Please See Mine

***Official Philadelphia Philies 2017 Thread*** - Farewell to the only Dallas we will ever like

1,751 posts in this topic

Ok, not to be a wet blanket here but who's out to clear payroll?

At least Blanton, maybe Ibanez too if Reuben can beg someone to take half of his contract.
They couldn't trade Blanton when they wanted to originally to keep Lee, not sure they could now without paying some of his salary in the deal which lessens how much that helps. Not sure who would be willing to take Raul at $11.5MM too. Was already hearing trade rumors for Chase before this and with him at $15MM wondering if they may consider him.And now that we have Halladay and Lee, does the FO think we need all 4 of those starters? Are Oswalt and (and to a lesser degree since he's cheaper) Hamels safe?And if we unload Raul or Chase or another position player, who fills in for the on the field and in the lineup?If the lineup takes a big hit, how comfortable are you with our great starters consistantly handing 2-1, 2-0, 1-0 games to Lidge?But one thing I'm sure Reuben considered was that if he can load up with a bunch of SP's that can go deep and rack up some CG's it takes the pressure off of the bullpen and you don't have to go out and spend big $$$ on bullpen / a closer.Also, maybe I'm just not as thrilled with turning into what I hate about baseball (payroll monster).Not sure if that says more about the Phils or baseball but I guess its what you have to do nowadays to compete.And I hate that I'm starting to say things that sound like what I've been hearing from Yankee apologists for years. :confused:But I think its obvious that Reuben has given up on his "restocking the farm system so we can compete for years and years" to focus everything on a 2-3 year window... but at least he's built the window about as big as you could hope for.[/ramble] Edited by Lehigh98

At least Blanton, maybe Ibanez too if Reuben can beg someone to take half of his contract.
They couldn't trade Blanton when they wanted to originally to keep Lee, not sure they could now without paying some of his salary in the deal which lessens how much that helps. Not sure who would be willing to take Raul at $11.5MM too. [/ramble]
But now, it's a year later and Blanton now has only 2 years left and the market has gone up a little which makes his contract a little less onerous.But, yeah, I don't think anyone touches Raul's contract.I look at it like this:I think they were willing to go to 15 Mil for Werth and had budgeted roughly 9 Mil for Blanton. If they can deal Blanton and only eat a couple Mil in salary, it's close to a wash.

Updated WS odds: Phils now the favorites at 7-2

"We're like, 'Whoa,'" Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino said. "I had heard about this mystery team. I was like, 'There's no way it's us.' Then I heard the Phillies were back in it. I texted Cliff last week and he never said anything. I texted him again today when everything started coming out. I'm like, 'Come on.' He finally texted me back, 'I'm back,' and I was like, 'Oh my goodness.' I thought there was no way we're bringing him back."You hear about a deal like this and you're kind of shocked. But this shows how much Cliff loved Philly. He turned down money to come back. That says a lot about him."

Possible nicknames (with pictures!) for the rotation

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2010/12/r2c2.html#more

Slightly OT, but whatever happened to thefightins blog? All I get is a blank page from the web provider.
I get

"This Account Has Been Suspended - If you are the webmaster of this site please contact us for further information"

Probably blew up the server.

Red Sox and Brewers interested in Blanton.

They couldn't trade Blanton when they wanted to originally to keep Lee, not sure they could now without paying some of his salary in the deal which lessens how much that helps. Not sure who would be willing to take Raul at $11.5MM too. [/ramble]
But now, it's a year later and Blanton now has only 2 years left and the market has gone up a little which makes his contract a little less onerous.But, yeah, I don't think anyone touches Raul's contract.I look at it like this:I think they were willing to go to 15 Mil for Werth and had budgeted roughly 9 Mil for Blanton. If they can deal Blanton and only eat a couple Mil in salary, it's close to a wash.
We'll take Blanton off your hands down in Baltimore. He'd be a nice veteran addition to a young staff.

This is insane. I can't recall a single free agent signing in baseball in the past decade that made me sit down and just go, "Holy ****."

I gotta hand it to this Phillies front office - the Howard contract had me puzzeled but this is just sheer genius. Doc, Lee, Ozwalt and Hamels. That is fricken impressive. All 4 could be considered an ace and lead a team. All 4 can win 20. All 4 can be a Cy Young. And then you add the lineup they get.

If I was a Mets fan, I'd throw in the towel already for this year. No one else in that division has a chance. They are going to fall down into 93 wins without breaking a sweat.

I love this move more than anything but our lineup is ancient right now. I fear the slump we had last year was not an anomaly and more indicative of the aging effect taking place. So many injuries last year. Were they just bad luck or bodies wearing down? I hope Chase can return to his previous form. Hopefully Rollins regains the speed and Howard remembers how to hit dingers. Those 3 make our lineup go now. So many strikeouts between the 3 of them though. Tweaking the lineup is needed and adding some cheap depth to the bench would be nice. Keeping Valdez would be great but I havent heard anything about it.

This made my whole offseason but they have a lot of work to do to get back to the World Series.

Edited by Insein

I love this move more than anything but our lineup is ancient right now. I fear the slump we had last year was not an anomaly and more indicative of the aging effect taking place. So many injuries last year. Were they just bad luck or bodies wearing down? I hope Chase can return to his previous form. Hopefully Rollins regains the speed and Howard remembers how to hit dingers. Those 3 make our lineup go now. So many strikeouts between the 3 of them though. Tweaking the lineup is needed and adding some cheap depth to the bench would be nice. Keeping Valdez would be great but I havent heard anything about it. This made my whole offseason but they have a lot of work to do to get back to the World Series.

None of the above matters with our starting pitching now. The opposing teams will be lucky to get away with a lone run most nights. They could even release the lion's share of the middle relief, maybe hold on to Madsen and Lidge only, but recommend that they take up counted-cross stitch or something to bide their time. This team is going to steamroll next season.

I love this move more than anything but our lineup is ancient right now. I fear the slump we had last year was not an anomaly and more indicative of the aging effect taking place. So many injuries last year. Were they just bad luck or bodies wearing down? I hope Chase can return to his previous form. Hopefully Rollins regains the speed and Howard remembers how to hit dingers. Those 3 make our lineup go now. So many strikeouts between the 3 of them though. Tweaking the lineup is needed and adding some cheap depth to the bench would be nice. Keeping Valdez would be great but I havent heard anything about it. This made my whole offseason but they have a lot of work to do to get back to the World Series.

:lmao: Last postseason they had 3 aces pitching virtually every night. This season they'll have four. Still doesn't solve a potential problem of a weaker lineup. They weren't giving up many runs last post season either but they found out that you still need some inkling of a lineup. With that said, since the Phils have become the new Yankees, they'll probably just buy a big time hitter.

None of the above matters with our starting pitching now. The opposing teams will be lucky to get away with a lone run most nights. They could even release the lion's share of the middle relief, maybe hold on to Madsen and Lidge only, but recommend that they take up counted-cross stitch or something to bide their time. This team is going to steamroll next season.
It absoluely does matter for the post season. I don't care about the regular season because the Phils will steam roll that division. Regardless of how good their staff is, they're not going to pitch shutouts every single post season game. They will face good pitching in the post season and will still need to be able to hit. Last season, I kept hearing that the Phils couldn't be beaten with their 3 aces (especially with Blanton only having to pitching one game all post season). Then they were beaten--ironically by the one team that got to Cliff Lee. Edited by fred_1_15301

Didn't the Giants beat all these aces last year?

I love this self-important narrative being trotted out today by Giants fans. (Hey- someone pay attention to us! We're going to be relevant next year! Just you watch!) Edited by JerseyEagles

I love this narrative being trotted out today by Giants fans. (Hey- someone pay attention to us! We're going to be relevant next year! Just you watch!)
I'm not a Giants fan.

I love this narrative being trotted out today by Giants fans. (Hey- someone pay attention to us! We're going to be relevant next year! Just you watch!)
I'm not a Giants fan.
Very true, I'm not a Phillies fan.

I love this move more than anything but our lineup is ancient right now. I fear the slump we had last year was not an anomaly and more indicative of the aging effect taking place. So many injuries last year. Were they just bad luck or bodies wearing down? I hope Chase can return to his previous form. Hopefully Rollins regains the speed and Howard remembers how to hit dingers. Those 3 make our lineup go now. So many strikeouts between the 3 of them though. Tweaking the lineup is needed and adding some cheap depth to the bench would be nice. Keeping Valdez would be great but I havent heard anything about it.

This made my whole offseason but they have a lot of work to do to get back to the World Series.

It absoluely does matter for the post season. I don't care about the regular season because the Phils will steam roll that division.

Regardless of how good their staff is, they're not going to pitch shutouts every single post season game. They will face good pitching in the post season and will still need to be able to hit. Last season, I kept hearing that the Phils couldn't be beaten with their 3 aces (especially with Blanton only having to pitching one game all post season). Then they were beaten--ironically by the one team that got to Cliff Lee.

:P We've assembled one the greatest staffs in baseball history and it's funny how now the lineup is ancient and can't hit and we're doomed in the playoffs. Yet you argue against yourself when you say that they "will be facing good pitching in the post sesason". No ####, sherlock. Well the other team is facing great pitching. Please tell me what great hitters the Giants have?, and in comparison to our lineup??? The Giants just won a world series with Buster Posey, a bunch of cast offs and journeymen yet somehow our lineup won't hit. Edgar Renteria is 56 years old, Cody Ross was released, no one wanted Aubrey Huff, Uribe is now an overpaid starting platoon player.... yet they won the World Series. Why? Because of the pitching. I'll trot out this starting four and take my chances with our "ancient" lineup any day of the week.

I guess people will try and find a chink in the armor for whatever their agenda is, see you in October.

It's still the best rotation in baseball. But in a short series I could see the Cardinals beating them, or a few other teams catching lightning and doing it. But that's just how the sport goes. You have to like your chances. It's a good signing. There's no way this team misses the playoffs, and from there anything can happen.

It's still the best rotation in baseball. But in a short series I could see the Cardinals beating them, or a few other teams catching lightning and doing it. But that's just how the sport goes. You have to like your chances. It's a good signing. There's no way this team misses the playoffs, and from there anything can happen.

Exactly, wild card teams win World Series and Super Bowls. It's why they play the games. I don't remember anyone in this thread guaranteeing anything. If the paper champion won every year, then the Yanks would've won 40 out of the last 43 World Series. But having this rotation certainly improves your chances, and that's all you can do.

It absoluely does matter for the post season. I don't care about the regular season because the Phils will steam roll that division.

Regardless of how good their staff is, they're not going to pitch shutouts every single post season game. They will face good pitching in the post season and will still need to be able to hit. Last season, I kept hearing that the Phils couldn't be beaten with their 3 aces (especially with Blanton only having to pitching one game all post season). Then they were beaten--ironically by the one team that got to Cliff Lee.

:confused: We've assembled one the greatest staffs in baseball history and it's funny how now the lineup is ancient and can't hit and we're doomed in the playoffs. Yet you argue against yourself when you say that they "will be facing good pitching in the post sesason". No ####, sherlock. Well the other team is facing great pitching. Please tell me what great hitters the Giants have?, and in comparison to our lineup??? The Giants just won a world series with Buster Posey, a bunch of cast offs and journeymen yet somehow our lineup won't hit. Edgar Renteria is 56 years old, Cody Ross was released, no one wanted Aubrey Huff, Uribe is now an overpaid starting platoon player.... yet they won the World Series. Why? Because of the pitching. I'll trot out this starting four and take my chances with our "ancient" lineup any day of the week.

I guess people will try and find a chink in the armor for whatever their agenda is, see you in October.

Overreact much? The other team was facing great pitching last year as well. How did that work out? The Phils had the best pitching staff going into last post season. For the most part, they pitched remarkably during the post season. How did that work out?

I never said that they were "doomed in the playoffs" or even that they weren't the prohibitive favorites to win it all (which they clearly are). My only point is that they were the prohibitive favorites entering last post season as well and it didn't end well. The reason is that they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

My post was in response to the guy who said "None of the above matters with our starting pitching now. This team is going to steamroll next steason". Hitting does matter when it comes to post season and the Phils proved that last year.

Edited by fred_1_15301

Watching the Lakers at Wizards game on local cable (DC) - Jason Werth at the game. Talk about having the air out of your sails.... interview was flatter than the Metrodome. :confused:

:ptts: We've assembled one the greatest staffs in baseball history and it's funny how now the lineup is ancient and can't hit and we're doomed in the playoffs. Yet you argue against yourself when you say that they "will be facing good pitching in the post sesason". No ####, sherlock. Well the other team is facing great pitching. Please tell me what great hitters the Giants have?, and in comparison to our lineup??? The Giants just won a world series with Buster Posey, a bunch of cast offs and journeymen yet somehow our lineup won't hit. Edgar Renteria is 56 years old, Cody Ross was released, no one wanted Aubrey Huff, Uribe is now an overpaid starting platoon player.... yet they won the World Series. Why? Because of the pitching. I'll trot out this starting four and take my chances with our "ancient" lineup any day of the week.

Overreact much? The other team was facing great pitching last year as well. How did that work out? The Phils had the best pitching staff going into last post season. For the most part, they pitched remarkably during the post season. How did that work out?

I never said that they were "doomed in the playoffs" or even that they weren't the prohibitive favorites to win it all (which they clearly are). My only point is that they were the prohibitive favorites entering last post season as well and it didn't end well. The reason is that they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

My post was in response to the guy who said "None of the above matters with our starting pitching now. This team is going to steamroll next steason". Hitting does matter when it comes to post season and the Phils proved that last year.

My reply was a combo to you and Insein. And I agree that hitting matters, of course it does. All I'm saying is with the staff we have, you don't have to hit .300 and score 8 runs a game in the playoffs to win it all. Any idea what the Giants postseason BA was? .235 They obviously didn't rely too much on their hitting, but they got timely hitting and won it all with very good to great pitching.

PS- good move taking out the homer shot, considering I'm a Phils fan posting in a Phillies thread defending my team. What did ya expect?!Wasn't much of an insult. :unsure:

Yup not much of an insult but I didn't feel like making it personal. Great move a

by the phils. Good luck

Wow, I really like the way this deal is structured. Only paying $11 million for this year's salary. Escalate once Ibanez is out of here, as well as possibly Jimmy and Oswalt. If they decide to re-sign Hamels after this year, I assume that Oswalt will have to go, unless they structure Cole's deal similar to what they did with Lee.

Now we just need to hope that a few of the position players in the minors actually develop . . .

Met Ruben Amaro this morning in the Phils clubhouse store at the stadium. He still seemed giddy, I shook his hand said congrats and thanks, he replied with a thank you for the support and happy holidays! What was he doing in there? With his daughter, buying Cliff Lee gear, of course!! How awesome is that?! :blackdot:

Phils deal with Dennys Reyes fell through, agent saying "we hit a snag". Sounds like an MRI came up ugly.

Not sure if this has already been posted somewhere but enjoy Phillies fans. If the f-word is not tolerated, you may want to wait until you get home to view the video.

Met Ruben Amaro this morning in the Phils clubhouse store at the stadium. He still seemed giddy, I shook his hand said congrats and thanks, he replied with a thank you for the support and happy holidays! What was he doing in there? With his daughter, buying Cliff Lee gear, of course!! How awesome is that?! :lmao:

Wait - the store is open when the stadium is not?

Met Ruben Amaro this morning in the Phils clubhouse store at the stadium. He still seemed giddy, I shook his hand said congrats and thanks, he replied with a thank you for the support and happy holidays! What was he doing in there? With his daughter, buying Cliff Lee gear, of course!! How awesome is that?! :moneybag:

yeah, so is mcfadden's.

The Team Store hours at the ballpark are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday thru Saturday.

Met Ruben Amaro this morning in the Phils clubhouse store at the stadium. He still seemed giddy, I shook his hand said congrats and thanks, he replied with a thank you for the support and happy holidays! What was he doing in there? With his daughter, buying Cliff Lee gear, of course!! How awesome is that?! :lmao:

yeah, so is mcfadden's.
:excited:

The Team Store hours at the ballpark are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday thru Saturday.

is that always or just holiday timeit doesn't say on the website... and where can you park. tia Edited by belljr

Met Ruben Amaro this morning in the Phils clubhouse store at the stadium. He still seemed giddy, I shook his hand said congrats and thanks, he replied with a thank you for the support and happy holidays! What was he doing in there? With his daughter, buying Cliff Lee gear, of course!! How awesome is that?! :pickle:

yeah, so is mcfadden's.
:pickle:

is that always or just holiday timeit doesn't say on the website... and where can you park. tia
All year round. I parked right in front of the doors, on the street curbside, Citizens Bank Way. Edited by 4x champ

Watching the Lakers at Wizards game on local cable (DC) - Jason Werth at the game. Talk about having the air out of your sails.... interview was flatter than the Metrodome. :no:

Classic case of, "You made your bed, now you lie in it."I know Werth went for the $, he's got his ring and wanted to get paid. But yeah, outside of his paycheck, nothing to be excited about playing in a place where careers go to die slowly and quietly. So yeah, winning wasn't at the top of his list. Fine, he was a FA and is a big boy, he can do whatever he wants. But yeah, nothing exciting about 2011 and beyond from a playoffs/WS perspective in DC.Also read that McNabb was also at that game, and while people cheered for him on the big screen, McNabb was booed. I love it. Edited by mquinnjr

Heard today on local sports talk that the Phils are interested in John Mayne. Not sure what his health status is, maybe it's a project like Kris Benson? Or they looking at him for long relief?

HighCheese: Halladay, Oswalt, Lee, Hamels and Lidge sitting at table together in clubhouse. This is like pitching coach p0rn