What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Bill Belichick, (3 Viewers)

Patriot fans are going to cry about this, but it's pretty clear that BB doesn't make the same kind of in-game adjustments he made before Spygate. They used to always make the right move in the second half. Now they're hit and miss like everyone else. Their between game adjustments for each opponent are still pretty good, but if the opponent comes out in something New England doesn't expect, they don't adjust like they did in the past.
How were their adjustments against the Colts in the 2006 AFC Championship game which was pre-Spygate?

Patriot fans are going to cry about this, but it's pretty clear that BB doesn't make the same kind of in-game adjustments he made before Spygate. They used to always make the right move in the second half. Now they're hit and miss like everyone else. Their between game adjustments for each opponent are still pretty good, but if the opponent comes out in something New England doesn't expect, they don't adjust like they did in the past.
How were their adjustments against the Colts in the 2006 AFC Championship game which was pre-Spygate?
Was that the game where NE had like every DB hurt in the second half?

They used to show the incredible record that Belichick had in a rematch.....now, not so much.and if it only takes a handful of journalists (8 Voters I think) to keep a person from being inducted to the HOF, then I can see Belichick getting Chris Cartered 5 years after he retires.That's why Peter King is trying to revamp the voting process, huge black eye for the league.

If I was a fan of New England, my biggst problem would be this... What exactly was the offensive game plan?I really don't understand why they didn't run a bit more and I don't undertand why they didn't run more no huddle.

If I was a fan of New England, my biggst problem would be this... What exactly was the offensive game plan?I really don't understand why they didn't run a bit more and I don't undertand why they didn't run more no huddle.
As I said in another thread a Patriot loss almost always looks the same...it usually involves two things...one, a lack of pass rush allowing the opposing QB to have too much time...two, bad playcalling that gets the offense out of sync...both were on display yesterday...

Great questions. Especially with a suspect defense such as Baltimore. Only Daniels and Brady know the true answers.Definitely should have pounded it more, used screens and played more up tempo to make that defense gassed. SF will shred Baltimore and the game will be a joke by halftime.

As I said in another thread a Patriot loss almost always looks the same...it usually involves two things...one, a lack of pass rush allowing the opposing QB to have too much time...two, bad playcalling that gets the offense out of sync...both were on display yesterday...
I can appreciate that. One of the best ways to get back into sync is to dictate pace. Which is done through the hurry up that NE does better then anyone, or by slowing the game and running. I don't follow the Pats really closely, but it seemed to me like the play calling was right into the strength of the Ravens defense.I was left thinking that more Ridley/Vereen early would have been good. Especially since Ridley seemed to have positive runs. Also thought that more deep shots were needed.It was weird to me.

No, I think you are referencing the Carolina SB

i love the chumpies on here who say well back in lombardis day there were less teams or guys would go and do other stuff like that somehow lessens the popes accomplishments truth is it makes them even more impressive less teams equals more talent on each team equals harder to beat teams and if you say that somehow getting to beat up on a punch of nincompantywastes like a blaine crappy pants gabbert led jacksonville squad makes a modern era coach better you are crazy nuts in the head and now guys want to stay in the league for money and fame reasons so its easier to make the them toe the line than in lombardis era where guys could and would just leave and go be a meat cutter at the local general store across from the post trust me on that one brohans so to summarize billecheck is a good coach no doubt but vince has the best line and best accomplishments and until someone tops it all the rest is just revisionist excuse making and no matter how long you argue it you still dont have the one thing that counts and that is the ringzos and the statzos my fellow brohanzos take that to the canton bank and go tell your momma
There are also many that feel if it is pre-Super Bowl it doesn't count. That thinking discards a significant part of Lombardi and even Landry's coaching careers. They were an impressive duo as assistants for the Giants.

Right, cause almost every time the Patriots lose a playoff game, some of their fans have an excuse ready. I am friends with a guy from Boston, and every time they lose a game, he rants on facebook about what they did wrong and how this or that is why, and he never really gives the other team credit for the win. It's always what they did wrong or what bad luck befell them. The Broncos beat them in '05 cause the refs gave the Broncos the ball at the 1 after Bailey's run back instead of calling it a fumble and a touchback for the Patriots. The Colts beat them in '06 cause they had players on defense who had the flu.The Giants beat them in '07 cause of a lucky helmet catch.The Ravens beat them in '09 cause Welker got hurt the week before and demoralized the team.I don't remember any ready-made excuse for the Jets loss in '10.The Giants beat them in '11 cause of the Manningham catch and Brady's bad throw/Welker's drop. The Ravens beat them in '12 cause Talib got hurt and Welker's drop in the 3rd. The fun never stops. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can appreciate that. One of the best ways to get back into sync is to dictate pace. Which is done through the hurry up that NE does better then anyone, or by slowing the game and running. I don't follow the Pats really closely, but it seemed to me like the play calling was right into the strength of the Ravens defense.I was left thinking that more Ridley/Vereen early would have been good. Especially since Ridley seemed to have positive runs. Also thought that more deep shots were needed.It was weird to me.
let's bear in mind they ran the ball 20x in the first 3 quarters --- I wouldn't exactly call that ignoring the run.I think the irony about asking for more runs is that the case could be made that this game was lost on a running play.it was a one score game early in the 4th when the pats were marching to midfield ---- ridley takes a hit to the head and fumbles the ball on his 4th run of the 5 play series, after which balt scores to make it a 2 score lead.pats come out throwing, trying to get those 2 scores, but the game was over.

Patriot fans are going to cry about this, but it's pretty clear that BB doesn't make the same kind of in-game

adjustments he made before Spygate. They used to always make the right move in the second half. Now they're hit and miss like everyone else. Their between game adjustments for each opponent are still pretty good, but if the opponent comes out in something New England doesn't expect, they

don't adjust like they did in the past.
Right, cause almost every time the Patriots lose a playoff game, some of their fans have an excuse ready. I am friends with a guy from Boston, and every time they lose a game, he rants on facebook about what they did wrong and how this or that is why, and he never really gives the other team credit for the win. It's always what they did wrong or what bad luck befell them. The Broncos beat them in '05 cause the refs gave the Broncos the ball at the 1 after Bailey's run back instead of calling it a fumble and a touchback for the Patriots.

The Colts beat them in '06 cause they had players on defense who had the flu.

The Giants beat them in '07 cause of a lucky helmet catch.

The Ravens beat them in '09 cause Welker got hurt the week before and demoralized the team.

I don't remember any ready-made excuse for the Jets loss in '10.

The Giants beat them in '11 cause of the Manningham catch and Brady's bad throw/Welker's drop.

The Ravens beat them in '12 cause Talib got hurt and Welker's drop in the 3rd.

The fun never stops. :thumbup: :thumbup:
I don't think that's very accurate.

Right, cause almost every time the Patriots lose a playoff game, some of their fans have an excuse ready. I am friends with a guy from Boston, and every time they lose a game, he rants on facebook about what they did wrong and how this or that is why, and he never really gives the other team credit for the win. It's always what they did wrong or what bad luck befell them. The Broncos beat them in '05 cause the refs gave the Broncos the ball at the 1 after Bailey's run back instead of calling it a fumble and a touchback for the Patriots. The Colts beat them in '06 cause they had players on defense who had the flu.The Giants beat them in '07 cause of a lucky helmet catch.The Ravens beat them in '09 cause Welker got hurt the week before and demoralized the team.I don't remember any ready-made excuse for the Jets loss in '10.The Giants beat them in '11 cause of the Manningham catch and Brady's bad throw/Welker's drop. The Ravens beat them in '12 cause Talib got hurt and Welker's drop in the 3rd. The fun never stops. :thumbup: :thumbup:
WTF are you talking about? Did you even bother to read our exchange before replying?

WTF are you talking about? Did you even bother to read our exchange before replying?
I was replying in a general way, not so much arguing or disagreeing with you, but since your post was the one I replied to, I get the confusion I caused. :lol: Sorry about that. :)

If I was a fan of New England, my biggest problem would be the defense. BB is supposed to be a genius defensive coorodinator and they have been using a good portion of their early picks shoring up that defense but they are still giving up a tonne of yards. You look at that defense and it is full of 1st/2nd round picks Wilford, Mayo, Chung, Spikes, Dowling, Hightower, McCourty, Talib and Chandler Jones. It not like this team doesn't have enough talent to be a top defense. They should seriously be thinkinging about changing schemes and hiring Lovie Smith as the DC.

I don't know about "best" coach, but he's definitely the classiest.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick never looks happy when he wins. He’s definitely not happy when he loses.

And CBS analyst Shannon Sharpe has had enough. Sharpe ripped Belichick for declining to submit to an interview with Steve Tasker of CBS after Sunday’s 28-13 loss to the Ravens.

“There’s something to be said about being gracious in defeat,” Sharpe said. “We’ve seen the New England Patriots five times in the last 12 years be victorious. And we’ve seen the opposing coaches that lost come out and talk to our Steve Tasker. Coach Cowher did it when [the Steelers] lost to them. We saw this last week [when the Patriots beat the Texans].

“Bill Belichick makes it real easy for you to root against the Patriots. You can’t be a poor sport all the time. You’re not gonna win all the time. And he does this every time he loses. It is unacceptable.”
No point in coming out and congratulating the other team especially when you blame your own team and yourself for losing. Not everyone has this attitude but BB does, and IMO its the right attitude. IMO he should just not do it ever, including wins. He doesn't owe anything to the other franchises, maybe the Browns or Giants. Coach to win, be gracious by not saying anything at all, non-existent problem solved.
:lol:

If I was a fan of New England, my biggest problem would be the defense. BB is supposed to be a genius defensive coorodinator and they have been using a good portion of their early picks shoring up that defense but they are still giving up a tonne of yards. You look at that defense and it is full of 1st/2nd round picks Wilford, Mayo, Chung, Spikes, Dowling, Hightower, McCourty, Talib and Chandler Jones. It not like this team doesn't have enough talent to be a top defense. They should seriously be thinkinging about changing schemes and hiring Lovie Smith as the DC.
While the O has had some issues in the playoffs over the years it has been the lack of a quality D that has cost them championships...it has been a very long time since the Pats had a D capable of winning a game against a good team in the playoffs when the O was sputtering...the thing that drives me crazy is this has been so obvious yet never seems to be corrected (although they have some legit talent for the first time in a long time)...I would love to see BB bring in a guy like Lovie but would be shocked if that happens...for a better-or-worse he treats his coaching staff like a minor league system in baseball...he generally brings in young guys who he molds into what he is looking for...I think it would be a breath of fresh air to bring in someone like Lovie with some new ideas...especially ideas that involve a more attacking style that gets after the QB...

Thank goodness so many media outlets ran stories that Belichik is going to keep coaching the Patriots. Like the rest of America, I thought it was a foregone conclusion he was going to quit after this loss. :rolleyes:

Harbaugh/East said that BB actually suggested that they skip the postgame handshake last night because of what a circus it always was but Harbaugh asked to keep it in because he thought it was a good tradition. He went on to say that it was actually a very gracious exchange (Harbaugh said he told Belichick that the Ravens model themselves after the Pats in a lot of ways). And BB made no excuses at the postgame presser, he said his team didn't play really well and you can't do that against a good team, which the Ravens were. He might not have had his best decision making game ever last night but there's no denying that the man knows his craft. And he's a realist; he's not sitting around today moaning about his bad luck.

let's bear in mind they ran the ball 20x in the first 3 quarters --- I wouldn't exactly call that ignoring the run.I think the irony about asking for more runs is that the case could be made that this game was lost on a running play.it was a one score game early in the 4th when the pats were marching to midfield ---- ridley takes a hit to the head and fumbles the ball on his 4th run of the 5 play series, after which balt scores to make it a 2 score lead.pats come out throwing, trying to get those 2 scores, but the game was over.
Fair enough on the 20 runs, might have been a perception thing for me. My original point though, which I still stand by is...as an avid Football it was not apparent to me what the Pats were trying to do to attack Baltimore, they were all over the map. As well, many of the passes were right into the strength of the defense.

As I said in the game thread, for a team that has 24 picks in every draft, they don't have any difference making playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. Who's fault is that?

Belichick is under .500 without Brady. Browns & Patriots.Can not be the best of all-time.
And where would Lombardi be without Starr, or Walsh without Montana, or Knoll w/o Bradshaw, or Shula w/o Unitas, Greise AND Marino, and the list goes on and on. You cannot be this short-sighted to think that Belichick has been the only "great" coach with a "great" QB in NFL annals. You can be the greatest coach in the world, but if you have, say, John Skelton as your QB, you are going nowhere...And also, as others have said, you obviously do not know the Browns situation -- that was a franchise on the rebound until Modell announced his decision to move the team.

And Belichick is supposed to be a Defensive Genius...right? Have you been paying attention to his defenses lately?I find it funny, as Brady is running the offense, the cameras show Belichick huddled with his defensive players on the sideline tying to stop teams from putting up 30+ points. :lmao: A real Einstein of NFL Defense... :yes:

And Belichick is supposed to be a Defensive Genius...right? Have you been paying attention to his defenses lately?I find it funny, as Brady is running the offense, the cameras show Belichick huddled with his defensive players on the sideline tying to stop teams from putting up 30+ points. :lmao: A real Einstein of NFL Defense... :yes:
when I get home I'll check to see how many teams put up 30+ points

Belichick's place in history has taken a hit over the last 5 years or so. Losing a couple SB's, the cheating, losing in the playoffs, it cost him a place at the very top. He's still a great coach, but their are a lot of great coaches in NFL history.

The Patriots played 6 teams in 2012 who made the playoffs and lost 3.They had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL. They benefit from a division that has not been very good for 10 - 15 years.The NFL has not had NE play in Miami for a Sept 1 pm game in over a decade, while Miami has played them in Dec/Jan at Foxboro multiple times.Face facts (money too) when New England does well it is good for the NFL's bottom line. Do you think the NFL cares about the Chiefs? Rams? Cardinals? Bucs? Jaguars? as much as the Patriots? Sorry they do not.

As I said in the game thread, for a team that has 24 picks in every draft, they don't have any difference making playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. Who's fault is that?
Hightower and Jones were huge factors this year. New England's run defense went from suspect to pretty damn respectable this year. Those two first round picks were a big part of that. The Pats spent their first 6 picks this year on defense, and it showed. The weakness of this defense was obviously its secondary and to a lesser extent its pass rush. They made a trade at the deadline to get Talib, a play maker, in the secondary. He improved their defense down the stretch and got hurt at the end. I'm a Ravens fan, but I'm also a realist, the Ravens always match up well against the Pats but lets not crucify BB for losing in the AFCG when he's down his best CB and TE.

when I get home I'll check to see how many teams put up 30+ points
2012 ravens 31 (#10 offense)buffalo 31sanfran 41 (#11 offense inc alex smith)2011nobody2010buffalo 30browns 342009colts 35 (#7 offense)saints 38 (#1 offense)ravens 33 (#9 offense - playoffs)2008miami 38chargers 30 (#2 offense)pitt 332007nobody2006colts 38 (#2 offense - afccg)2005 chargers 34 (#5 offense)colts 40 (#2 offense)2004 nobody2003titans 30 (#5 offense)colts 34 (#2 offense)2002chiefs 38 (#1 offense - OT)bears 30jets 302001nobodyso, that's 19 games in 12 years, 11 of those against top 10 offenses, which included at least one playoff game in 10 of those 12 years, for an average of less than 1.5 games per season.I guess you don't see that many pats games, or he must be doing a halfway decent job. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I don't set the bar very high on this board, but what happened to the shark pool?

they were 10th in points allowed this past year with 4 rookies starting or getting significant playing time.

It's a real shame how infrequently Paul Brown's name has come up in this thread. Forget the wins (5th all time), winning percentage (12th), and games above .500 (3rd behind Shula and the as-of-yet-unmentioned Halas). Forget about the 10 straight championship game appearances and 7 championships in 10 years. All those feats are slightly diluted by the competition level in the AAFC (pathetic) and the size of the NFL (12 teams means a sixth of the league makes the championship every year). Talking strictly about his influence on the game, he is possibly the greatest innovator in NFL history. He essentially invent the concept of pass blocking and a pocket- prior to Brown, teams blocked passing plays like they blocked running plays, with each lineman being assigned a defender and told to physically dominate him. He invented the draw play. Most importantly, pretty much every organizational aspect of modern football teams is owed to Brown, from the heirarchy and delegation among assistants to practice schedules to the way teams study and prepare. Oh yeah, his coaching tree ain't half bad, either. Don Shula, Chuck Noll, and Bill Walsh, just for starters.

they were 10th in points allowed this past year with 4 rookies starting or getting significant playing time.
Good for the Pats...10th not bad against the Dolphins x 2, Jets x 2, Bills x 2, Cardinals, Rams, Jaguars, Titans. These are 10 games against the bottom offenses in the NFL. Be proud.

Good for the Pats...10th not bad against the Dolphins x 2, Jets x 2, Bills x 2, Cardinals, Rams, Jaguars, Titans. These are 10 games against the bottom offenses in the NFL. Be proud.
I guess the pats are just lucky to be the one team with chumps on the schedule :lmao: btw, pats gave up as many points as the mighty houston texans d

The Pats HAVE been lucky with the schedule the last two years, and yet their defense has still been not very good. They didn't beat a team with a winning record in 2011 (and the postseason following it) until they beat the Ravens in the AFC title game, and even that took Lee Evans dropping a winning TD pass and Cundiff shanking a chip shot. Having said that, Belichick is still an all-time great head coach and defensive mind, but his record lately in regards to defense leaves a lot to be desired.

Belichick is under .500 without Brady. Browns & Patriots.Can not be the best of all-time.
And where would Lombardi be without Starr, or Walsh without Montana, or Knoll w/o Bradshaw, or Shula w/o Unitas, Greise AND Marino, and the list goes on and on. Y
Lombardi went 7-5-2 with the Redskins. Bart Starr was 1-10 the year before Lombardi arrived in Green Bay, and 4-5 the year after he left (after winning Super Bowl I and II the previous two years with Vince).

The Pats HAVE been lucky with the schedule the last two years, and yet their defense has still been not very good. They didn't beat a team with a winning record in 2011 (and the postseason following it) until they beat the Ravens in the AFC title game, and even that took Lee Evans dropping a winning TD pass and Cundiff shanking a chip shot. Having said that, Belichick is still an all-time great head coach and defensive mind, but his record lately in regards to defense leaves a lot to be desired.
why are you citing 2011?

BB is a tremendous coach, with or without spygate, but he looks like he's 'lost his fastball'..as a Giants' fan,I've appreciated his defenses, and he even made the Jets look good..his run with the Pats is one of, if not the best head coaching runs of all time..the amount of games he has won is staggering..

I understand about the weak schedule and the 6 games/yr against subpar teams in the AFC East, and that is a big part of his success, but you have beat who is on your schedule..

isn't the def coordinator Matt Patricia to blame for the weak secondary play of the Pats? isn't he the guy to blame for the lack of in-game adjustments? who gets the blame for the lack of pass rusher? ( why'd he trade away Seymour?)..Giants secondary wasn't the strong point of the defense,it was the defensive line, capable of sacking and disrupting any offense..a line like that enables the secondary to better do its job... a sack-happy line limits the amount of time the opposing QB's have to throw the ball..you get more hurry-up passing, chances for more ints, more sacks usually means more 3rd and long,etc..Pats don't have a physical front 7..they were second in the league in sacks in 2007,in the 5 years since then,they haven't finished better than 14th. so they're not getting after opposing QB's..

Phil Simms alluded to the big problem with the hurry-up offense the Pats are so fond of: it wears out a defense, but it also wears out your own offensive line..I think Indy was the only team to win a SB that featured a true hurry-up, no huddle offense..Hurry-up offense also doesn't allow much time for your defense to rest,so they become tired late in games..

but perhaps certain teams just matchup well against NE, physical teams like SF, NYG, Baltimore, etc..perhaps others have just watched a lot of video on the Pats and have copied what has been successful against them in the past.. :shrug:

the dink-n-dunk screen pass ,bunch formation shenanigans are getting old and they lack new offensive creativity, they truly lack a speed demon WR on the outside( Sorry , Brandon Lloyd is an also-ran, second rate WR as evidenced by his 74-911-4 2012 season), and the oft-injured Gronkowski has once again killed them in the post-season..

Fire Patricia, hire Crennel ( too bad they missed the boat on Ray Horton), and I'd probably drop Joshy McDaniels and his one-trick pony bunch formation screen pass to Welker offense, for a Greg Roman type OC, i.e., a highly skilled coordinator with fantastic in-game adjustments and amazingly new offensive schemes..I think the Pats offense has become stale..or worse, frumpy. :P

BB is a tremendous coach, with or without spygate, but he looks like he's 'lost his fastball'..as a Giants' fan,I've appreciated his defenses, and he even made the Jets look good..his run with the Pats is one of, if not the best head coaching runs of all time..the amount of games he has won is staggering..

I understand about the weak schedule and the 6 games/yr against subpar teams in the AFC East, and that is a big part of his success, but you have beat who is on your schedule..

isn't the def coordinator Matt Patricia to blame for the weak secondary play of the Pats? isn't he the guy to blame for the lack of in-game adjustments? who gets the blame for the lack of pass rusher? ( why'd he trade away Seymour?)..Giants secondary wasn't the strong point of the defense,it was the defensive line, capable of sacking and disrupting any offense..a line like that enables the secondary to better do its job... a sack-happy line limits the amount of time the opposing QB's have to throw the ball..you get more hurry-up passing, chances for more ints, more sacks usually means more 3rd and long,etc..Pats don't have a physical front 7..they were second in the league in sacks in 2007,in the 5 years since then,they haven't finished better than 14th. so they're not getting after opposing QB's..

Phil Simms alluded to the big problem with the hurry-up offense the Pats are so fond of: it wears out a defense, but it also wears out your own offensive line..I think Indy was the only team to win a SB that featured a true hurry-up, no huddle offense..Hurry-up offense also doesn't allow much time for your defense to rest,so they become tired late in games..

but perhaps certain teams just matchup well against NE, physical teams like SF, NYG, Baltimore, etc..perhaps others have just watched a lot of video on the Pats and have copied what has been successful against them in the past.. :shrug:

the dink-n-dunk screen pass ,bunch formation shenanigans are getting old and they lack new offensive creativity, they truly lack a speed demon WR on the outside( Sorry , Brandon Lloyd is an also-ran, second rate WR as evidenced by his 74-911-4 2012 season), and the oft-injured Gronkowski has once again killed them in the post-season..

Fire Patricia, hire Crennel ( too bad they missed the boat on Ray Horton), and I'd probably drop Joshy McDaniels and his one-trick pony bunch formation screen pass to Welker offense, for a Greg Roman type OC, i.e., a highly skilled coordinator with fantastic in-game adjustments and amazingly new offensive schemes..I think the Pats offense has become stale..or worse, frumpy. :P
Indy ran a no-huddle, but not a hurry-up. Peyton milked every play clock all the way down making calls at the line. Josh McDaniels and his "one trick pony" offense owns pretty much every offensive record worth owning, including setting the record this year for first downs (by a pretty decent amount, iirc). It also led the league in scoring by a sizeable margin. Not bad for a stale, frumpy offense.

The NFL has not had NE play in Miami for a Sept 1 pm game in over a decade, while Miami has played them in Dec/Jan at Foxboro multiple times.
Yeah it was way back before we were football fans..... way way back in week one....... of 2011...... :rolleyes: . Week 4 of 2010.... Week 3 of 2008.... Week 5 of 2006... Now with that being said the NFL had to schedule Miami home games vs Pats/Jets/Bills in Sept/Oct for the past 20 years and you can thank the Marlins for that. They needed to put teams that the Dolphins played twice on the home schedule during baseball playoff times so they could "flip" the games if needed. This year was the first year that the Patriots played in Miami in December since the late 80's early 90's and it's mostly because of the new Miami schedule.And trust me.... the Miami ownership LOVES late Nov/Dec home games vs the Pats/Jets. You know how many NY/NE fans travel to see those games? Not nearly as many in September due to the weather.

Seymour was in the last year of his contract and wanted $15M a year. Belichick was able to get a 1st round pick (one that looked like a possible top 10) for a guy that the Pats couldn't keep. They ended up with the #17 pick and got Nate Solder, who after some early struggles looks like a good LT.Belichick understands better that probably anyone in the league that sacrifices have to be made to keep a team on top year after year. He's makes calculated decisions that might weaken the team in the short run but make it possible for them to be in the playoffs every year.

don't take this as any kind of personal attack, I wouldn't do that after you gave belichick a good review, but there are a few peeves in here for me.isn't the def coordinator Matt Patricia to blame for the weak secondary play of the Pats? isn't he the guy to blame for the lack of in-game adjustments? who gets the blame for the lack of pass rusher? ( why'd he trade away Seymour?)..Giants secondary wasn't the strong point of the defense,it was the defensive line, capable of sacking and disrupting any offense..a line like that enables the secondary to better do its job... a sack-happy line limits the amount of time the opposing QB's have to throw the ball..you get more hurry-up passing, chances for more ints, more sacks usually means more 3rd and long,etc..Pats don't have a physical front 7..they were second in the league in sacks in 2007,in the 5 years since then,they haven't finished better than 14th. so they're not getting after opposing QB's..

it's probably true that there are better and worse coaches and coordinators around the league, like anything else, but these kind of posts where some individual has to be scapegoated become a little annoying.

I'm really not fit to judge patricia's ability, but I know it's a team result, and I don't know how you'd be in any kind of position to say what % of failure in a given game goes to certain players, coaches, or the people that put that player on the field.

the first thing belichick says after any loss is that they needed to coach better and play better --- people might view that as tired schtick, but it's probably about the truest thing you'll ever see in any presser.

we all know the benefits of pass rush, and I'm sure you realize teams use different schemes that have different strengths and weaknesses, while also making trade offs in personnel.

to sit there and say the pats would be better off if they had jpp is kind of trite.

do you think maybe they should trade up to get a player like chandler jones?

or maybe they should burn picks to trade up for a guy like vernon gholston --- why waste picks on guys like mayo, solder, hernandez, or gronk?

I'm not about to be a pats fan throwing stones at the giants, but the reality is that great pass rush got you 12th in points allowed this year to the pats 10th -- and I don't remember seeing the giants in the playoffs.

last year, giants were 25th in points allowed to the pats 15th.

and if you think kyle love, wilfork, chandler jones, ninkovich, spikes, et al aren't a physical front 7 then I don't think you really have much of an idea of what you're talking about.

again, no offense, but this seems like some more stuff you just pulled out of your ### -- or maybe it was simms.

you do realize that their offensive line was so worn out that they led the league in scoring by a pretty good margin over manning's broncos?

how do you come up with these evaluations?

they were 12th in ToP at 30:27, meaning their offense (opponents' defense) was on the field a minute more, on average, than their defense, so their defense is getting worn out -- what kind of sense does that make?

eta that great mcdaniels coached offense in 2007 was 2nd in ToP, the year after it was 2nd again, and a year later, 3rd.

the teams you seem to think match up well with the pats seem to match up pretty well with the league, in general -- giants have won 2 superbowls recently, while both balt and sf are currently in the sb.

it's pretty unlikely any team will go undefeated every single year.

as has been mentioned, the stale mcdaniels offense led the league in scoring (once again), while sf ranked 11th.

and what's annoying about this kind of posting is that every #######g year people look at the most successful team(s) and say they have to hire a 'so and so type', with 'so and so' being the high profile successful coach -- we need a 'belichick type', we need a 'sean payton type'

what's a 'greg roman type' -- a guy who's in the superbowl (thx to fangio type, or maybe a harbaugh type)?

if the pats make the superbowl next year you'll be saying the giants need to hire a 'mcdaniels type'.

edit: now that I think about it, you're probably right -- pats should fire patricia and hire a 'dean pees type'.

Users who are viewing this thread