What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread*** - Castellanos ****s wit Philly (4 Viewers)

Phils closing in on a deal for Jay Bruce. 

Not sure what he has left but I guess he's a guy that can hit for power still.

That's a very aggressive promotion of Haseley.

Is Scott Kingery a viable option in CF?
I dont believe Kingery is a viable option in CF. I also think they are giving him a shot to take over 3B.

Im not really sure Haseley is a viable CF either. I think they projected him as more of a corner OF.

Quinn is probably the best option to be the CF if he ever gets healthy. Unfortunately, he's made of glass. 

It's all hands in deck at this point. They need to get a starting pitcher or 2 to help that bullpen. If we can have 3 starters get to the 7th consistently, that would help immensely.

It's all hands in deck at this point. They need to get a starting pitcher or 2 to help that bullpen. If we can have 3 starters get to the 7th consistently, that would help immensely.
Yeah I mean why bother signing keuchel?

Might as well let him go to our chief rival.

smdh

though reading about keuchel did lead me to learn that Ryan Howard now works on air for espn...

After a devastating loss, you come back with the "Ace" of your staff needing a solid outing to right the ship. And he gives up 5 runs in less than 5 innings.

Bullpen gave it up last night. Bailed them out tonight. No runs in 4 2/3 innings. Excellent bounce back. Now close out the series tomorrow.

Nola might be the biggest bust in the league this year.  I don't know what has happened to that guy.  He looked like he was truly becoming an elite pitcher in the league.  But then I hear a comment from Johnny Marks a few days ago - "Nola is a better pitcher than Cole Hamels ever was in his career".  So now I'm stumped.   :confused:  

Last edited by a moderator:
And Eickhoff gave up 2 HRs in one relief inning today.  That guy needs to be sent to AAA after today.  He's absolutely horrific.  

Our hitting and defense stinks too.

Other than that, we're pretty great though. 
Defense we're actually ranked 3rd in field %. Someone was saying their excuse for not getting Keichel was that he pitches to contact. We probably could use someone like that because walks and strikeouts are forcing our pitchers out in the 5th inning. So I'm putting the blame on Klintak. He's got a lot of work to do these next couple months.

I'm ready to cut Neshak. He's a headcase. He's always injured and then when he does pitch, he gives up home runs. #### him. 

Also, I think we highly overrated this team. We knew the pitching wasn't that good but figured the offense would be scoring 5-6 runs a game to get us through. They are not. Harper is getting a lot of walks lately but when no one can drive him in what's the point. 

I knew McCutcheon meant a lot to this team but I didn't think he meant this much. The offense has disappeared since he went down.

I'm ready to cut Neshak. He's a headcase. He's always injured and then when he does pitch, he gives up home runs. #### him. 

Also, I think we highly overrated this team. We knew the pitching wasn't that good but figured the offense would be scoring 5-6 runs a game to get us through. They are not. Harper is getting a lot of walks lately but when no one can drive him in what's the point. 

I knew McCutcheon meant a lot to this team but I didn't think he meant this much. The offense has disappeared since he went down.
Harper is a big part of the problem.  Walk rate is down, strikeout rate is up, less power and he's still hitting under .250.  I don't know if he's feeling pressure but he's been pretty bad since joining the team.  I thought Cutch was done so I was shocked with the type of season that he started with.  I'm a huge Cutch fan so I was crushed when he got hurt.  He's such an amazing leader and you can't discredit how important that is.  

he was good for a lot of the first month, went into a slump and now is coming back.

His exit velocity and hard hit % are still really good and actually looking at some of the sxtats, he has actually been getting a bit unlucky: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/bryce-harper-547180?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb

Not time to rejoice, but certainly no reason to overreact 2 months in to a 13-year contract.
Not overreacting but for the contract that he signed, you expect him to perform a lot better.  It seems like he's getting a bit of a pass in this town.  

Not overreacting but for the contract that he signed, you expect him to perform a lot better.  It seems like he's getting a bit of a pass in this town.  
He's here for the Long haul. For better or worse we're not getting rid of him for the next decade. So I think people are in a hold pattern waiting and hoping he gets out of this funk. If this last the whole year, he's going to have a hell of an off-season #### storm to deal with.

He's here for the Long haul. For better or worse we're not getting rid of him for the next decade. So I think people are in a hold pattern waiting and hoping he gets out of this funk. If this last the whole year, he's going to have a hell of an off-season #### storm to deal with.
Yup that's true.  He's gotta get out of it.  Hunter freaking Pence has like 15 or 16 HRs.  Every average Joe is hitting home runs this year.  

Might be time to shut it down. We might be back with the Nationals by the end of this week end. I'm not sure how it fell apart this fast but this is a disaster. 

I've been defending Gabe but these players don't GAF. About to be 5-11 in June.

Might be time to shut it down. We might be back with the Nationals by the end of this week end. I'm not sure how it fell apart this fast but this is a disaster. 

I've been defending Gabe but these players don't GAF. About to be 5-11 in June.
They did some great things in the off season to address the lineup but they didn't do nearly enough to address the pitching.  Why couldn't they have gone after Morton, Happ (who has sucked this year) or even Keuchel?  Granted nobody expected Nola to completely tank but even if Nola were pitching like an ace, this rotation was not good enough.  Arrieta has been on the decline for a while and the rest of the staff was too inconsistent or unproven.  I thought the Phils had unlimited resources.  I don't understand why they couldn't add to their pitching.  

They did some great things in the off season to address the lineup but they didn't do nearly enough to address the pitching.  Why couldn't they have gone after Morton, Happ (who has sucked this year) or even Keuchel?  Granted nobody expected Nola to completely tank but even if Nola were pitching like an ace, this rotation was not good enough.  Arrieta has been on the decline for a while and the rest of the staff was too inconsistent or unproven.  I thought the Phils had unlimited resources.  I don't understand why they couldn't add to their pitching.  
They made the tag line of "stupid money" but got gun-shy after going to $330 for Bryce.

And when Jay Bruce is suddenly your best hitter, you've got problems.  Good news - it's still very early and on paper they should be one of the more talented lineups in the NL.  If they can hover until the trade deadline, a move or two could put them back as contenders again.  I wonder if they could acquire Bauer (although I doubt the Indians are sellers) or Bumgarner.  

Last thing and then I'll make my way out of here.  That division looks like it's going to be really good for years to come.  The Braves and Nats have some sick young talent and both teams have better pitching than the Phillies.  The Braves look to be loaded for many years (Acuna, Albies, Riley, Freeman, Soroka all cost controlled).   They might be the next Astros.

Last thing and then I'll make my way out of here.  That division looks like it's going to be really good for years to come.  The Braves and Nats have some sick young talent and both teams have better pitching than the Phillies.  The Braves look to be loaded for many years (Acuna, Albies, Riley, Freeman, Soroka all cost controlled).   They might be the next Astros.
Braves pitching isn't that good. Nats is though. Mets is too. Phillies were going to rely on the bats this year but they need arms bad.

Braves pitching isn't that good. Nats is though. Mets is too. Phillies were going to rely on the bats this year but they need arms bad.
Maybe not right now but I'm thinking longer term.  Soroka has ace potential (we're already seeing it this year).  If Folty gets healthy, he's a solid 2 or 3.  I don't know too much about their farm but I'm assuming they have the ability to spend some money (given that they have so much elite, young talent).  

Maybe not right now but I'm thinking longer term.  Soroka has ace potential (we're already seeing it this year).  If Folty gets healthy, he's a solid 2 or 3.  I don't know too much about their farm but I'm assuming they have the ability to spend some money (given that they have so much elite, young talent).  
Loaded with pitching. Braves are going to be really good for a long time, unfortunately.

The whole thing is sad. We went from 3.5 games up to 4.5 back in a matter of 3 weeks. That's epically bad.

The thing is, if this was last year, I'd just accept it and say "Yea we figured that was going to happen, oh well." This year they set expectations that they'd be title contenders. So I was excited again. And they're not. Hell last year's team didn't fall apart until late August. This year they're just cutting out the middle man I guess. 

Finishing out the 4 game sweep was nice. Thank God for the Mets to be a slump buster. Need to carry that into Miami and get a little payback this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread