moves, FA bidding, etc.

Right because there are no potential issues of "commish integrity" on MFL, if one ignores similar threads that have been on these boards in the past regarding "manipulations", "sandbagging" of WW moves, FA bidding, etc.
Integrity issues can arise no matter where you play.I was referring to the poor customer service and outrageous fees for Sportsline.

I'm curious, what possible benefit could their be in allowing a commish to delete transaction entries? Why is that function necessary? It seems that opens a whole can of worms that just doesn't need opening.

ZOMG LET'S BAN ALL COMMISSIONERS!!!!!1!!!!

I'm curious, what possible benefit could their be in allowing a commish to delete transaction entries? Why is that function necessary? It seems that opens a whole can of worms that just doesn't need opening.
When Ive taken back a transaction for a person, I delete the transaction. It puts the originally player backl into the FA instead of Waivers. It happens. For example, in certain circumstances a guy makes a WW pickup but then realizes later his Kicker went down. I'll allow the guy to take his pickup, put them back and pick up the kicker. We only have 3 roster pickups per week. Not a common thing but delete just makes it look cleaner. I agree though, it does leave room for abuse.

Integrity issues can arise no matter where you play.I was referring to the poor customer service and outrageous fees for Sportsline.
Then your original post is irrelevant and adds nothing to this thread.

False.Playing at CBS Sportsline was still the first mistake. HTH.

Sorry if I may have misstated what can and can't be done on CBS--I was taking it based on what the Commissioner has told me (and my trust in him has started to waver). So, even if they can't back date the time stamp of their roster moves, deleting them is just as much of an issue. And I have never seen where commissioner's moves like that show up in red. If someone could point out how to view these red labeled commissioner moves on CBS, I'd appreciate it. I have no problem with a commissioner being able to make roster changes mid-game for other league owners that have requested changes via voice mail, e-mail, whatever. I do have a problem with a commissioner being able to make the same changes to his own lineup during the middle of a game. Why should that at all be necessary? And I agree with one of the posters--unless I better understand how CBS is protecting and alerting other team owners of commissioner moves like this, I will not participate in a CBS league again.
I wanted to send an e-mail to CBS to find out exactly what a commissioner can and can't do on their website. But when I tried to send it, a message popped up saying that all inquiries to CBS must be made through the commissioner. Wow. Just wow.

Sorry if I may have misstated what can and can't be done on CBS--I was taking it based on what the Commissioner has told me (and my trust in him has started to waver). So, even if they can't back date the time stamp of their roster moves, deleting them is just as much of an issue. And I have never seen where commissioner's moves like that show up in red. If someone could point out how to view these red labeled commissioner moves on CBS, I'd appreciate it. I have no problem with a commissioner being able to make roster changes mid-game for other league owners that have requested changes via voice mail, e-mail, whatever. I do have a problem with a commissioner being able to make the same changes to his own lineup during the middle of a game. Why should that at all be necessary? And I agree with one of the posters--unless I better understand how CBS is protecting and alerting other team owners of commissioner moves like this, I will not participate in a CBS league again.
I wanted to send an e-mail to CBS to find out exactly what a commissioner can and can't do on their website. But when I tried to send it, a message popped up saying that all inquiries to CBS must be made through the commissioner. Wow. Just wow.
You got some serious trust issues dude. Either that or a shady commissioner. Whatever it is, it's not the fault of CBS' website settings or of the 99% of commissioners that don't change their lineups mid-game.

I've gotten responses from CBS on league matters as a non-commish although I may have always been an active commish on other leagues at the time.Your request is extremely "open-ended" and I'm sure that you won't get most of a response or a useful one from any service provider to "what can a commish do?". If you have integrity issues with the commish ask him for commish access for a few days so that you can fact find for yourself. If you have specific questions post them here as I am familiar with ~ 99% of the sites capabilities having run/played in both baseball and football leagues for years on CBS.

There can be a variety of legit reasons to delete a transaction.Some leagues charge transaction fees to teams on a per transaction basis.A deletion can reset the players status if being thrown back into the FA pool so that he doesn't have to clear waivers again.A commish can accept an oral instruction from a league mate to make a lineup change on their behalf (and screw it up and need to change it and also someone calls in such a change to the commish who isn't sitting 24/7 in front of a computer). Personally, I always post any such moves on the league message board so that there is tranparency.

I've done this a couple of times. Most recently, an owner's son thought it would be funny to drop half his team, and replace them with all Jets scrubs. Screwed up a couple of waiver moves. After fixing all the moves, I deleted all the commissioner transactions. It keeps the page cleaner looking.

I've done this a couple of times. Most recently, an owner's son thought it would be funny to drop half his team, and replace them with all Jets scrubs. Screwed up a couple of waiver moves. After fixing all the moves, I deleted all the commissioner transactions. It keeps the page cleaner looking.
Yes, and it definetly helps to keep the transaction log correct / clean if you use it to figure out the end of the year finances for each team.

You got some serious trust issues dude. Either that or a shady commissioner. Whatever it is, it's not the fault of CBS' website settings or of the 99% of commissioners that don't change their lineups mid-game.
No, it's not a trust issue. No matter what the integrity of the commissioner might be, the fact that they can go in and change their own lineup mid-game and then delete any evidence of that, to me--that's a serious flaw with CBS.

doowain said:
3nOut said:
doowain said:
Wilbur Wood said:
doowain said:
False.Playing at CBS Sportsline was still the first mistake. HTH.
^^ This. :popcorn:

We have a transaction limit on the season in our leagues and I use the "Finances" section to keep track of them. Basically I start each team off with a $ amount that is equal to the number of pickups you get and we charge $1 for each pickup. When your amount of money gets to $0 then you have no more pickups but CBS doesn't have the ability to stop pickups at this point so whenever I catch someone in the negative I have to reverse their previous transactions and delete the log entries so their money goes back like it should. This is one specific reason why a commish would delete a transaction log entry.

The ability to back date a transaction on CBS only relates to making a player eligible for a team in a specific week, the time stamps in the transaction log only show the actual time the transaction was made.... a commish cannot doctor this.

i ran a league for 10 years on CBS and knew about this. I never did it. I emailed CBS about it but never got a response. yes commissioners can cheat all day on CBS

dkocourek said:
No, it's not a trust issue. No matter what the integrity of the commissioner might be, the fact that they can go in and change their own lineup mid-game and then delete any evidence of that, to me--that's a serious flaw with CBS.
That ability is there for any league you choose. The ability to delete transactions for financial purposes and the ability to change lineups after kickoff are what a commish can do. Been around for awhile. I don't think you're going to find a site that doesn't have vast powers for a commish. Guess its back to checking the Tuesday box scores in the paper and mailing the results.

So basically YOU lied to us and wasted our time. I hope your commish boots you our of your league as a penalty.

i ran a league for 10 years on CBS and knew about this. I never did it. I emailed CBS about it but never got a response. yes commissioners can cheat all day on CBS
Commissioners can cheat in any internet based league. Someone has to have the power to change and fix things which as byproduct is going to give them the power to see stuff early or circumvent deadlines. You just have to trust they will act honorably.

I am closely monitoring a "shady" commish in a CBS league that I play in (I busted him changing the back end of the schedule as we play doubleheaders each week and changed his own schedule, gave some BS reason but accepted "forfeits" in those games). I am aware that the Commish in CBS can "delete selected" transactions from the lineup transaction report, so I have been keeping an eye on the commish's lineup inputs with this in mind. However, I do not believe that the commish (I've run leagues in the past and still run a baseball league) has the ability to "edit" the transaction report to effectively "backdate" a lineup move which are all both date and time stamped within the CBS transaction report log.
Indeed, they do not.BUT, say, they're flip-flopping on a lineup swap. They can swap the players before the game and then erase the swap, if it goes the other way.

I am a commish on CBS, and have thought of all sorts of nutty ways a commish could abuse this.

Never done any.

I did erase a lineup change transaction from the log several years ago. It was for another team (emailed change which I entered after kickoff), and I wanted to see how it worked.

I resolved at that juncture that I'd never erase a transaction again.

It's really a useless ability. Sure, it can be used for legitimate reasons. BUT none of the legitimate reasons are necessary, IMO.

It invites cheating. Perhaps more importantly, it invites suspicion of cheating. Neither is good for a league.

I wish they had the option for me to disable the feature, and let the league know it was disabled.

dkocourek said:
Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
dkocourek said:
:goodposting: So if you trust that your commish has integrity, what is the problem?

here is how a commish can cheat on CBS.

let say he has 2 RBs that have good match ups he wants to play at flex but he can only play 1. during the week he changes his line. one day for RB 1 at flex, the next day RB 2 at flex. the transaction log report will show the day and time of the changes. the games start Sunday, let say both plat at 1PM and he has RB 1 in his line up. well RB2(on his bench) runs for 80 yard TD on the first drive. he can go back in and put RB 2 in his line up. then he goes to the transaction log report and deletes the illegal transaction he just made and deletes the transaction he made early in the week where he put RB 1 in his line up. so on the transaction report it just shows where he put RB 2 in his line up early in the week

i have not used CBS for 3 years now maybe they have changed it. if not trust me, a commish can cheat all day unless someone takes a screen shot of his line up at 1 and 4

Commissioners can cheat in any internet based league. Someone has to have the power to change and fix things which as byproduct is going to give them the power to see stuff early or circumvent deadlines. You just have to trust they will act honorably.
i have yet to find a way for a commish to cheat on MFL, i am not looking for a way to cheat, just play in MFL leagues that I do not run.

i think the CBS problem is easy to fix. CBS should just make it automatic that an email is sent out when ever a line up change is made, to the league or just the opponent

i have yet to find a way for a commish to cheat on MFL, i am not looking for a way to cheat, just play in MFL leagues that I do not run.

i think the CBS problem is easy to fix. CBS should just make it automatic that an email is sent out when ever a line up change is made, to the league or just the opponent
Exactly. That would cure it.

Indeed, they do not.BUT, say, they're flip-flopping on a lineup swap. They can swap the players before the game and then erase the swap, if it goes the other way.

I am a commish on CBS, and have thought of all sorts of nutty ways a commish could abuse this.

Never done any.

I did erase a lineup change transaction from the log several years ago. It was for another team (emailed change which I entered after kickoff), and I wanted to see how it worked.

It's really a useless ability. Sure, it can be used for legitimate reasons. BUT none of the legitimate reasons are necessary, IMO.

It invites cheating. Perhaps more importantly, it invites suspicion of cheating. Neither is good for a league.

I wish they had the option for me to disable the feature, and let the league know it was disabled.
As people have mentioned, some leagues charge a fee per transaction. Deleting incorrect transactions helps to keep accurate dollar amounts.

Bottomline to the OP, don't get in a league with a commissioner you don't trust if you're that worried. Otherwise, its fairly easy to see when someone's cheating even without blatant notifications.

Never done any.

As people have mentioned, some leagues charge a fee per transaction. Deleting incorrect transactions helps to keep accurate dollar amounts.
The commissioner has the ability on CBS to alter the fee on each transaction. The record of the transaction stays, but the fee is negated. This will also show up as red to indicate that the commissioner changed the fee.

OK, I guess there are some legit reasons to delete transactions (forgot about transaction fees because none of my current leagues have them), but it seems like the hosting site should automatically email all league members when that happens. Then there's a record of it in case someone is doing something shady. Seems extremely easy to set up.

It's one thing to trust your commissioner when you're in a fun league with friends, but yet another when there are thousands of dollars on the line.

technology doesn't trump honor - like various people have said - find a good league with a good commish, and your problem is solved . . .

I can't fathom paying their ridiculous prices to begin with but why do other people especially when the above is the case. Absolutely sad that CBS rapes the hobby and sadder yet that so many of you let them.

Users who are viewing this thread