Please See Mine

***Official Philadelphia Philies 2017 Thread*** - Better than a good Hoskins, I'm saying it's a GREAT Hoskins.

1,848 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

His pitch recognition and plate coverage are what's insane right now and these are skills you don't just luck into. Watching him work a count is a thing of beauty. 

Of Stantons 54 HR's, only 9 have come with 2 strikes. Hoskin's already has 10. Its crazy.

Amazing stat.

...all of the sudden the bats are starting to look circa 2006-2007ish again.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/rhys-hoskins-looks-all-kinds-of-awesome/

Looking at Hoskins' rolling averages and comparing them to guys from this year reveals a pretty good list.  Cameron says the best historical comp based just on stats and batted ball profile is Frank Thomas (the really good one from the White Sox, not the racist scumbag from the 1960s Phillies).  

If it weren't for Bellinger, there would probably be a good chance to make a ROY argument if he finishes out the last 2 weeks in the same way.

Regardless of how the first half went and how bad the pitching is, Rhys gives you hope for the future. The fact that all the other bats have come alive when he settled into the 4 hole is an excellent sign. Get some decent pitching this off season not just aging innings eaters on their last legs, and the Phil's will be competitive. Not winning a title just yet but they could push .500 for the first time in 5 years.

3 hours ago, Insein said:

Get some decent pitching this off season 

This worries me a bit. I know we have a ton of money burning a hole in our pockets, but Id rather give the young guys another year to figure out their place on this team and then go ALL IN on Machado next offseason. 

1 hour ago, E-Z Glider said:

This worries me a bit. I know we have a ton of money burning a hole in our pockets, but Id rather give the young guys another year to figure out their place on this team and then go ALL IN on Machado next offseason. 

I don't want them breaking the bank for an aging washed up stud. But if they find guys in their mid to late 20's looking for a decent deal to grow with the team, I'd be all for it.

16 minutes ago, Insein said:

I don't want them breaking the bank for an aging washed up stud. But if they find guys in their mid to late 20's looking for a decent deal to grow with the team, I'd be all for it.

Agree. I dont think we're close enough to bother with Darvish, Arrieta, Cueto, Tanaka. I'd be somewhat interested in Alex Cobb. He's about the only FA SP under 30.

We have a glut of MI. I like Cesar and am OK with Freddy as a super-sub. Id be pretty tempted to float JPC or Kingery and see what kind of young arm you could get in return. 

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

Agree. I dont think we're close enough to bother with Darvish, Arrieta, Cueto, Tanaka. I'd be somewhat interested in Alex Cobb. He's about the only FA SP under 30.

We have a glut of MI. I like Cesar and am OK with Freddy as a super-sub. Id be pretty tempted to float JPC or Kingery and see what kind of young arm you could get in return. 

Find a way to get Shohei Otani

2 people like this

Altherr's grand slam off Kershaw last night was the 1st GS Clayton has ever given up in his almost ten years in the majors.  That is astounding.