Please See Mine

***Official Philadelphia Philies 2018 Thread*** - Arrieta and Nola and Pray for Ebola

2,093 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Machado rumors are certainly getting a lot of buzz.  Seems a bit risky depending on the exact deal, considering the contract situation.  Though JP, Franco and some minor leaguers wouldn't be bad.  Assume Sixto is where they would start.

Sixto for half a season of Manny? Why?

30 minutes ago, Hilts said:

Sixto for half a season of Manny? Why?

where the O's would start in their wants, I mean.  I would not be into that for the Phils, though TINSTAAPP and all.

1 person likes this

No sense giving up anything (unless you truly feel the Phils have a shot at winning it all this year with Machado). He's waited this long, he's going to test FA in the off-season no matter where he gets traded. All he costs us at that point is money. Really need to see more of JP the rest of this year anyway. If JP/Franco/Kingery can fill 2 of the IF positions, maybe we're better off going after Harper? 

Jake Arrieta described himself as furious, said Phillies defensive shifts are worst in the league. "We need to change that. Copy the best. That's not my job." Said needs to be accountability check "top to bottom," after "horse-bleep" series.

:oldunsure: 

Thanks for not bringing your bats to SF

12 minutes ago, Billy Bats said:

Jake Arrieta described himself as furious, said Phillies defensive shifts are worst in the league. "We need to change that. Copy the best. That's not my job." Said needs to be accountability check "top to bottom," after "horse-bleep" series.

Im sure that they havent been beneficial to him at all this year, given his great numbers...

it is tough to see it happen in the moment for any pitcher, I’m sure.  But maybe if they had gotten a run or rbi from any position player in the series, things would be looking better for everyone. 

I didn’t see the game, just looking at some highlights from today and the other games.  I don’t understand where the shifts were a problem?  It seems like most of the key hits came against standard defense, so he wants them to shift more?

the big inning today featured a fluke check swing infield hit, a bloop single and then arrietta hanging a curve that mccutchen barely kept fair to the opposite field for a hr.

also had no idea that pudge rodriguez’s Kid was a mlb pitcher.

Is this just a matter of the offense was never really that talented and now it's finally starting to catch up?  Herrera was playing way over his head but he's come crashing back down to Earth.  

2 hours ago, Billy Bats said:

I never could stand Arrieta.  Piece of #### for throwing his manager under the bus.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Im sure that they havent been beneficial to him at all this year, given his great numbers...

it is tough to see it happen in the moment for any pitcher, I’m sure.  But maybe if they had gotten a run or rbi from any position player in the series, things would be looking better for everyone. 

I was posting it more for the reason that he openly blasted the manager. Didn’t watch the game so can’t comment on the shifts, just didn’t think it was cool he fired off so easily. But it does tell you that the pitchers probably aren’t thrilled with the defense game plan happening behind them. 

Edited by Billy Bats

4 hours ago, Billy Bats said:

I was posting it more for the reason that he openly blasted the manager. Didn’t watch the game so can’t comment on the shifts, just didn’t think it was cool he fired off so easily. But it does tell you that the pitchers probably aren’t thrilled with the defense game plan happening behind them. 

MLBN had the numbers up last night. They're not good to the point that 'not good' isn't doing their ineffectiveness justice. 

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

:goodposting: I get that Jake's a competitor, but not a good look. Complaining about the shift when the offense scored 1 run in 29 innings seems a bit silly.

47 minutes ago, Epic Problem said:

MLBN had the numbers up last night. They're not good to the point that 'not good' isn't doing their ineffectiveness justice. 

interesting.  would like to see this.

Sports Info Solutions data, which has the Phillies at minus-11 shift runs saved, by far the worst mark in baseball.

36 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

:goodposting: I get that Jake's a competitor, but not a good look. Complaining about the shift when the offense scored 1 run in 29 innings seems a bit silly.

When you accounted for that one run, you get a bit more leash 

21 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

And if that's the same numbers MLBN used, they're the only team doing themselves harm / negative 

So we had the MLB draft last week. Anyone know anything about these Young Cats we just got? I read a bit about our 1st round pick. 3B probably more of a 1B/LF. They describe him as a Pat Burrell type attacking hitter but he puts the ball in play and gets on base. One of the cool things about my old board was there was a lot of talking heads on there who knew their prospects and how I mostly kept up with the minors. 

After yesterdays 9th inning debacle Hecter Neris has been demoted to Too LV. Looks likely SerAnthony Dominguez could take on the closers role but nothing official yet

Posted (edited)

Well they really cocked this one up. 

Edited by Long Ball Larry

1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Well they really cocked this one up. 

Cocked it up like a fox. They can't stop winning despite themselves.

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

After yesterdays 9th inning debacle Hecter Neris has been demoted to Too LV. Looks likely SerAnthony Dominguez could take on the closers role but nothing official yet

There is no defined closer, since new-age Gabe doesn’t believe in a closer. 

:lol: 

Edited by Billy Bats

I kind of see Gabe's point though. This bullpen is garbage. If he saves Seranthony for the 9th, he'll never use him.

On a nice little run here. 4 series wins in a row. Let's go for the sweep of the Nats. That'd be huge in Washington.

Explain this Mike Moustakas thing like I'm an idiot. He's a 3rd baseman that has about the same numbers as Franco but is 4 years older. Why are the Phillies interested again?

7 hours ago, Insein said:

Explain this Mike Moustakas thing like I'm an idiot. He's a 3rd baseman that has about the same numbers as Franco but is 4 years older. Why are the Phillies interested again?

Jes play Jesuel I say.

Aaron Nola is an all star and pitching like an ace. This kid could be really special and we could be seeing our next Cole Hamels. Also I would not be opposed to selling high on Herrera. He's playing way over his head. I've seen this from him before but during the 6-0 loss to the Yanks I was at the game and on a DP he didn't hustle out a ground ball. That stuff just PO's me to no end. This guy is a hotdog out there playing way over his head. He's fast enough if he hustles to put some pressure on the fielders to make a good play. By not hustling you are just making the out almost as easy as if you had a pitcher or most catchers trying to run it out. Also we have ample OF depth already that we could trade Herrera. Just move a few guys around. Williams and Altherr can both play CF as well as Roman Quinn. Defensively Quinn is fairly solid it's the oftense other then his speed thats a huge question as well as health. Plus we got Mickey Moniak on the way at some point. 

Source tells TGP that the Phillies have become heavily focused on the Royals in trade talks, likely targeting Moustakas or Merrifield. In purely coincidental news, the Royals had a scout present in Reading last week.

Per Bob Nightengale

The #Orioles have discussed potentially packaging reliever Zach Britton with Manny Machado to enhance the prospect package they”ll receive from #Dodgers or anyone else

Take this with a grain of Salt as it comes from Jon Heyman who's more of a mouth piece for teams then anything else. He's reporting that Manny Machado is the Phillies main target and have the pieces to make it happen. Phillies had Scouts in Bal on Mon night and O's have had scouts in the Phillies minors. He also reports Brewers and Dodgers are potential most interested suitors as well as the D'backs and Yanks. The next option if not Machado is contrary to belief of a certain Royal 3B that the target is Royals infielder Whit Merrifeild. 

Supposedly us and Milwaukee are finalists for Manny. They (Bal) supposedly want it done by next week. 

Oh man. If that happens I’m all aboard. 

The Phils have the second best record in the NL but they kind of limped into the All Star break. If they can get Machado without emptying the farm, they need to do it. I don't think they win the world series with him but they do win the division and we'll see from there. Get a nice winning culture going and show Machado that we're on our way up and maybe he'll sign here for the Long haul. 

1 person likes this

I think the Phils have to be the heavy favorite to sign Machado long term.   They can write a blank check.  I don’t think the other major players can do that.  The question is do they give up prospects now  to make a run this year?  I think they absolutely should. With Machado, they probably  become the favorites to win the NL this year.

3 people like this

Here we go. Our first prediction followed by denouncements. 

@marksreesewip

A source told @JoeGiglioSports that "Machado to the Phils Wednesday morning" and that "Andy MacPhail is a magician"

2:21 PM · Jul 16, 2018

Roch Kubatko @masnRoch

Multiple sources say #orioles don’t have deal done with #phillies for Machado. #dodgers and #brewers also still involved. Told “very close” but nothing has been agreed upon yet

3:43 PM · Jul 16, 2018

We’ll see. :popcorn: 

Edited by Billy Bats
1 person likes this

On 7/14/2018 at 10:35 PM, Billy Bats said:

Supposedly us and Milwaukee are finalists for Manny. They (Bal) supposedly want it done by next week. 

Oh man. If that happens I’m all aboard. 

Salisbury gut feeling is they want Zac Britton packaged in the Manny Machado deal. I've heard a few rumors in the past the O's could trade Britton in a Machado package. 

6 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I think the Phils have to be the heavy favorite to sign Machado long term.   They can write a blank check.  I don’t think the other major players can do that.  The question is do they give up prospects now  to make a run this year?  I think they absolutely should. With Machado, they probably  become the favorites to win the NL this year.

Not only that but you are ahead of the game in contract talks. 

1 hour ago, DJackson10 said:

Not only that but you are ahead of the game in contract talks. 

Contract talks, shmrontack talks.  Machado wants to get paid and the Phils are in the best position to pay him the most.  None of the other big market teams have the flexibility that the Phils have.   

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Contract talks, shmrontack talks.  Machado wants to get paid and the Phils are in the best position to pay him the most.  None of the other big market teams have the flexibility that the Phils have.   

Middleton will give him a private jet if he wants one. Will have no problem giving him 10/300.

Then 10/350 to Harper. :eek: 

Edited by Billy Bats
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Billy Bats said:

Middleton will give him a private jet if he wants one. Will have no problem giving him 10/300.

Then 10/350 to Harper. :eek: 

That kind of money to Machado AND Harper?     :oldunsure: 

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

That kind of money to Machado AND Harper?     :oldunsure: 

Yeah why not?! Then they give Trout an 8/340 extension after they trade for him. #### it, the owner is a multi-billionaire, ain’t my money! 

2 people like this