What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread*** - Castellanos ****s wit Philly (3 Viewers)

I could end up being wrong, but I think the Phillies are going to regret that contract. And possibly sooner rather than later.
ehh, baseball different then all of the other sports. without a salary cap, I have no idea why baseball fans would care about a bad contract. not my money.

and my guess is it will be rough near the end, but we will get plenty of good years. honestly think the entire plan has been all about Trout coming here for a few years. I am sure that influenced Harper coming here. he will be motivated when Mike comes here too to be part of a top of the line lineup

From Andy Martino 

Late on Wednesday night, as the Phillies negotiated with Bryce Harper, the sides remained far apart on money, according to major league sources. Harper wanted to top Giancarlo Stanton's record $325 million contract, and the Phils were unsure if the even wanted to exceed $300 million.

On Thursday, the team stepped up and agreed with Harper on a 13-year, $330 million deal. A person with direct knowledge of negotiations said that the Phils were nowhere near that number early in the day.

The gave they breakdown by year. 

$30m the first year, $26m the next 9, $22m the last 3. That's really not bad. 

From Andy Martino 

Late on Wednesday night, as the Phillies negotiated with Bryce Harper, the sides remained far apart on money, according to major league sources. Harper wanted to top Giancarlo Stanton's record $325 million contract, and the Phils were unsure if the even wanted to exceed $300 million.

On Thursday, the team stepped up and agreed with Harper on a 13-year, $330 million deal. A person with direct knowledge of negotiations said that the Phils were nowhere near that number early in the day.
Middleton got involved because it was his reputation on the line. Probably just said get it done.

whole thing is nutty. i put some good money on Phils to win the NL at +700 and to win WS at +1400 and i will be a pissy Philadelphian if the dude signs with LA because he wants to live on the West Coast more and take less overall money
:hifive:     I got them at 8 to 1 in January (5th best in NL).  Now they are 9 to 2 (2nd best in NL).  God bless “stupid money”

ehh, baseball different then all of the other sports. without a salary cap, I have no idea why baseball fans would care about a bad contract. not my money.

and my guess is it will be rough near the end, but we will get plenty of good years. honestly think the entire plan has been all about Trout coming here for a few years. I am sure that influenced Harper coming here. he will be motivated when Mike comes here too to be part of a top of the line lineup
The match of Harper in the Philly market has to be one of the worst possible matches. A prima donna with the largest contract in history who frequently doesn't play hard, bristles at criticism, whines, fights with teammates, etc in Philly? Oof. This is destined to get ugly.

Looks pretty good in the red pinstripes.

Oh and when Bryce Harper gets his final paycheck from the Phillies in 2031, Bobby Bonilla will still be four years away from his final paycheck from the Mets. Always fun to get a Bobby Bo update. :lol:  
Is that still true? Jesus.

ETA: just looked. Till 2035. That's hilarious. I mean good planning for Bobby. He knew he'd blow that money if he got it all at once. Now he gets paid $1m a year until he's 72. Damn good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup 11 years from now the league minimum may be 22 million.  I kid but your point is true.
I feel like we’re definitely in line for a strike when the current mlbpa agreement is up in 2021. At that point, I’m guessing quicker paths to free agency and a salary floor will be on the table, at which point I’m guessing this contract looks pretty damn reasonable towards the end of it. 

Apparently it was big for him to get the guaranteed money in the later years and length was one of his most important things.  Welcome to philly

The match of Harper in the Philly market has to be one of the worst possible matches. A prima donna with the largest contract in history who frequently doesn't play hard, bristles at criticism, whines, fights with teammates, etc in Philly? Oof. This is destined to get ugly.
People might not like Harper but I don't think he's known for not playing hard.... I could be wrong

I mean he had a couple instances similar to jroll not running balls out

Last edited by a moderator:
People might not like Harper but I don't think he's known for not playing hard.... I could be wrong

I mean he had a couple instances similar to jroll not running balls out
from what i hear a lot of those instances were when he was injured or last year when he had to ensure he didn't get injured for this contract

well good news is we will find out. Guarantee if they are winning he could pee on the field and everyone would love him. Apparently the Phils got McCutchen knowing he is a good lockerroom guide and can help guide any of this.

i mean i think it is fair to give him a clean slate. i don't know how Washington was for him but he was obviously unhappy for a few years. I think if any of what you list occurs it will be later in the contract after the Phils have done well for a few years.

it also really seems this was set up for the Phils to pay big bucks to Trout in 2 years. if that occurs, Trout will be the leader of the team and i'm sure he can keep any of this in check if needed

Based on last year here is what we are replacing based on batting WAR.

2018 Phillies Catchers: 2.0 WAR (JT Realmuto 4.3 WAR) = +2.3

2018 Phillies Shortstops: -1.5 WAR (Jean Segura 4.3 WAR) = +5.8

2018 Phillies RF: -1.4 WAR (Bryce Harper 1.3 WAR) = +2.7

Carlos Santana 1.7 WAR (Andrew McCutcheon .8 WAR) = -0.8

Looks like a +9.9 WAR for the hitters. 

Team should win 90-92 games and make the playoffs.  

So Washington was asking Harper to defer $100mm of their $300mm offer. No wonder he balked at that. 

Welcome to philly. This is a good contract for all parties and allows them to add more guys (trout?). Going to be a fun summer. 

Based on last year here is what we are replacing based on batting WAR.

2018 Phillies Catchers: 2.0 WAR (JT Realmuto 4.3 WAR) = +2.3

2018 Phillies Shortstops: -1.5 WAR (Jean Segura 4.3 WAR) = +5.8

2018 Phillies RF: -1.4 WAR (Bryce Harper 1.3 WAR) = +2.7

Carlos Santana 1.7 WAR (Andrew McCutcheon .8 WAR) = -0.8

Looks like a +9.9 WAR for the hitters. 

Team should win 90-92 games and make the playoffs.  
And both Cutch and Harper should improve on their numbers from 2018. 

So Washington was asking Harper to defer $100mm of their $300mm offer. No wonder he balked at that. 

Welcome to philly. This is a good contract for all parties and allows them to add more guys (trout?). Going to be a fun summer. 
I remember when Magic Johnson signed the 25 year, 25 million dollar deal with the Lakers.  I thought that is the best contract ever to get one million a year for 25 years.

I don` think you are wrong..but Harper might regret it first. Either way this one won`t end well.
He'll be 39 at the end of his contract. No one expects it to "end well". As long as the first 8-9 years go as anticipated, everything will be fine. 

They're saying he didnt want the opt-outs because he wanted to show that he was committed to the team and to help recruit other players to come join him. Wonder what BIG FISH he could be thinking about recruiting? 🐟

He'll be 39 at the end of his contract. No one expects it to "end well". As long as the first 8-9 years go as anticipated, everything will be fine. 

They're saying he didnt want the opt-outs because he wanted to show that he was committed to the team and to help recruit other players to come join him. Wonder what BIG FISH he could be thinking about recruiting? 🐟
Him and trout seem cool too.  And they both want to win.  Both haven't been able to so far.....

Trout.  Which I'm sure harper must know is a real possibility.  Man if Phillies end up getting trout they will run the national league for years
Jim Bowden just predicted Trout and Harper will be in Philly together playing in 2 yrs. Bryce wanted his next contract to be his last so he could recruit players to play with him but I don't think Trout needs much recruiting come home. 

I feel like we’re definitely in line for a strike when the current mlbpa agreement is up in 2021. At that point, I’m guessing quicker paths to free agency and a salary floor will be on the table, at which point I’m guessing this contract looks pretty damn reasonable towards the end of it. 
I've always said MLB needs a quicker path to FA for Players. Cap floor has been discussed numerous times especially with the Marlins issues. 

When Bryce Contract ends just remember the Mets will stay be paying Bobby Bonilla for 3 more seasons after that. 

Doesn't play hard? Harper is far from that especially what most writers say one of the hardest working players. He got on teammates fighting with them for not playing hard Thats a guy I want on my team. Most of these young bucks in Baseball are a bunch of hotdogging ####### who HR watch and then when they hit the ball long act like they won the WS in their 50th AB of the season. Then they pop or ground out and they won't hustle to first. If that guy was on my team I'm getting in his face and going to the manager and GM to bench his ###. Harper is exactly the type of guy Philly wants. 

well good news is we will find out. Guarantee if they are winning he could pee on the field and everyone would love him. Apparently the Phils got McCutchen knowing he is a good lockerroom guide and can help guide any of this.

i mean i think it is fair to give him a clean slate. i don't know how Washington was for him but he was obviously unhappy for a few years. I think if any of what you list occurs it will be later in the contract after the Phils have done well for a few years.

it also really seems this was set up for the Phils to pay big bucks to Trout in 2 years. if that occurs, Trout will be the leader of the team and i'm sure he can keep any of this in check if needed
Harper was calling out teammates for lack of accountability since the manager or GM or anyone on the team wouldn't do it. SO as one of the veterans he started doing this. I'm Facebook friends with Brett Myers who goes live from time to time and was watching the WBC last year complaining about how Younger guys today carry themselves. Called a lot of the young guys soft and lazy, hot dogs, dawgs on Grounders and pop flys but hits a HR in the 1st inning and acts like they won the game. He said do to. players attitudes in his later years after leaving the Phillies it made his decision to retire even easier. He said he would've been one of those guys performance goes down but because of his love of the game wouldn't know when to hang em up but the newer environment of basball and managers and GMs babying players now made it a lot easier for him to finally retire. Harper actually is old school in his approach but with the new school feel. Point is baseball overall is changing. We're getting more Jose Reyes characters and less Utley's and Pete Roses. Guys who care about getting on highlight and not just wins. 

Welcome to philly. This is a good contract for all parties and allows them to add more guys (trout?). Going to be a funner summer. 
 fixed it for you. Boy do I miss Doc 

Who would've thought 6 yrs ago when some cocky punk ### kid named Bryce Harper would debut for the Washington Nationals and our Beloved Cole Hamels intentionally hits Harper and admits he did it intentionally because he deserved it (We all cheered Cole). Would end up coming to Philly to play for the Phillies in 2019 with the largest contract in American Sports history?

Harper said he chose #3 instead of 34 in respect to Halladay. No one should wear that Number again. Said he could've asked Phillies 3B Mikel Franco for & as Micky Mantle was Dad's favorite player growing up but didn't want to put that kind of Pressure on him. I agree with ken Rosenthal's comments on MLB Network after the PC. This was a great day for Baseball and the fans. The Fans finally got to see the Harper many of them in the media have grown to know and love. The Fans always saw the head on Fire passionate guy and yes he's the type of player you hate if he's not on your team and love if he is, but Harper showed he's a student of the game, well versed in the history of baseball and very smart individual as whole. 

is there no tampering in baseball?
Mike Trout still has a team and teammates and all.  I don't know what Harper's relationship is with Trout but if it isn't great,  I could see this being a huge turnoff to Trout.  Harper seems to be trying really hard and I don't understand why.     :shrug:  

fred_1_15301 said:
Mike Trout still has a team and teammates and all.  I don't know what Harper's relationship is with Trout but if it isn't great,  I could see this being a huge turnoff to Trout.  Harper seems to be trying really hard and I don't understand why.     :shrug:  
harper doesnt really strike me as a smart guy

Users who are viewing this thread