What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gold Rush: Alaska (1 Viewer)

CrossEyed

Footballguy
Anyone else watching this? These guys are gonna die up there, I think. I understand they're all desperate, but I think they're also nuts. The old guy reminds me of Uncle Jesse.

Quite possibly the dumbest collection of men ever put together in one place. It has to be schtick because no way could people be this dumb.

Watching now. They are building a community house? WTF? Also some idiot is living in a tent.

How about this. You leave the children at home and you work your ### off for 3 months looking for gold.

Morons.

I'm not really following how these people are out of work and poor, but they have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and supplies. I'm not out of work, but if I was, I'd have a hard time paying the bills let alone buying all of that stuff. They have a bunch of wives that clearly don't work. They're portrayed as a bunch of guys hit hard by the recession, but it seems more like they just want to hit it rich instead of just grinding along like the rest of us.

I want to like the show but I think it's completely staged. No way a bunch of "poor guys" set up the logistics to make that happen by themselves. Tell me how they're provisoning food and fuel for all of that? And the whole bridge/river crossing scene just smelled of being completely staged.

I am, however, looking forward to the show in January they are advertising about the family that owns the bush pilot company

I'm not really following how these people are out of work and poor, but they have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and supplies. I'm not out of work, but if I was, I'd have a hard time paying the bills let alone buying all of that stuff. They have a bunch of wives that clearly don't work. They're portrayed as a bunch of guys hit hard by the recession, but it seems more like they just want to hit it rich instead of just grinding along like the rest of us.
Todd owned an aviation business, so I would imagine he was able to make some money selling his equipment. I know at least one of the other guys tapped into his retirement fund.Seems a little foolish to me, but I can see how that many guys could scrape together the cash to give that a shot.

Just a word of advice to y'all, Reality shows, aren't. They are all works at some level or the other, usually manipulated through producer pushing and editing and building storylines out of a single soundbyte they'll get in hour long interviews they'll do with "contestants" twice a week.

Really enjoying this show. Its pretty much a train wreck, but that's what you get when you throw a bunch of noobs into the wilderness trying to search for gold. The mechanic, Harness, is one tough SOB. I really don't know how someone could work day and night doing the type of work he's doing while going through morphine withdrawals and in addition having to bear the pain that the morphine was concealing. He's the only one of the bunch worth a damn. The rest of the guys are just riding his coattails.

Really enjoying this show. Its pretty much a train wreck, but that's what you get when you throw a bunch of noobs into the wilderness trying to search for gold. The mechanic, Harness, is one tough SOB. I really don't know how someone could work day and night doing the type of work he's doing while going through morphine withdrawals and in addition having to bear the pain that the morphine was concealing. He's the only one of the bunch worth a damn. The rest of the guys are just riding his coattails.
This is like whale wars but on the other side of the political spectrum. Same level of dumbness and for that DC should be applauded.

Any chance they all get eaten by polar bears?
hell yeah, there's a chance we ALL get eaten by polar bears

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Polar_B...nspiracy_Theory

but anyway, I watched a few episodes and my issue is this:

Who risks it all on gold mining, goes up there having to set up all this complex equipment they do not understand, and takes one half crippled morphine addict as his only mechanic.

Seriously, no way I can see THAT coming back to bite him on the bum

I think they're out of their minds, but I give it to them for having the balls (some would say lack of brains which is partially true) to take that chance. I would never do that. Way too much risk. The amount of planning that had to be done to even get to the point they're out now is astronomical. The biggest decision most guys have to make is buying a house. These guys had to bring all that equipment up there, the food, the fuel, the housing, the ridiculous amount of tools and spare parts, all that wood to make that house, it just boggles the mind how much stuff they had to bring up there.

Who risks it all on gold mining, goes up there having to set up all this complex equipment they do not understand, and takes one half crippled morphine addict as his only mechanic.

If the story is genuine, how many mechanics do you think they know that would be willing to go to Alaska for 6 months to look for gold? And only get paid if they find gold?

If the story is genuine, how many mechanics do you think they know that would be willing to go to Alaska for 6 months to look for gold? And only get paid if they find gold?
Well if you can't find more than the 1/2 they have, then you call off the plan.

Come on now, Harness is a gamer. That guy has more heart than 95% of people I've ever met.

Come on now, Harness is a gamer. That guy has more heart than 95% of people I've ever met.
Yeah, I'd like to meet the guys that claim they have more heart than that guy.

he has a bad back

he is a morphine addict

i saw them use a rope to pull him from a pit because his legs stopped working

listen, my grandpa kicked nazi ### in WW2, is the toughest SOB I know, and can fix damn near anything

I am not taking him as my only mechanic in a business venture in the wilderness that my financial lively hood depends on

How have none of these guys died yet?
Especially Dorsey. Can't believe he left his wife there and went to work on a fishing boat. :lmao:
At first I thought he was going on some month long fishing job like in deadliest catch. He was just going to be gone for the day. What the hell was his wife whining about? She could've just hung around town with the kids for the day until he got back that evening.

I missed the first few episodes of this show. How is the financing and payout structured? Did the main guy and his dad bankroll the whole thing or has everyone chipped in? How do they split the loot?

BTW loved that 15 year old dropping science on 'em.

Love this show. And the show before it - Flying Wild Alaska or whatever it is. Aeriel Tweto - smokin'.

I know Jimmy Dorsey and his wife Joy. My mother is best friends with Joy's mom and Joy and I grew up together.

What you see of Jimmy on the show is Jimmy. He suffers from ADD and it comes across on the show. That being said, he is extremely intelligent and gifted. Jimmy has spent time as a snow board instructor, wind surfer instructor, musician, and got his real estate license during the housing boom. Joy is a sweetheart and great person. Deeply committed to her husband and kids. Joy is a very talented musician and has a Portland Oregon based Rockabilly band called "Joy and Her Sentimental Gentleman".

From what I understand, this whole idea started with the guys at church and they pitched it to the networks. They only get a portion of what they find in gold, the network takes a cut as well.

My mom recently told me that Jimmy doesn't talk to the guys anymore and they don't attend the same church. After watching the show...i'm not surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Jimmy Dorsey and his wife Joy. My mother is best friends with Joy's mom and Joy and I grew up together.What you see of Jimmy on the show is Jimmy. He suffers from ADD and it comes across on the show. That being said, he is extremely intelligent and gifted. Jimmy has spent time as a snow board instructor, wind surfer instructor, musician, and got his real estate license during the housing boom. Joy is a sweetheart and great person. Deeply committed to her husband and kids. Joy is a very talented musician and has a Portland Oregon based Rockabilly band called "Joy and Her Sentimental Gentleman". From what I understand, this whole idea started with the guys at church and they pitched it to the networks. They only get a portion of what they find in gold, the network takes a cut as well. My mom recently told me that Jimmy doesn't talk to the guys anymore and they don't attend the same church. After watching the show...i'm not surprised.
After watching the preview for the next show, looks like Dorsey wasn't the biggest dumb ### there. Just the most convenient goat.

I know Jimmy Dorsey and his wife Joy. My mother is best friends with Joy's mom and Joy and I grew up together.What you see of Jimmy on the show is Jimmy. He suffers from ADD and it comes across on the show. That being said, he is extremely intelligent and gifted. Jimmy has spent time as a snow board instructor, wind surfer instructor, musician, and got his real estate license during the housing boom. Joy is a sweetheart and great person. Deeply committed to her husband and kids. Joy is a very talented musician and has a Portland Oregon based Rockabilly band called "Joy and Her Sentimental Gentleman". From what I understand, this whole idea started with the guys at church and they pitched it to the networks. They only get a portion of what they find in gold, the network takes a cut as well. My mom recently told me that Jimmy doesn't talk to the guys anymore and they don't attend the same church. After watching the show...i'm not surprised.
One of the reasons I love this place. Somebody here knows just about everyone. :thumbup:Did they really lose their house?

After watching the preview for the next show, looks like Dorsey wasn't the biggest dumb ### there. Just the most convenient goat.
That's my impression as well. Apparently, incompetence is what drives the show.
I wouldn't call it incompetence, as much as I would call it desperation. From the sounds of it on the show, all those families were standing on the edge of the abyss financially. So I believe they pushed all their chips in on a 10-6...praying that they'd get a little lucky.That said, if it was that easy to pull gold out of the ground, you'd think they would think/realize that they'd have tens of thousands of "neighbors" up there around Porcupine Creek. Easy money is a myth. Either that, or easy money will find you dead or in prison in the not-too-distant future. :goodposting: I don't see them as stupid/incompetent though...just desperate.

That's my impression as well. Apparently, incompetence is what drives the show.
I wouldn't call it incompetence, as much as I would call it desperation. From the sounds of it on the show, all those families were standing on the edge of the abyss financially. So I believe they pushed all their chips in on a 10-6...praying that they'd get a little lucky.That said, if it was that easy to pull gold out of the ground, you'd think they would think/realize that they'd have tens of thousands of "neighbors" up there around Porcupine Creek. Easy money is a myth. Either that, or easy money will find you dead or in prison in the not-too-distant future. :yes: I don't see them as stupid/incompetent though...just desperate.
I think it is more incompetence than desperation, and while I agree that it's not easy to pull the gold out of the ground, they have made a lot of mistakes. It has been five months, and they have only yielded about 3 ounces of gold. Right from the get go, they said they did not know if the equipment even worked, and now we are finding out that they have been doing it all wrong. If you had everything on the line, why wouldn't you at least test the equiment at home before you left. Wouldn't you have one person spend all their time just panning the silt. They have precious resources, yet they all bring their families into bear country, and spend valuable time building homes for them, when inevitably, they have to send them home due to lack of said resources. And I am not even going to mention the fuel fiasco, the drug addicted mechanic, the random digging and bickering and infighting.

I think it is more incompetence than desperation, and while I agree that it's not easy to pull the gold out of the ground, they have made a lot of mistakes. It has been five months, and they have only yielded about 3 ounces of gold. Right from the get go, they said they did not know if the equipment even worked, and now we are finding out that they have been doing it all wrong. If you had everything on the line, why wouldn't you at least test the equiment at home before you left. Wouldn't you have one person spend all their time just panning the silt. They have precious resources, yet they all bring their families into bear country, and spend valuable time building homes for them, when inevitably, they have to send them home due to lack of said resources. And I am not even going to mention the fuel fiasco, the drug addicted mechanic, the random digging and bickering and infighting.
I'd still say it's more desperation which has lead to some stupid, stupid decisions. The stupidest decision of them all being to pick up and leave Oregon to hunt for gold in Alaska in the first place! Then compound that microscopic-odds bet by dragging your families up there too...where it's costing more money, not to mention the dangers from Bears and mosquitoes the size of 747s. ;) So why does a group of grown men and their wives make this type of poor bet on their financial futures? Because they're desperate. You think people who are homeless or about to lose their jobs/homes sit around and weigh the costs and benefits of committing crimes, or do you think they are acting out of fear, hunger, survival, etc.? Crime is illogical too...as the costs often-times far outweigh the benefits (or if the costs don't greatly outweigh the benefits, then something is seriously wrong with our legal system). So why do people do it? Desperation. Hopelessness. Anger/Frustration. Et al.They were idiots before they even crossed the border into Washington State! That said, *why* they made a decision like that, I think, outweighed any rational, logical thought on the subject. They were going under financially, and decided to take one big swing for the fences.

Love this show. And the show before it - Flying Wild Alaska or whatever it is. Aeriel Tweto - smokin'.
I watched both shows for the first time this Friday and as soon as I saw Ariel, I thought that she looked very familiar. It took about a minute before I remembered where I had seen her before.She was on the first season of Wipeout and then was on the follow-up All-Stars episode in Season 2. She was "the girl that had never been kissed".

First time watching this show today and I have to say, I agree that these are some real dopes with heavy equipment in the woods. All that is missing is a guy yelling look at this everyone, before throwing a switch and you have a true redneck backyard setup.

Why did they not use the wives panning earlier? They are there, they are useless...put them to work.

I watched both shows for the first time this Friday and as soon as I saw Ariel, I thought that she looked very familiar. It took about a minute before I remembered where I had seen her before.She was on the first season of Wipeout and then was on the follow-up All-Stars episode in Season 2. She was "the girl that had never been kissed".
:) I recognized her immediately. She was smokin' there, too. Nice runner's legs (evidently she runs a great deal).

I know Jimmy Dorsey and his wife Joy. My mother is best friends with Joy's mom and Joy and I grew up together.

What you see of Jimmy on the show is Jimmy. He suffers from ADD and it comes across on the show. That being said, he is extremely intelligent and gifted. Jimmy has spent time as a snow board instructor, wind surfer instructor, musician, and got his real estate license during the housing boom. Joy is a sweetheart and great person. Deeply committed to her husband and kids. Joy is a very talented musician and has a Portland Oregon based Rockabilly band called "Joy and Her Sentimental Gentleman".

From what I understand, this whole idea started with the guys at church and they pitched it to the networks. They only get a portion of what they find in gold, the network takes a cut as well.

My mom recently told me that Jimmy doesn't talk to the guys anymore and they don't attend the same church. After watching the show...i'm not surprised.
One of the reasons I love this place. Somebody here knows just about everyone. :popcorn: Did they really lose their house?
No...they own a duplex and lived in one half while renting out the other. For the show, they rented their half and moved in with Joy's mom until they left for Alaska. They still own the duplex and did not lose it...my guess is it made for a better storyline.

datonn said:
GreenbayBuckeye said:
I'd still say it's more desperation which has lead to some stupid, stupid decisions. The stupidest decision of them all being to pick up and leave Oregon to hunt for gold in Alaska in the first place! Then compound that microscopic-odds bet by dragging your families up there too...where it's costing more money, not to mention the dangers from Bears and mosquitoes the size of 747s. :excited: So why does a group of grown men and their wives make this type of poor bet on their financial futures? Because they're desperate. You think people who are homeless or about to lose their jobs/homes sit around and weigh the costs and benefits of committing crimes, or do you think they are acting out of fear, hunger, survival, etc.? Crime is illogical too...as the costs often-times far outweigh the benefits (or if the costs don't greatly outweigh the benefits, then something is seriously wrong with our legal system). So why do people do it? Desperation. Hopelessness. Anger/Frustration. Et al.They were idiots before they even crossed the border into Washington State! That said, *why* they made a decision like that, I think, outweighed any rational, logical thought on the subject. They were going under financially, and decided to take one big swing for the fences.
You kind of describe why people put all they owned into covered wagons in Ohio or Massachusetts and set out for California or Oregon back in the 1840s. Or why the Pilgrims left England for the unknown of the New World in the 16th century.

Loving this show lately :thumbup:

These guys are like the keystone cops but shockingly it looks like they're finally hitting paydirt

I'd still say it's more desperation which has lead to some stupid, stupid decisions. The stupidest decision of them all being to pick up and leave Oregon to hunt for gold in Alaska in the first place! Then compound that microscopic-odds bet by dragging your families up there too...where it's costing more money, not to mention the dangers from Bears and mosquitoes the size of 747s. :goodposting: So why does a group of grown men and their wives make this type of poor bet on their financial futures? Because they're desperate. You think people who are homeless or about to lose their jobs/homes sit around and weigh the costs and benefits of committing crimes, or do you think they are acting out of fear, hunger, survival, etc.? Crime is illogical too...as the costs often-times far outweigh the benefits (or if the costs don't greatly outweigh the benefits, then something is seriously wrong with our legal system). So why do people do it? Desperation. Hopelessness. Anger/Frustration. Et al.They were idiots before they even crossed the border into Washington State! That said, *why* they made a decision like that, I think, outweighed any rational, logical thought on the subject. They were going under financially, and decided to take one big swing for the fences.
You kind of describe why people put all they owned into covered wagons in Ohio or Massachusetts and set out for California or Oregon back in the 1840s. Or why the Pilgrims left England for the unknown of the New World in the 16th century.
Yep...I know why they did it. It's a stupid decision (or at least a decision with a low probability of success), but desperate times call for desperate measures. I get that, completely.Although from the last episode (another $7-$8K in gold recovered), maybe they're on their way to being lucky! Even if they do get lucky and net well-above the $275,000-$300,000+ they will have sunk into the decision, that still doesn't make it a smart decision! That said, I do wish them all the best...as none of us need the weight of debt/creditors hanging over our heads, and I wouldn't personally wish that on almost anyone.

A lot of speculation wondering WHY these guys are doing this even when they are so inexperienced, are broke, and they really don't know what they are doing????

Because it's a TV SHOW. It's "reality TV". A lot of these shows are not as real as you may think they are. Finding a lot of info behind the scenes. The real genius was Todd Hoffman pitching the idea and the Discovery Channel jumping on it. Great concept! Bunch of guys down on their luck, looking for a fortune, but bumbling around trying to do it.

They are making money from the show. They are already talking about a season 2.

Fun and interesting to watch for sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread