Please See Mine

***Official Philadelphia Philies 2017 Thread*** - Ya know what, Chris? YOU suck!

1,743 posts in this topic

Domination of Florida State. Very impressive.

Some concern about Utley and his patella tendinitis. They said he's had it before and it's nothing to be worried about, some rest and he'll be back ready to go. :unsure: Needing a big, and healthy, season from him, this isn't a good way to start.

This makes me feel better though....

4 aces

Edited by 4x champ

I was about to post something the day before that tendinitis came out wondering if anyone else thought that all that soreness was strange right at the beginning of spring training, but figured I'd be shouted down . . .

In other news, Chooch's wife gives birth to a baby exactly nine months to the day after Halladay's perfect game. Celebrate good times.

Yes, Roy Halladay has the Carlos Ruiz pillow/doll/toy/whatever-it-is at his home in Florida.

It's in his youngest son's bedroom.

Halladay shot a commercial for 2K Sports' MLB 2K11 three or four weeks ago, and Phillies fans love it. Who knew Halladay could act? Who knew he had comedic timing?

"Are you guys saying I'm boring?" he said with a laugh.

Not at all, but an athlete acting can be a train wreck. For every Peyton Manning there are 10 athletes who look like extras in a high school play or musical. They are rigid and robotic, but not Halladay.

"I didn't feel natural," Halladay said. "But it was fun. I had a good time doing it."

Halladay, who said the entire commercial took about 1 1/2 hours to shoot, enjoyed showing the fun side of his personality. Fans and media mostly see Halladay's work ethic, which has made him arguably the best pitcher in baseball.

"When you're here it's obviously all business," he said. "I don't think people ever see really who you are outside the field. So, yeah, I think it's good. I've always kept that stuff separate. Yeah, I enjoyed doing it. And it was fun because it involved Chooch. That kind of made it fun."

Halladay's co-star is a pillow/doll with Ruiz's picture on it.

"I couldn't get ahold of (Ruiz)," Halladay said. "He's got like six phone numbers. I guess finally through the players' union they got ahold of him. They obviously had to get his OK to do it. They got his approval and went from there."

Halladay said he was on board with the idea of acting with a pillow from the beginning.

"There were a couple proposals early and I liked that one," he said. "It seemed to make sense. That was definitely one of my favorites."

See the commercial here.

Update: A Hollywood prop company made two Chooch pillows. They cost $300 each and are the only two in existence. Halladay has one. Not sure who has the other one. Quick, somebody check ebay!

Halladay's commercial

:mellow:

Not feeling good about Chase at all.

Domonic Brown's rough spring finishes at 0 for 15 and a broken hand that will require surgery.

I've read that Matt Anderson has looked pretty good.

It would be a good story to see him make it.

Chase Utley has been given a cortisone injection in his right knee.

Domonic Brown's rough spring finishes at 1 for 16 and a broken hand that will require surgery.

3 walks too. #errata #positivespin

I'm worried this is going to become a :tfp: of epic proportions

Safe to assume you're talking about Chase's knee? Yea things are not looking or sounding good. The type of player Utley is, and he's not playing, or doing anything? Trouble brewing....

Safe to assume you're talking about Chase's knee? Yea things are not looking or sounding good. The type of player Utley is, and he's not playing, or doing anything? Trouble brewing....
Chase .. no RF... going to be interesting

4 aces. No need to worry.

I think he should just bite the bullet and have surgery.

I'm not sure why he wouldn't. The problem won't go away, and the cortisone just masks the problem from what I understand. Talking today about surgery as a last resort for Chase. But when asked about when he'll be available, both Chase and Chollie replied, "definitely be back sometime this season". Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but UH OH. :eek: :eek: :scared:ETA: Phils top scout is now following around the Rangers, presumably watching Young. Edited by 4x champ

I'm not sure why he wouldn't. The problem won't go away, and the cortisone just masks the problem from what I understand. Talking today about surgery as a last resort for Chase. But when asked about when he'll be available, both Chase and Chollie replied, "definitely be back sometime this season". Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but UH OH.

:eek: :eek: :scared:

ETA: Phils top scout is now following around the Rangers, presumably watching Young.

If the surgery would take him out for the year...

08:18 AM ET 03.11 | If Brandon Inge is any indication, Chase Utley is in for a long season. "If he has surgery now, he'll be done for the year," Inge said Wednesday before his team played the Phillies in an exhibition game at Joker Marchant Stadium. Inge is not a doctor, and he does not pretend to be one. But he knows plenty about patellar tendinitis and chondromalacia, the new term given to Utley's condition in a statement released by Phillies team physician Michael Ciccotti. ... Two years ago in spring training, Inge developed soreness in his left knee, and it grew worse as he continued to play. "I just had to learn to deal with it. Otherwise I knew I was going to miss the whole year," Inge said. "About a month before the all-star break, it was terrible." Inge hit .268 with 21 home runs and 58 RBIs before the all-star break in 2009 and just .186 with six home runs and 26 RBIs after the break.

Francisco will be fine.
What's the word on when Brown will be back? Will he pretty much be given the job back when he's healthy?

Francisco will be fine.
What's the word on when Brown will be back? Will he pretty much be given the job back when he's healthy?
He'll go to AAA to get his swing back after the wrist is healed, so I don't think we'll see him with the big club until June.

And he never had the job to begin with. He was in competition with Francisco and Mayberry. It'll be his eventually, but it was not set in stone that it would be his this year. How much he plays when he comes back might depend on how the other OF are doing.

Edited by Pip's Invitation

Ugh, can we please just start the season. I don't like what is happening here . . .

Ugh, can we please just start the season. I don't like what is happening here . . .

Safe to assume you're referring to Oswalt getting hit by Manny's line drive? He looked ok walking off the field, last update was that x-rays were negative and they're labeling it a bruised neck. Hopefully he doesn't have a concussion. As a side not, Missanelli reported that a Rays player was seen laughing in the dugout and that tempers flared. I have nothing to support it, was wondering if you heard anything?

Nah, just talking about everything. Utley, Brown, Lidge, Polanco, Oswalt. Seems like all that's happening are bad things. Just want to get the season rolling.

The one possible bright spot might be Mayberry and Francisco. If they can contribute, it will really help a lot. We know that we don't need tons of offense, but we need some.

Edited by Please See Mine

Nah, just talking about everything. Utley, Brown, Lidge, Polanco, Oswalt. Seems like all that's happening are bad things. Just want to get the season rolling.

The one possible bright spot might be Mayberry and Francisco. If they can contribute, it will really help a lot. We know that we don't need tons of offense, but we need some.

And the hits just keep on coming.

Lidge shutdown, headed to DL with new problem.

The offense is starting to come around, slowly but surely. And that's key to back up the pitching.

The offense is starting to come around, slowly but surely. And that's key to back up the pitching.

Exactly. Barring the unimaginable, our starting pitching should be good enough to keep us in almost every game this year. Sure there's going to be the occasional down day from the starters but if we're in the game, we have a shot. Offense is going to be key, because to win 1-0 or 2-1 you still need to score those runs.

Was supposed to go to opening day but weather looks bad, think I may bail :(

Brad Lidge out 3-6 weeks and Jose Contreras named closer in his absence.

Brad Lidge out 3-6 weeks and Jose Contreras named closer in his absence.

And not surprisingly, Francisco wins RF job.Nice article to sum up the roster:http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20110330_Manuel_endorses_Contreras__Martinez_and_Francisco_as_Phillies_fill-ins.html

Little 9th inning Phils magic to start the year :pickle::thumbup::clap:

Glad I gave up my tickets for today....

This new scoreboard is freaking awesome

First 3-0 start in 10 years.

Good start to the season. SP is there as expected, and Howard, JRoll and Ben Fran are starting hot. It is the 'Stros though, looking forward to facing the Braves staff/pen. Francisco has been more of an adventure in RF than I expected, hopefully he doesn't give back the runs he's creating. I also don't want to see too much of the BP not named Madson or Jose this year.

Glad I gave up my tickets for today....

Come on man, IT WAS OPENING DAY!!!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Some rumors swirling around the twitterverse that Roy Halladay has been scratched from his next start and may head to the DL with shoulder issues... Can anyone confirm? http://twitter.com/#!/Phillies_Raw

It is at the earliest stages of rumors right now so I have no idea how reliable anything is... Just basically throwing a dart at the wall.