What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Bill Belichick, (3 Viewers)

SaintsInDome2006 said:
The sequence of events that led to Bledsoe going down and Brady coming in was pretty remarkable. As I recall it Bledsoe had a broken sternum and internal bleeding and went to the hospital, he was out. And Brady was drafted by Belichick the year before.

Before Brady, the only QB that BB picked before the 12th round was Eric Zeier in the 3rd in 1995.

But anyway, Cleveland had Bill Belichick, a playoff team..... and then they were gone. Horrible.

Oddly enough Cleveland picked the QB just before Brady, they took Spergon Wynn at pick 183, 16 ahead of Brady (who was a BigX guy no less).
Brady would have been the QB in 2002 even if Bledsoe would have stayed healthy. Belichick knew all of Bledsoe's weaknesses and exploited them when he was DC for the Jets. The injury was just a fortunate turn of events for Belichick.

Last edited by a moderator:
randall146 said:
Belichick sucks. He was a loser without Brady.

Also, Brady sucks. He never accomplished anything without Belichick telling him to dink and dunk.

Suckiest bunch of sucks to ever go 4 for 6 in Superbowls
It must be exhausting worrying about what everyone else thinks of your team instead of just enjoying your team.
When everyone else thinks of the Raiders, they burst out laughing. :lol:

Would those guys have been HoF players if not for Lombardi?

by 1958,

Starr was a 3rd year player with a career record of 3-15-1, and td/int ratio of 13/25.

Hornung was a 2nd year player with 129 career rushing attempts (he had 152, 160, and 127 in Lombardi's first three seasons).

Jim Ringo and Bobby Dillon were their only pro-bowlers.

Nitschke was a rookie.

I mean, sure they became HoF players and went on to win championships, but it's not like you could tell that by looking at a 1-10-1 team at the time.

Hell, the 1958 Packer team had a -189 scoring differential... double the next worst team. Not what one would expect from a team full of HoFers.
Here's what Lombardi inherited in 1959:

1956 draft - HOF T Forrest Gregg (2nd round), HOFer Starr (17th round)

1957 draft - HOFer Hornung (1st overall), TE Ron Kramer (4th overall), 1x Pro Bowl, 1x All Pro

1958 draft - LB Dan Currie (3rd overall), 1x Pro Bowl, 1x All Pro, HOFer Taylor (2nd round), HOFer Nitschke (3rd round), G Jerry Kramer (4th round), 3x Pro Bowl, 5x All Pro, G Ken Gray (6th round), 6x Pro Bowl, 2x All Pro

Here are the best players Lombardi drafted his 9 years in GB:

HOFer Herb Adderley, HOFer Dave Robinson, Jon Morris (7x Pro Bowl, 1x All Pro), Timmy Brown (3x Pro Bowl), Daryle Lamonica (12th round, went to the AFL Bills), Boyd Dowler (2x Pro Bowl), Donny Anderson (1x Pro Bowl).

Would those guys have been HoF players if not for Lombardi?

by 1958,

Starr was a 3rd year player with a career record of 3-15-1, and td/int ratio of 13/25.

Hornung was a 2nd year player with 129 career rushing attempts (he had 152, 160, and 127 in Lombardi's first three seasons).

Jim Ringo and Bobby Dillon were their only pro-bowlers.

Nitschke was a rookie.

I mean, sure they became HoF players and went on to win championships, but it's not like you could tell that by looking at a 1-10-1 team at the time.

Hell, the 1958 Packer team had a -189 scoring differential... double the next worst team. Not what one would expect from a team full of HoFers.
Here's what Lombardi inherited in 1959:

1956 draft - HOF T Forrest Gregg (2nd round), HOFer Starr (17th round)

1957 draft - HOFer Hornung (1st overall), TE Ron Kramer (4th overall), 1x Pro Bowl, 1x All Pro

1958 draft - LB Dan Currie (3rd overall), 1x Pro Bowl, 1x All Pro, HOFer Taylor (2nd round), HOFer Nitschke (3rd round), G Jerry Kramer (4th round), 3x Pro Bowl, 5x All Pro, G Ken Gray (6th round), 6x Pro Bowl, 2x All Pro

Here are the best players Lombardi drafted his 9 years in GB:

HOFer Herb Adderley, HOFer Dave Robinson, Jon Morris (7x Pro Bowl, 1x All Pro), Timmy Brown (3x Pro Bowl), Daryle Lamonica (12th round, went to the AFL Bills), Boyd Dowler (2x Pro Bowl), Donny Anderson (1x Pro Bowl).
looks like I missed Forrest Gregg, Jim Taylor, or Jerry Kramer because they weren't starters in 1958.

It's a bit of a chicken v. egg situation here - there was potential there, but it clearly wasn't working until Lombardi put it together. It's hard to say Lombardi inherited a team of all stars when they were the worst team in the league the two years before he arrived.

Prior to Lombardi, the Pack hadn't had a winning season since Curly Lambeau was coach in 1947 - 12 years pryor.

Boyd Dowler, by the way, used to see a woman who lived across the street from me while I was growing up.

randall146 said:

Also, Brady sucks. He never accomplished anything without Belichick telling him to dink and dunk.

It must be exhausting worrying about what everyone else thinks of your team instead of just enjoying your team.
When everyone else thinks of the Raiders, they burst out laughing. :lol:
Truth. The difference is, I don't care. I'll love the Raiders until I die.

randall146 said:

probably not as exhausting as posting about them all day every day

dude, just be honest with yourself and hop on the bandwagon --- you can talk pats and get attention from your fellow pats fans around the clock

we even have entire messageboards dedicated to nothing but the pats!
Pass. To be candid, my dislike of the Pats has absolutely nothing to do with the cheating allegations. I just know that tweaks their fans. :)

I've lived in New England my entire life. When the Pats were terrible in the early 90s, you could not find a Patriots fan with a search party. Now, EVERY Pats fan alive was one of the 700 people at New England home games during that era. It's a remarkable coincidence. I like having fun with you guys. Truth be told, how can anyone not admire what they've accomplished? It's the Diehard Pats Fans Since 2001 who bug me.

A lot of us are diehard pats fans since 93, when parcels came to town. A lot more are diehards since 86 when they lucked into a superbowl only to run into the bears. I think most towns have their bandwagoners, and people who tune out when the local team sucks.

Truth be told, the most obnoxious group of fans isn't the bandwagoners. It's the anti bandwagoners, the guys who decide to be fans of a rival team just to piss people off, who incessantly root against everything their friends want. Its loyalty to laundry over the people around you. It's toxically antisocial.

Serious question for you GB - do have friends and family who are diehard Raiders fans? What's your story?

I've told the story before; I saw the Raiders logo and uniforms when I was 5 years old and fell in love with them. Sometimes it's just that simple.

Wish I had fallen in love with the Steelers, 49ers or Pats uniforms instead. Life would have been a lot easier.

Having said that, imagine growing up as a Lions or Browns fan? :topcat:

I've told the story before; I saw the Raiders logo and uniforms when I was 5 years old and fell in love with them. Sometimes it's just that simple.
that's the story of why you root for the Raiders. Are you this rabidly anti patriot at home though? or are you just fishing here?

that's the story of why you root for the Raiders. Are you this rabidly anti patriot at home though? or are you just fishing here?
Even worse.
I guess if that's your thing. Just seems like a sad, anti-social thing. Its not like you're a transplant or plan on moving soon. You just let some decision you made as a five year old determine that you're going to be the guy nobody really wants to hang out with during the game, and who nobody really wants to talk sports with, while you've made sports a huge part of your hobby time as an adult. No joke, I kind of feel bad for you. You're a grown up now. It doesn't have to be this way.

It's a bit of a chicken v. egg situation here - there was potential there, but it clearly wasn't working until Lombardi put it together. It's hard to say Lombardi inherited a team of all stars when they were the worst team in the league the two years before he arrived.
It takes players a few years to develop. By the time Lombardi took over those guys were hitting their stride.

Lombardi's first pick with the Packers was QB Randy Duncan with the 1st overall pick - and he chose to play in the CFL.

He was a great coach but those teams would have more games than they lost with any decent head coach.

Even worse.
I guess if that's your thing. Just seems like a sad, anti-social thing. Its not like you're a transplant or plan on moving soon. You just let some decision you made as a five year old determine that you're going to be the guy nobody really wants to hang out with during the game, and who nobody really wants to talk sports with, while you've made sports a huge part of your hobby time as an adult. No joke, I kind of feel bad for you. You're a grown up now. It doesn't have to be this way.
Who's fishing now? I have plenty of friends, thanks. And we all enjoy making fun of bandwagoning Pats fans like yourself.

Even worse.
Who's fishing now? I have plenty of friends, thanks. And we all enjoy making fun of bandwagoning Pats fans like yourself.
I'm not saying you don't have friends. And I'm a huge fan of yours so please don't take this the wrong way. Just giving honest advice. I've known that guy, I've been that guy (had a work event with a yankees fan many years ago that I wish I could take back...) and I've learned that being that guy it if some warped sense of lifelong allegiance against what everyone around you us rooting for just generally doesn't work out so good. You're welcome to troll away here, I enjoy it. maybe things are perfect at home and I'm just talking out my ###. I dunno.

A lot of us are diehard pats fans since 93, when parcels came to town. A lot more are diehards since 86 when they lucked into a superbowl only to run into the bears. I think most towns have their bandwagoners, and people who tune out when the local team sucks.

Truth be told, the most obnoxious group of fans isn't the bandwagoners. It's the anti bandwagoners, the guys who decide to be fans of a rival team just to piss people off, who incessantly root against everything their friends want. Its loyalty to laundry over the people around you. It's toxically antisocial.

Serious question for you GB - do have friends and family who are diehard Raiders fans? What's your story?
this is true. Plenty of raider fans where I grew up - that was the anti-Bronco team to root for. I'd think the anti-bandwagon team in NE would be Miami or the Jets.

Even worse.
But RN, we have lived here and rooted for the pats all our lives, you are clearly the band wagon fan.

As a child you jumped on the Raiders band wagon when they were winning, they were cool and now you are bitter since the Raiders have been the most pathetic team in the league for close to 3 decades now. I remember, and I bet we are pretty close to the same age, but I stuck with my team and couldn't imagine rooting for anyone other than the Pats.

You made a bad decision when you were a child, whats your excuse now? Grow the f up, the band wagon #### has gotten old, particularly coming from the dictionary definition of a band wagon jumper.

Let it go bud......

I'm not even sure what the hell you're talking about. I couldn't be happier. Just bought a beautiful new home and work is going well.

I wish the Pats had lost but you can't have it all. :shrug:

Even worse.
But RN, we have lived here and rooted for the pats all our lives, you are clearly the band wagon fan.

As a child you jumped on the Raiders band wagon when they were winning and now you are bitter since the Raiders have been the most pathetic team in the league for close to 3 decades now.

You made a bad decision when you were a child, whats your excuse now? The band wagon #### has gotten old, particularly coming from the dictionary definition of a band wagon jumper.

Let it go bud......
Okay, now I'm really upset.

Even worse.

As a child you jumped on the Raiders band wagon when they were winning and now you are bitter since the Raiders have been the most pathetic team in the league for close to 3 decades now.

You made a bad decision when you were a child, whats your excuse now? The band wagon #### has gotten old, particularly coming from the dictionary definition of a band wagon jumper.

Let it go bud......
Upset? Then go be upset, but stop bein such a bitter hater and lol trying to claim that we are band wagon fans. Look in the mirror, it is you who are the dictionary definition of a band wagon fan. You made your decision so live and let live dude, don't be so bitter.

Even worse.

Let it go bud......
Upset? Then go be upset, but stop bein such a bitter hater and lol trying to claim that we are band wagon fans. Look in the mirror, it is you who are the dictionary definition of a band wagon fan. You made your decision so live and let live dude, don't be so bitter.
No, I'm not actually upset at all. Figured you'd get the sarcasm. Type some more.

Wish I had fallen in love with the Steelers, 49ers or Pats uniforms instead. Life would have been a lot easier.

Having said that, imagine growing up as a Lions or Browns fan? :topcat:
who would fall in love with the browns logo?
Ha, not so much the logo with Cleveland, but their uniforms. Which I love, BTW.

Kevin Mack looked like a freight train with those giant shoulder pads. The white on white is so simple, yet great looking. Same with Penn State.

Who cares how someone gets to be a fan of a team? My dad is from Wisconsin so is obviously a packer fan (hence my name), but we moved to Massachusetts in 81 when I was 6. My earliest football memories were of the 86 season that didnt end well for the Pats, and i was convinced for years that if Grogan had started that game instead of ####### Eason they would have beat the bears (I was not a bright child).

So my Patriot fandom started because of a job my dad took 1000+ miles away from where I was born. If he hadn't, I would be a Packer fan and likely despise the Patriots like all my relatives do. How is that any less random then seeing the cool uniforms of a good team as a kid and becoming a lifetime fan?

brady carried his ### and he sucked in cleveland
:lmao:

Belichick and Brady need each other, as Brady needed his defense, who shutdown the Seahawks the last 1 1/2 quarters of the Super Bowl.

There is no ### carrying between Brady and Belichick. They work like a fine swiss timepiece.

Users who are viewing this thread