Please See Mine

***Official Philadelphia Philies 2017 Thread*** - John Felske sleeping with one eye open

1,796 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, CentralPA said:

I don't think it will take long to realize Neris should be closing with Benoit as setup.  I love Gomie but it's starting to become clear he is more of a middle reliever than a closer.

I prefer to think that we're being progressive and using our best relievers in the most high-leverage situations and then saving the 5th best guy in the pen to pitch the 9th when facing the bottom of the lineup. Of course I realize its completely unintentional, but it makes me feel better about Pete.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2017 at 9:35 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

Trout will hit 2, Harper 3.

Well if we trade Franco for Trout we'll need the 3B unless Crawford goes instead. I'd rather have Manny anyway. 

Maybe I'm being a little crazy but I might be disappointed if we don't have two of those three. I honestly expect it to happen. :shrug: At least be in play for 2/3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Billy Bats said:

Maybe I'm being a little crazy

:lmao: :yes:  Its a fun dream, but I don't see Trout being traded anytime soon and Harper has been destined to be a Yankee since he was born. I hope we're in play for Manny, but its still a long-shot.

I will never understand why we didnt break the bank for Moncada several years ago. We had nothing to spend the money on at the time and no reason not to outbid everyone. He'd look pretty good right now as our future 2B and middle of the order bat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

:lmao: :yes:  Its a fun dream, but I don't see Trout being traded anytime soon and Harper has been destined to be a Yankee since he was born. I hope we're in play for Manny, but its still a long-shot.

I will never understand why we didnt break the bank for Moncada several years ago. We had nothing to spend the money on at the time and no reason not to outbid everyone. He'd look pretty good right now as our future 2B and middle of the order bat. 

:) I hear ya, it's probably a pipe dream but the Angels suck and from what I've read their system sucks, so why pay him when they can restock quick with a bunch of our kids? Hope, brother! 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best half inning of baseball I've ever watched last night. 12 runs on 9 hits

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Best half inning of baseball I've ever watched last night. 12 runs on 9 hits

And no home runs. Amazing. Let's hope it starts something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck in your new role Gomez, whatever that may be. 

:rant: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just gonna say, I think that's it for Gomez as the closer.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Insein said:

Was just gonna say, I think that's it for Gomez as the closer.

Who would get the job...Neris or Benoit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eoMMan said:

Who would get the job...Neris or Benoit?

Has to be Neris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just dropped Madson for Neris.  I'm thinking it's just a matter of weeks for him.  He could be a beast.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can't we just make vince the closer and get this all over with?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the hell is it with Jay Friggin Bruce!!!!

 

..and Romas, I hope that high and tight just got away from you, didn't need to throw that pitch there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CentralPA said:

What the hell is it with Jay Friggin Bruce!!!!

 

..and Romas, I hope that high and tight just got away from you, didn't need to throw that pitch there.

I enjoyed it. I like my relievers a little crazy. He and Neris could be a nasty back-end for the next Phils playoff team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

I enjoyed it. I like my relievers a little crazy. He and Neris could be a nasty back-end for the next Phils playoff team.

Meh, I get what you mean but still wasn't sure that would be the time to do something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CentralPA said:

Meh, I get what you mean but still wasn't sure that would be the time to do something like that.

It definitely wasnt, but hard to imagine 1 game meaning anything come September anyway. I think 2019 is best case scenario for this team being competitive again. Now is when we're hoping to find a few guys that will be along for that ride. A reliever with a live arm and a screw loose seems like a good fit to me. :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking my kids to their first Phillies game tonight.  We've been to the Reading Phillies (Fightins) a bunch of times but they never really understood what was going on. They're 6 now. I'm hoping they enjoy it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Insein said:

Taking my kids to their first Phillies game tonight.  We've been to the Reading Phillies (Fightins) a bunch of times but they never really understood what was going on. They're 6 now. I'm hoping they enjoy it.

Was there for opening day.  The weather will be MUCH nicer.  Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CentralPA said:

Was there for opening day.  The weather will be MUCH nicer.  Have fun!

Well it wasn't great game wise but the weather was nice and they seemed to enjoy it. I even got my son to boo the Mets every time they came up. So mission accomplished.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Insein said:

Well it wasn't great game wise but the weather was nice and they seemed to enjoy it. I even got my son to boo the Mets every time they came up. So mission accomplished.

The weather was about all that was nice about that game.  Glad you've taught your son well.  Muck the Fetts!

1 hour ago, need2know said:

Cespedes sure can hit em far

Just about everyone on the Mets, including the Bat boy, could've knock it out of the park against the Phils last night.  What an ugly ugly game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems like as good a place as any to note the end of the line for Ryan Howard.  382 career HRs, 1194 RBI, RoY, MVP, .258/.343/.515.

His numbers are hurt a bit because he wasn't a MLB regular until his age 26 season.  He was drafted out of college and didn't exactly rocket through the Phils system.

Good player who made a lot of money playing the game.  I didn't have to watch his shortcomings on a daily basis but I always liked Howard's personality.  Here are his top 10 B-R comps which paint a good picture of the kind of player Howard was.

  1. Mo Vaughn (895.7)
  2. Prince Fielder (882.4)
  3. Frank Howard (878.0)
  4. Darryl Strawberry (877.7)
  5. Richie Sexson (870.6)
  6. Cecil Fielder (868.5)
  7. Rocky Colavito (867.0)
  8. Greg Vaughn (865.2)
  9. Edwin Encarnacion (863.1)
  10. Jeromy Burnitz (858.7)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

did not realize that the braves had actually picked him.

will always wonder what might have happened without that achilles' tear.  he had other issues, but it really seemed to sap him and then he never could get back.  phillies' fans were very unhappy with him at the end, but there is no doubt that he will get a huge reception the first time he comes back.  Those comps all make a lot of sense.  He could straight maul a ball just like Mo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

did not realize that the braves had actually picked him.

will always wonder what might have happened without that achilles' tear.  he had other issues, but it really seemed to sap him and then he never could get back.  phillies' fans were very unhappy with him at the end, but there is no doubt that he will get a huge reception the first time he comes back.  Those comps all make a lot of sense.  He could straight maul a ball just like Mo.

From 07 through '09 he could mash.  I will always appreciate what he did for the franchise.

 

So the now team gave up two 4-run leads in the same game and lost.  Ah the life of a Phillies fan.  :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll never forget that stretch where he was so hot, the other team gave him an intentional walk to load the bases with no outs putting the winning run on 3rd base.

He was never going to age well, but have to wonder how his career would've been different without that achilles tear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, E-Z Glider said:

I'll never forget that stretch where he was so hot, the other team gave him an intentional walk to load the bases with no outs putting the winning run on 3rd base.

He was never going to age well, but have to wonder how his career would've been different without that achilles tear.

To add insult to injury he tore that in the last at-bat against the Giants in the NLCS didn't he?  2010 I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CentralPA said:

To add insult to injury he tore that in the last at-bat against the Giants in the NLCS didn't he?  2010 I think.

Cardinals in 2011. They celebrated on the field as Howard crumpled to the dirt. The beginning of the end for both Howard and the Phils dynasty. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

Cardinals in 2011. They celebrated on the field as Howard crumpled to the dirt. The beginning of the end for both Howard and the Phils dynasty. :(

OK, yeah you're right, that was pretty much the end of the road for that team.  It was a helluva run though.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team is tough to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, E-Z Glider said:

Cardinals in 2011. They celebrated on the field as Howard crumpled to the dirt. The beginning of the end for both Howard and the Phils dynasty. :(

such a painful game in so many ways. like getting shot in the gut in the first inning and then just bleeding out for the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concerning pitching coach Bob McClure, I get that you may have issues with the catcher and how he calls pitches but going to the media and saying the #### he said was not right.  You keep that in house.

I like Mack but I'd be OK with the rest of the staff minus Matt Stairs getting the boot after this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CentralPA said:

Concerning pitching coach Bob McClure, I get that you may have issues with the catcher and how he calls pitches but going to the media and saying the #### he said was not right.  You keep that in house.

"Hi, I'm Bob McClure. You may remember me from such disasters as the 2017 Phillies pitching staff and trashing Cameron Rupp in the media." :homer:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.